PDA

View Full Version : Caithness language

Fran
20-Oct-04, 03:30
:roll: Why do Caithness people ask a question and answer at the same time? Example " do you want a drink,no ". Does that mean no you dont want a drink. Or"Are you going my way,yes" Does that mean- you will give me a lift wont you. they always ask and answer, so why bother asking!!! Also they say "how are you today" and before you get the chance to say you broke your arm, your legs in plaster, the cat died,you banged your head etc. they are gone and half way down the street, they dont wait for the answer so why ask!!! :lol:

trinkie
20-Oct-04, 16:00
Fran, it's when they stop speaking to you that you start to worry...just keep smiling.

tides of pentland firth
20-Oct-04, 23:06
" do you want a drink,no "

I'm a born and bred Weeker and have never heard this.

I found out reacently an interesting fact, "Shot" is only used in Caithness, i.e. "Div ye want a shot o ma playstation William"?
There were a few like that but, as usual I have forgotten them.

JammyDodger69
21-Oct-04, 10:20

Only heard people from the Glasgow area saying it like that..

linzy222
21-Oct-04, 11:06
Yes my kids do it all the time

"can we have some money, Yeah"

"can we go out, Yeah"

"Is it bedtime, No"

Etc etc

golach
21-Oct-04, 12:58

I found out reacently an interesting fact, "Shot" is only used in Caithness, i.e. "Div ye want a shot o ma playstation William"?
There were a few like that but, as usual I have forgotten them.

I was born in Caithness but brought up in Perthshire villages and the term "Gies a Shot" is or was a common enough term especially along the banks of the Tay East of Perth

Golach