PDA

View Full Version : Continental Market

willowbankbear
10-Sep-06, 16:54
Was anybody at it this weekend? I went through the street on Thursday morning & a female trader approached me & asked if I would like to buy a bag of sweeties from her? Well I was just back from the dentists in Thurso, having had an extraction and was a bit groggy with one side of the mouth still numb. As I turned to face her I remembered the blood would come out as I struggled to speak, I pointed to my gob to which she looked at me in shocked stunned silence as if I was Dracula [lol] .

martin macdonald
10-Sep-06, 17:05
i was down but could not see the food for the flies and wasps:roll:

_Ju_
10-Sep-06, 17:46
Martin, all the flies had black and yellow stripes (ie: wasps)

It was fun and I hope that next year we get two visits as well. The weather was great, which is why there has been this wasp boon this year. Last year I dont remember wasps at any time.

willowbankbear
10-Sep-06, 18:09
Martin, all the flies had black and yellow stripes (ie: wasps)

It was fun and I hope that next year we get two visits as well. The weather was great, which is why there has been this wasp boon this year. Last year I dont remember wasps at any time.

I remember the wasps last year, Ive got a scar on my arm where the insect stung me[evil]

scorrie
10-Sep-06, 18:44
I remember the wasps last year, Ive got a scar on my arm where the insect stung me[evil]

I think a lot more people have complained about being stung at the Continental Market, and there wasn't a wasp or bee in sight!!

angela5
10-Sep-06, 18:55
I did have the pleasure of 2 wasps buzzing around me. Mind you, i was drooling over my pancakes and syrup at the time.:D

porshiepoo
10-Sep-06, 22:48
The blinkin wasps are awful this year, never before have we had them like this where we are.
It was so bad last week that Paris and I had both hubbies out armed with all sorts looking for the wasp nests that we're sure must have been all over the building.
Didn't find none though. [evil]

Elenna
10-Sep-06, 23:37
I think a lot more people have complained about being stung at the Continental Market, and there wasn't a wasp or bee in sight!!

It might have depended on when you were there, Scorrie. The couple of times were were down, the wasps were an awful hazard. Several of the traders got stung, and when I went to put my rubbish in the bin, a small swarm flew out :eek:

DrSzin
10-Sep-06, 23:42
Several of the traders got stungI doubt that very much! Scorries don't sting, but their soh is often lost in these parts.

Elenna
11-Sep-06, 00:10
I doubt that very much!

I was speaking about wasps and wasp stings, as were others on this thread. There were many wasps when I was there in town, and people got stung. Including traders. I spoke to them, they showed me the stings. We had seven of the traders staying here at the B&B, and they spoke of it. People were indeed stung...by wasps...in the market this week.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Sep-06, 00:45
WWB is it just me or is the Continental Market thing being over done.Once a year it was a change....an annual thing like Christmas.Two times a year......oh well!!!!

canuck
11-Sep-06, 00:51

And two years ago it had to be closed one afternoon because of the hurricane force winds. That is the day I attended. I remember that a bar of soap got loose and landed in a small puddle of water. Well, by the time it was found it had left a slimey mess which made for some wonderful slipping and sliding in the scurry for cover.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
11-Sep-06, 01:00
And two years ago it had to be closed one afternoon because of the hurricane force winds. That is the day I attended. I remember that a bar of soap got loose and landed in a small puddle of water. Well, by the time it was found it had left a slimey mess which made for some wonderful slipping and sliding in the scurry for cover.

Ahhhh canuck so that would have put a bit of suds in the works.Cheers ma pal for makin me a 1000th post.HURRAH!!!!

The song thread is still controversial........grrrrrrrrr:lol: :lol:

canuck
11-Sep-06, 01:05
It takes a few minutes for the 1K to appear, but it will be there soon. I know, I had to do it twice.

Congratulations my friend!

henry20
11-Sep-06, 08:22
I haven't made it to any of the continental markets this year, but I was speaking to a friend who had been. She was speaking to 'the cheese man' and he said it cost him more to come here than what he made when they were at Thurso and that trade was even worse this week.

It would appear that with frequent visits the market has become less of a novelty for everyone.

willowbankbear
11-Sep-06, 08:43
Once a year I think would be plenty

candyfloss
11-Sep-06, 09:56
I went down a look just to get some pancakes and syrup :) , was'nt really bothered about anything else. I think once a year is enough too, but i wish they would bring back the plants next time :(

angela5
11-Sep-06, 10:06
I went down a look just to get some pancakes and syrup :) , was'nt really bothered about anything else. I think once a year is enough too, but i wish they would bring back the plants next time :(

Even more yummy with some chocolate sauce.

candyfloss
11-Sep-06, 10:17
Even more yummy with some chocolate sauce.
My little one had some with toffee sauce and cream it was yummy tooooooo :D

henry20
11-Sep-06, 10:23
STOP IT!! I'm starting to drool.

saxovtr
11-Sep-06, 11:16
bit expensive down there last time so never bothered with it this time!!! u catch anything on saturday ?

cuddlepop
11-Sep-06, 11:58
They were over on Skye recently for three days in Portree.Good selection of stalls ,bit expensive.wasps were terrible but everyone enjoyed them visiting.Dont know if it'd pay them to come over more than once though.:eek: