PDA

View Full Version : Does the new bin system make you think about what you buy

donnick
07-May-11, 16:44
so when you go to the supermarket to do ur weekly shop now do you look at the packaging at what your buying and think oh what recycling bin does this go in . its defo made me think

pmcd
07-May-11, 17:11
Had two years of it down South = once you get used to it, it works fine. It's a bit hard for parents who need to dispose of nappies, though!

cherokee
07-May-11, 18:37
It's a bit hard for parents who need to dispose of nappies, though!

Mmmmmmmm...terry-towelling ones which go in the wash? :confused

NickInTheNorth
07-May-11, 18:52
Not really changed habits since the bin system changed.

Just still annoyed that the council will take glass and juice cartons at the recycling centre, but not in the recycling bin :mad:

Dadie
07-May-11, 21:55
I use a mix of real nappies and disposables...now im making a bit of a effort to use the real nappies more often...
The real nappies these days dont need a degree in origami to get them on the bairn as they come preshaped and with velcro or poppers that are just as easy to fasten as a disposable...but I tend to use disposables when out as you can just pop them in the bins when out..and finding a forgotten about real nappy in a bag 2 days later festering in the bottom of your changing bag isnt nice!
And im thinking the rubbish bin will be pretty grim in the summer after 2 weeks of disposable nappies festering!
The beasties are suffering from more partial changes of their living quarters than full changes depending on space in the bin...and the cat gets chucked out more so the litter tray doesnt get used.
Apart from that Im buying the same stuff really....its mostly cardboard and shampoo bottles in the recycling bin....I dont buy much in the way of fizzy juice in bottles or cans and dont use much tinned stuff.
Its only at the odd times of year like birthdays and Christmas that there will be a confused me looking at the packaging!
You know the cardboard boxes with see through plastic bits on them...and shiny wrapping papers...

Spongeboab
07-May-11, 23:46
the cat gets chucked out more so the litter tray doesnt get used.

you're neighbours will be delighted to hear this

Dadie
07-May-11, 23:48
probably not...but if its not in my bin...:lol:

Spongeboab
08-May-11, 00:05
probably not...but if its not in my bin...:lol:

... then who cares ? '

i've got a few cats round here who use my garden as a toilet because their owners are too lazy to use a litter tray so you're not alone.

anyway, sorry, this is drifting off topic apologies to the OP ... i need to go check my cat traps

Dadie
08-May-11, 00:07
Och the cat is usually on house arrest at night!
Its just his daytime activities that give me bother...

Spongeboab
08-May-11, 00:18
Just still annoyed that the council will take glass and juice cartons at the recycling centre, but not in the recycling bin :mad:

glass i can understand, but why not take tetrapak cartons ? even stranger is that you can recycle tetrapak at Thurso's recycling centre, but not Wick's ....

once they start accepting 1 and 2 triangle food cartons kerbside i'll be happy

crashbandicoot1979
09-May-11, 12:22
glass i can understand, but why not take tetrapak cartons ? even stranger is that you can recycle tetrapak at Thurso's recycling centre, but not Wick's ....

once they start accepting 1 and 2 triangle food cartons kerbside i'll be happy

Tetrapak cartons are only recycled by Tetrapak themselvs. The banks at Thurso RC are provided and serviced by Tetrapak - they only gave the council so many banks for X amount of sites so I think only 5 or so RCs in the Highlands have them.

ShelleyCowie
09-May-11, 13:09
i havent changed the way i buy at all, i know what i need and i cant really change that! But yes the nappy situation is a bit dire (iv already been told before to change to re-useable nappies but no i cant) so 2 weeks worth of nappies for 2 kids, isnt ideal. But the recycling of cardboard has reduced the amount that goes into my black bin quite a bit!

Now, can anyone teach my husband and kids that the stuff for recycling doesnt sit in the kitchen, it goes in the bin!!!

Dadie
09-May-11, 13:23
I find the real nappies kinder to their bums..less rashes when teething (I dont care the health visitor says there is no corrolation between teething and nappy rash as all 3 of my kids got nappy rash at the same time their teeth cut through) but they do give a bit more of a big bum look.
And I used them after Euans bum broke out (after a whole day in disposables)without the waterproof cover to get air to his skin without puddles on the floor!
I have one in nappies and one just in nappies at bedtime now...

I can understand why they wouldnt want glass in the bins as it would be a more dangerous job sorting the recycling if the bottles broke!

As for the bin situation, No, but you can buy recycling boxes that sit nicely in the kitchen until you need to empty them out into the big bin if the big bin is to far to walk to during the day.

Crackeday
09-May-11, 13:28
it only makes me think "look at all these tins Ive got to wash out!!!"

bettedaviseyes
10-May-11, 01:04
Been like that couple of years down here in fife to be honest never noticed any change.;)