PDA

View Full Version : Battery help

badger
09-Sep-06, 19:03
My old cordless phone, which I loved, was killed by a storm, the model is discontinued and I couldn't find anything else as neat so was delighted to find one on ebay that also had answering machine. All was well until a teeny power cut last night and found this morning answering was off, date and time gone, also OGM gone. So realised it had no battery. Hadn't even thought about it before and can't imagine why anyone would design one without it - completely mad. Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a small battery backup I can plug it into? UPS would be much too expensive for this but can't think what to do. At least I've still got my old answering machine to use if I go away but it's a real pain having to re-programme the new one.

blueivy
10-Sep-06, 13:55
Hi Badger,

Without knowing what model it is (you didn't say!) the only thing I could think of it you wiring a battery into it but then you'd need to know what you're doing.

A UPS may not be a bad option - if you wrongly wire the battery suggestion above then you may say bye bye to your phone, a UPS from http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113906 is only £44 + carriage. May keep the phone going long enough for you.

badger
10-Sep-06, 17:28
Thanks for that. It's a Samsung SP-R6150 but, as I said, discontinued and bought on ebay so no point complaining. Don't think I'd even contemplate messing about with wiring, especially as it's quite small. Didn't cost enough to justify even £44 although the original price was quite a lot. I bought it because I wanted a flip cordless and there don't seem to be many. The BT one was really badly reviewed and, although this one could be more user friendly, I really like it.
What I need is someone to invent a sort of adapter with battery. Fancy trying?

blueivy
10-Sep-06, 19:20
Hi Badger,

You could maybe pick up a second hand UPS on eBay.

I'm strictly IT I'm afraid ... I'm not one for messing with electricity but from the little I know it would probably be a battery, some sort of resistor(s) and the connection. UPS is the way to go! :D

badger
10-Sep-06, 19:29
Hadn't thought of that. Bought the phone on ebay so why not a UPS? Will look tomorrow. Did try my engineer son but he just shook his head at me. You'd think there'd be a Professor Branestawm somewhere on the org (or is he before your time?) :roll:

blueivy
11-Sep-06, 12:43
Hadn't thought of that. Bought the phone on ebay so why not a UPS? Will look tomorrow. Did try my engineer son but he just shook his head at me. You'd think there'd be a Professor Branestawm somewhere on the org (or is he before your time?) :roll:

Quickly looked up Professor Branestawm and he was originally drawn in 1933 so a little before my time :) I am old enough to have a daughter but not old enough that she'd be able to wire a battery to the phone (although at 5 she'd probably give it a go ...)

badger
11-Sep-06, 19:40
Oops, even I'm not that old. But my brother and I loved him as children. Looked on ebay but nothing smaller than a normal UPS for computers. Read all the reviews on Amazon for my Samsung and none of them mentioned lack of battery - very odd. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Thinking about it, my other BT one only backs up messages, not time, OGM etc. so maybe it's not that odd.
Might try to get a Prof Branestawm book for my grandchildren and see if they like him but probably too dated.