PDA

View Full Version : Guess what an injured soldier's got planned this week

Nwicker60
02-May-11, 13:41
Soldier's mission-a cycling
marathon with artificial legs!

A HIGHLAND soldier, who lost both his legs while serving in Afghanistan, has lined up an amazing challenge for the hi-tec replacements...a Land’s end to John O’ Groats cycle run for charity.
RAF sergeant, Duncan Slater, from Muir of Ord, wants to do something for the charities that helped him along the road to recovery. Duncan needed all the help he could get after the life-changing incident when his Jackal armoured vehicle was blown up the Bbaji district.
The 32-year-old managed to radio for help and was airlifted to Camp Bastion, the main British base in Afghanistan. He was then flown to Selly Oag Hospital, Birmingham and underwent the operation which saw both his legs amputated below the knee.
Duncan, who lives at RAF Honington, near Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, said: “It won’t be long before I leave the RAF and I wanted to give something back, before I go. I have raised about £2000 so far and my target is £5000.”
The cash will be split between Help for Heroes and the RAF Benevolent Fund. Duncan has two set of new legs and will be using the slimmed-down version, so it doesn’t interfere with his cycling, too much, on the 600 miles run. He hopes to clock up 80 miles per day on a standard road-racing bike and plans to hit the road on Wednesday with an e.t.a at John O’ Groats of May 10.
Anyone who would like to support, Duncan, meantime, can do so by logging onto www.just-giving.com/duncan-slater (http://www.just-giving.com/duncan-slater)