PDA

View Full Version : remember?

Tugmistress
11-Sep-06, 20:39
Most of the generation older than i will remember when they first heard about JFKs assination....
I remember what i was doing and where i was 5 years ago when i heard about the twin towers ... do you?

unicorn
11-Sep-06, 21:03
I was building lego houses with the kids.

changilass
11-Sep-06, 21:06
I was in a hotel in Benidorm with my mum, she was convinced I was watching a film, until I changed channels to another news channel, then we sat in shocked silence for hours whilst watching the coverage.

taylor.4
11-Sep-06, 21:13
I was at work, couldn't believe what i was seeing!

Jeid
11-Sep-06, 21:15
It was my day off. I was tidying my room. I went downstairs to get a bin bag and sat on the couch in amazement at what was happening.

willa
11-Sep-06, 21:21
I was getting the car MOTed in Castletown when I heard it on the radio. Couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I got home the first tower had just collapsed.

connieb19
11-Sep-06, 21:22
I was at work and a customer came in and told me.

George Brims
11-Sep-06, 21:26
I was asleep, not long before the alarm was due to go off. My daughter, her ex-boyfriend and their respective new partners were in NYC for the Michael Jackson shows that weekend. The ex's mum called us to ask if we had heard from the kids as "they're stuck in New York because of some terrorist thing". I turned on the TV and just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Fortunately they were able to get a call through to one of his family so our period of anxiety for them was only a few minutes, though it was a week before they got home, by driving a rented car across the continent to California.

Billy Boy
11-Sep-06, 21:36
mrs bb was feeding 3 month old miss bb jnr and i was watching tv when it flashed up,at that time we were just getting used to being new parent's when it happend,we just couldnt beleve it at first. it was just like watching a film,it was a bit strange holding a 3 month old baby and watching and wondering what the world was coming to:(

mr do dar
11-Sep-06, 21:44
i can remember it like it happen 10 mins ago ..... i was sat in work watching the news channel waiting for customers to serve i was shocked then worried about us in the uk hoping we was not the next to get struck

MadPict
11-Sep-06, 21:47
At work and came in for a lunch break turning TV on - stood in disbelief and horror.

Visiting Ground Zero in August 2004 was an experience.

Bobinovich
11-Sep-06, 22:10
We'd just moved to our new house on the 9th but I was still working from the old house - waiting for ISDN changeover to new house.

I had no TV or radio left there but noticed the Internet was crawling along so went over to the new house for some lunch. Turned on the TV and stood open mouthed - my sandwich forgotten.

Most of the rest of the day was a blur but included trying to contact relatives in the US (who have family working in the Pentagon) to ensure everyone was OK.

coastown
11-Sep-06, 22:41
i was at work when it came over the radio, couldnt believe what i was hearing

DrSzin
12-Sep-06, 01:23
Most of the generation older than i will remember when they first heard about JFKs assination....
I remember what i was doing and where i was 5 years ago when i heard about the twin towers ... do you?Of course.

9/11: sitting at the PC in my office when a colleague burst in and said "I've just had an email from Stefano: two planes have crashed into the World Trade Center." (Stefano lives in Milan.) We spent the rest of the day watching tv in a lab upstairs and reading the Scotsman website. (The BBC News, ITV News, and most other news websites were swamped. God knows why they had a tv in the lab, but I'm glad they did.)

I still have some emails sent by colleagues in NYC on that day. Here is the first line of the header of one of them:

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:28:46 -0400

Just looking at the date is chilling. I was going to post some of it, but it doesn't seem right.

I knew someone who was on the plane that hit the Pentagon.

JFK's assassination: watching tv in the living-room at home. I didn't understand what had happened at first, but my parents soon explained. I don't remember what we were watching, but it was on ITV and they cancelled Emergency Ward 10 (US hospital drama) just afterwards.

Dunblane massacre: heard about it on the radio whilst driving home from work. I can tell you where I was to within a few metres. I don't drive home that way any more, but I still think about that day on the odd occasion I do drive past.

Ojibwa
12-Sep-06, 01:46
I remember coming home from shopping and as we turned on the tv we saw the live pictures of the 2nd plane crashing. We could not believe what we were watching and felt a sense of shock and disbelief the whole day. I remember saying something like, they'll(usa) go to war over this.

So so sad, I don't think anyone will ever forget that day and what they were doing. :~(

goldenguernsey
12-Sep-06, 03:02
We was in the farm yard with my dad when husband came out and said " the world trade towers have been attacked" we were speechless, rushed inside to see the tv and still to this day don't understand. It's not muslims to blame, it's extremists with extremist views that perpetuate this view and keep this ball rolling. Muslims are not bad people, they are fundamentally good souls, it's just the odd few that take things to the extreme. We cannot condem all muslims for the actions of a few, has anyone ever read the Koran?
It does not condone the actions of such extremists.

Sporran
12-Sep-06, 07:15
I remember what i was doing and where i was 5 years ago when i heard about the twin towers ... do you?

Yes I do. I was at home, and had not had the TV or radio on. My husband called me from work and told me to switch the TV news on immediately. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the smoke belching out of the twin towers - at first instant, I thought I was looking at two huge smoking industrial chimney stacks!

I was eight years old when JFK was assassinated. I remember watching the TV news in black and white that evening, with my mum and granny. I don't remember my dad being there at the time, so he must have been on shift work at Dounreay then. Even though I was only eight, I remember liking President Kennedy and his pretty wife Jackie. They seemed as glamourous as movie stars to me.

Mister Squiggle
12-Sep-06, 11:12
I first heard of the attack on the WTC via the radio - I thought I'd heard it wrong, then the phone rang and it was my husband, who was at work. His secretary was hysterical and he was ringing me to make sure she had her story straight, as he thought she'd gone mad.
My Dad had been watching something on TV and thought it was part of the film.
As for JFK - I wasn't born then, but my Mum was pregnant with my older brother and she can still remember her neighbour running in from next door in tears to tell her. She says she was wearing a brown swirly maternity smock and had her hair in rollers.

Donnie
12-Sep-06, 11:40
I had just moved in to my new flat. My furniture hadn't been delivered yet. I had no tv/radio etc. I found out from the Evening Express!

squidge
12-Sep-06, 12:18
I had finished work early and was sitting in the car outside Keiss Primary school. I had some time to wait and i wasfed up of the CD i was listening to so i flicked over to Radio four. I thought it was the afternoon play!!! it took me a few minutes before i realisedit was real. It was the strangest day - i went home and put the TV on and couldnt believe my eyes. I dont like watching some of the voyeuristic things on the TV but i was absolutely glued to the news. I have often said i couldnt beleive things but that day I truly was having problems beleiving what i was seeing.

Horrendous.

candyfloss
12-Sep-06, 13:09
I'd just come back from visiting my dad and just turned on the telly, at first i thought it was a film. I was horrified when i relised it was real.

obiron
12-Sep-06, 19:55
by an odd coincidence we just turned on sky news to see what the latest news was. watched wi horror the 2nd plane going into the tower. whole day in front o the telly.

Ricco
12-Sep-06, 20:30
I tend to get to work very early (around 7.00) and didn't know anything until some of the kids were asking me what I thought about it. I thought they were messing around and told them it was very bad taste. Then I took a look on the Internet - shocking! Was very worried for my brother as the Towers were the favourite haunt of him and his girlfriend. Fortunately they had flown home a few days earlier.

robglysen
12-Sep-06, 20:58
Hiya,
I was working nights at a factory in Derbyshire, I crawled out of bed at about 2:00 in the afternoon, just as it all kicked off. Thought I was still dreaming, was so unreal for me. I never thought for a minute they would come down.

I thought, wow, they took a plane impact, once they get some water up there, most of the people might be ok, and thay could ferry them off the roof in helicopters, maybe only a couple hundred might die.

Tugmistress, I'll have to get this form to you, dont worry i've not forgot!

RIP Steve Irwin.