PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Castletown/caithness

onecalledk
30-Apr-11, 18:54
was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of where I could find maps or other info about ancient castletown, I am looking for information about what the land was used for in a few centuries ago. I need to go back further than the 1600s. Does anyone know if any battles were fought on what is now castletown, by battles I dont mean during the world wars , probably around viking times etc ......

K

Torvaig
30-Apr-11, 23:30
I see you live in Castletown; I presume you know about the wonderful heritage centre down at the harbour? Not sure how far back their records go. You can find old maps on the internet; just google "Old Caithness maps".

Dog-eared
01-May-11, 12:05
Have you been to see the Selkie's Grave ?

Vistravi
01-May-11, 19:29
was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of where I could find maps or other info about ancient castletown, I am looking for information about what the land was used for in a few centuries ago. I need to go back further than the 1600s. Does anyone know if any battles were fought on what is now castletown, by battles I dont mean during the world wars , probably around viking times etc ......

K

The old church just behind your shop has always interested me. I think if i could in the future i'd restore it as a labour of love. Hardly likely but if i could i would. As a child i found it creepy now as an adult i find it intruiging.

Have you had the time to look around where the workers and their families who were involved in the flagstone era lived? Can't remember how to get in but my partner and i had a wander around and we found it very interesting. Best done on a dry day though.

Vistravi
01-May-11, 19:31

K

I'd be very interested in your findings. I love history. When we go on holiday we always find historical sites to visit.

gerry4
02-May-11, 14:12
Have you been to see the Selkie's Grave ?

Where is it, I presume somewhere near the harbour?

bekisman
02-May-11, 15:53
If you have a look at this link http://www.caithness.org/atoz/castletown/photogallery/thumbs.htm?0?2 it mentions selkie

Duncansby
03-May-11, 17:24
As well as the other suggestions:

There might be references in the Old and New Statistical Accounts to the pre modern period which can be browsed here for free: http://edina.ac.uk/stat-acc-scot/ (just click browse scanned pages).

You could also try the Caithness Archive Centre in Wick Library which is worth a look too. They have a range of local books such as J T Calder's History of Caithness.

If you want to go to a primary source for Vikings try one of the Icelandic Sagas, specifically the Orkneyinga Saga. It gives a good account of the political disputes that went on during the eleventh to thirteenth centuries.

For ancient history there is an Ancient History of Caithness, Orkney and the North - but I haven't read it. Wick Library probably has a copy.

Vistravi
03-May-11, 17:50
Found this, may give you a starting point.

http://www.caithness.org/community/museums/castletownheritage/timeline.htm

The Music Monster
03-May-11, 18:35
Thank you for all this information - I'm going to go and explore again, I clearly missed so much :) !