PDA

View Full Version : Fuel prices

gingernut
07-May-11, 20:20
Perhaps you've covered this in previous threads so sorry if I'm digging up old ground but I would like to know why most of the filling stations in Caithness do not have their prices on display.
I've travelled the length of Britain in recent months and Caithness seems to be the only place where this happens.
I personally refuse to buy from the ones that don't display their prices.
What do others think?:~(

bekisman
07-May-11, 20:29
Let's 'em drive in, then they're trapped ;)

Corrie 3
07-May-11, 20:34
I personally woudnt go into any filling station that didnt show their prices, it means they have something to hide doesnt it?

Stick to good old Tesco is my advice!!!

C3....:roll:;)

Spongeboab
07-May-11, 21:43
i thought it was simply because the number is too long to display.

prices at the older pumps haven't been on the large boards since it went over a pound a litre, adding an extra digit wasn't an option.

abz02
08-May-11, 08:43
I personally woudnt go into any filling station that didnt show their prices, it means they have something to hide doesnt it?

Stick to good old Tesco is my advice!!!

C3....:roll:;)
Well i would think again about using tesco petrol, yes it may be cheaper but you will pay for it in the long run,i.e this petrol is not refined the same as other petrol, giving catalytic converter and valve stem problems, as far as living in caithness and nobody displaying there prices, who cares we could boycott all we like, bottom line being if you need it you'll buy it if not get rid of the car and get the bus which will open another thread about folk complaining about how rubbish the public transport can be in caithness.

Tubthumper
08-May-11, 09:09
They could get signs with light up digits that link to the computer that controls the pumps. That way they wouldn't have all the delay involved in reducing their forecourt price as soon as prices go down (because their tank contents were bought at a higher price), although they seem to have no problem doing it as soon as the prices go up (despite their tanks being filled at a lower price). We, their faithful customers, could see clearly where bargains were to be had. Also we could be assured that no 'price-fixing' was going on. We could also make an informed judgement based on fuel quality, like any 'engine-protecting additives' or even the source of more expensive fuel.

But I'm afraid that our local filling stations haven't made enough money for their owners to justify spending on such fripperies over the years. Too bad for us.

ducati
08-May-11, 09:50
Well i would think again about using tesco petrol, yes it may be cheaper but you will pay for it in the long run,i.e this petrol is not refined the same as other petrol, giving catalytic converter and valve stem problems, as far as living in caithness and nobody displaying there prices, who cares we could boycott all we like, bottom line being if you need it you'll buy it if not get rid of the car and get the bus which will open another thread about folk complaining about how rubbish the public transport can be in caithness.

I've done 100s of thousands of miles on various cars both Diesel and Petrol fueled almost exclusively at supermarkets. No problems at all. I must be lucky ;)

Tubthumper
08-May-11, 10:09
I've done 100s of thousands of miles on various cars both Diesel and Petrol fueled almost exclusively at supermarkets. No problems at all. I must be lucky ;) But just think of the local jobs you've not supported! Selfish you are...

Tubthumper
08-May-11, 10:11
But I'm afraid that our local filling stations haven't made enough money for their owners to justify spending on such fripperies over the years. Too bad for us.
Or even to do things like repair or remove the collapsed showroom serving for three years as a 'Welcome to Wick' diorama.

bekisman
08-May-11, 10:30
I've done 100s of thousands of miles on various cars both Diesel and Petrol fueled almost exclusively at supermarkets. No problems at all. I must be lucky ;)

Me too - never used any other but supermarket fuel (up here, like to help pay the wages of those local Tesco workers)

Tubthumper
08-May-11, 10:44
[SIZE=2]Me too - never used any other but supermarket fuel
Where does that come from, the special Inverness tanks for inferior quality fuel?

dafi
08-May-11, 11:32
Its pretty obvious that local independant garages wont display their prices as it is going to drive folks to the supermarkets, supermarkets that are undercutting the independants, independants that are buying in their fuel at the wholesale price the supermarkets are retailing it for.

Local retailers are not stuffing you its the wholesalers that are!!!

bekisman
08-May-11, 11:51
Where does that come from, the special Inverness tanks for inferior quality fuel?

I repeat: "No problems at all." so IF their tanks are as you state, I wonder why these supermarkets share of the fuel supply is increasing - presume we're all happy with knackered engines just to save a few pennies..

Incidentally have you ever purchased supermarket fuel?

Kodiak
08-May-11, 12:14

You do not know what you are talking about.

The Fuel that Tesco sells is exactly the same as any other Fuel Station in Caithness. All the Fuel Tankers for all Companies in Caithness get their fuel from the same place so there is no difference.

As to getting rid of your car and getting a Bus. HUH What Busses there are none.

You clearly have issues with Tesco and trying to run down the quality of their fuel will not work. You should not make sweeping remarks about the quality of the Fuel at Tesco without providing any proof.

Tubthumper
08-May-11, 12:40
Local retailers are not stuffing you its the wholesalers that are!!!
That's a good point. Why isn't anyone raising the issue or doing anything about it? I would have thought our under-pressure local retailers would have been up in arms lang syne, but the only thing they ever said to me was 'look at how much duty you're paying...'

Kodiak
08-May-11, 12:44
That's a good point. Why isn't anyone raising the issue or doing anything about it? I would have thought our under-pressure local retailers would have been up in arms lang syne, but the only thing they ever said to me was 'look at how much duty you're paying...'

It may come as a surprise to you Tubthumper but Tesco pay the same Duty on Fuel as any other Fuel Retailer. The difference comes down to the amount of profit they are willing to accept.

carrepairman
08-May-11, 13:08
I can speak from bitter experience, when I had pumps at the garage [this in the SE of England], Tesco, Asda, Safeway and Morrisons all sold fuel cheaper than I could buy if for.

Walter Ego
08-May-11, 13:40
Well i would think again about using tesco petrol, yes it may be cheaper but you will pay for it in the long run,i.e this petrol is not refined the same as other petrol, giving catalytic converter and valve stem problems,

Thats just a Myth. Talk to the tanker drivers.

bekisman
08-May-11, 15:34
Talking about fuel, I wonder if this one will go anywhere?

'Fuel protesters are staging a go-slow on major routes towards Cheshire's Stanlow oil refinery, where they plan to impose a blockade.
The M56, M62 and M6 in Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Staffordshire are affected along with the A55 in north Wales and the A5 in Shropshire.
About 600 lorry drivers, farmers and bikers are joining 20mph convoys.
Organiser Ian Charlesworth said their aim was to get the government to reduce fuel tax duty by 24p a litre.
The Stanlow Fuel Protest and Direct Action Group, which recruited supporters through Facebook, said it intended to block the Ellesmere Port refinery's exits.
It will prevent tankers from leaving the plant and will remain in place until their demands are met, Mr Charlesworth added.'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13326275

Leanne
08-May-11, 15:59
[SIZE=2]Talking about fuel, I wonder if this one will go anywhere?

It did last time - for a short while...

This is the motorway today - virtually empty! Jost prior to the blockade/convoy.

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=16445a1beac9edf2c563356197086d40&w=130&h=130&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi3.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FbPNOfUQGKeo%2 Fdefault.jpg

John Little
08-May-11, 16:18
£137.9 average down here with one garage at £1.40.

bekisman
08-May-11, 16:21
£137.9 average down here with one garage at £1.40.
I see in Maidstone diesel's at 150.90p ! But most are cheaper

John Little
08-May-11, 16:22
I never notice - ain't got a diesel :)

Kodiak
08-May-11, 16:29
Last time I bought Diesel it was £1.40.9p at Tesco but Dunnets here in Thurso was £1.45.9p.

bekisman
08-May-11, 16:42
The Fuel Price Report from the AA for April 2011 - must admit I was surprised that (for a change) we're not the highest priced in Europe, and the price difference between unleaded and diesel is 6.2p a litre - how close are we to finding a petrol car is cheaper to run?
'Despite a 1p cut in fuel duty in the Budget, UK average fuel prices have climbed to new record highs. Compared to last Easter, petrol is nearly 15p a litre more expensive and diesel 20p higher. Oil is $122 a barrel.
Unleaded prices have risen by 2.9ppl from 132.9ppl to 135.8ppl. Diesel prices have also risen, by 3.0ppl, from 139.0ppl to 142.0ppl. The price difference between unleaded and diesel has risen to 6.2ppl.
Northern Ireland and the South East recorded the highest price for unleaded at 136.3ppl. Yorkshire and Humberside recorded the lowest price for unleaded at 135.1ppl. Scotland recorded the highest diesel price at 142.8ppl. Yorkshire and Humberside have the cheapest diesel at 141.5ppl.
Supermarket prices for unleaded also rose over the month by 3.3ppl to 133.3ppl. The gap between supermarket prices and the UK average for unleaded has fallen to 2.5ppl.
The UK has the twelfth highest unleaded price in Europe and the third highest diesel price.'

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/

binnes
08-May-11, 17:42

The Fuel that Tesco sells is exactly the same as any other Fuel Station in Caithness. All the Fuel Tankers for all Companies in Caithness get their fuel from the same place so there is no difference.

As to getting rid of your car and getting a Bus. HUH What Busses there are none.

You clearly have issues with Tesco and trying to run down the quality of their fuel will not work. You should not make sweeping remarks about the quality of the Fuel at Tesco without providing any proof.

As far as I am aware, all petrol or diesel which comes out of the refinery is the same. It is the type and quality of additive subsequently added where the difference lies. It may however be true to say that the supermarket type of organisations who sell pertrol or diesel could use cheaper additives. By law, all diesel now has to contain an element of bio diesel (I think minimum of 5%) but again there are certain companies and not necessarily the supermarkets who add more bio diesel than the minimum 5%.

ducati
11-May-11, 08:09
Also long term running Motorcycles on SM fuel. Very high performance engines so you would expect them to be more sensitive.

Guess what? No probs!

Also Lawnmower [lol]

theone
11-May-11, 10:45
All petrol in the north of Scotland comes from grangemouth.

All fuel sold in the UK has to meet UK standards. Even from the supermarket.

95 octane unleaded - BS EN 228:2004;
97 octane unleaded - BS 7800:2004;
DERV - BS EN 590:2004.

There are many myths about petrol quality from supermarkets, but I'm sure if there was any real concerns Which?, watchdog and whoever else would be all over it.

Stack Rock
11-May-11, 19:09
Purchased derv at Wick TESCO's this afternoon - prices down 2p / litre. Also 5p off / litre offer on with coupon (£50 purchase)

John Little
11-May-11, 19:35
Seen the news tonight?.... D'oh! 15% rises in the pipeline.....

They have to go.

jockyplunck
11-May-11, 20:06
rip off Britian strikes again. cry as much as you like there is nothing you can do about it the government doesnt giv e a fxxx about what we say as long as they get their big fat pay cheques. after all some one as to keep these poor idiots in luxery might as well be the car drivers. i don't think the petrol pumps can really do much about the price until the government drops the tax and vat and stops ripping us off.

bagpuss
11-May-11, 20:18
supermarket strategies tend to involve undercutting local garages until they admit defeat and stop selling fuel- and then when they are the only retailer- raise the prices.

last time I was north I counted about 8 filling stations on the East coast.......

bekisman
11-May-11, 20:44
supermarket strategies tend to involve undercutting local garages until they admit defeat and stop selling fuel- and then when they are the only retailer- raise the prices.

last time I was north I counted about 8 filling stations on the East coast.......
Never actually seen that happen, although a lot of people talk about it..

abz02
23-Feb-15, 13:00

Well if you are driving a modern Diesel car expect problems, All modern Diesel engines are tuned to run on 5% Bio Fuel as all Diesel contains that at least. The next time you fill up at your local supermarket you may find a tiny sticker on the pump that say's ( May contain more than 5% Bio Fuel ). and if you think I don't know what im talking about i have a 2500 pound receipt from Audi as the high pressure fuel pump began eating itself up due to lack of lubrication in fuel. As the car was a previous company car i acquired information on the fuel it was using from the fuel card and guess what ?? Supermarkets for 3 year solid. Carry on if you wish.

Kevin Milkins
23-Feb-15, 16:48
Well if you are driving a modern Diesel car expect problems, All modern Diesel engines are tuned to run on 5% Bio Fuel as all Diesel contains that at least. The next time you fill up at your local supermarket you may find a tiny sticker on the pump that say's ( May contain more than 5% Bio Fuel ). and if you think I don't know what im talking about i have a 2500 pound receipt from Audi as the high pressure fuel pump began eating itself up due to lack of lubrication in fuel. As the car was a previous company car i acquired information on the fuel it was using from the fuel card and guess what ?? Supermarkets for 3 year solid. Carry on if you wish.

Crickey abz02,did you get sent to prison for four years for your last comment? a bit of a delayed reaction.

theone
24-Feb-15, 08:37

£2500 for a £200 fuel pump?

I'd change your garage.

sids
24-Feb-15, 09:55
Supermarket petrol and diesel are 100% deadly nitric acid and phosgene, with also nuclear liquor.

Fact!

J1985
24-Feb-15, 14:19
I personally woudnt go into any filling station that didnt show their prices, it means they have something to hide doesnt it?Stick to good old Tesco is my advice!!!C3....:roll:;)Stick to tescos if you want contaminated fule :) water and petrol are not a good mix but tescos don't seem to know this when they add it to there petrol and this was tested when my old car would never run on tescos petrol but would run without issue on dunnets petrol