PDA

View Full Version : Dog rescue

kittycat
05-May-11, 15:14
Can anyone tell me about Rimoosky ( sorry if I have spelled it wrong) dog rescue, I saw somethinga bout it but cant find out anything. thankyou

kittycat
12-May-11, 12:01
It seems that no-one knows about this rescue place so i did a bit of looking cos I am intrested in rescue work. It is in sutherland and runby someone called anne duncan don't know her. Anyway they arent' a charity and they got no website so I won't bother

dragonfly
12-May-11, 12:44
I'm probably wrong but I think Rimouski has something to do with Lab Rescue Scotland (http://www.lrrcs.org/)

kittycat
12-May-11, 18:01
Are they dragonfly thanks. Like i said I am intrested in rescue work but lab rescue arn't a charity either so I will have to look some were else

rhino
12-May-11, 19:22
sorry, what difference does it make if they are a charity or not? surely they are rescuing animals and thats all that matters?

These independant rescue places give their all and full commitment to their rescues usually running at a cost to themselves.

Are they dragonfly thanks. Like i said I am intrested in rescue work but lab rescue arn't a charity either so I will have to look some were else

unicorn
12-May-11, 19:27
what about kwk9

Sarah
12-May-11, 20:02
I am sure I have seen Rimouski Labs in the paper, I thought they were breeders? I am sure I have seen puppies quite frequently advertised.

kittycat
13-May-11, 09:43
It matters to me Rhino cos if I raise money for something i wont to know where the money goes. If theyre a charity then you can always check

cat2411
16-May-11, 00:49
Have you checked out Lab Rescues web site http://www.lrrcs.org/aboutus.html , if you did you will see under the about us section - the following:

Labrador Retriever Rescue Scotland is a voluntary, benevolent organisation dedicated to the welfare of Labrador Retrievers in Scotland and parts of the North of England. Rescue relies heavily on the goodwill and generosity of family, friends, Labrador owners and even other breed owners ( Flatcoated Retrievers, German Short Haired Pointers and Spaniels to name but three. ) to run the Rescue.

Fund raising is carried out locally in ( Caithness ) and in other parts of Scotland and England by friends and colleagues all year round as no charge is made for re homing to the previous or new owner for this service. Of course if either should wish to make a donation then it would be gratefully received

So how can you say they do not do rescue work and are not a charity............Perhaps if you spoke to them, you would get a better idea of the fab work they do.

kittycat
16-May-11, 15:57
I looked at the oscr to see what were charitys and lab rescue isn't one so nobody knows were the money goes do they. i wont to know were money i give goes. I didn't say they didnt do this sort of work just that you cant check up on them

lady penelope
16-May-11, 21:32
have you decided on which charity you are going to donate to kittycat? if you are unsure, pets at home have a charity, I always pop my change in the box at the till.

Moira
16-May-11, 22:17
I looked at the oscr to see what were charitys and lab rescue isn't one so nobody knows were the money goes do they. i wont to know were money i give goes. .......

Hi kittycat

Why not check out the local KWK9 website - they are a registered charity.
www.kwk9.org (http://www.kwk9.org)

I'm sure they would appreciate your help, whether it be another pair of helping hands at a fundraising event, a fostering/adoption offer or direct donation.

I've found kwk9 a great charity to work with. Please contact them and come back and let us know how your plans to help in dog rescue are doing. :)

cat2411
16-May-11, 22:17
Well there is always the SSPCA at Balmore who are always looking for donations, their ref no is SC006467 on the oscr. Plenty of dogs and other animals out there in need of support. If you dont want to give them a donation in cash, you can always donate pet food via the basket they have in the co-op. I am sure other orgers out there also donate via this route..... failing that, as lady penelope has quoted, pets at home also has a charity box.

MRdeathcreeper
17-May-11, 10:18
Have you Tried CASST?? they are a urban search and rescue team based in caithness!!
there's also KwK9!!

kittycat
18-May-11, 12:39
I think cos theres somany to pick from I am just going toput food in the collecting bins they have in tescos that way i dont have to choose

gmcborgie
18-May-11, 13:28
Hi,
Rimouski are breeders near Tongue, they also rescue labs from all over the country as well as breeding dogs. They foster them until new homes are found.

Cagney
18-May-11, 20:56
Deleted due to being taken the wrong way!

scottyjock
19-May-11, 08:21
At first glance, this thread seemed innocent enough, however, as time has gone on, i feel that this was a set up from the start. I am sure i am not alone in thinking, how obvious this, thinly veiled attack looks.

The last comment made by Cagney, is bordering on, if not actually, liabellous.

This whole episode has left quite a nasty taste in my mouth and, i would expect, all rescues to come together to stamp out this kind of nastiness. This kind of behaviour reflects on our community as a whole, not just certain individuals.

I worked with animals all my life before retirement and i understand that there can be an element of jealousy or sniping between rescues, however, is this really to the benefit of the animals you are trying help? Really? Should rescues not be pulling together? Are their aims not the same? Whatever way the heads of rescues run the company, is the end not the same?

kittycat
19-May-11, 10:10
All I did was ask aabout this rimouski cos I was interested in animal rescue. nobody answered so i looked for charitys and they werent charitys I just wanted to make sure anything i gave was used properly. What everyone else thinks is what they think.

scottyjock
19-May-11, 10:18
All I did was ask aabout this rimouski cos I was interested in animal rescue. nobody answered so i looked for charitys and they werent charitys I just wanted to make sure anything i gave was used properly. What everyone else thinks is what they think.

One might suggest that you did your checking prior to posting in that case then.

Cagney
19-May-11, 11:19
Dleted due to individuals getting too personal.

binnes
19-May-11, 12:12
I for one think it is a crying shame there are so many beautiful animals out there which need to be rehomed. I can never understand why the officials dont crack down on the source of the stray problem. I had never thought about giving dog food to rescues but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

scottyjock
19-May-11, 12:13
I wouldn't have expected anything less than the above post from you.

You accuse me of pinning labels to people, then you suggest i am in some way affiliated with either Labrador Rescue or Labrador Club, i am not sure which, your hypocrisy astounds me.

However, i have a feeling that Labrador Club might feel slightly different to your statement that what you say is not libellous, as would any other organsiation who supports, or contributes to Labrador Rescue.

Your transparency is glaringly obvious my friend and it is down to supporters like you that give rescue's a bad name. I for one would be in two minds whether or not to support KWK9, because, whilst they are not responsible for what their supporters say on public forums, i would, at the very least expect them to come out in support of a charity doing the same job as them, with the same end result, dogs being rehomed. Am i the only person who thinks that rescue's should work together? I don't think so. I do not know how responsible Labrador Rescue are for this matter, perhaps it 6 and 2 three's, however, in my mind it would make sense to help each other out, not attack people who do their best.

Your clumsy and obvious attempt to disparage a rescue looks bad on you, no one else.

If you feel that Labrador Rescue has questions to answer regarding monetary matters then i suggest you report those matters to the police, either put up or shut up.

summer
19-May-11, 13:08
On behalf of KWK9, I agree, if charities have the same basic aims then why not. I'd never attack anyone for what they do.

I'm the treasurer of KWK9 so don't have so much day to day doings with the dogs, but I have done home checks at the request of Boxer Rescue and Dobermann Welfare, and I once drove a dog from Balmore to Aberdeen to help out.

I know one person in KWK9 Rescue has the odd cup of coffee with someone in Lab Rescue so although there's not much crossover (in fact I can't think of a single labrador that's been rehomed through KWK9 (that's not to say for sure there hasn't been, just that I've not noticed)) they're not clawing each others eyes out with hatred.

We're really quite a laid back bunch at KWK9. (hope that all comes across ok - I can never tell what tone of voice I'm using when I'm typing)

summer
19-May-11, 13:12
I for one think it is a crying shame there are so many beautiful animals out there which need to be rehomed. I can never understand why the officials dont crack down on the source of the stray problem. I had never thought about giving dog food to rescues but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.
I totally agree, I've got a foster dog at my house just now who is beautiful and so lovely be be around I can't imagine why he's been dumped. I've advertised him on a Scotland wide lurcher rehoming forum and within a few days he'd been pushed back about 2 pages because more homeless lurchers had been added. There's just so many.

scottyjock
19-May-11, 13:16
On behalf of KWK9, I agree, if charities have the same basic aims then why not. I'd never attack anyone for what they do.

I'm the treasurer of KWK9 so don't have so much day to day doings with the dogs, but I have done home checks at the request of Boxer Rescue and Dobermann Welfare, and I once drove a dog from Balmore to Aberdeen to help out.

I know one person in KWK9 Rescue has the odd cup of coffee with someone in Lab Rescue so although there's not much crossover (in fact I can't think of a single labrador that's been rehomed through KWK9 (that's not to say for sure there hasn't been, just that I've not noticed)) they're not clawing each others eyes out with hatred.

We're really quite a laid back bunch at KWK9. (hope that all comes across ok - I can never tell what tone of voice I'm using when I'm typing)

This is the best thing to come out of this thread and you come across as professional and compassionate in the way you type. It is a great pity that you have people like Cagney supporting you, as, i am sorry to say, they drag your professionalism to a much lower level.
Are you saying you disagree with what the poster 'Cagney' is saying?

cazmanian_minx
19-May-11, 13:37
Everything I have stated is public knowledge and being well aquainted with the libel laws I can tell you that what is written is not libellous!

No it isn't, but your earlier post where you said:

KWK9 and C&S rescue are my prefered charities of this area. At least they are run by people who know about dogs and they know where you can train them with individuals who have qulifications!!!

implies that Lab Rescue and Rimouski are run by people who don't know about dogs or training. Given that Carolyne Poulton, who runs the Caithness Lab Rescue, also does the Greenland K9 training classes at Bower and Anne Duncan at Rimouski is a well-respected gundog trainer and breeder, I feel that's a little bit misleading.

binnes
19-May-11, 13:56
This is the best thing to come out of this thread and you come across as professional and compassionate in the way you type.

I couldnt agree more with you.

Unfortunately though, prior to this, I havent heard of KWK9.

KWK9 Rescue
19-May-11, 14:31
Since our name has been dragged into this thread I'd like to remind people that KWK9 Rescue are not responsible for what people post on a public forum, the org is infamous for the phrase "everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to voice it".
For the record - when the need arises KWK9 works alongside other rescues in a professional manner for the benefit of the animals. I'm sure anyone who attended the Car Boot Sale and Dog Show on the 30th of April at Bower saw all the local rescue groups in one place that day.

Hopefully this thread can get back on topic now and if the op wants more info about any of the charities and organisations mentioned I'm sure the rescues will be more than happy to provide them with it - we can be contacted via our website www.kwk9.org (http://www.kwk9.org/) :)

scottyjock
19-May-11, 14:59
Since our name has been dragged into this thread I'd like to remind people that KWK9 Rescue are not responsible for what people post on a public forum, the org is infamous for the phrase "everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to voice it".
For the record - when the need arises KWK9 works alongside other rescues in a professional manner for the benefit of the animals. I'm sure anyone who attended the Car Boot Sale and Dog Show on the 30th of April at Bower saw all the local rescue groups in one place that day.

Hopefully this thread can get back on topic now and if the op wants more info about any of the charities and organisations mentioned I'm sure the rescues will be more than happy to provide them with it - we can be contacted via our website www.kwk9.org (http://www.kwk9.org/) :)

What you say is true, you are not responsible for what people say on here and i said as much in one of my previous posts.

Unfortunately though, when one of your supporters lays such serious accusations at the foot of a neighbouring rescue, one that you say you would be happy to work alongside, it DOES reflect on you as an organisation.

Cagney
19-May-11, 17:16
I think this thread is getting out of hand with all these aqusations being bantered around and feel that the moderators should now lock the topic before legal action is taken.
Having been involved in and run rescue of all animals for many years, I fail to see what one person supports should in any way influence another individuals descision.
We all have our own preferences for what ever reasons as to which charities we support.
I also support Help for Heros, the R.N.L.I., Red cross, St John's Ambulance, Air sea rescue, Ary benevolent fund, R.A.F, N.A.F.I, Christian Aid, The Leprosy Mission and many different individual causes. But these are personal to me!
In answering some one elses post I seem to have been singled out and in no way mean any detriment to any of my personal chosen charities nor do I have anything against the Labrador Club of Scotland infact I think they do sterling work as do all charities in their own way.
I think at the end of the day it depends on an individuals interpretation of the word CHARITY and yes I always donate the odd can of food when I go into Pets at Home as well. As I don't buy it at Tesco I don't leave any there, but I thnk this is a briliant idea.
You are right when you say Like charities should work together and I am sure they do. I know I do as do the charities I support!
I refuse to to post on this subject any longer.

mop top
19-May-11, 17:40
What you say is true, you are not responsible for what people say on here and i said as much in one of my previous posts.

Unfortunately though, when one of your supporters lays such serious accusations at the foot of a neighbouring rescue, one that you say you would be happy to work alongside, it DOES reflect on you as an organisation.

A charity, organisation or team have no control over who choose to support them, we have a close core team within KWK9 and this thread was certainly not started by any of that team.

A recent comparison is the Rangers Celtic trouble, do you think the rangers management team instigated their fans to send letter bombs etc to the celtic mannie whatever his name his (sorry dont follow football lol) We cant control our supporters anymore than they could. It is a free country and people are entitled to their opinions. We owe KWK9's success to local support which is more than humbling and greatly appreciated.

As far as KWK9 rushing in to defend labrador rescues honour, well to be honest we are probably just relieved it wasnt us getting it! cos next week it could be! thats the org for you. Labrador rescue have been on the go for a few years now and are more than capable of defending themselves. In rescue you meet some lovely people along the way but unfortunately you can also make some enemies, it goes with the territory of being public property. My only advice is to grow a thick skin or stop reading the posts if they offend you.

As far as KWK9 working alongside Labrador Rescue unfortunately we dont have the luxury of rehoming too many pedigrees just whatever needs a helping hand. However if the need arose none of our team would have any problems working together for the good of all dogs in the county. In fact i will put it on the agenda for our AGM.

Moira
19-May-11, 22:58

Yes, and you now know there are several "Dog Rescue" charities in this area who would be grateful for your help and donations.

Please come back and let us know what you actually decided to do for all of them.

You'll have to start a new thread. This one is now locked. :)