PDA

View Full Version : Happy Royal Wedding Day!

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 01:02
What is everyone doing to celebrate?

changilass
29-Apr-11, 01:18
Turning off the TV and radio and sorting out the attic.

pmcd
29-Apr-11, 01:19
Crumpets, Bunting, and loud shouts of "Huzzah!" at the right places!

porshiepoo
29-Apr-11, 07:01
Wanna see the dress then going outside to garden.

brandy
29-Apr-11, 07:07
cant wait! looking forwards to it.. and making my poor husband sit thru the wedding as well!

John Little
29-Apr-11, 07:12
I am going to work.

Gronnuck
29-Apr-11, 07:30
I'm in the shed dear!

brandy
29-Apr-11, 07:47
have you been very bad gronnuck? *G

Gronnuck
29-Apr-11, 08:13
have you been very bad gronnuck? *G

Psssst ...that's where the beer is.

Phill
29-Apr-11, 08:16
Working, cleaning ........crumpets! Hmmm, what a good idea!

Scandalously pinched from another forum:

Bah humbug, grumble grumble...biggest public event for 30 years....a day we'll all remember...grumble grumble....I remember seeing Kate and Wills, gosh they looked so young then...a huge waste of public money....spend it on schools...it was great to see BBMF and operational aircraft, mind you, no Harriers....he was a proper pilot, he was....those days we could get a 1000 soldiers lining the route....tears in me eyes....grumble grumble...waste of my day off....Charles and Di? yes I remember that day too....proper street party in them days....'elf and safety...waste of money....made you proud to be British....we could really do them events in those days....grumble grumble....didn't get TOIL...bloody asylum seekers...the RAF was 41,000 strong then...could fit'em in me local sports centre now....waste of money...all them horses an' manure...who'll pay for that lot, eh? Aye, was a grand day...bloody bands? Who need's em....bloody Army....ad nauseum

golach
29-Apr-11, 08:49
Going shopping to Asda, Morrisons, & Sainsburys.

Venture
29-Apr-11, 09:04
Well I, like millions of others all around the world, shall be glued to every moment. Come on now what girl dosen't like watching a wedding. For a day at least, we can watch TV without being reminded of all the sadness in the world. Looking forward to seeing the dress and all the wedding outfits. I think they make a lovely couple and really feel for Prince William that his mother Princess Diana will not be there to share the day with him. All the best for the future to both of them.

Mystical Potato Head
29-Apr-11, 09:24
Just in off nightshift so with a bit of luck i'll sleep through the whole saga.

annemarie482
29-Apr-11, 09:32
i'm no royalist, but i must admit it's a wee bit nice! lol
i'm enjoying watching the wedding so far, although i will be out this afternoon, i'll catch the highlights!
maybe its just my pregnancy hormones, but its just nice to see something nice and happy :)

Phill
29-Apr-11, 09:39
I suppose I may have several beers a small glass of sherry later. Only out of duty mind!

Vistravi
29-Apr-11, 10:04
Well I, like millions of others all around the world, shall be glued to every moment. Come on now what girl dosen't like watching a wedding. For a day at least, we can watch TV without being reminded of all the sadness in the world. Looking forward to seeing the dress and all the wedding outfits. I think they make a lovely couple and really feel for Prince William that his mother Princess Diana will not be there to share the day with him. All the best for the future to both of them.

This one don't ;)

I don't watch tv. We do have one but its used for the xbox :)

I've got better things to do than watch rubbish on tv.

shazzap
29-Apr-11, 10:26
Not in this house. Though i suppose i won't escape it, as it will be thrown down our throats, on the news.

Dadie
29-Apr-11, 10:33
Just waiting to see the dress!
Then I will go and do something in the garden.
And get the highlights onn the news later.

annemarie482
29-Apr-11, 11:08
kate is absolutely stunning!
dress is very traditional and understated!
very romantic awwwwwwwwwwww :) :cry:

Niamh
29-Apr-11, 11:36
NOTHING. Gaah. I don't see why everyone has to make a big deal out of it. They're just two people getting married- no better than you or me!! I do hope they have a happy life and that they have a nice day - but that's because they are people, not because they are royal. I really hate the monarchy and the idea that someone is born to be head of state. The institution is sexist, and discriminates religion - we do NOT live in a democracy. we NEED a republic.

squidge
29-Apr-11, 12:02
It's lovely. The music has been fab the dress is lovely and the mix of guests is great. Britain does pomp better than anyone. And I would far sooner have someone committed to being head of state since they were born yhan a ghastly president Blair or brown or god forbid president thatcher or Cameron yuk yuk yuk yuk. Sandy toskvig says David Cameron looks like C3PO made out of boiled ham lol.

It's been pleasant to watch it

Phill
29-Apr-11, 12:04
NOTHING. Gaah. I don't see why everyone has to make a big deal out of it. They're just two people getting married- no better than you or me!! I do hope they have a happy life and that they have a nice day - but that's because they are people, not because they are royal. I really hate the monarchy and the idea that someone is born to be head of state. The institution is sexist, and discriminates religion - we do NOT live in a democracy. we NEED a republic.

Yeay! Vive la Révolution!
(Don't worry! Snookers on soon)

pmcd
29-Apr-11, 12:49
Not a good day to be a Republican. Why is it that Republicans use that low, self-indulgent whine whenever they attempt to make their case? What is it about joylessness which appeals so much?

It was bright, fun, and moving spectacle. Long live HM & Co. The Old Firm does it best!

whaligoechiel
29-Apr-11, 12:59
Royal weddings are a waste of time and money but the divorces are much more fun, give this one three years before the first cracks appear or are blocked by the palace remember she is a commoner!!!!!

golach
29-Apr-11, 13:03
Is it over yet? Can we get back to serious issues, such as the Snooker World Championships and Vampires in Portgower

Kodiak
29-Apr-11, 13:39
For all you out in Orgland who missed the kiss on the Balcony :-

http://i54.tinypic.com/23j65jr.jpg

golach
29-Apr-11, 13:56
Thanks a bunch Kodiak!!! I really needed that [disgust]

Kodiak
29-Apr-11, 14:04

I knew you would like that golach :D

The Music Monster
29-Apr-11, 14:16
I loved every minute of the service and watching the parades through London, too! I think some people just need to let a little bit more of this into their lives and it might just make them more pleasant to be around.

I'm thoroughly expecting an outcry against this post, but if you want a republic, kindly leave this country so you can find one. The monarchy bring a lot of international interest and money to this country and our economy would almost certainly be even worse without them.

PS Am I the only girl who thought that Prince Harry really outshone his brother?!

Walter Ego
29-Apr-11, 14:18
Not a good day to be a Republican. Why is it that Republicans use that low, self-indulgent whine whenever they attempt to make their case? What is it about joylessness which appeals so much?

It was bright, fun, and moving spectacle. Long live HM & Co. The Old Firm does it best!

You're right, you know.

They are a bunch of miserable negative sods on the whole. Always whining on about 'them' and 'us', inverted snobbery and jealousy I reckon.

I've not watched the wedding, I'm on the road most of today heading North, I'm not that bothered about watching it either - but good luck to them.
And we Brits know how to lay on a 'proper' ceremony. All the Republican ceremonies I've seen are wannabee events really, usually populated by dull suits and their even duller agendas.
Even the Yanks can't get it right - it always looks like Mickey Mouse is about to appear just after the horrendous chocolate box lid bands and soldiers have marched past[lol]

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 14:36
What a magnificent spectacle it was! Such pomp and pageantry cannot be matched anywhere in the world. Didn't young Kate look magnificent? She has such confidence and such regal poise. She will be a fabulous successor to Queen Camilla when her time comes.

I look forward to the next Royal Wedding when Zara Phillips marries Mike Tindall in Edinburgh on July 30.

Carole
29-Apr-11, 14:49
Watched the wedding at Pentland View with my Mum and lots of her new friends. Great feel-good factor.

Do not understand why some folks (especially in their first post here) can't just enjoy the spectacle and be happy for the couple. As my Mum kept saying, Kate's life will never be the same again ....... and I'm not sure I would like to take on her new responsibilities.

Gronnuck
29-Apr-11, 14:52

Yep - let's have a Head of State appointed using the same methodology they use to appoint Life Peers. We could have President Tony Blair, who instigated a questionable war, or President Gordon Brown with all his skills in financial management. Perhaps we could appoint a President Alan Sugar with his well known views on women and their quest for equality.
We could always borrow a president to act as Head of State until we can sort out our own. What about President Silvio Berlusconi, he so kind to young ladies isn't he. Or what about President Pervez Musharraf, we could borrow him from Pakistan which is judged the 11th most corrupt nation on earth but I'm sure it isn't his fault.
I'd be interested in any other suggestions for a Head of State of the UK ---- on the other hand I wouldn't really, because I'm happy with the one we've got. She's still working twenty years past her retirement age and still hasn't collected her Bus Pass.

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 15:01
You're right, you know.

They are a bunch of miserable negative sods on the whole. Always whining on about 'them' and 'us', inverted snobbery and jealousy I reckon.

I've not watched the wedding, I'm on the road most of today heading North, I'm not that bothered about watching it either - but good luck to them.
And we Brits know how to lay on a 'proper' ceremony. All the Republican ceremonies I've seen are wannabee events really, usually populated by dull suits and their even duller agendas.
Even the Yanks can't get it right - it always looks like Mickey Mouse is about to appear just after the horrendous chocolate box lid bands and soldiers have marched past[lol]Oh, I don't know...the Americans are pretty darned good at it too. I've experienced that proud patriotic surge in my chest whilst witnessing 4th of July parades and the like - and then felt a bit of a fool when I remembered I'm not American. :lol:

John Little
29-Apr-11, 15:20
What a magnificent spectacle it was! Such pomp and pageantry cannot be matched anywhere in the world. Didn't young Kate look magnificent? She has such confidence and such regal poise. She will be a fabulous successor to Queen Camilla when her time comes.

I look forward to the next Royal Wedding when Zara Phillips marries Mike Tindall in Edinburgh on July 30.

LOL! I have to say that it is beyond all doubt that you do the best meow on the entire org. :)

Carole
29-Apr-11, 15:35
LOL! I have to say that it is beyond all doubt that you do the best meow on the entire org. :)

Nice short day John. ;)

John Little
29-Apr-11, 15:45
Nope - still at work.

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 15:48
LOL! I have to say that it is beyond all doubt that you do the best meow on the entire org. :)Look at this photo and tell me which one looks like time served professional royalty.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52409000/jpg/_52409327_011858581-1.jpg

John Little
29-Apr-11, 15:51
I'm not sure that it follows that either do.

I think it's probably something more to do with being comfortable in your own skin and confident in who you are.

Venture
29-Apr-11, 15:54

If you're not in the slightest bit interested in the wedding golach, why are you even looking at the thread.:lol:

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 15:55
That's a fair point John, I suppose mine is that the Duchess of Cambridge (Countess of Strathearn) looks more comfortable than the Duke (Earl).

John Little
29-Apr-11, 15:59
Not surprising really - I still remember the tumble drier in my belly on my own wedding day.

Amy-Winehouse
29-Apr-11, 17:48
I watched bits of it, Kate is a very beautiful woman , I have to say. Then went for a walk through the town & thought why did Caithness general nor Wick town hall have a Union flag flying today ???? We do get regular visits from the queen & her family, Was it too much of an effort to fly the union flag for 1 day? Whether you like royalty or not - I thought it was a slight lack of respect from us Wickers.

trix
29-Apr-11, 18:19
we hed a brilliant day at ma work.

'e girls wis all dressed up wi' frocks on an' fascinators in wur hair. we hed some booze an' strawberrys dipped in chocolate....all very sophisticated :cool:

'e clients telt us what a lovely day they hed an' we hed discussions on whether kate hed 'put oot' before her weddin day....'na', said ma most o' 'e wifies, tho one said, 'ach aye...its 'e 21st century, efter all' :lol:

we also spoke aboot whether prince harry really 'belonged' til prince charles :lol: (i kwite fancy harry)

we all hed a right royal laugh......an i loved 'e kiss on 'e balcony.

wis fair delited wi' 'e whole day.

porshiepoo
29-Apr-11, 19:01
I agree! It's OK for locals to make the most of the fact that the Queen mum had a residence here and that Charles visits each year - helps boost the local area, provide jobs and helps put the area on the map so to speak and yet not even so much as a whiff of a flag.

I caught part of a conversation the other day where one lady was saying to another that she wouldn't be attending street parties or watching the event because "it's not really of interest to us up here". A comment was then made by another lady to the effect of it being "more for the English".
While it doesn't bother me that people feel like that or make those statements I do think it a tad hypocritical and sad.

Was a great wedding to watch purely for the pomp and ceremony. Great to see that the monarchy still means something to the UK and people all over the world. They're the new generation of royals and I think Kate will fit in perfectly.

Loved lip reading too lol. Saw Kate make some comment to William as they got in the carriage along the lines of "are you happy". Awwwww.
Interesting to see Kate bow her head everytime William saluted - never noticed that sort of stuff before.

lindsaymcc
29-Apr-11, 19:10
I thought it was lovely! Best of luck to them both, and I hope the pressure isnt too much for them.

I did think that Kate's sister looked stunning - her dress was more what I was imagining Kate to wear!

golach
29-Apr-11, 19:11
If you're not in the slightest bit interested in the wedding golach, why are you even looking at the thread.:lol:
Venture, I am a pure born Kaitnessian, born to be nosey, I am not interested in many of the forums here, but that does not stop me having a snekky wee look at them [lol]

gleeber
29-Apr-11, 19:23
I enjoyed the bits I saw. I watched the ceremony for about half an hour and then watched highlights on the news. It's a rare event and I was happy to join the gang for a while. Best of luck to them.

Gronnuck
29-Apr-11, 21:11
.....yet not even so much as a whiff of a flag.

There was a Union flag flying in Scarfskerry until 'the Kiss' then it was replaced with a smiley flag.:lol:

neepnipper
29-Apr-11, 21:48
Thought it was fabulous, enjoyed every marvellous second. I loved it when they drove out in the Aston Martin, not what you'd expect to see!

I wish them every joy and happiness in the world.

oldmarine
29-Apr-11, 22:11
cant wait! looking forwards to it.. and making my poor husband sit thru the wedding as well!

Why would you want to do that unless he would want to do so? After viewing the comments, looks like I missed a lot of pleasant events.

Moira
29-Apr-11, 22:45
I watched bits of it, Kate is a very beautiful woman , I have to say.

Then went for a walk through the town & thought why did Caithness general nor Wick town hall have a Union flag flying today ???? .

Me too and I agree.

It didn't occur to me that we should have been flying flags today though I'm not acquaint with local civic protocols and how this relates to our Royal connection.

I agree! It's OK for locals to make the most of the fact that the Queen mum had a residence here and that Charles visits each year - helps boost the local area, provide jobs and helps put the area on the map so to speak and yet not even so much as a whiff of a flag. <snip>

I'm local and would disagree. I'm not a Royalist but I do appreciate the spin-offs with regard to interest in our County and related jobs which the Royal Family have brought us over the years.

If you are suggesting a lack of respect because of the absence of a few flags I would suggest you are totally wrong.

I watched the Royal Wedding today and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The fabulous background, the pomp, circumstance and the fashion. The uniforms, the dresses, the hats, the shoes, in fact everything about it.

Maybe the Queen Mother was looking down on it all, revelling in it all and reliving her public life and giving her blessing. I hope so.

By this time tonight I bet she would have been wishing she was back in Caithness. :D

There was a Union flag flying in Scarfskerry until 'the Kiss' then it was replaced with a smiley flag.:lol:

I think you captured the moment perfectly.

As I would do with any newly married couple I wish William and Kate all the very best.:)

bekisman
29-Apr-11, 22:51
No way am I a Royalist (Heaven forbid) but wish 'em the best, Hey ducati, guess what motorbike Will drives?
It's a pity that this lot let it down;
Police in Glasgow moved in to clear Kelvingrove Park after a "street party" to coincide with the royal wedding resulted in "completely unacceptable levels" of drunkenness.
Strathclyde Police said 21 people had been arrested. They said officers came under attack and one was taken to hospital..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13241657

Gizmo
29-Apr-11, 22:52

That's grounds for divorce :)

George Brims
29-Apr-11, 22:57
No way am I a Royalist (Heaven forbid) but wish 'em the best, Hey ducati, guess what motorbike Will drives?
It's a pity that this lot let it down;
Police in Glasgow moved in to clear Kelvingrove Park after a "street party" to coincide with the royal wedding resulted in "completely unacceptable levels" of drunkenness.
Strathclyde Police said 21 people had been arrested. They said officers came under attack and one was taken to hospital..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13241657

How do they gauge what level of drunkenness is "completely unacceptable" in Glasgow? If you ask me they would have been better leaving well alone. And maybe having the odd ambulance standing by.

George Brims
29-Apr-11, 23:02
Anyway I slept through the whole thing (8 hours behind the UK) but recorded the coverage on two different channels. The Mrs and the visitors from Inversnecky have watched it while I'm at work. Online coverage here leads me to ask if the Princess Beatrice knew she had that thing stuck on her head.

secrets in symmetry
30-Apr-11, 00:45
"It was amazing"

Evidently, that was the Queen's opinion, and I concur.

Dadie
30-Apr-11, 00:49
Looked like a very nerve wrecking day.
But Kate looked composed throughout.
Wonder what the "party" was like afterwards, as, thats when they can act as themselves and not have to worry about what others think!
Best of luck to them.
Now I need a man or 2 for friends so I can get a wedding or 2 to go to........

John Little
30-Apr-11, 09:53
The Queen of Hearts,
Invited some tarts,
all on a summer's day.

The Knave of hearts,
should have banned those tarts,
for vile tonsorial display.

I've heard of royal excesses,
but nothing exceeds their dresses!
A right pair of Royal frumps-
They picked up their outfits from t'dumps!

Oh Fergie take heed to your daughters
They look like they shouldn't oughter
So next wedding when Harry gets weddit
They'll do you a lot more credit.

Amy-Winehouse
30-Apr-11, 09:53
How do they gauge what level of drunkenness is "completely unacceptable" in Glasgow? If you ask me they would have been better leaving well alone. And maybe having the odd ambulance standing by.

On all accounts, leaving over 12,000+ drunken teens and 20 something's alone is a recipe for disaster as was proved yesterday. The trouble started around 5pm , when police on mountain bikes went into arrest they were showered with bottles. Reinforcements were called in with police on horses to quell trouble , by 7pm there were only 2000 left.
This is what happens when your city council says no to street parties. Unofficial Facebook parties spring up & absolute chaos ensues with some aplomb .

oldmarine
30-Apr-11, 19:11
I just could not get as excited about this marriage as I did the young prince's mother's marriage to his father. And that turned out to be a disaster.

Amy-Winehouse
01-May-11, 22:45
I wasnt as interested in Diana & Charles as I was in this wedding. Kate is better looking imo & William seems a bit more down to earth than his old man, jesting with Harry on the balcony showed that he likes a joke!!

RecQuery
03-May-11, 10:31
I've been trying to avoid this but basically:

Two useless people had a wedding, which you paid for. You weren't invited, though some of you watched and finally they expected you to run along and organise a street party in their honour. There's a good peasant and should you have questions we'll set our media attack dogs on you

It's not the money I really had a problem with or even the train wreck family themselves. What really annoys me about the whole affair was two things:

1. The orwellian and possibly illegal pre-wedding arrests of such subversive people as those who dressed as zombies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSfECc5tzA and of course the terrorist pensioners and their leader the anthropology professor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOli98fgBP0 this all took place far away from the main event. There are a lot more examples all with videos from multiple sources.

2. The sycophantic and masturbatory media who tried to make the thing more than it was and convince us the emperor had a new set of clothes.

I suppose the hypocrisy of rescinding the Syrian invitations yet inviting these people - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKn3hOxvCg - is slightly annoying also.

The entire thing is choreographed even apparent displays of spontaneity and joking.

Here's a 1 to 2 minute version of the whole thing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQb6jpPbCz0

EDIT: BTW there are videos of the Glasgow thing and the police instigating and starting stuff before that it was all good, peaceful and harmless.

pmcd
03-May-11, 11:05
Still chewing on a rusty nail, eh?

That'll be a "useless" Flt. Lt. Wales who spends a deal of his time on RAF Search and Rescue. Piloting a helicopter isn't something you can do because you're privileged. Plus he provides huge PR for any and many of the charities and organisations he is Patron of.

Last time I looked Kate was holding down a job. Now her work will change, but it will still be heavy going. The Firm demands lots of grafting, and doesn't believe in 9-5. Take Her Queen - at it all day, everyday.

Arresting zombies and eye-swivellers whose ONLY object is to screw up a national occasion enjoyed by millions is perfectly reasonable: including the Buckfast-swillers of Kelvingrove who misunderstood the word "party" for "ruinous brawl".

The "sycophantic and masturbatory media" were well in evidence: the BBC commentary team, with their usual Islington Socialism showing through like peroxided roots, had rictus grins on their faces as they were forced to report that the occasion was a huge success. Tears were clearly being shed behind the smiling masks as they were forced to report that the British people were actually enjoying this event: that they had turned out in vast crowds: that they were having a good time: and that this was one story that couldn't go through the Marx Machine.

You were right about the inconsistency with the invitations. It was a shame not to invite the murdering liar who forced this country into an illegal war, or his successor who sold the gold, sold out the pensioners, and sold the country down the river.

All in all, a pretty rounded assessment. You clearly have your finger on the pulse of the nation!

RecQuery
03-May-11, 11:39
Kind of, hereditary privilege and an anachronistic system tends to do that to people.

That'll be a "useless" Flt. Lt. Wales who spends a deal of his time on RAF Search and Rescue. Piloting a helicopter isn't something you can do because you're privileged. Plus he provides huge PR for any and many of the charities and organisations he is Patron of.

Last time I looked Kate was holding down a job. Now her work will change, but it will still be heavy going. The Firm demands lots of grafting, and doesn't believe in 9-5. Take Her Queen - at it all day, everyday.

Yes, yes of course I'm sure they were successful in their own right and it was what they knew and not who they knew and all that(!) I'm sure both of their Art History degrees of course prepared them for any career. Would that happen to be the same helicopter he routinely used to go on weekend junkets... sorry for the pause, was just waiting there for the obligatory "he's normal lad stuff." that follows any mention of him.

I don't know how ever they will manage with their new 24/7 'jobs'.

Arresting zombies and eye-swivellers whose ONLY object is to screw up a national occasion enjoyed by millions is perfectly reasonable: including the Buckfast-swillers of Kelvingrove who misunderstood the word "party" for "ruinous brawl".

The "sycophantic and masturbatory media" were well in evidence: the BBC commentary team, with their usual Islington Socialism showing through like peroxided roots, had rictus grins on their faces as they were forced to report that the occasion was a huge success. Tears were clearly being shed behind the smiling masks as they were forced to report that the British people were actually enjoying this event: that they had turned out in vast crowds: that they were having a good time: and that this was one story that couldn't go through the Marx Machine.

If they wanted a private event then have one, they made it a perfectly legitimate target for protest and I see nothing wrong with the protest. It was a damn sight less than the protests the government has praised in the past few months. It's the fact the police did what they did with no legal footing or even a charge - they released most of the people the next day - that I find most worrying.

That was kind of my point most polls show that only 30% of so actually but the media have been artificially inflating it.

You were right about the inconsistency with the invitations. It was a shame not to invite the murdering liar who forced this country into an illegal war, or his successor who sold the gold, sold out the pensioners, and sold the country down the river.

All in all, a pretty rounded assessment. You clearly have your finger on the pulse of the nation!

I don't like Blair or Brown either but they're clearly better than some of the people invited, that's besides the point anyway I was trying to point out the hypocrisy.

Walter Ego
03-May-11, 15:47
Kind of, hereditary privilege and an anachronistic system tends to do that to people.

Yes, yes of course I'm sure they were successful in their own right and it was what they knew and not who they knew and all that(!) I'm sure both of their Art History degrees of course prepared them for any career. Would that happen to be the same helicopter he routinely used to go on weekend junkets... sorry for the pause, was just waiting there for the obligatory "he's normal lad stuff." that follows any mention of him.

I don't know how ever they will manage with their new 24/7 'jobs'.

If they wanted a private event then have one, they made it a perfectly legitimate target for protest and I see nothing wrong with the protest. It was a damn sight less than the protests the government has praised in the past few months. It's the fact the police did what they did with no legal footing or even a charge - they released most of the people the next day - that I find most worrying.

That was kind of my point most polls show that only 30% of so actually but the media have been artificially inflating it.

I don't like Blair or Brown either but they're clearly better than some of the people invited, that's besides the point anyway I was trying to point out the hypocrisy.

Sorry, dozed off there.

What were you saying? Something about being a miserable arse?

Oooh, inverted snobbery is such a cruel mistress...

RecQuery
03-May-11, 16:01
Sorry, dozed off there.

What were you saying? Something about being a miserable arse?

Oooh, inverted snobbery is such a cruel mistress...

Cheers, thanks for the example. It's pretty much this attitude I was talking about; if you don't think the Royal-waste-of-money was the best thing since sliced bread, brought the country together etc then it's attack and ad hominem time while ignoring any questions of legitimate points, because obviously there has to be something wrong with you or you're jealousy because you don't like it.

ducati
03-May-11, 16:04
To be fair, he wants people with a useless degree from some crummy College in the erse end of nowhere to rule us, rather than someone with a useless degree from Oxbridge :lol:

RecQuery
03-May-11, 16:09
To be fair, he wants people with a useless degree from some crummy College in the erse end of nowhere to rule is, rather that someone with a useless degree from Oxbridge :lol:

The degree point was a dig at those traditional royalists who on average are usually the same people who complain about useless and filler degrees and funding students.

Walter Ego
03-May-11, 16:47
The degree point was a dig at those traditional royalists who on average are usually the same people who complain about useless and filler degrees and funding students.

Ah, you have a useless degree. I understand now.....

Walter Ego
03-May-11, 16:48
Cheers, thanks for the example. It's pretty much this attitude I was talking about; if you don't think the Royal-waste-of-money was the best thing since sliced bread, brought the country together etc then it's attack and ad hominem time while ignoring any questions of legitimate points, because obviously there has to be something wrong with you or you're jealousy because you don't like it.

Yup, summed it up nicely there.

Well done.

The Music Monster
03-May-11, 18:33
I'm sure both of their Art History degrees of course prepared them for any career.

I think you'll find that he graduated 2:1 in Geography - better check your sources :P! I don't think geography is a "filler degree" - what a stupid comment!

ducati
03-May-11, 18:38
I think you'll find that he graduated 2:1 in Geography - better check your sources :P! I don't think geography is a "filler degree" - what a stupid comment!

Ah' our resident Geographer :cool:

bekisman
03-May-11, 19:27
I've been trying to avoid this but basically:

Two useless people had a wedding, which you paid for. You weren't invited, though some of you watched and finally they expected you to run along and organise a street party in their honour. There's a good peasant and should you have questions we'll set our media attack dogs on you

It's not the money I really had a problem with or even the train wreck family themselves. What really annoys me about the whole affair was two things:

1. The orwellian and possibly illegal pre-wedding arrests of such subversive people as those who dressed as zombies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSfECc5tzA and of course the terrorist pensioners and their leader the anthropology professor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOli98fgBP0 this all took place far away from the main event. There are a lot more examples all with videos from multiple sources.

2. The sycophantic and masturbatory media who tried to make the thing more than it was and convince us the emperor had a new set of clothes.

I suppose the hypocrisy of rescinding the Syrian invitations yet inviting these people - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKn3hOxvCg - is slightly annoying also.

The entire thing is choreographed even apparent displays of spontaneity and joking.

Here's a 1 to 2 minute version of the whole thing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQb6jpPbCz0

EDIT: BTW there are videos of the Glasgow thing and the police instigating and starting stuff before that it was all good, peaceful and harmless.

Such a pity that there were 1,000,000 zombies and thickos lining the streets, and that 2,000,000,000 idiots watched around the world, but then you're special and a free thinker, not taken in by those morons...

bekisman
03-May-11, 19:30

Oh come on pmcd he admits in his profile he's "Just a geek" 'nough said?

pmcd
03-May-11, 19:40
I rather like our convoluted and ornate structure where some people are lucky enough to have things which not everybody can have. Money's just one of them - there is talent, application, luck, accident of birth, brains, stamina, personality, muscles, dedication, skill, craftsmanship, piety, rebelliousness - and long may it remain so!

What we shouldn't want to see is people being jealous because they haven't got what other people have.

What we shouldn't want to see is the "equality of misery", the search for the lowest common denominator, which most so-called "socialist" dogmas militate towards. If everybody has everything by "right", then everything has less value.

If you're an idle whinger don't expect the same "luck" as someone who takes average talent and huge amounts of application to Become Somebody - snooker champion, singer, chef, council workman, poet. It doesn't matter what you do: it's your character and reputation that count in the end.

Let's hear it for those who make it work for themselves, enjoy their successes, learn from their failures and don't feel the need to covet the next bloke's ass!

And for those at the bottom of the pile, be of good cheer - it'll soon be someone else's time for a spell in the doghouse!

Life's a dream, as long as you don't wear green coloured glasses.

Oh - university - in the old days 4% of the population went to university, and went on to become the people who did really big stuff. Feeders were Public Schools and Grammar Schools (clue)

Then we decided that kids who couldn't make it to public/grammar schools were "failures" (funny they don't do that in Europe, much).

So we invented comprehensives. They REALLY worked.

And then Blair came along and said 50% of people should go to university.

Pity that - no infrastructure, so they promoted Polyfilla Colleges in short order, and instigated courses in David Beckham, Golf Course Management, and Meeja Studies. And it became fashionable to hate Oxford and Cambridge, because they set impossibly high entry standards, and because they stood for everything the left-wing Educrats couldn't stand.

And it came to pass that employers laughed at "graduates" who couldn't read, write, spell, or count, because they had been previously educated by the sheep-like and dogmatic Marxist Teacher Training Collages. This at about the same time that parenting meant throwing an undignified four-letter rant in front of the kid's teacher.

And of course the whole point of university was lost - to provide three years of splendid hard working and playing fun before taking up a career. It now was supposed to be a "qualification". Except the currency was now totally devalued.

So please leave Kate and William alone: they WILL make a huge contribution in their lifetime - and the wedding was a bloody marvellous start! And History of Art, Geography, Engineering or even English are rather life-enhancing and beneficial courses.

The Music Monster
03-May-11, 19:58
Ah' our resident Geographer :cool:

Haha, hardly :Razz!!! I did teach geography in a school for a very short time - it was a bit like the blind leading the blind!!! I haven't looked at a geography book since!

Walter Ego
03-May-11, 20:28
I rather like our convoluted and ornate structure where some people are lucky enough to have things which not everybody can have. Money's just one of them - there is talent, application, luck, accident of birth, brains, stamina, personality, muscles, dedication, skill, craftsmanship, piety, rebelliousness - and long may it remain so!

What we shouldn't want to see is people being jealous because they haven't got what other people have.

What we shouldn't want to see is the "equality of misery", the search for the lowest common denominator, which most so-called "socialist" dogmas militate towards. If everybody has everything by "right", then everything has less value.

If you're an idle whinger don't expect the same "luck" as someone who takes average talent and huge amounts of application to Become Somebody - snooker champion, singer, chef, council workman, poet. It doesn't matter what you do: it's your character and reputation that count in the end.

Let's hear it for those who make it work for themselves, enjoy their successes, learn from their failures and don't feel the need to covet the next bloke's ass!

And for those at the bottom of the pile, be of good cheer - it'll soon be someone else's time for a spell in the doghouse!

Oh - university - in the old days 4% of the population went to university, and went on to become the people who did really big stuff. Feeders were Public Schools and Grammar Schools (clue)

Then we decided that kids who couldn't make it to public/grammar schools were "failures" (funny they don't do that in Europe, much).

Pity that - no infrastructure, so they promoted Polyfilla Colleges in short order, and instigated courses in David Beckham, Golf Course Management, and Meeja Studies. And it became fashionable to hate Oxford and Cambridge, because they set impossibly high entry standards, and because they stood for everything the left-wing Educrats couldn't stand.

And it came to pass that employers laughed at "graduates" who couldn't read, write, spell, or count, because they had been previously educated by the sheep-like and dogmatic Marxist Teacher Training Collages. This at about the same time that parenting meant throwing an undignified four-letter rant in front of the kid's teacher.

And of course the whole point of university was lost - to provide three years of splendid hard working and playing fun before taking up a career. It now was supposed to be a "qualification". Except the currency was now totally devalued.

So please leave Kate and William alone: they WILL make a huge contribution in their lifetime - and the wedding was a bloody marvellous start! And History of Art, Geography, Engineering or even English are rather life-enhancing and beneficial courses.

Thanks for that.

Saves me typing it:Razz

ducati
03-May-11, 20:30
Haha, hardly :Razz!!! I did teach geography in a school for a very short time - it was a bit like the blind leading the blind!!! I haven't looked at a geography book since!

I always enjoyed Geography at school, although we seemed to spend a dispraportionate amount of time on Guatamalan rainfall for some reason.:confused

RecQuery
03-May-11, 21:38
Oh come on pmcd he admits in his profile he's "Just a geek" 'nough said?

That word doesn't mean what you think it means, the geek community uses it in much the same way other communities use former insults.

Such a pity that there were 1,000,000 zombies and thickos lining the streets, and that 2,000,000,000 idiots watched around the world, but then you're special and a free thinker, not taken in by those morons...

Popular doesn't equal good, it's not a measure of quality. That said that's not what I have a problem with it's the fact your tarred and feathered by some if you have objections or questions and the expectation that I should like it, that it should some how have some influence on my life.

Your system sounds good in theory but in actuality how hard you work, how much you knew etc only accounts for 10%-20% of success if that, I wish it counted for more but it doesn't it's all about who you know, who your friends are and who your family are, there are the odd success stories outside of that but they're in the minority. Just to provide some context and ensure that you don't think I've got a 3rd in David Beckam studies or something, I worked for a few years before going to university and continued to work while there, I have a first class honours (only one in that year) in a technical/engineering/science subject and I've got a few national awards and prizes so I think I do put in some effort and will continue to do so, also I think I have political opinions across the board, I'm extreme right on some things, extreme left on others with the vast majority being somewhere in the middle.

I agree that the education system is messed up and that far too many people go to university and make it harder for others who should actually be there by removing available funding and raising rent prices to unbelievable levels etc. My degree went from about 60 people in 1st year to about 12 in 4th year with 8 graduating. I disagree with the Oxford and Cambridge stuff, having competed with people from there first hand but that's an entirely different debate.

All that aside I'm sure they're both nice people and as I said at the start, my main objection is that people think I should fawn over them but when I don't they get personally upset and think there's something wrong with me.

bekisman
03-May-11, 21:43
"accross the bored" what the hell does that mean?

Corrie 3
03-May-11, 21:48
I think it means across the people who are Bored with this thread!!!

C3....:roll:;)

RecQuery
03-May-11, 21:57

Heh my apologies for free writing my reply though I trust the meaning is obvious... I don't correct people or act like a dick even though I've had several opportunities to do so.