PDA

View Full Version : Happy Easter everyone!!

brandy
24-Apr-11, 10:43
as the title said! Happy Easter!
so far we have dyed eggs.. if the sun stays out will have a egg hunt in the garden.. the bible is playing in the background on the telly and we will read the easter story later with the kids after we have done the eggs.. please stay dry!! and eat lots of choccie!
hope everyone has a good one!!!

peedie man
24-Apr-11, 12:45
Happy Easter brandy and everyone else............have a good day

Kodiak
24-Apr-11, 12:58
http://i54.tinypic.com/10epkhz.jpg

pmcd
24-Apr-11, 13:15
A greeting well worth passing on - Yes - let's all have a Happy Easter, and a kind word and a good thought for everyone.

secrets in symmetry
24-Apr-11, 15:10
Happy Easter everyone!

Did anyone else watch The Story of Jesus on BBC1 this morning? Evidently, it was part 2 of a two part programme, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

cherokee
24-Apr-11, 15:48
Yes, A Very Happy Easter to one and all !

God gave His only begotten Son for us..........may we always remember the true meaning of this very special day.

The Happy Humanist
24-Apr-11, 21:14
Perhps we should remember that there are many "true" meanings yet very different origins to this day. As with many Christian festivals Easter corresponds to festivals in earlier times.
The name "Easter" originated with the names of ancient Goddesses. The Venerable Bede, (672-735 CE.) a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility was known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos. Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre." Similar Goddesses were known by other names in ancient cultures and were celebrated in the springtime. Some were: Aphrodite from ancient Cyprus, Ashtoreth from ancient Israel, Astarte from ancient Greece, Demeter from Mycenae, Hathor from ancient Egypt, Ishtar from Assyria, Kali, from India,Ostara a Norse Goddess of fertility.
So let's share the joy of springtime with all humankind. not claim it as only belonging to one belief system.
Enjoy your eggs everyone!!:D

bekisman
24-Apr-11, 21:32
Perhps we should remember that there are many "true" meanings yet very different origins to this day. As with many Christian festivals Easter corresponds to festivals in earlier times.
The name "Easter" originated with the names of ancient Goddesses. The Venerable Bede, (672-735 CE.) a Christian scholar, first asserted in his book De Ratione Temporum that Easter was named after Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). She was the Great Mother Goddess of the Saxon people in Northern Europe. Similarly, the Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility was known variously as Ostare, Ostara, Ostern, Eostra, Eostre, Eostur, Eastra, Eastur, Austron and Ausos. Her name was derived from the ancient word for spring: "eastre." Similar Goddesses were known by other names in ancient cultures and were celebrated in the springtime. Some were: Aphrodite from ancient Cyprus, Ashtoreth from ancient Israel, Astarte from ancient Greece, Demeter from Mycenae, Hathor from ancient Egypt, Ishtar from Assyria, Kali, from India,Ostara a Norse Goddess of fertility.
So let's share the joy of springtime with all humankind. not claim it as only belonging to one belief system.
Enjoy your eggs everyone!!:D
Well Said!

Dadie
24-Apr-11, 22:09
We have had a fun weekend, decorating eggs, rolling eggs and eating too many of the chocolate ones!
The girls were up late most nights decorating their eggs....we did a pink sparkley egg with gems on, a purple sequined goose egg, a ladybird and a golden goose with a goose egg for the body and a hens egg for the head.What amazing things did you do with your eggs? We blew the eggs so we could keep the decorated ones for longer but it made them a bit more fragile so we went though a lot more than anticipated...and an awful lot of scambled egg was consumed...I must bake or do something else with them..I know 2oz equates to a medium egg so have a rough idea of how much to add to recipes .....any ideas?

secrets in symmetry
25-Apr-11, 00:44
Well Said!Lol! She didn't say it, she copied it from one of literally hundreds of places that contain exactly the same wish washy excuses for nothingness.

I might have expected praise from a wishy washy lazy agnostic but I'm surprised that a genuinely thoughtful atheist was fooled by it. Humanism is usually just religion for wimps or atheism for the uncommitted or the other way around.

I've never met a humanist that couldn't keep their nose out of religion. I wish they'd create their own festivals and keep their noses out of established ones.

pmcd
25-Apr-11, 00:52
I guess you won't be among the many who actually enjoys wishing someone a Happy Easter. A lot of bile there. Why?

brandy
25-Apr-11, 00:59
*laughs* was telling the easter story to Ben tonight.. from the mouths of babes.. he said.. Friday was a very angry day.. and Monday a happy one! he said because God was angry that everyone killed Jesus but happy cause he came back to life. Sam being the mature 8 year old.. is more.. yeah, but easter is usually at my birthday (3rd April) .. why isn't it this year? why does it change dates.. and why does it matter about the moon?

secrets in symmetry
25-Apr-11, 01:07
*laughs* was telling the easter story to Ben tonight.. from the mouths of babes.. he said.. Friday was a very angry day.. and Monday a happy one! he said because God was angry that everyone killed Jesus but happy cause he came back to life. Sam being the mature 8 year old.. is more.. yeah, but easter is usually at my birthday (3rd April) .. why isn't it this year? why does it change dates.. and why does it matter about the moon?Easter is determined by a lunar calendar triggered by the Spring Equinox in the standard (solar) one, that's why it jumps around from year to year. It would make more sense to use a periodic lunar calendar, but tradition is stronger than today's global committees.

The Happy Humanist
25-Apr-11, 07:55
Lol! She didn't say it, she copied it from one of literally hundreds of places that contain exactly the same wish washy excuses for nothingness.

I might have expected praise from a wishy washy lazy agnostic but I'm surprised that a genuinely thoughtful atheist was fooled by it. Humanism is usually just religion for wimps or atheism for the uncommitted or the other way around.

I've never met a humanist that couldn't keep their nose out of religion. I wish they'd create their own festivals and keep their noses out of established ones.

I don't believe we have met. I think the genuinely thoughtful atheist who liked my comment has met me. I usually don't comment, as this sort of bitterness, happens so much. I thought perhaps with goodwill we could share joy no matter what out belief system (humanism is not a religion), not try to keep it to ourselves or a limited group, but sadly it seems not. Yes, I did use information from other sources to inform my own, as everyone does. That is how knowledge and understanding is developed and passed on in all cultures.
Like many other orgers seem to have done recently, I should remember not to bother posting on such things.
Kind regards
kate

oldmarine
25-Apr-11, 14:57
I remember what I was taught about the 1st Easter (the arising of the dead Christ), but I have learned about so many other beliefs about easter since then. I believe I will go along with the teachings from my youth. They are much more pleasant and understanding to me.

bekisman
25-Apr-11, 16:19
Noticed on Saturday in Tesco Wick there were over 3 million easter eggs.. today saw a couple of dozen - where do they go, as thought chocolate got a white coating after a while?

silverlady
25-Apr-11, 17:34
Yes, A Very Happy Easter to one and all !

God gave His only begotten Son for us..........may we always remember the true meaning of this very special day.

Amen - He is risen!!!

theone
25-Apr-11, 17:51
Easter is determined by a lunar calendar triggered by the Spring Equinox in the standard (solar) one, that's why it jumps around from year to year. It would make more sense to use a periodic lunar calendar, but tradition is stronger than today's global committees.

Tradition has always been stronger than committees wishing to change things, it's not a modern thing. It's easier to bend your story to make it fit other peoples traditions than try to change their viewpoint completely.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the easter festival, in the sense of Christianity, was timed to replace the old festivals signalling the coming of spring used by most ancient civilisations. Hence why its based on the equinox, and why eggs and bunny rabbits remain in the festival in similar way to christmas trees in winter.

It was easier for the early catholic church to get people on their side if they allowed them to keep their holidays, festivals and traditions. They would never have become so popular if they stopped everyones parties!

brandy
25-Apr-11, 18:15
*laughs* symmetry i know that.. but trying to explain it to an 8 year old is a bit harder.. i just told him that it depended on the moon.. if it was full or not.. and where it was in the month.. that it was just the way they told time a long time ago and part of the tradition..

Dadie
25-Apr-11, 22:23
Aye and death is hard enough to explain to wee ones without the reserection...why not put him in a bath (snails) or a cozy place like the radiator (hamsters)or was he dead like the mice and birdies Frodo takes home...omg it was a nightmare of questions...now if anyone dies.. god help me...they will be expected to be soaked in a bath and bunged on the radiator for 3 nights before anyone believes they are not coming back!
Decorating and rolling eggs was the easy part!

bekisman
25-Apr-11, 22:42
Lol! She didn't say it, she copied it from one of literally hundreds of places that contain exactly the same wish washy excuses for nothingness.

Oh you are awful secrets in symmetry, but I like you...

Yes it's quite correct, I personally know the lady in question who gave a Humanist service for a close friend at Inverness Crematorium - I think you missed the "So let's share the joy of springtime with all humankind. not claim it as only belonging to one belief system." my own personal beliefs - or lack of em, has nothing to do with it.. relax and take it for what it is.

And no, I ain't fooled, it was purely a gesture of friendship to a very thoughtful and sensitive person who was very supportive at a particular time..

And anyway have YOU any ideas where those bloody Easter eggs went in Tesco's?

PS I like your signature..

Dadie
25-Apr-11, 22:55
The easter eggs in tesco either went at the random time they priced them down to £1 ea or when they put them backstore for staff to get them at an donation price..
Or were donated to different places for fundraising efforts at cost.

marwill
25-Apr-11, 23:04
I have to disagree with you Bekisman re your post #21, I cannot say I like secrets in symmetry signature, I would say their 'resurrection and light' went out a long time ago. Like you I too know the lady in question, and no way did she go into any other person's religion. The service she gave for my friend last year was personal and very moving. She found out more about her and gave an accurate account of her life and was a genuine person, far more than some religious persons I have known in the past.
Well said Happy Humanist (Kate) I couldn't agree with you more. Happy Easter, Happy Springtime.

bekisman
25-Apr-11, 23:23
I have to disagree with you Bekisman re your post #21, I cannot say I like secrets in symmetry signature, I would say their 'resurrection and light' went out a long time ago. Like you I too know the lady in question, and no way did she go into any other person's religion. The service she gave for my friend last year was personal and very moving. She found out more about her and gave an accurate account of her life and was a genuine person, far more than some religious persons I have known in the past.
Well said Happy Humanist (Kate) I couldn't agree with you more. Happy Easter, Happy Springtime.

It was said with as much genuineness as Dick Emery, so relax marwill!

marwill
26-Apr-11, 00:06
It was said with as much genuineness as Dick Emery, so relax marwill!

Oh you are old enough to remember Dick Emery too Bekisman:lol:

bekisman
26-Apr-11, 21:33
Oh you are old enough to remember Dick Emery too Bekisman:lol:

If you were a bit older, you'd know I was referring to the crusty pensioner James Maynard Kitchener Lampwick, and Mandy, a busty peroxide blonde whose catchphrase, "Ooh, you are awful ... but I like you!" ( given in response to a seemingly innocent remark made by her interlocutor, but perceived by her as ribald double entendre)..

Oh you youngsters,

secrets in symmetry
27-Apr-11, 23:52
I don't believe we have met. I think the genuinely thoughtful atheist who liked my comment has met me. I usually don't comment, as this sort of bitterness, happens so much. I thought perhaps with goodwill we could share joy no matter what out belief system (humanism is not a religion), not try to keep it to ourselves or a limited group, but sadly it seems not. Yes, I did use information from other sources to inform my own, as everyone does. That is how knowledge and understanding is developed and passed on in all cultures.
Like many other orgers seem to have done recently, I should remember not to bother posting on such things.
Kind regards
kate
You copied most of your post from other websites without crediting them. This is against the forum rules and is not what everyone does.

This thread is (or was) about the Christian Easter, which is a Christian festival in case you hadn't noticed. It's not about etymological oneupmanship, nor is it about celebrating Spring.

Why don't you start some Humanist festivals if you are feeling left out? I suggest Synthetic Piety Day or Atheism for Wimps week. Should you bother posting on such threads, or is it just too much effort when those who believe in something don't collapse with admiration at your feet?

pmcd
28-Apr-11, 01:44
Wasn't there someone in Christian writing who went and looked for a lost sheep: someone who told the tale of the prodigal son: someone who was at pains to include all of mankind in the reckoning, not just Christians? So if someone who celebrates springtime and happens not to be a Christian is a good and kind and moral person, how and why should that person be excluded and sent elsewhere to celebrate? And why, in a thread called Happy Easter do we find negative and unkind comments which do the writer no favours at all?

By the way, don't you realise how pompous you sound - "this is against forum rules". How about crediting "I am the Resurrection and I am the Light". Some people may not know its provenance. And some perhaps not even the spirit in which it was meant.

Back to the point. I forgive you. Happy Easter!

Mystical Potato Head
28-Apr-11, 11:38
How sad and pathetic it is when a Happy Easter thread turns into bitching...Nice that it shows the true colours of a couple of Orgers who have very large opinions of themselves and their beliefs though.
Little wonder so many leave.

bekisman
28-Apr-11, 12:15
pmcd ref his signature; maybe, just maybe, he's achieved his ambition, which he's been trying really hard at for months: "If I manage to create my own Universe, I will be its God. "

So in reality his siggy may not be too far out...

pmcd
28-Apr-11, 12:21
Yebbut - I think someone else has the copyright on that one. (Yes, I know copyright only lasts 70 years, but we're talking immortal here!). All that notwithstanding, a belated Happy Easter to ALL!

Now all we've got to do is get through the next swathe of public holidays!

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-11, 00:57
pmcd ref his signature; maybe, just maybe, he's achieved his ambition, which he's been trying really hard at for months: "If I manage to create my own Universe, I will be its God. "

So in reality his siggy may not be too far out...I'm still working on it beks, but it seems that new baby universes may not observable, so I'm wondering what the point would be.