PDA

View Full Version : Soul Poll

crayola
08-Sep-06, 02:06
Let's have a soul poll.

Do you have a soul?

canuck
08-Sep-06, 02:26
Well with 2 votes in and a 50/50 split I think everyone can guess how we voted.

_Ju_
08-Sep-06, 08:50
An extremely simplified question for a very complicated question.

I believe that there is a collective place ( that you may want to call a soul- I would call it our (humanity's) ancient soul), that we all have, possible lodged in our primitive brain that has alot to do with our instinctive behaviour. I think that this ancient soul is what makes us have a need to have faith, have a need for religion/mysticism and explain what we don't understand through magic, religion or other greater powers. I also believe it is not our own, but something collective nor is it more, in my opinion, than an ancient "memory" (cannot think of a better word) left by evolution and biological. Please don't call the men in white coats on me. Thanks!;)

golach
08-Sep-06, 09:54
Let's have a soul poll.
Do you have a soul?
I like Dover sole with french fries, but sorry for being flippant, but I am a non believer

Naefearjustbeer
08-Sep-06, 10:29
I like tomato, lentil or tattie soup.
oops its not about soup I genuinely miread the thread title. Yes I have a soul.

porshiepoo
08-Sep-06, 14:15
Bet ya can't guess how I voted!!!!! lol

Billy Boy
08-Sep-06, 16:34
lol can anyone tell me what a soul is??:confused:
please dont say a fish, bottom of ma shoe or foot a would really like to know as i dont think i'v ever met mine or could it be mrs bb she's ma soul mate;)

DOC ROCK
08-Sep-06, 17:58
I think that at the end of life you are dead, "the long sleep". You are gone, all this soul thing is just a figment of some peoples imagination, thinking that they will evolve into something more than the bacteria that we have more in common with, which is the beginnings of life.

laguna2
08-Sep-06, 20:17
Ach ... if you don't believe you have a soul what do you believe ... ????

Ricco
08-Sep-06, 21:00
I like Dover sole with french fries, but sorry for being flippant, but I am a non believer

Nice one, Golach... and I would hate to see you say anything different. :)

Murchiemannie
08-Sep-06, 21:06
hate to think that this is the end of the line. I have my reservations but my " inner self" tells me there has to be something else??????
What is it they say...there is no beginning and no end something along those lines.... but when we enter the incinerator at the Crem. w e l l ??

gleeber
08-Sep-06, 21:12
I'm feeling spiritual tonight and I dont think I can be spiritual without a soul.
A souls a funny unexplainable thing but when I hear the word it conjures up something spiritual in me.
Most of the time I get by fine without having to turn to my soul but when I do I usually feel a wee bitty better.
My souls personal, like a diary, but when it's operating properly, anyone I am in contact with, usually feels better for the experience. Mind you, it disna happen often.:(
Having said that I voted for, Danna be daft, theres no such thing as a soul!

Tiger Jones
08-Sep-06, 21:20
The only type of 'soul' I believe in is that we live on in the memories of those we will leave behind.

celtic 302
08-Sep-06, 21:20
Ach ... if you don't believe you have a soul what do you believe ... ????

i dont believe i have a soul, so what do i believe in?.... nothing. when i die, im going six feet under and staying there untill i rot away or dug up. i most certainly dont belive that a part of me (a bit that weighs 21 grams i think they say) will part from me, and go up to the idiot in the sky some off u call dog... or is it god... not sure. anyway.. im one of those people who believe that theres opposites for everything in this world, so if u have believers, u must have non-..... u get the point...

blueivy
08-Sep-06, 21:23
We're all just meat, flesh, bones and some electrical signals at the end of the day so I'm not sure where this soul part comes from.

What does puzzle me is when some people say that a soul is what separates us from the animals. Our decendants were animals and we're all animals on this planet, some more advanced than others, but we're all animals at the end of the day!

It's a little depressing when you look at it like that!

celtic 302
08-Sep-06, 21:31
blueivy, dont look at things to closely, cos if u do, everything wil lend up depressing you...

blueivy
08-Sep-06, 21:39
celtic 302,

But when you look at all there is, all there will ever be, it all looks just a little .. well, dull! Is this it? No hope for a future, we are here for what, 80 odd years maybe and then nothing. Then again you can look at it on the flipside - you only have 80 years and that's it so make the most of it while you can! Live life to the full.

I envy people who have faith and belief in something else out there as they always seem so damn happy! But I just can't accept there being this fantastic afterlife that your soul (whatever that is) rises too. It just doesn't make much sense ...

I have an open mind. Wonderful and strange things exist everywhere that defy explanation. Chantelle still being 'famous' for one ...

pultneytooner
08-Sep-06, 21:44
Yep, I would like to believe but I don't.
I just think that when you die that's it, the last of the heat from your body migrates onto the morgue table and your flesh is good fertiliser for the earth , th th th th Thats all folkssss.[lol]

Dreadnought
08-Sep-06, 21:45
Do you have a soul?

Got £50 for mine on Ebay.

pultneytooner
08-Sep-06, 21:46
Do you have a soul?

Got £50 for mine on Ebay.
Cool idea, gonna sell caithness fresh air in a can to the gullible canadians and united staters.[lol];)

crayola
09-Sep-06, 00:22
Well with 2 votes in and a 50/50 split I think everyone can guess how we voted.Why dost thou judge before thy judgement is called upon?

Let us play. Let us tread thy logical path. Let us deny the ballot of all but we two. Let us thus assume that there are but two votes cast. It be knownst to me how I didst vote. That meaneth that I have the knowledge of how thy vote was cast. I thus deduce that thy soul doth not exist. This shocketh me.

htwood
09-Sep-06, 03:50
my logical half says no way, how can we measure this "soul" thing. But my emotional half says yes, here it is, I can feel it. And if I do have a soul, why would it leave me when I die? Does it blink out, like a spent candlewick, or can I take it with me to the other shore. Eh, winter is coming, these are fireside thoughts.

katarina
09-Sep-06, 10:22
I'm feeling spiritual tonight and I dont think I can be spiritual without a soul.
A souls a funny unexplainable thing but when I hear the word it conjures up something spiritual in me.
Most of the time I get by fine without having to turn to my soul but when I do I usually feel a wee bitty better.
My souls personal, like a diary, but when it's operating properly, anyone I am in contact with, usually feels better for the experience. Mind you, it disna happen often.:(
Having said that I voted for, Danna be daft, theres no such thing as a soul!

There's hope for ye yet, gleeb!

porshiepoo
09-Sep-06, 10:53
my logical half says no way, how can we measure this "soul" thing. But my emotional half says yes, here it is, I can feel it. And if I do have a soul, why would it leave me when I die? Does it blink out, like a spent candlewick, or can I take it with me to the other shore. Eh, winter is coming, these are fireside thoughts.

It doesn't leave you when you die - it is you. It merely leaves the vessel that you chose to get you through this life.
Blimey, I must have hated myself. lol. Either that or wanted a good laugh! :lol:

porshiepoo
09-Sep-06, 10:58
We're all just meat, flesh, bones and some electrical signals at the end of the day so I'm not sure where this soul part comes from.

What does puzzle me is when some people say that a soul is what separates us from the animals. Our decendants were animals and we're all animals on this planet, some more advanced than others, but we're all animals at the end of the day!

It's a little depressing when you look at it like that!

You be talking about a machiavellian hypothesis now and lets see who came up with that theory ....... man!
What does the word animal mean? Nothing! It's simply a manmade word used to describe, it certainly doesn't make us any more or less what we truly are ...immortal! (spiritually speaking of course) ;)

porshiepoo
09-Sep-06, 11:06
See, now I promised myself to stay away from this topic. :roll:

I'm getting off and I shan't even pop back in for a quick looksie. ;)

Come on Paris, I know you have an opinion on this. lol. Do you think they'd believe half of what we've seen???????

blueivy
09-Sep-06, 11:06
You be talking about a machiavellian hypothesis now and lets see who came up with that theory ....... man!
What does the word animal mean? Nothing! It's simply a manmade word used to describe, it certainly doesn't make us any more or less what we truly are ...immortal! (spiritually speaking of course) ;)

The word animal is just an identification of something - like the word plant, mineral, rock, sand, water ... they all describe something. So animal means ... animal .... just like immortal means immortal, another man made word!

All words are man made - man created language that we speak. Language is made of words, just like a house is made of bricks. You need to have the building blocks before you have the whole.

Anyway I would see man as the animal, just like monkey, ape, snake, deer, etc. Man is not male, man is the animal - both male and female.

We're nothing more than animals, highly envolved animals relative to the others we see and know about, but animals none the less. We are flesh and bones with a brain thrown in to control it all.

I think you know what I think of the immortality quote!

rockchick
09-Sep-06, 11:23
Thoughts on souls (composed while I'm supposed to be doing something else)...

The Encyclopaedia Britannica defines a soul as: "a spiritual substance, which animates the bodies of living creatures: it is the principle of life and activity within them". Okay, let's work with that...

Does it exist outside the physical body, i.e. when I die, does my soul still exist (go to the Christian heaven/hell/purgatory, or float around available for reincarnation) or does it cease to exist due to lack of oxygen to my brain (ultimate reason for every single death).

If it doesn't exist outside my body, then there is no purpose for heaven or hell so they wouldn't exist, so no judgement day, then why have religious rules? Is that the only reason to have religion, to get our ultimate reward? shouldn't religions be about making life while you live it better for yourself and everyone your life touches?

If it does exist outside my body, ignoring the issue of the afterlife, did it exist before I was conceived? What was I before I became me?

If a soul joins with the physical body at the moment of conception, what happens to identical or conjoined twins whose physical selves are split sometime after conception. Do they share a soul? If not, why not?

If I don't have a soul, then what makes me me? Why do I love watching sunrises, and feel a sense of peace on a starry night, when I feel at one with the world?

If souls are manifestations of life, then do animals have souls? plants? If not, why not? Because they didn't eat of the tree of knowledge??? So, if some parasitic worm in the Garden of Eden snuck a bite from the right bit of fruit (we don't know it was an apple) it would have a soul, but not some poor sob running around being a carnivore? Just doesn't seem fair does it.

I guess we'll never really be able to know what a soul is or where it goes, as there is no way to test this. The question is far too personal and can't be answered objectively. Anything that would be truly objective couldn't comprehend the nature of a soul...

porshiepoo
09-Sep-06, 12:16
Are there none of you out there that just 'know' theres something else?
Not in an ignorant, stubborn way but in a spiritual way? Deep inside, you can't explain how, but when you think of life after death it just feels right and you know no matter what, it does exist?

I can completely understand the arguments against LAD and even the existance of a soul, crumbs even I come up with questions that can't be answered, but even so, deep inside I still believe.
My opinion isn't made up by any proof or disproof that people bandy about, it's something I feel i've known ever since I was a child.:)

Saveman
09-Sep-06, 12:20
We don't have a soul, we are a soul and so are animals.

Gleber2
09-Sep-06, 13:09
I am a false persona. I was conditioned in my mothers womb with an imprint of my mothers brain. I was educated as I was brought up by home, by school and by play. This false persona is the guiding intelligence of this body which is an illusion. The illusion is powered by the real persona or soul which cannot take control until the false persona becomes enlightened enough to see the nature of the game and allows the real intelligence to take its place. Without that soul we would have no existance in this reality.

Dreadnought
09-Sep-06, 13:46
Cool idea, gonna sell caithness fresh air in a can to the gullible canadians and united staters.[lol];)

The ban on liquids on flghts has hammered my Genuine Thames Water business...

canuck
09-Sep-06, 14:01
I am a false persona. I was conditioned in my mothers womb with an imprint of my mothers brain. I was educated as I was brought up by home, by school and by play. This false persona is the guiding intelligence of this body which is an illusion. The illusion is powered by the real persona or soul which cannot take control until the false persona becomes enlightened enough to see the nature of the game and allows the real intelligence to take its place. Without that soul we would have no existance in this reality.

A voice of reason. Thanks for post.

canuck
09-Sep-06, 16:17
Why dost thou judge before thy judgement is called upon?

Let us play. Let us tread thy logical path. Let us deny the ballot of all but we two. Let us thus assume that there are but two votes cast. It be knownst to me how I didst vote. That meaneth that I have the knowledge of how thy vote was cast. I thus deduce that thy soul doth not exist. This shocketh me.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to make it appear that I was pronouncing a judgement. I thought that I was making a reasonable conclusion to an observation. It was the middle of the Caithnessian night when the thread appeared. With 0 posts and 0 views recorded I assumed that when the results appeared to me after I voted that the only other voter (for there was only one other recorded besides mine) was the originator of the poll. Perhaps I was wrong. I am sorry if I made an incorrect conclusion. It has happened before and it will happen again I am sure.

I also conclude that you would conclude that I don't have a soul. That doesn't change the fact that I do have one.

About the date the poll is to run to. Is that a significant calendar event?

porshiepoo
09-Sep-06, 17:05
With the influx of new orgers, dare I open the 'Angels or maggot food?' thread again??????? ;)

pultneytooner
09-Sep-06, 21:29
See, now I promised myself to stay away from this topic.

I'm getting off and I shan't even pop back in for a quick looksie. ;)

Come on Paris, I know you have an opinion on this. lol. Do you think they'd believe half of what we've seen???????
Well tell us what you have seen and let us make our own minds up.
Nobody can prove or disprove the existence of a soul so it's really a no-brainer.

Bobinovich
09-Sep-06, 21:35
Got no soul
just a little rock'n'roll
gonna leave myself behind
like the rest of mankind
will end up as food
for some worm in the 'hood
just a little peedie rap
yes I know it's rubbish!!! [lol]

Moira
10-Sep-06, 01:40
With the influx of new orgers, dare I open the 'Angels or maggot food?' thread again???????

Eh - No please don't. Let's explore the soul thing for a little bit longer. For someone who wasn't going to say any more on this thread you're doing no' bad! ;)

For the record I voted for the soul. To be soulless would mean that I would be (quoting Collins Ref Eng Dictionary) "mechanical; lacking sensitivity or nobility; heartless, cruel". I am none of these things so I must have a soul. I'm glad about this :D

porshiepoo
10-Sep-06, 13:55
Well tell us what you have seen and let us make our own minds up.
Nobody can prove or disprove the existence of a soul so it's really a no-brainer.

O Eck!
Right I've just spent 15 minutes trying to explain our experiences of an open circle and I've deleted it over and over again cos I just don't seem to be able to explain anyof it without it sounding 'woo woo'.

Just tried some more and deleted it all again. It sounds way out even to me and I believe it. :confused

cuddlepop
10-Sep-06, 14:03
Porshipoo,think we're on same wave length because i to know there.s something else after we die.I'm not terribly religeous and believe in more than god as we know him to be.Its really difficult to express what i mean,just lets say i'm not afraid to die.;)

porshiepoo
10-Sep-06, 22:52
Porshipoo,think we're on same wave length because i to know there.s something else after we die.I'm not terribly religeous and believe in more than god as we know him to be.Its really difficult to express what i mean,just lets say i'm not afraid to die.;)

In the words of the great Robbie Williams 'I ain't scared of dying I just don't want to'.

I feel sorry for those people that don't believe in LAD. I'd be terrified of dying if I thought that was it - maggot food!
Surely there has to be more point to life? Why find it so hard to believe that this life is not 'it'.

connieb19
12-Sep-06, 08:11
In the words of the great Robbie Williams 'I ain't scared of dying I just don't want to'.

I feel sorry for those people that don't believe in LAD. I'd be terrified of dying if I thought that was it - maggot food!
Surely there has to be more point to life? Why find it so hard to believe that this life is not 'it'.
I wasn't sure what to thinkabout life after death, I used to be scared at the thought of dying until I went and had past life regresion done and now I have no doubts there is life after death.

porshiepoo
12-Sep-06, 09:11
I wasn't sure what to thinkabout life after death, I used to be scared at the thought of dying until I went and had past life regresion done and now I have no doubts there is life after death.

Thats so cool, I'd love to be regressed, it's just finding a person you feel you can trust. :(

gleeber
12-Sep-06, 10:50

If ever evidence was required as to why people believe in the unbelievable, porshiepoo has supplied it in the above post.;)
Modern life's a strain.
I don't know if it was any better in the past but from my own experience it's not.
The truth is it doesnt matter one iota how idyllic the past was or how much hope we have for the future. We have to live our lives now, and living is feeling. I can explain how I felt 30 years ago when someone close to me died but I can no longer experience the event outside of my imagination. I could be led to believe by a competant and prejudiced therapist that I was Alexander the Great in a past life, or a caveman struggling for survival in the wintery blasts of the last ice age but it would be created by my imagination. There is no evidence that the created past life ever existed apart from the same hope that millions of religious folk use to get through the day.
My hope for today would be that soul seekers and God believers would stop and think for a moment and ask themselves just one question. Where did I get these ideas of Gods and souls from?
I believe it's a psychological virus handed down from other peoples ideas of past lives.

Bobinovich
12-Sep-06, 15:38
If ever evidence was required as to why people believe in the unbelievable, porshiepoo has supplied it in the above post.;)
Modern life's a strain.
I don't know if it was any better in the past but from my own experience it's not.
The truth is it doesnt matter one iota how idyllic the past was or how much hope we have for the future. We have to live our lives now, and living is feeling. I can explain how I felt 30 years ago when someone close to me died but I can no longer experience the event outside of my imagination. I could be led to believe by a competant and prejudiced therapist that I was Alexander the Great in a past life, or a caveman struggling for survival in the wintery blasts of the last ice age but it would be created by my imagination. There is no evidence that the created past life ever existed apart from the same hope that millions of religious folk use to get through the day.
My hope for today would be that soul seekers and God believers would stop and think for a moment and ask themselves just one question. Where did I get these ideas of Gods and souls from?
I believe it's a psychological virus handed down from other peoples ideas of past lives.

There you go. In a nutshell. Well put Gleeber

Gleber2
12-Sep-06, 15:46
Iftion. There is no evidence that the created past life ever existed apart from the same hope that millions of religious folk use to get through the day.

And there is no evidence to the contrary either.

Whitewater
12-Sep-06, 15:59

'Some electrical signals at the end of the day' Thats an interesting quote 'blueivy'. Much as we try we can not destroy energy, we can only transform it. Hmmmm, are these electrical signals the soul????????

porshiepoo
12-Sep-06, 16:42

My belief of an after life is not based on a fear of this life.
I would still hold this belief regardless, I was simply trying to say that my belief of life after death helps me through some bad times in my life. [disgust]

Modern life's a strain.

The truth is it doesnt matter one iota how idyllic the past was or how much hope we have for the future. We have to live our lives now, and living is feeling.

Past life regression for me would just be pure interest - nothing more or less!

I could be led to believe by a competant and prejudiced therapist that I was Alexander the Great in a past life, or a caveman struggling for survival in the wintery blasts of the last ice age

Somehow I seriously doubt that! LOL

but it would be created by my imagination. There is no evidence that the created past life ever existed

Nothing to disprove it either. So it's either you do or don't - no proof either way.

I've always known of the the existence of life after death.

Hahahahahaha!

pultneytooner
12-Sep-06, 18:44
Modern life's a strain.
What about someone who's been regressed and the life they supposidly lived is researched and found to be genuine and I don't mean someone was joan of arc or anything?

gleeber
12-Sep-06, 23:12
And there is no evidence to the contrary either.

There's a fair puckle of evidence to suggest that human beings have an ability to distort their realities. When 2 people give differing accounts of the same event, is it their eyes that let them down or is it the way their minds interpret what is seen. Evidence suggests that subjective feelings cannot be trusted to be consistant with any, up until now, unknown, natural laws of the mind, or for that matter, any other evidence based idea in physics.
That doesnt mean that the person with the delusion is not affected by it. Theres plenty of evidence to suggest they are. :D

Nothing to disprove it either. So it's either you do or you don't - no proof either way.
I understand the either/or scenario but theres plenty evidence to suggest that religion, and thats everything from Karma to Kristianity, at its deepest level, acts as a mittin for the soul. If we have one that is! Freud (not again I hear ye roar) exposed the deepest recesses of the human mind when he discovered the unconscious. Father figures and mother figures and everlasting life and miracles and gods and demons are all products of that unconscious mind.

What about someone who's been regressed and the life they supposedly lived is researched and found to be genuine and I don't mean someone was joan of arc or anything?
When you say it's found to be genuine, I dont accept that it can be genuine. For every psychic claim made, there's someone or two who will find a flaw in it. Like Darwin said,"If I'm wrong about one teensy weensy little bit of my theory, then its all wrong" Well he said someting like that.
So far Darwin hasnt been found wanting although they're trying very hard next door.:D

mostlyharmless
13-Sep-06, 09:52
The soul is the spirit and body as one so I presume your speaking about the spirit. So yes I think I have one.
The past life experience thing is then;

either this spirit which if eternal may have looked down upon family or other spirit friends before it came down here for a body.

Or each of us carries within us a gene memory of all our ancestors which we carry in our own genes and at times creeps in to our subconscious.

So we are not only the sum of our own experiences but those that have lived before us. Our spirit therefore has to battle through these generational tendencies in a battle to be itself.

The less we strive to search for spiritual truth the more likely we are to become a sum of our ancestors experiences and not ourselves. Hence eventually becoming cynical tired and never entirely at ease with life or ourselves.

pultneytooner
13-Sep-06, 13:15
When you say it's found to be genuine, I dont accept that it can be genuine. For every psychic claim made, there's someone or two who will find a flaw in it. Like Darwin said,"If I'm wrong about one teensy weensy little bit of my theory, then its all wrong" Well he said someting like that.
So far Darwin hasnt been found wanting although they're trying very hard next door.:D
When I say found to be genuine I mean that the person who was regressed described themselves living another life and could name who they were and where abouts they lived then research takes over and they find out that yes, someone of that name lived at that particular time in that particular place.
So if the person who was regressed had absolutely no prior knowledge of that person from the past then that adds hard evidence to the idea of reincarnation.

pultneytooner
13-Sep-06, 13:17
The soul is the spirit and body as one so I presume your speaking about the spirit. So yes I think I have one.
The past life experience thing is then;

either this spirit which if eternal may have looked down upon family or other spirit friends before it came down here for a body.

Or each of us carries within us a gene memory of all our ancestors which we carry in our own genes and at times creeps in to our subconscious.

So we are not only the sum of our own experiences but those that have lived before us. Our spirit therefore has to battle through these generational tendencies in a battle to be itself.

The less we strive to search for spiritual truth the more likely we are to become a sum of our ancestors experiences and not ourselves. Hence eventually becoming cynical tired and never entirely at ease with life or ourselves.
I have thought about memories being carried on through dna over generations but then would there not have to be a direct link between the person from the present and the person from the past whos memories you are percieving as your own?

gleeber
13-Sep-06, 17:28
When I say found to be genuine I mean that the person who was regressed described themselves living another life and could name who they were and where abouts they lived then research takes over and they find out that yes, someone of that name lived at that particular time in that particular place.
So if the person who was regressed had absolutely no prior knowledge of that person from the past then that adds hard evidence to the idea of reincarnation.
I know what you meant and I would dispute the findings. When these type of events are carried out under laboratory conditions, for some reason they never seem to work.

gleeber
13-Sep-06, 17:34
I have thought about memories being carried on through dna over generations but then would there not have to be a direct link between the person from the present and the person from the past whos memories you are percieving as your own?
C.G. Jung dealt with these ideas for most of his life. Archetypes are primitive mental images inherited from our earliest human ancestors and supposed to be present in the, so called, collective consciousness.
Jungs mother was into spiritualism and his father was a Christian preacher. Although Jung was a great man his background would have influenced any research he did on the subject.

phoenix
13-Sep-06, 17:52

Not all that long ago I had occassion to be at Latheron Cemetry, while there I took a wander around the old cemetry, I had a feeling I was looking for something but hadnt a clue what until I spotted a Statue of a Lady, I then knew that was what I was looking for {dont ask me how I knew, I dont even know why I was there} anyway when I saw her I thought thats it, I struggled down the embankment to read the inscription...........It was the grave of a man who had been a Parish Teacher of Latheron he died in 1892 aged 63. Believe this or not but something said to me that is part of you :confused Im thinking it cant be, unless in a past life. Then something said to me he more than likely taught your Great Grandmother {she was a Sutherland from Latheron} and seeing as he taught her his teachings have been passed on to you and all the other people that he taught, so his teachings lives on! He was a good teacher that Im sure of...........part of the inscription on his gravestone read "Though dead yet speaketh" That kind of backs up what you have been thinking pultneytooner! :cool:

mostlyharmless
13-Sep-06, 19:17
Hmm, of course any memories you had would be passed on to you up to the time you were created,[conceived etc], so memories of 80 yr old men would be unlikely.But apart from that it could be any genetic link from any period the genetic set up seems vast so there would be plenty of room.

I once heard of an oriental belief that if an individual did not overcome a spiritual problem before he had a child it would be passed on to that child?!

Which creates another question as to whether or not a spiritual progression can have a physical effect on our genetic makeup or memory.

Which makes you wonder whether we are trying to find spiritual [i know not clearly defined] power through physical means.

porshiepoo
13-Sep-06, 19:31
So if our memories are capable of remembering the lives of bygone ancestors that we didn't even know, is it not then acceptable to assume that we are capable of carrying the same memories (as some do) of another existence on the other side? :eek:

pultneytooner
13-Sep-06, 20:37
So if our memories are capable of remembering the lives of bygone ancestors that we didn't even know, is it not then acceptable to assume that we are capable of carrying the same memories (as some do) of another existence on the other side? :eek:
If the memories of a past life are transfered through genetic material then I don't think that these would include memories of the other side as there would be no connection between the two.

crayola
13-Sep-06, 23:27
Bet gleber is right and it's collective consciousness. DNA is too primitive.

crayola
13-Sep-06, 23:32
Sorry, I wasn't intending to make it appear that I was pronouncing a judgement. I thought that I was making a reasonable conclusion to an observation. It was the middle of the Caithnessian night when the thread appeared. With 0 posts and 0 views recorded I assumed that when the results appeared to me after I voted that the only other voter (for there was only one other recorded besides mine) was the originator of the poll. Perhaps I was wrong. I am sorry if I made an incorrect conclusion. It has happened before and it will happen again I am sure.

I also conclude that you would conclude that I don't have a soul. That doesn't change the fact that I do have one.

About the date the poll is to run to. Is that a significant calendar event?Yeah you were wrong canuck but no worries. I'm no daft, I don't cast the first vote on my own polls.

When you start a poll it asks how many days to run it for. I clicked on 100.

mostlyharmless
14-Sep-06, 00:14
Collective consciousness...CG JUNG... I think perhaps selective unconsciousness is brought about through reading his stuff, and those brave enough to comment on it.[Not talking about those on here before anyone takes offence]

And DNA is simple! Hats off to you if you can figure that, I manage to watch various films lasting hours on an old video is it as simple as that?

Still Jung is wonderful for making you think 'outside the box' as the sad rheteric goes.
Am I here am I not here am I here because I am conscious or because I take up physical space..................whats more are all things possible because I can perceive them to be possible and if I perceive them are they then real...

I wonder why the gene memory thing doesn't take me back to times of swinging through trees or feeding in the deep blue ocean, perhaps theres no genetic link then?

My collective consciousness mmm why do I not feel collectively inclined to sweep majestically across distant plains or swim up stream to spawn, perhaps theres no link there either then.
Funny they sound so spiritual though.

Oh well back to the spirit[soul] then if a soul is eternal and and its substance not material could it have watched its spirit friends before it came here for a body?

We spend so much time on the bodies needs usually to excess perhaps more time spent on the spirit[soul] might give us greater insight...

Ah well its late...

crayola
14-Sep-06, 00:27
Go to the pub. i think you need a drink.

I know a bit about this. Memory in the brain is associated with neurons and synapses which are way bigger than simple strands of DNA. My pal's hubby has explained it enough times that I think I understand. He's a scientist who's a Christian but he doesn't think DNA can carry memory because it's too small which means too simple in this case.

mostlyharmless
14-Sep-06, 01:01
A drink... now what did I say about feeding the soul a sleep would be better.
glad you have scientist friends though I have a friend called Don Lind who is an astronaut [and christian as it happens] but what that has to do with anything I'm not sure.

Maybe all genetic memory can be unlocked with the introduction of previously unknown chemicals when we are abducted by aliens ...perhaps infact anyone that has been abducted will keep having regressions!... hahaha.

Although on a serious note bumps on the head stimulating previously unknown memories and knowledge are interesting.

Anyway just 'simple' theories crayola hold on to your hat ..I don't think there are any certainties in this area ['don't think' but not sure like your friend]

Simple.. yes lets say that simple as everything seems to be so we can all understand it.

The Genetic memory theory is very intriguing, especialy when you consider the "junk" DNA, which is actually most of it from what I hear. Could it be that this is where Jung's collective unconscious resides.[ I might find him boring but his theory is interesting] For my part I feel that this excess DNA contains in it a huge memory database that accumulates over time .
Genetic memory resides in specific molecules of DNA and today's advanced technologies will help us in future investigations,"
There we go simple.
I forgot to say theres some fascinating stuff on this subject related to savants.

crayola
14-Sep-06, 10:56
If the memories of a past life are transfered through genetic material then I don't think that these would include memories of the other side as there would be no connection between the two.Precisely. It needs something new like collective consciousness or dark energy or the like. Or the soul. :cool:

DNA is too simple and all DNA of a certain type is identical to all other DNA of that type so it can't carry extra information like memory. See, I know this stuff.

crayola
14-Sep-06, 10:59
A drink... now what did I say about feeding the soul a sleep would be better.I thought you said 'feeding the soul a sheep' for a sec there. I didn't know souls needed animal sacrifices. :lol:

crayola
23-Sep-06, 01:04
Every time I see this thread I start singing Soul Man to myself.

Anyone else been watching the MOBO awards tonight? Sam Moore is singing Soul Man as I type.

Great show, awesome man.

JAWS
23-Sep-06, 02:02
I have been assured on many occasions that I have no soul. I have also been advised I have no heart, no conscience, no feelings, no humanity - oh, make your own list up.

As for other descriptions which have been made about me on regular basis in the past I have carefully checked the records of my parents' marriage and can state categorically that the accusations are definitely unfounded! :D

I must, however, confess that there are times when even I have my doubts.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Sep-06, 02:57
Yep I have a soul.My favourite Soul ..........David Soul..."Don't give up on us baby"....:lol: :lol:

sapphire
23-Sep-06, 11:34
Yep I have a soul.My favourite Soul ..........David Soul..."Don't give up on us baby"....

Cedric I have to admit to buying 'Lets have a quiet night in' on single and that was'nt yesterday! [lol]