PDA

View Full Version : Half day closing.......... still going on in this day and age.

Even Chance
04-May-11, 16:41
Hi folks,
I just went doon e street in Week, and noticed that the shop I was goin til give ma cash til wis closed. I mind this goin on when I wis a wee lad, but I didna ken it wis still goin on.
Im obviously goin til wait til e morn and get ma stuff then. Tesco widna shut on a halfer wid they???

Eilanboy
04-May-11, 16:47
Hi folks,
I just went doon e street in Week, and noticed that the shop I was goin til give ma cash til wis closed. I mind this goin on when I wis a wee lad, but I didna ken it wis still goin on.
Im obviously goin til wait til e morn and get ma stuff then. Tesco widna shut on a halfer wid they???

It is even worse in Thurso not only do they close for a half day on a Thursday some of them still close every day at lunchtime.Lots of bemused tourists going about.

theone
04-May-11, 17:11
Hence why the big chains are welcomed by many.

Homebase make a fortune from my DIY adventures, simply because they're open on Sundays and in the evenings when I'm doing the work and realise what I've forgotten/need.

Frith
04-May-11, 17:45
Try selling a house.

They tell you its quiet, and it'll pick up at easter.

How is that exactly, when they're shut.

Hopeless, living in the past, part timers. : (

annemarie482
04-May-11, 17:50
no sympathy for them what so ever...........

EDDIE
04-May-11, 18:07
It is even worse in Thurso not only do they close for a half day on a Thursday some of them still close every day at lunchtime.Lots of bemused tourists going about.

Thats been going on for decades why they cant stagger there lunch breaks is beyond me its not as if it cost more to do that.

ShelleyCowie
04-May-11, 18:11
it really bugs me when places are closed for lunch! i always seem to go down the street to get something and the place i need it from is closed! Iv now learned to either go very early, or very late. If not...i will go elsewhere!

gunnlass
04-May-11, 18:16
What shops are shut half day in Thurso on a Thursday? I don't know of any that still do that.

cherokee
04-May-11, 18:21
Possibly slightly off thread (if so, then can I make my apologies just now!).....

In Wick, what really gets my "goat" is the fact that there is no pharmacy open between one and two o' clock !! [disgust][disgust]

With regards to the biggest pharmacy (no names mentioned here) in Wick, you're lucky if said pharmacist decides to come back from his/her lunch dead on 2 O' clock. I completley realise and understand that every working employee has to have their deserved lunch-break, but why does "the customer" on his/her lunch-break have to do without being able to pick up prescriptions due to this?

As said in a previous post, would it not make sense to, at the very least, stagger lunch breaks, especially with regards to chemists, where people can always be assured of being able to collect (sometimes) important prescriptions, possibly for their children/eldery relative or even themselves ! :confused

Drigbyy2k
04-May-11, 19:22
Regarding pharmacies, when the pharmacist is on lunch it is illegal for a pharmacy employee to hand out a prescription to the customer. The law is that the pharmacist has to be on the shop floor for prescriptions to be handed out and even made up by a pharmacy employee. So even if the pharmacist staggered his/her lunch this wouldn't work, there would always be that one hour during the day when the pharmacist has his/her lunch that no one could collect their prescriptions.

lindsaymcc
04-May-11, 19:54
Thats where I think Thurso do well. The 2 pharmacies opposite each other have staggered lunch times - so in one you cant get a prescription from 12.30-1.30 but the other is available, and the other is on lunch from 1.30-2.30 when the other one is back.

The only place that annoys me with being closed at lunch time is the fish shop! So often I go down at 1.30pm to find it closed, and never remember for the next time!

Spongeboab
04-May-11, 20:44
Regarding pharmacies, when the pharmacist is on lunch it is illegal for a pharmacy employee to hand out a prescription to the customer. The law is that the pharmacist has to be on the shop floor for prescriptions to be handed out and even made up by a pharmacy employee. So even if the pharmacist staggered his/her lunch this wouldn't work, there would always be that one hour during the day when the pharmacist has his/her lunch that no one could collect their prescriptions.

you don't seem to understand .... if they stagger their lunches, then the customer can go to the other pharmacist who has just come back from his/her lunch to get their prescription ...

i raised this with the pharmacist in Boots (3 chemists in Wick, none of them have a pharmacist available between 1pm and 2pm) he just shrugged and said that's how it's always been, end of.

that's progress for you.

Drigbyy2k
04-May-11, 21:38
I see what your meaning now. I will stay silent on that one.

Walter Ego
04-May-11, 22:21
you don't seem to understand .... if they stagger their lunches, then the customer can go to the other pharmacist who has just come back from his/her lunch to get their prescription ...

i raised this with the pharmacist in Boots (3 chemists in Wick, none of them have a pharmacist available between 1pm and 2pm) he just shrugged and said that's how it's always been, end of.

that's progress for you.

So, who gets their lunch at 12, who gets their lunch at 1 and who has to wait until 2 for a lunchbreak? These are different businesses, not some branches of the same firm.
If I was told that I'd have to work until 2 for my break because some competitor up the road wanted a lunchbreak at 1 - I think my answer would be go and poke.

You only have to wait an hour - why not change your lunch hour for one day so you can get your prescription?

Dadie
04-May-11, 23:17
I try to remember Wick Wednesday, Thurso Thursday, to remind me of the half day opening so im not disappointed when trying to shop...plus try to have a break between 1 and 2 just incase on other days....but I still forget sometimes and get fustrated.
But it is really annoying not to get a prescription when you know you have to get home for something as its lunchtime all over!
Even if they staggered their lunches for 1130-1230 and 1230-1330 and 1330-1430 it wouldnt be so bad ...or even overlap them by 15 mins or so...

Rheghead
05-May-11, 01:35
I get frustrated by halfday and lunchtime closing as well but I support the shopkeepers who try to put the quality of their workday at the heart of what they do rather than profit.

gunnlass
05-May-11, 09:06
None of the shops in Thurso shut for half day on Thursday, that stopped a few years ago.

bekisman
05-May-11, 16:16
None of the shops in Thurso shut for half day on Thursday, that stopped a few years ago.

Well I have to agree with you - was there this afternoon and they were all open - even the fish shop said "We stay open over lunch" - 'bout time mind, but step in the right direction.. Now, what about Wick?

david
05-May-11, 17:40
And there's the recycling centre at Janetstown too. Closed from 2-230pm for lunch. Now I go there regularly and its not like the guy there has to serve you. You just empty your stuff into the various bins. Come on Highland Council!

rogermellie
05-May-11, 18:49
So, who gets their lunch at 12, who gets their lunch at 1 and who has to wait until 2 for a lunchbreak? These are different businesses, not some branches of the same firm.
If I was told that I'd have to work until 2 for my break because some competitor up the road wanted a lunchbreak at 1 - I think my answer would be go and poke.

You only have to wait an hour - why not change your lunch hour for one day so you can get your prescription?

lol you don't have to stagger 3 lunches to cover the period between 1pm & 2pm !!

if 1 pharmacist agrees to have lunch at 12 (not an unreasonable request) then the other 2 can take theirs at 1pm while the first pharmacist is covering that period ... simples

Thurso chemists manages to do it without whingeing about the possibility of their competitor getting more trade
if you packed you're job in because you were asked to provide good customer service then good for you, plenty of other people out there who would do the job

saba
05-May-11, 18:51
What amazes me is that there is no where in Thurso to buy an ice-cream cone on a Sunday (not an ice lolly!) now that Brass's is shut all Sunday!!

pmcd
05-May-11, 19:01
There's a moral in this somewhere:

In 1920 Jack Cohen founded Tesco, selling surplus groceries from a stall at Well Street market in London's East End.

Apart from his main motto - "Pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap", he added an "internal" slogan which he used to motivate his work force.

"YCDBSOYA"

You can't do business sitting on your........."

Tesco seems to have done rather well.

Wonder why?

gunnlass
05-May-11, 19:04
You can buy ice cream from the Newsmarket formally Ferriers and I think the shop opposite eighty eight sells it as well on a Sunday.

Drigbyy2k
05-May-11, 21:29
lol you don't have to stagger 3 lunches to cover the period between 1pm & 2pm !!

if 1 pharmacist agrees to have lunch at 12 (not an unreasonable request) then the other 2 can take theirs at 1pm while the first pharmacist is covering that period ... simples

Thurso chemists manages to do it without whingeing about the possibility of their competitor getting more trade
if you packed you're job in because you were asked to provide good customer service then good for you, plenty of other people out there who would do the job

Both Sutherlands and Williamson's in Thurso are owned by the same person, thats why the lunch breaks are staggered. There profits go in the same pocket.

Walter Ego
05-May-11, 21:34

You really don't know what you are talking about, do you?

sweetpea
05-May-11, 23:18
Try going to the post office between 12.30 and 1.30 esp on a Thursday on your lunch break! I know it took me 30 mins plus last week to post a parcel but I suppose they have to have their break too.

bagpuss
06-May-11, 23:48
so the road to riches? Open a business between 12 and 2 to cater for lunchbreak shoppers- a two hour working day. Cool

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-May-11, 23:50
my epos system can give you an hour by hour breakdown of sales over a given period .... 12-2 is by far the busiest period on a week day and 3-4 sales wise on a Saturday.

sids
07-May-11, 11:18

I don't expect much sympathy, being an old Ukelele wallah, but I have a sandwich at my desk.

And it doesn't take an hour.