PDA

View Full Version : Glad the warning...............

DanaFlett
26-Apr-11, 22:53
My dogs have been causing sheep worry,am glad the farmer came and told me,grateful for that.
We have an acre of land in the Dunnet area and my jack russel's just wont answer atall they make bee line for the surrounding fields all of which have sheep.
My husband will be home tomorrow so we will have to the put a pen run in for them,which we should'a done before now.....:~(

demac-artist
26-Apr-11, 23:30
It is good that the farmer warned you first before any issues kicked off as you might say.

It maybe good to retrain the recall, long lead let it go fully length and then recall him with his favourite toy and then give a treat practice and his recall should improve and also see if the farmer can help you with getting the dog used to sheep so he doesn't chase them but is good with them, they do that with their own dogs, as far as the farmer is concerned anything so stop his stock from getting hurt and damaged is good.

Good luck
De

donnick
27-Apr-11, 15:16
Danna i have seen ur dogs run about and on the road with cars about, you should just get hubby to put up the sheep netting around the garden and shut the gate that will keep them in as i have to jack russles maself and it keeps ma two in and they are smaller than urs .Glad to hear the farmer has warned you instead of just shooting them .Good luck

Blondie
27-Apr-11, 15:45
Surely just common sense to shut the gate before letting the dogs out?

donnick
27-Apr-11, 16:05
Blondie they get out threw the fence as well .

Blondie
28-Apr-11, 08:05
Well if you know the dogs are on the road then why doesn't the owner is what I would like to know? If I didn't have a secure garden then my dog wouldn't be out. Simple as.

porshiepoo
29-Apr-11, 07:15
Terriers can be terrible for escaping. Our old Yorkie was a little sod - we built 6ft panel fencing and he would still manage to find a way of scaling it - a bloomin Yorkie:eek:.
Having him castrated did the job though.

Are yours castrated? Does make a difference to wandering.

The farmers here seem to be very nice on the whole. Our GSDs used to be sods for getting out into the sheep field. They'd never worry them just run through the fields. Luckily our farmer is very understanding and would let us know, I'm just glad it never came to the point where he felt the need to shoot them, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
They'd get out despite every endeavor to keep them in.

Now though with training they don't do it anymore. It's taken a while but we've got there.

As for fencing for your terriers, get the best of what you can afford but you only want to do the job once so do it properly. We spent years rectifying kennels. In the end they went from lovely kennels with huge paddocks to one lovely kennel and iron bars to the sides and on top of the run - all that inside the original set up. Looked like wormwood scrubs when we'd done.

Terriers will dig to get out too so dig down some and make sure whatever you use goes down there. Don't use chicken wire as it will shred their feet if they go manic at it and personally I wouldn't use netting as it can tear and the dogs can chew it.
Best bet (but expensive) is weldmesh. It's solid with small holes so no escaping. You can keep costs down by not making it too tall (terriers won't mind) but mesh the top as well (or you could use the netting there as they can't get at it).
Above all you need the peace of mind that they are safe and secure, there's nothing worse than coming home to find they've escaped - again.

Leanne
29-Apr-11, 09:39
Really good of the farmer :)

We're building a run for our dogs so we can leave them out during the day when the weather is nice. We found this site which seems quite good http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Dog-Wire-Fence-c-99.html