PDA

View Full Version : Fire chief appointed

Nwicker60
05-May-11, 14:13
New fire chief appointed for Highlands and Islands

WITH effect from the 5th May 2011, Highlands & Islands Fire & Rescue Service’s Trevor Johnson will take on the role of Chief Fire Officer, with Mike Holme taking on the role of Deputy Chief Fire Officer.
The change was approved at a meeting of the Highland and Islands Fire Board on 26th November 2010, and follows the conclusion of David Wynne’s secondment to Highlands & Islands Fire & Rescue Service which came to an end on Wednesday 4th May 2011.
Given the current uncertain future for Fire and Rescue Services in Scotland, the Fire Board took the decision to make the appointments on interim basis, pending the outcomes of the Scottish Government’s consultation exercise on Fire Reform.
In a temporary restructure, two members of the Service’s Strategic Leadership Team, Head of Operations, Billy Wilson and Head of Corporate Services, Marcus Jenks, will take on Principal Officer responsibilities, in addition to their substantive roles and become the Service’s Deputy Assistant Chief Officers, in a move that will see the Service save £70k over a 12 month period.
Highland and Islands Fire Board Convener, Richard Durham, said that he was “looking forward to continuing to work closely with the Service’s Principal Officer team. The Service, as with all Scottish Fire Services, faces challenging times ahead and I am confident that Trevor and his team have the skills, experience and knowledge to effectively lead the Service through this period.”
Trevor Johnson said that “I am delighted to be appointed Chief Fire Officer of Highlands & Islands Fire & Rescue Service There is no doubt that in the current economic climate, the continued development of the Service will present a significant challenge. I believe my experiences over the last 16 years, serving with HIFRS, have enabled me to appreciate the challenges associated with providing emergency cover to the dispersed communities of the Highlands and Islands. I, together with my management team, look forward to working closely with our personnel, communities and Fire Board, to further improve the Service we deliver.”