PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Claude

joxville
05-May-11, 21:37
Claude Choules, the last known combat veteran of the First World War, has passed away aged 110yrs. He and his ilk helped make this country great, though I sometimes wonder if the sacrifices they made were worth it, the state the country is in these days.

R.I.P. Claude

ducati
05-May-11, 21:40
Yes I saw a few interviews with him and he came across as genuinely good bloke who enjoyed life and got the most from it.

Gizmo
05-May-11, 21:56
A very humble man. We all owe him and his fellow comrades a huge debt of gratitude.

R.I.P

John Little
05-May-11, 22:00
I see that he was a witness to the sinking of the High Seas Fleet at Scapa.

Quite a sight that must have been.

I wonder if there is anyone else left who saw that?

Hibeechick
05-May-11, 22:08
R.I.P Claude. So sad to think that there is no one left ( that we know of ) who could share experiences of such a huge piece of history :(

bekisman
05-May-11, 23:04
I often wonder if there are any WW1 German soldiers still living? I know that the last French veteran, Raymond Abescat, died in 2001 at the age of 109.

veekay
06-May-11, 10:03
I hope that these wonderful, brave people were able to put down their memories on paper or record their stories so that we and the following generations are able to know just what they did and why.

Rheghead
06-May-11, 14:00
We lost one of our own. A true hero like thousands of others that died before him.

Bazeye
06-May-11, 20:26
How old was he when he enlisted?