PDA

View Full Version : Wilson street Thurso?

nevergiveup
03-May-11, 21:47
Would anyone know when the existing houses in Wilson Street were built?
Did the present houses replace others?
:Razz

Whitewater
03-May-11, 23:34
Not too sure when they were built but I'm sure it must have been before WW2, and I would think that the houses behind them in Grove lane were built at the some time. I was born in Grove lane in 1942 and I always remember these houses being there, I think the glebe was the first lot to be built after the war.

gollach
03-May-11, 23:38
I reckon that they must have been built on the site of other houses. Robert Dick's house would have had other houses beside it in that street but the current ones look too new. Would the current houses in Wilson Street and Grove Lane have been built around the same time as the old gas works (where the Coop is now)?

stumpy
04-May-11, 08:01
I know it's not the original topic,but I'm sure the Glebe was built before the war,round about 1935-36.

thirsaloon
04-May-11, 15:13
The new housing was proposed in 1934 according to the minute of Housing Committee for Thurso Town Council held on 18th Dec., along with Dr Dick, Medical Officer, Mr Reid, Sanitary Inspector, and Mr Sinclair Macdonald, architect. The old houses which was there at the time were referred to as “slums”.

It was agreed to form Grove Lane and Wilson Street into a clearance area and that Dr Dick along with the Sanitary Inspector make a further inspection of the area.

There was a delay building the houses due the bad weather at the time this was around early 1937 – the work was carried out by Messrs McKain and Sutherland. They had 39 men employed in the work including 13 carpenters which later dropped to 23 men in 1938.

At the time the tenants who had been allocated the new housing in Wilson Street complained that they wanted a gate each at the back, rather than one common gate. This added to the cost with six extra gates costing £12. The men had now been increased again with 48 employed and a further 12 working on the road for the Grove Lane/ Wilson Street housing scheme which had an estimated cost of £860. By April of 1938 12 of the houses in Wilson Street were occupied.

Hope my rambles have been of some help!

Gleber2
04-May-11, 17:03
No one has mentioned the other side of the street where Robert Dick had his bakery next door to the Police Station. I can just remember them being demolished so must have been very early fifties.

thirsaloon
04-May-11, 17:23
No one has mentioned the other side of the street where Robert Dick had his bakery next door to the Police Station. I can just remember them being demolished so must have been very early fifties.

1954 for Wilson Terrace, Gleber. The police station was further up from Robert Dicks House. I have a good photograph of it.

nevergiveup
04-May-11, 21:30
Thank you Thursoloon for your interesting information,and please keepup your ramblings!! Yes Gleber I vaguely remember the bake house round the corner from Robert Dick House! especially the aromas!!

Spongeboab
05-May-11, 00:14
here's a link from the Johnston Collection ...

http://www.johnstoncollection.net/show_image_adv.aspx?id=JN20751B007&mode=0&term=wilson%20street&pindex=0

it estimates the date as being from the 1860's and gives a glimpse of what was there before

thirsaloon
05-May-11, 11:41
No problem, glad to help if I can.