PDA

View Full Version : Wick Tescos

Fran
20-Oct-04, 03:36
:D Is it true that Tescos are moving in to Wick airport industrial estate and have been in measuring and surveying the land next to Caithness Glass?. I dont know why they dont move into Caithness glass but I believe the council are going in there.
And - what will we do when the newspaper shops on the Wick side close in March, will we have to go to Safeways for our papers?. I see in the P&J today that Safeways have been taken over by Somerfields. It is all change in wick. I see Elizabeths cafe has closed, the McNeils didnt have it for long. :(

Anonymous
20-Oct-04, 12:02
I hope tescos are going to come to Wick. Tescos is a lot cheaper than other supermarkets and the petrol is cheaper. We need the popular supermarkets. And tescos sell clothes and lots of health foods.

grmacken
20-Oct-04, 12:19
its the councils fault there isnt a tesco already, wick and thurso desprately need tesco's as safeways is utter crap. and it takes half an hour just to buy a packet of crisps in the coop.

Mandy
20-Oct-04, 12:38
I have my fingers crossed that they will open a Tesco's here in Wick - they have a great selection of vegetarian and vegan foods, which is something we need.

Wick really needs a Tesco's, for more variety, and to generate more jobs.

Anonymous
20-Oct-04, 13:31
Ive emailed the Caithness Area highland council and asked them if tescos is going to come to Wick. Im waiting for a reply and when I get it, ill tell you what they said.

Geo
20-Oct-04, 14:00
And - what will we do when the newspaper shops on the Wick side close in March(

Is that true? Surely not.

gravedigga
20-Oct-04, 14:47
What shops is it that are closing Fran? Only 2 left on the Wick side are Spar and Mace innit?

Although Tesco's may create more jobs won't it have a knock on effect and ppl will end up getting laid off from Safeway and the Coop?? Then we'll all be complaining if one of them close down. Putting Tesco beside Caithness Glass isn't exactly ideal for ppl living on the Pultney side with no car anyway.

I heard that the McNeills were re-opening Elizabeths in a few weeks, surely if they have any sense they won't employ tinks - that was one of the reasons i never went to Elizabeths, saying that though Elizabeths were really good when they first opened so maybe the McNeills will breathe new life in to it and make it what it used to be :)

trinkie
20-Oct-04, 16:23
If you do get a Tescos in Wick, then all of your little shops will close down.
Newspapers shops, Vegetable shops, clothes shops etc . and you will be left with only tescos and that will be a very sad day for Wick.

Their Own Brand products are complete rubbish - the lowest grade possible, I wont buy it.

If an item doesn't sell one week it is not ordered again. Unless there is a huge demand for vegetarian items then they wont stock it at all.

They survive on a huge turnover and will take all the trade from the existing shops.
Then when the little shops have gone you are left with very bad service and poor quality goods.

It has happened in our town. We have days when there is no bread, milk, potatoes, eggs ----------
think very carefully.

Fran
20-Oct-04, 19:00
gravedigger....its not the supermarkets but the two newspaper shops that are closing before March, the one in market square and their other one in Bridge Street. They have already donated a lot of goods to the hospice shop which was verey good of them. :lol:

gravedigga
20-Oct-04, 20:05
Wot DR Simpsons??

Mr P Cannop
20-Oct-04, 20:15
aye

JAWS
20-Oct-04, 20:53
If people don't like Tesco's goods they have a simple solution - don't go there!

If I don't think a shop of any kind is supplying products to my satisfaction I stay away. If other people wish to shop there that is fair enough, that is their choice and I for one would not wish to stop them. I don't see what right either I, or anybody else has to do that.

I would rather see the Caithness Glass site, or any other similar site, producing Rates, Council Tax, or whatever else they decide to call it, rather than see it taking local peoples money as Council Offices. (Yes, I know they have to be somewhere but what is wrong with the central location where they are already sited?)

Besides, if it is inconvenient for certain areas of Wick to get to as a Supermarket then surely the same applies even more so for Council Offices. As a Supermarket they can always go elsewhere but as Council Offices they have no other choice.

gravedigga
20-Oct-04, 21:03
Aye i never thought about that - old wifies from pultney having to trail all the way to the glass factory, not exactly ideal.

tides of pentland firth
20-Oct-04, 22:51
What land next to the Glass Factory? There is no free land next to the GF. Airport on the left, houses to the right, yon home thingy shop at the back and prime agricultural land infront.

Also, what's this nonsense that we need a Tesco's. We need air to breath, if we dont get that need we suffocate. So then how have we managed for the last 60 million years of Wick not having a Tesco? Remember the effects the Wal-Marts had on Small Town America?

'Sigh' [disgust]

Gizmo
21-Oct-04, 01:18
Tides is right, we dont need a Tescos, what we need is for the Co-op to seize hold of the golden opportunity that they have been given to gain a huge portion of the Wick supermarket trade, each week in Morrisons i notice more and more products being de-listed and the prices steadily rising, yet the shelves in the Co-op are still allways half empty, anyone ever tried getting bread in the Co-op at any other time other than the morning?

JAWS
21-Oct-04, 01:42
Man lived for "Millions" of years without Electricity. Look what that did to the makers of Candles and I dread to think of all the charcoal burners put out of work by the invention of modern steel making. And where are the nice men who used to light the gas-lamps, and the Town Cryers put out of work by all those nasty Newspaper Sellers.

Ban it all! Bring back the good old Mud Hut.

Progress! Bah, Humbug! It destroys everything!

Zael
21-Oct-04, 08:51
wot about old wifies having to trail all the way from the week side to lidls? Wick is only about a mile and a half across, if you can t walk that far, dont you get disablility benifit

Have to admit I didnt realise that they'd moved the airport to next door to the glass factory... I remember it being open space from the new factory all the way to the caravan site at lochshell then they build thon "great" business park. They must have moved the runway for that.

Of course we NEED a tescos, why should we have to suffer the massive prices in morrisons or the poor service in the co-op (if they even have the stock you want to buy - empty shelves dont sell that well anywhere)

If we're really lucky, the council building in the market square will collapse and we can get a "tesco metro", then all the old wifies will have the same distance to walk :)

grmacken
21-Oct-04, 09:02
ofc wick and thurso need a tesco, the cost of living is high enought as it is up here, most of the people in my area go to inverness for thier weekly shopping. in aberdeen all the major supermarkets are outside the center and they have thier own minibus services AND home delivery so the old folk dont have to carry thier stuff home. if the council has sense they will make a demand that tesco has a minibus service in order to get thier planning permission.

people want choice, good service and value for money. I dont know about old folk but I get totaly stressed out shopping in the coop and having to wait for so long to be served cant be good.

wicker
21-Oct-04, 09:07
Another supermarket is cool, more choice but doesnt always mean a better one with better prices though, just have to wait and see. Dont really listen to anything that is said about caithness or wick in particular anymore cos never turns out to be true.

Rather than supermarkets coming here what needs to be done is something to stop wick from dragging into a retirement towm, some complex thing for kids would be better get them off hanging about the street and giving them something to do.

There is absolutly nothing to do in wick entertainment wise unless you want to play bingo or goto pub and even then the pub entertainment aint all that great.

And as far as im aware mcneils dropped out of buying elizabeths cos if they bought there would have to take debts aswell and there was far to much of them so they dropped out and the place was decalred bankrupt

Henrik7
21-Oct-04, 10:10
I agree with grmacken, I think it would be great idea for Tescos to come up here. They don't just sell cheap quality food but sell good clothes, tv's, dvd players etc.

We also do need something to get the kids off the streets, especially at night. Wick doesn't feel safe to walk through the street anymore with the amount of youths that hang about at boots and the town hall waving at the cruisers. Maybe if there was something for youngsters to do it would take their minds off damaging cars in the town.

tides of pentland firth
21-Oct-04, 14:43
Left of the GF is airport land. That green fusalage thing you can see from the road is on an disused runway.

We talking about Tesco as if it would be the giant giga 24/7 massive thing in Inverness. It wouldnt be quarter the size of that.

As for a complex thingy. Do you see the ones that sit on boots step and the TSB going to a complex thing? I don't.

grmacken
21-Oct-04, 15:14
I was thinking more of the dingwall sized tesco

larcc
21-Oct-04, 17:53
Rumour has it they are buying over the morrisons stores

I hope they do especially for the clothes for children with the end of the more store they have a good range of clothes.....

dragonfly
21-Oct-04, 18:07
[quote="larcc"]Rumour has it they are buying over the morrisons stores

it was on Moray Firth today that Morrisons are planning on selling off their Compact stores and most likely to be sold to the Co-op - hopefully not the case! :~(

2little2late
21-Oct-04, 21:31
Wouldn't you rather have an Asda than Tesco? After all, Asda has been voted the cheapest supermarket for the 7th year running. Asda has everything from groceries to clothing, electrical goods, household goods etc.Everything under one roof. The same as Tesco I know but hell of a lot cheaper. Believe me, if you had a Tesco you would be no better off as they are very expensive. We have 3 Tesco's, 1 Asda and 1 Safeway. We have shopped at them all and we have found Asda to be the cheapest.

Now, we wouldn't be without Asda.
It cannot be beaten on price.

daviddd
21-Oct-04, 21:38
I can't see that tesco's is cheaper than Safeway's or the Co-op - if you check in the Inverness one you'll find they're dearer. There is good choice though. There's abs noth wrong with Lidl's, good cheap food, excellent cheap beer, lots o' bruck ter rummage in :p

gravedigga
21-Oct-04, 22:41
Check out the stats here. . . .

http://www.tesco.com/price_check_search/

Fran
22-Oct-04, 02:37
:Razz It was in the P & J yesterday that Somerfields have purchased Morrisons compact stores, including Wick and Thurso. I have never heard of them so I dont know if they are going to be any better.
Surveyors were measuring to the left of Caithness Glass, said they were measuring for Tescos, but they havent applied for planning permission yet and I suppose the council will refuse again [mad]

JAWS
22-Oct-04, 03:27
Of course they will block any such application for a Supermarket, all the extra traffic might disturb the peace and quiet at the Airport and on the Industrial Estate.

Besides, it's Out of Town Shopping and you can't have that, only Out of Town Council Offices for the benefit of the public!

grmacken
22-Oct-04, 08:45
somerfields are ok, they have a store behind the bon accord center in aberdeen, I wouldnt go as far as saying they are better than safeway is now... they are like a big mace.

AR
22-Oct-04, 13:58
didnt somerfield used to be called gateway?

daviddd
22-Oct-04, 17:47
nearest Somerfield's is in Dingwall - not up to much in my opinion but I'll try anything once! ;)

Junie
22-Oct-04, 21:30
The two newspaper shops that have been mentioned in this thread are not closing!! They are up for sale but they will not be shutting down. Giving things to the hospice is just something that the owner does from time to time.:D :D

gravedigga
22-Oct-04, 21:43
Glad to hear it, i did think it was a bit strange, everytime i go in DR's there's always people in it - reckon they make a fine profit in there like.

MadPict
23-Oct-04, 15:11
Welcome another superstore to the outskirts of Wick and you have no-one to blame but yourselves when all the shops in Wick are boarded up and empty.
WICK IS SO, SO BORING (http://www.caithness.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=31911#31911)

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminmad.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

JAWS
23-Oct-04, 16:50
I'm still waiting to see the town where that has already happened.

robin_1991
25-Oct-04, 18:48
Welcome another superstore to the outskirts of Wick and you have no-one to blame but yourselves when all the shops in Wick are boarded up and empty.
WICK IS SO, SO BORING (http://www.caithness.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=31911#31911)

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

WHAT!!? HOW IS IT?

MadPict
25-Oct-04, 20:46
It is a link to the thread of the same name, where I posted about why I thought Wick was suffering. I did it that way rather than duplicate my post.

kev
25-Oct-04, 22:47
i think so tesco is better

grmacken
26-Oct-04, 09:36

Take a long hard look at wick, you think more jobs is going to be bad for the place... a tesco would attract people to the place from all over caithness and the east of sutherland, people who may stop in at the shops in the center.