PDA

View Full Version : Donald Bruce and Elizabeth/Christina Sutherland

saraleeroth
25-Apr-11, 21:06
Hello
After being led astray by a tree hint on Ancestry, I am back on track with my Bruce line but have hit a bit of a wall. My GGGgrandfather Donald Bruce has on his birth record (1808 in Watten) his father as Donald Bruce and his mother as Elizabeth Sutherland, but on his death record (1869 Wick) father is Donald Bruce and mother is Christina Sutherland. Has anyone any info that may help me.
Thanks
Sara

cuthill
26-Apr-11, 10:03
I would think it is Elizabeth Sutherland as i found his siblings
Margaret Bruce c 11/12/1803 Watten
Jannet Bruce c 22/09/105 Watten
Jean Bruce c22/09/1805 Watten
Donald Bruce c 24/01/1808 Watten
George Bruce c 03/12/1815 Watten
and they all had the same mother Elizabeth Sutherland

saraleeroth
26-Apr-11, 11:18
thank you so much, where did you find the siblings?
Sara

cuthill
26-Apr-11, 17:49
IGI hope it helps.

saraleeroth
26-Apr-11, 20:11
Yes it really does - I had got bogged down with all the sutherlands and now at least I can narrow things down with the naming pattern
thank you :)
Sara

Rosemary Skea
26-Apr-11, 22:20
Donald and Elizabeth were married on 31 December 1803 at Watten. Check out FREEREG and you will find the births and marriage there.

Rosemary

Rosemary Skea
27-Apr-11, 04:02
A slip of the finger there this morning - marriage year is 1802 not 1803.

Also there was another Donald Bruce who lived at Munsary in Watten and was married to Christina Sutherland. They also had a son Donald and I am thinking that this is the Donald whose death certificate you have found. You can find this family in the 1841 census at Munsary. Look on FREECEN for free information. I have had a quick search around and can't find any of your family in the 1841 census in Caithness.

Rosemary

Donald and Elizabeth were married on 31 December 1803 at Watten. Check out FREEREG and you will find the births and marriage there.

Rosemary

saraleeroth
28-Apr-11, 20:15
thank you both for the help, the death certificate I found was for the right donald, I think, as it has his wife Elizabeth Andrew named on it, the place is right as its Pultenytown and it witnessed by their son Donald. It was just the mothers name that completely threw me. Until I found this site I had no idea how many Bruce/Sutherlands there were that were so similar!! This has been a great help
Sara