PDA

View Full Version : Question

alanabain
26-Apr-11, 22:20
Why are there so many private reg plates around with the reg starting ASK around Caithness. What does it mean?

Just curious

davem
26-Apr-11, 22:27
As far as I know SK was the old registration for Caithness, that's why they are popular.

golach
26-Apr-11, 22:32
SK was the Caithness registration when I was a lad

alanabain
26-Apr-11, 22:33
As an example the reg is something like this ASK 20 and that is it. Not the likes the general number plates that there is. There quite a few in Thurso and it doesn't make sense.

I was just giving an example with the number 20 I havnt actually seen a car with that number.

Kevin Milkins
26-Apr-11, 22:39
Why are there so many private reg plates around with the reg starting ASK around Caithness. What does it mean?

Just curious

I thought that as well, but I didn't like to ask.;)

joxville
26-Apr-11, 22:43
Trolleys don't have reg numbers, if they did it would be a lot easier to find your lost pound coins. ;)

chrisupyonder
27-Apr-11, 04:05

Just curious

Were they all white vans? with trollies in the back from Portgower?

theone
27-Apr-11, 08:19
As an example the reg is something like this ASK 20 and that is it. Not the likes the general number plates that there is. There quite a few in Thurso and it doesn't make sense.

In the beginning..........

The first Caithness car was SK1, then SK2 etc etc.

Later on they added a letter to the beginning. ASK1, ASK2 etc, eventually it became BSK and so on. I'm not sure if they ever moved on to CSK.

It wasnt until the 60's that there had to be a letter at the end, ASK 1A for example.

The number plates beginning SK or ASK are just old caithness numbers from the 30's 40's and 50's transferred onto new cars.

In many cases the numbers have been in the same family for years, but I do remember a story where a local car dealership owner offered a brand new car in exchange for an old SK plate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_number_plates

ducati
27-Apr-11, 08:37
Just to add if you have a transferable ASK plate sitting in the shed on a rusty Raleigh Runabout, don't get too excited, the Runabouts probably worth more :lol:

northener
27-Apr-11, 09:36
They certainly went as far as LSK.

I know this because a friend of mines' father bought a Merc many years ago with this plate on. He kept the plate and the sons started buying LSK plates for their motors too.

It was quite comical when my friends brother came up here on a tour round (they live in Southern Englandshire), you could watch the locals rubbernecking to see who the 'local' Bentley owner was......[lol]

bekisman
27-Apr-11, 10:56
Don't expect it counts but ours is a CSK (after the prefix letter and number) - we had a Volvo that did us proud; Volvo 745SE did us 325,796 miles before we flogged it and it was still going two years later!

So as a sign of respect we continue to transfer the plate..

Droopy
27-Apr-11, 16:58

Later on they added a letter to the beginning. ASK1, ASK2 etc, eventually it became BSK and so on. I'm not sure if they ever moved on to CSK.

It wasnt until the 60's that there had to be a letter at the end, ASK 1A for example.

The number plates beginning SK or ASK are just old caithness numbers from the 30's 40's and 50's transferred onto new cars.

In many cases the numbers have been in the same family for years, but I do remember a story where a local car dealership owner offered a brand new car in exchange for an old SK plate.

Mmmmm, nearly right ;)

Only SK1 - SK 9999 & ASK 1 - ASK 999 are origonal plates, all others ie BSK, DSK,FSK LSK etc without a prefix or suffix letter have been churned out by DVLA to raise money for the government, and are subject to VAT. SK and ASK plates are worth far more and are not VAT-able.

l think lm also right in saying that all ASK plates were from August 63 - August 64.

theone
27-Apr-11, 17:46
l think lm also right in saying that all ASK plates were from August 63 - August 64.

Mmmmm, nearly right ;) ;)

The "A" reg was indeed for 63-64. However the "A" was the last letter on the plate, not the first, ie XXX 111A. If you're looking for an ASK plate without a letter at the end, it will be pre 1963.

Kevin Milkins
27-Apr-11, 18:31
Mmmmm, nearly right ;) ;)

The "A" reg was indeed for 63-64. However the "A" was the last letter on the plate, not the first, ie XXX 111A. If you're looking for an ASK plate without a letter at the end, it will be pre 1963.

If my memory serves me right, Essex started the prefix of A reg in 1963 then it became country wide in 1964 with prefix B reg.

theone
27-Apr-11, 20:43
If my memory serves me right, Essex started the prefix of A reg in 1963 then it became country wide in 1964 with prefix B reg.

I don't know about that, maybe it did start in Essex, but in 1963 the suffix, not prefix, system was introduced. All plates ENDED with a A, in 64 a B etc etc, the first letter was unrelated to age. The prefix system didn't arrive until the 80's.

Walter Ego
27-Apr-11, 20:52
Mmmmm, nearly right ;)

Only SK1 - SK 9999 & ASK 1 - ASK 999 are origonal plates, all others ie BSK, DSK,FSK LSK etc without a prefix or suffix letter have been churned out by DVLA to raise money for the government, and are subject to VAT. SK and ASK plates are worth far more and are not VAT-able.

What's your source for this info, Droopy? It doesn't sound completely right to me.

Andrew
27-Apr-11, 21:21
The BSK, CSK, ESK etc etc numbers were never issued as the sequence. I think after the ASK numbers the next number was ASK 101C.

These were issued afterwards, you see a lot of buses etc with these as they are 'dateless' numbers i.e. you cannot tell the age of vehicle from them

Kevin Milkins
27-Apr-11, 22:37
I don't know about that, maybe it did start in Essex, but in 1963 the suffix, not prefix, system was introduced. All plates ENDED with a A, in 64 a B etc etc, the first letter was unrelated to age. The prefix system didn't arrive until the 80's.

Your right,

Suffix, Prefix, I never do know if I'm coming or going nowadays.lol, however, I do seem to remember 1963 bettter than 1983.

saba
27-Apr-11, 22:53
If my memory serves me right, the original ASK 1 was owned by a lady in Wick. Alex Grant (ex Norfrost) offered to exchange it for a brand new car when he owned a garage in Thurso. He definately got the better deal........!

buddyrich
27-Apr-11, 23:39
I have a 1965 car (C reg) that's ASK. Had a lot of people asking about the number, which will be staying on that car.

Droopy
28-Apr-11, 00:04
What's your source for this info, Droopy? It doesn't sound completely right to me.

Hi Walter

What bit doesnt sound right? l'll try to elaborate if you tell me which bit.

theone
28-Apr-11, 06:21
The BSK, CSK, ESK etc etc numbers were never issued as the sequence. I think after the ASK numbers the next number was ASK 101C.

These were issued afterwards, you see a lot of buses etc with these as they are 'dateless' numbers i.e. you cannot tell the age of vehicle from them

ASK101C is definately a one year only, 1965 plate.

I have no idea if/why Caithness wouldn't have had adopted the A and B suffix plates like the rest of the country. Does anybody have an aold A/B reg Caithness plate?

Droopy
28-Apr-11, 07:55
ASK101C is definately a one year only, 1965 plate.

I have no idea if/why Caithness wouldn't have had adopted the A and B suffix plates like the rest of the country. Does anybody have an aold A/B reg Caithness plate?

Would they have been using up ASK to 999 ?
Im fairly certian that in 1964 all new cars etc in Caithness were ASK without a suffix letter. Car registration was more locally controlled then too. You went down to what is now the service point in Wick and you were issued whatever number was next, or if a number that meant something to you wasnt far off and you asked nicely, they would issue it to you. i.e some people would like ASK 555 rather than ASK 549 but to some it didnt matter.

But like l said earlier, anything apart from SK and ASK plates with numbers after the letters only, isnt a 'proper' Caithness plate. For instance SK 76 would have been issued early 1900's, ASK 76 would have been issued circa 1964 whereas 76 SK and 76 ASK , and all FSK, WSK, BSK, LSK etc etc have all been chunred out by the DVLA to raise money for the Government since the mid 80s when they realised thier was money to be had.

theone
28-Apr-11, 08:15
Would they have been using up ASK to 999 ?
Im fairly certian that in 1964 all new cars etc in Caithness were ASK without a suffix letter.

That's maybe the reason. Sounds plausible enough. So there's no old "A" suffix caithness plates, you learn something new everyday!

You went down to what is now the service point in Wick and you were issued whatever number was next, or if a number that meant something to you wasnt far off and you asked nicely, they would issue it to you. i.e some people would like ASK 555 rather than ASK 549 but to some it didnt matter.

That still happens, albeit to a lesser extent, when buying new from dealerships. When I bought my last car the dealer showed me a list of about 20 numbers his garage had been issued, and I could take my pick.

Torvaig
28-Apr-11, 09:09
If my memory serves me right, the original ASK 1 was owned by a lady in Wick. Alex Grant (ex Norfrost) offered to exchange it for a brand new car when he owned a garage in Thurso. He definately got the better deal........!

A good person to "ask" re the changeover would be William Mowatt, Wick as I am sure that ASK1 was booked initially in the 1960's at Mowatts Garage by a gentleman with those initials and possibly was a Hillman Imp but would not stake my life on that!

Droopy
28-Apr-11, 09:25
A good person to "ask" re the changeover would be William Mowatt, Wick as I am sure that ASK1 was booked initially in the 1960's at Mowatts Garage by a gentleman with those initials and possibly was a Hillman Imp but would not stake my life on that!

ASK 1, was at first registration, on a car owned by the Sutherland family, successful business people and car enthusiasts of thier day.

Walter Ego
28-Apr-11, 09:33
Hi Walter

What bit doesnt sound right? l'll try to elaborate if you tell me which bit.

You've already answered it:Razz

I didn't realise that the DVLA were issuing numbers for sale as far back as the 80's. The reason I queried it was that I'm sure I saw various KSK/DSK/whatever plates many moons ago around the county. You've just explained why.

Beat Bug
28-Apr-11, 10:31

I've been informed that ASK was originally used for farm vehicles, so farmers with old unused tractors had the numbers transferred to their cars.

We have a GSK plate on our MGTF. It was on an MG Midget we bought down south, and it's been on several cars since then.

The DVLA issue previously unissued numbers to classic cars imported from abroad. And also to classic cars where a previous owner sold the original number.

Beat Bug
28-Apr-11, 10:34
Just to add if you have a transferable ASK plate sitting in the shed on a rusty Raleigh Runabout, don't get too excited, the Runabouts probably worth more :lol:

It would also need to have an MOT before the number could be transferred

bekisman
28-Apr-11, 10:38
I've been informed that ASK was originally used for farm vehicles, so farmers with old unused tractors had the numbers transferred to their cars.

We have a GSK plate on our MGTF. It was on an MG Midget we bought down south, and it's been on several cars since then.

The DVLA issue previously unissued numbers to classic cars imported from abroad. And also to classic cars where a previous owner sold the original number.

I was under the impression* that plates from agriculture vehicle cannot be transferred to cars, seems I'm wrong?

Only MOT testable vehicles can undertake in the transfer scheme, i.e. not tractors or agricultural vehicles
Hmm worth a bit
ASK 1 (Price on application)
ASK 3Y: roundabout £20,000
ASK 84: £10,800

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp

Errogie
30-Apr-11, 22:52
I sometimes wonder what happened to the Ford Anglia which I used to see lying on Dale farm in the 60's which had the registration ASK 412.
Must be worth a small fortune now!

northener
01-May-11, 10:36
Some interesting info here. I never realised that many of the '-SK' plates were not issued specifically for Caithness.

secrets in symmetry
14-May-11, 19:41
I was driving behind A9 XSK on the road today. Would that have been an original "date" plate, or is it a timeless one made up for the owner?

bekisman
14-May-11, 22:07
You could pick up S9 XSK for £189 if you're interested?

secrets in symmetry
14-May-11, 22:31
Thanks for the heads up bekisman. I'm not looking for an SK plate, and I wouldn't normally have second thoughts about it - I only asked because of the A9 being the road to Caithness, but thanks anyway.

Scunner
15-May-11, 11:43
The first model of the Vauxhall Viva was launched in Thurso in 1963 and the number plate was ASK 41. The number is still being used but not in Caithness

theone
18-May-11, 17:44
I was driving behind A9 XSK on the road today. Would that have been an original "date" plate, or is it a timeless one made up for the owner?

Thats a private plate, made up at the owners request.

sids
31-May-11, 11:59
Coincidentally, the SK series of numbers reached SK9999 around 1963. The next plate issued was ASK1. Caithness and many other areas did not use the A suffix (ending) in 1963.

In 1964, Caithness started issuing numbers with the B suffix, as did more or less all counties. So they issued ASK1B.

Because the series with three letters and a number up to 999 didn't go very high (did it even reach ASK999 and then BSK1?), there were lots of unused *SK *** unused numbers available for "age related plates." DVLA Swansea started issuing age related plates around the early eighties. Many of the recipients were owners of old untaxed vehicles who had failed to re-register to get their vehicle onto the then new DVLA computer. I got one for an old motorbike in 1986.

Torvaig
31-May-11, 12:32
ASK 1, was at first registration, on a car owned by the Sutherland family, successful business people and car enthusiasts of thier day.

Thanks for that; wouldn't be a Hillman Imp then!

fender
31-May-11, 12:56
In the good old days.

NS was Sutherland and BS was Orkney

Torvaig
31-May-11, 13:11
Had a Triumph Herald with the number NS2323. The number is still in use but not the Herald!

Trajan
31-May-11, 14:57
ask 1, was on a vw beetle,funny light blue colour, in wick when i was a young child, seemingly arthur askey was trying to buy it for years,, not sure if the old lady sold it too him or not before she passed on.

Mystical Potato Head
31-May-11, 17:08
I was under the impression* that plates from agriculture vehicle cannot be transferred to cars, seems I'm wrong?

Only MOT testable vehicles can undertake in the transfer scheme, i.e. not tractors or agricultural vehicles
Hmm worth a bit
ASK 1 (Price on application)
ASK 3Y: roundabout £20,000
ASK 84: £10,800

http://www.regtransfers.co.uk/main/searchs/searchresults.asp

No, your quite correct or at least you were correct,maybe things have changed.My dad had BS 5555 on and old T20 tractor and it couldnt be transferred to a car.

bekisman
31-May-11, 17:57
No, your quite correct or at least you were correct,maybe things have changed.My dad had BS 5555 on and old T20 tractor and it couldnt be transferred to a car.

Could have been worth a fair bit too.. http://www.image-reg.com/searchmainpage.php?search=BS&searchbutt=Search