PDA

View Full Version : Support Needed For Asda

chamb
08-Sep-06, 15:26
As you may have seen in the Local rag, Caithness Courier and John O Groat Journal, there is going to be an AGM For the Pentland Housing Association.

Wich is going to nclude Barney from Adsa, he will be there to give a speach and then have question from the audiancce.

I am hoping that we as a community are not all talk and that we will go along and show our councillors what we as the Thurso Community want and not make do with what our councillors think we do or not want.

On the grape vine i have heard that this meeting will be the dessicion maker for the Asda Project, to see what support is given, by the town.

I hope this is going to persuade them WE NEED ASDA

The Meeting is at 7.30pm, in the Pentland Hotel on Tuesday 19th September

Please come and show your support, its for the best interest of the town, when Tesco in wick open you know where you will all go, wouldnt you prefer not to travel.

WEEEEEEEE NEEEEEEED ASSSSSSDDDDDAAAA

Phoebus_Apollo
08-Sep-06, 20:34
Iain Ewarts got my support letter...but he never even bothered to reply.

squareman
08-Sep-06, 20:44
Caithness needs an ASDA now, this is the opportunity to show support for ASDA by attending the meeting on Tue 19th September.
It might prove to be interesting if the local councillors turn up ! :lol:

hunter
10-Sep-06, 00:13
The reason there is a planning system is so that local communities can control what is built and where. I haven't spoken to anyone who is opposed to ASDA coming to Thurso - councillors included - but I've spoken to plenty who think there are better sites than the one they chose. Should supermarkets be allowed to build wherever they like, or should they build where the community wants them to build? If they had applied for planning permission to demolish the Dunbar and build a supermarket on top, would people be screaming in support. No, of course not. They've already got a back-up site in mind but, of course, they dont want to go for that because they think they'll cream less money from Caithness by going to mart site. I cant believe people in Caithness are so desperate for a supermarket that they would be willing to let them build it wherever they wanted, and not where we wanted.

maverick
10-Sep-06, 00:25
In some ways i think it is absolutely nescessary to have an Asda in Caithness, just to ensure that Tesco's keep giving us value for money. Then other time i have to ask is the county big enough for both?

Piglet
10-Sep-06, 00:59
I don't think many people care which site Asda has as long as they are here. Its about time we had a desent supermarket up here for cometition rather than traveling to inverness.(or Elgin if its Asda u want):)

bigpete
10-Sep-06, 09:37
I wonder how many people on these forums actually wtote to the planning officer in support of ASDA? (I did) Be interesting to see the names on the minutes when it's all over..

bigpete
10-Sep-06, 15:02
Five hours ago I put the posting above - isn't there anyone out there putting pen to paper (or emailing)!? If the 2,900 signatures on the petition think it's 2,900 individual letters to the Planning officer, they are wrong - see below - taken from the caithness.org site.. Come on you lot 'aint you interested, I'm surprised by the amount of postings there's been on the subject over the last months!..

Whilst signatures on a petition on the web may be interesting they carry absolutely no weight at planning meetings. Indeed the councillors in Inverness maybe completely unaware of such a petition and even if presented with a copy it may carry little or no weight as it is not evidenced as to who signed or where they come from. What counts are letters and emails to the planning department. If anyone really wants to make their views known about the ASDA position they need to be in touch with the officials before councillor Alistair MacDonald's Notice of Review is heard in Inverness later this month. Letters can be sent to John Rennilson Head of Planning, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX or locally to the planning office in Wick. The Notice of Review (http://www.caithness.org/fpb/asda/index.htm) was not taken at the meeting scheduled in view of the intervention of the Coop on the Tesco planning application in Wick where similar background information from a Retail Impact Assessment was used and which the Coop are now challenging. Meantime Tesco intends to be open before Christmas.

Tristan
10-Sep-06, 15:34
Does any one have the email address?

molly
10-Sep-06, 16:16
planning.caithness@highland.gov.uk (this is for Iain Ewart)

Development Control
Erection of Class 1 Retail Foodstore, Petrol Filling Station, Associated Car Parking, Landscaping, Access Road and Roundabout; Servicing; Playing Field Provision and Associated Community Facilities and Car Parking in Outline at Pennyland Farm, Thurso, Caithness (06/00038/OUTCA)

And address the letters to
Mr Iain Ewart
Caithness Planning and Building Standards Manager
The Highland Council
Market Street
Wick
Please send your letter or email or better still go along to The Meeting is at 7.30pm, in the Pentland Hotel on Tuesday 19th September

All Welcome

teritoots
10-Sep-06, 20:28
Well thats me emailed. writing a letter seems a bit of a hassle (sorry but gotta get paper, envelope, stamp!) but emailing was easily done.

kwbrown111
10-Sep-06, 20:54
tried john.greaves@highland.gov.uk. but it came back undeliverable

Bob M
10-Sep-06, 21:19
As you may have seen in the Local rag, Caithness Courier and John O Groat Journal, there is going to be an AGM For the Pentland Housing Association.

Wich is going to nclude Barney from Adsa, he will be there to give a speach and then have question from the audiancce.

I am hoping that we as a community are not all talk and that we will go along and show our councillors what we as the Thurso Community want and not make do with what our councillors think we do or not want.

On the grape vine i have heard that this meeting will be the dessicion maker for the Asda Project, to see what support is given, by the town.

I hope this is going to persuade them WE NEED ASDA

The Meeting is at 7.30pm, in the Pentland Hotel on Tuesday 19th September

Please come and show your support, its for the best interest of the town, when Tesco in wick open you know where you will all go, wouldnt you prefer not to travel.

WEEEEEEEE NEEEEEEED ASSSSSSDDDDDAAAA

Please note this is not primarily an ASDA support meeting as inferred above but is the AGM of the Pentland Housing Association. The business of the evening is that of PHA. The above named gentleman is the guest speaker for the evening, once again the rumour mill is in operation and wrong as usual!
Write to the Highland Regional Council or E-mail the with your support for ASDA as I have done

YES we need ASDA!

jaykay
11-Sep-06, 12:49
I have just posted my letter of support for Asda.

2051donna
11-Sep-06, 13:05
thats my email sent also

topotheuk
11-Sep-06, 14:07
my email just sent too.

Humerous Vegetable
14-Sep-06, 16:17
Have also sent an email. Asda fuel prices reported in today's P&J at 87.9p nationally. Tesco have matched it in some places and are also doing 5p/L off for customers spending over £50.
Why do we think it's a major price-cut when local garages drop the price to 97.9p??????

concerned resident
14-Sep-06, 21:29
E-mailed my support for Asda to Ian Ewart, never had any confirmation that it had been recieved and logged, as usual a very poor service from Highland Council, could quite easy be misused. The e-mail never bounced back so some body has it.

badcall
16-Sep-06, 15:16
Please note this is not primarily an ASDA support meeting as inferred above but is the AGM of the Pentland Housing Association. The business of the evening is that of PHA. The above named gentleman is the guest speaker for the evening, once again the rumour mill is in operation and wrong as usual!
Write to the Highland Regional Council or E-mail the with your support for ASDA as I have done

YES we need ASDA!
Barney is supposed to be telling us of the many benefits ASDA will bring to Thurso - as if anyone needed telling - but it is to be hoped the speech isnt going to be as full of garbage as their written submission to the Planning Committee was. I wonder will he be asked why they dont like the land at the Business Park or the Mart and whether he will give a truthful answer - it could be an interesting meeting.