PDA

View Full Version : Banks

henry20
11-Sep-06, 10:21
Does anyone actually believe banks are there for our benefit anymore?

Was a banks aim not to help people with financial situations? Now they are more and more a business with targets and take any opportunity to 'sell' their products!!

I am not some bitter person with a massive overdraft - I pay off my credit cards every month - unless on the odd occassion I go a bit overboard and have to spread it over 2 months. I don't go over my overdraft - I am lucky to say I've not had to use it lately, but on the one occassion I went over by 90p on the Friday, I paid money in on the Monday - only to be charged £41.50 - £10 fee plus £10.50 per day. Ridiculous!

Then, I go and get married - we get a cheque made out to Mr & Mrs X - I pay it into my other halfs account (week before we are married) no problem. The week after, I try and pay 2 cheques to Mr & Mrs X into same bank account, but can't as they are made out to Mr & Mrs X and account is only in 1 name. We now have to open a joint bank account to pay in 2 cheques.

Also, gone are the days that you are given repayment plans to sort your finances out - you get given a 'quick-fix' loan, which plunges you further into debt.

Does anyone else get annoyed by this?

Naefearjustbeer
11-Sep-06, 11:15
Yes they are a pain in the bum, At one stage every time I went into the bank probally only 6 times a year. I got offered a credit card!! I presume the tellers get a bonus for dishing these things out. [evil] .
We had something similar once, I think due to a bank holiday or something the bank took a direct debit out early before my wages went in. We then went overdrawn until my wages went into the bank, charges etc were applied much to our disgust. But to the banks credit they did refund the charge after the wife went in and jarred them about it. In this day and age I cannot understand why wages and direct debits standing orders etc cannot happen on the same day every month irrespective of the fact it is a bank holiday. do they switch the computers off for a long weekend??
But the phone banks are the worst MBNA deserve to be named and shamed. After asking politeley several times not to be given courtesy calls. I had to resort to shouting and swearing at some poor call centre employee to get my message through. It worked though not a single call since :D I just wish they acted on my first polite conversation.