PDA

View Full Version : beach fishing at Dunnet

Restlessnative
30-Apr-11, 23:41
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why nearly everyone goes fishing on Dunnet beach at night time? Is there a local club that people can join for advice on equipment to use, best place's and time to fish?

I've never had much success at the beach so I think I must be missing a trick? I don't want to go wasting hundreds of pounds on equipment that just won't work....

Advice would be great.

Should of really went down and asked but didn't like to look daft + cold and fishless haha

thanks

Mystical Potato Head
01-May-11, 10:19
Best time for beach fishing is at night or as its getting dark.Dunnet is one of the beast beaches around for Bass.
Thurso beach has a few bass as well plus loads of flatties,again,best time to start fishing is when the sun starts to set.
The rocks at Scrabster and all the way out to Holborn Head are great for spinning for Pollack and Coalies.Plenty in the 2-3 lb range which put up a great fight.
Biggest one i've had of the rocks,right at the point of Holborn Head is 6lb and boy did it put up a scrap on a 9ft spinning rod.

Restlessnative
02-May-11, 12:08
thanks for taken time to answer my questions. I think I'm going to try and concentrate more on the beach this year. I've spent years sea fishing from the boats, rocks and harbours on the east coast of Caithness and I'm bored with catching the same things time and again.

Do you know what sort of rigs & bait works for the bass on Dunnet?

kmackay
04-May-11, 08:39
Was there the other night with my other half, his Dad and brother. They got quite a few bigger ones considering they weren't out all that long. As far as I know they were mainly using lugworms for bait.

Restlessnative
04-May-11, 09:33
Thanks for reply, I'll give lug-worms a try next time I go, what time did you keep fishing till? Was strange seeing everyone appearing as the sun went down.

highbury
04-May-11, 09:33
for rigs, check out www.fishwithfinn.co.uk (http://www.fishwithfinn.co.uk)
Graham is moving back to Dunbeath from Kent toward the end of the month, but I'm sure he'll be happy to post stuff up to you in the meantime

kmackay
06-May-11, 13:07
I think we were out until about 10.45-11.00pm. Even after we had packed up there was still a load of people still on the beach, who knows how long the stayed out til.

slinky
06-May-11, 13:40
http://www.worldseafishing.com

Robinwood
12-Aug-11, 06:54
lol ! I never tried fishing at night ... All i do at night is to hang around with my friends for parties and night clubs etc... :( guess am missing lot of fun...