PDA

View Full Version : PowerPoint ideas

TheGregp81
28-Apr-11, 11:56
I have been set a task for English, to create a PowerPoint on a chosen subject, I have chosen 'The Internet'. I have various ideas on what to include, such as how 'The Internet has affected most of the wester worlds politics and stock exchanges. I would start by describing the basic concept of 'The Internet' how it works etc. Then move onto the various topics, i was thinking of including WikiLeaks how it has exposed various governments and brought out their weaknesses and crimes. Also how various sites such as Amazon, Google, and Facebook have influenced the stock exchange as we know it. Thats just a brief overview of my ideas, please comment if you i anything to add, help will be much appreciated!

EDDIE
28-Apr-11, 19:48
Well the internet has had a major influence on people shopping habits no longer does people need to shop locally to find a bargain they can google and look at the impact thats had local shops through out the world.
Internet has allowed people to send email anywhere in the world in a couple of sec compared to sending a letter taking days look at the benifit of that.
I think the biggest thing the internet has done its made it possible and easy for anyone to communicate and interact with there friends and made it possible for people to create great website that link people up to there friends and family like facebook .

NickInTheNorth
28-Apr-11, 20:01
Be sure to differentiate between "The Internet" which is quite simply the actual network, and the various services and protocols which run across the Internet.

TheGregp81
28-Apr-11, 20:06
Thanks for the advice, will come in handy :)

John Little
28-Apr-11, 20:41
If you google 'uses of the Internet' powerpoint, you get loads of stuff.
eg

http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/Lawalakoredeahmed-201960-internet-lawal-akorede-ahmed-computer-science-education-ppt-powerpoint/

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 00:43
I suggest you don't turn up to your presentation - give it by VC and make your point in a way you never could in person.

rogermellie
29-Apr-11, 00:53
i use amazon/play/wotever to look for and buy products, when i come onto the org later on, the banner adverts are specific to me, the individual (presumably through cookies), for example - i was looking for a kids swing on ebay and dobbies, the next day on the org, the banner advert was advertising kids swings .... or am i just being paranoid ?! ... to me this seems like a pretty powerful tool.

the issue of 'private' information is a pretty interesting topic in regards to facebook (employees being fired for 'privately' slagging off their employers)... is that an infringement of freedom of speech ? lots of documented occurrences of this happening (some are very funny and could work well to engage and give your audience a laugh) it might also have some of the audience running to their laptops to amend their facebook profiles.

TheGregp81
29-Apr-11, 08:13
I suggest you don't turn up to your presentation - give it by VC and make your point in a way you never could in person.

Thanks, that gives me lots of confidence...So your implying i skip school?

Thanks a lot people that actually contributed, i didn't think of the simple things, i was going for politics and stuff. That shows the simple thing do count :D

Leanne
29-Apr-11, 09:35

Thanks a lot people that actually contributed, i didn't think of the simple things, i was going for politics and stuff. That shows the simple thing do count :D

I actually think that is a REALLY good idea! Could you not simulate it? Maybe use skype rather than true VC and just to it from an adjacent room to give your introduction? Then suddenly appear to a round of applause. It would certainly be unique and entertaining and would get your point across VERY well.

Personally the topic I would choose is the use of the internet in independent learning in schools and the challenges they need to overcome. I would include - misinformation and the challenges in validating articles - wiki, improved access to information and finally - coursework and plagiarism. I think this would be a topic that would be at the heart of the teachers and could get you bonus points ;)

guitarzan
29-Apr-11, 09:37

I think what Secrets in Symmetry is trying to say is that you should use video conferencing over "The Internet" to give your presentation as it will give further weight to your point, rather than going in and doing it in person.

Duncansby
29-Apr-11, 13:13
What about the impact it's had on the media? Live streaming of events, instant access to news from around the world, impact on relief efforts to disaster hit countries, the public is much more aware of global events than they were only a few decades ago

Bobinovich
29-Apr-11, 13:25
Don't forget to mention the impact which broadband has made - if we were all still on dial-up the Internet would be a significantly different beast!

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 14:47

Thanks a lot people that actually contributed, i didn't think of the simple things, i was going for politics and stuff. That shows the simple thing do count :DMy suggestion was serious, as others have explained. I particularly liked the suggestion of presenting it from the room next door using Skype (or VC software), before making a cameo appearance in person at the end.

You might also mention how many of today's population meet and mate on the Internet.

TheGregp81
29-Apr-11, 16:02
Oh i understand, sorry :P Thats a good idea, thing is Wick High Schools network well its erm meh. Also thanks a lot people for the response! Very helpful of you, another idea, should i say who contributed in the presentation or keep it as my little secret? ;) i will post the finished presentation online so you can have a look for yourselves!

redeyedtreefrog
01-May-11, 00:59
The actual slide things are important, yeah, but focus more on what you're actually going to say, that's where a lot of people go wrong. Also re the Skype thing, that would never work, the school doesn't even have Skype installed and the whole thing would just be a bit pointless in the context. Don't fill your slides with words, use them as a visual aid to the points you're making verbally, put on graphs and images. Keep in mind it's an English talk and it's what you say and your delivery that's graded, not how pretty your slides look.

robglysen
01-May-11, 19:39
You could talk about the recent cyber attacks on massive internet properties like amazon and then psn network. Quite dramatic and a little worrying.

RecQuery
01-May-11, 20:34
I have been set a task for English, to create a PowerPoint on a chosen subject, I have chosen 'The Internet'. I have various ideas on what to include, such as how 'The Internet has affected most of the wester worlds politics and stock exchanges. I would start by describing the basic concept of 'The Internet' how it works etc. Then move onto the various topics, i was thinking of including WikiLeaks how it has exposed various governments and brought out their weaknesses and crimes. Also how various sites such as Amazon, Google, and Facebook have influenced the stock exchange as we know it. Thats just a brief overview of my ideas, please comment if you i anything to add, help will be much appreciated!

A slide on the history of the Internet maybe touching on BBSes, maybe combine it with the how it works stuff. I'd probably do a bit on how it's harder to suppress and manipulate information now because of the Internet, how the Internet is now a content delivery system for many things (music, books, TV) possibly touching on net neutrality, the digital economy bill etc basically a bit on how governments are now trying to censor the Internet. You could also mention people who have been arrested on throw away comments posted online (Twitter, forums etc).

Also it's important to realise that the Internet has been around since the 80s for universities and research instituations and that the general public only really got access in the early to mid 90s. (I got online at age 11 in 1995). So it has taken a while to get to what it is, it didn't just happen overnight

I've always found it helpful to stick to the 3 eights principle: No more that 8 content slides (extra ones allowable for title, images, questions etc). No more than 8 points per slide and if possible no more than 8 words per point. Basically rather than bombarding people with slides or reading them verbatim use them as pointers.

The Wick High School network can't possibly be as bad as when I was there when we had two ISDN lines and the school librarian was the sysadmin though every man and his dog knew the admin passwords anyway.