PDA

View Full Version : Wearing the kilt

chrisupyonder
23-Apr-11, 04:11
I wore my kilt all day on 6th April as it was international tartan day. I was out and about in Thurso but saw no one else wearing a kilt.
I am 65 and have lived in Caithness for 14 years and my grandchildren were born here but I have only recently taken to wearing a kilt with a tweed jacket, proper hose and flashes (not white, dark green or navy blue) and black brogues (not gillie brogues). I don't want to look like a highland shop manikin.
I am a member of the Clan MacLaren Society and have just ordered a new kilt in MacLaren ancient tartan from McAllans.
The MacLaren name was derived from Labhran (Laurin) of Ardveche, the hereditary Abbot of Achtus in Balquhidder in the 13th Century.
Major family groups include MacLaren, Law, Lowe, and Lowery, including
all variant spellings.
My surname is one of the names in this group.

I am also in the process of becoming a member of The Scottish Tartans Authority.
Who are a registered Scottish Charity with the major objective of promoting a deeper knowledge of Scottish Tartans, their origins, manufacture, use, history and development and we study, record and stimulate research on the subject.

The wearing of the kilt is now very popular in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand among those with Scottish ancestry and many wear the kilt daily for work and play.
But I rarely see a kilt in Caithness except on very special occasions. I know the wind in Caithness can be a problem but nothing a few bits of lead shot sewn into the hem won't cure and have been told by McAllans that their 16oz fabric from the Lockcarron mill will withstand the wind, which is what I have ordered.

I used to visit an old local farmer who was over 80 years old (who passed away a few years ago) who wore a kilt very often but had seen it very much in decline over the last 50 years to be replaced by the american gold miners aparrel which is now worn by over 90% of the population both male and female.

What do you good people on this forum think?
Should the kilt be worn more often by more people?
The kilt being worn here by overseas visitors of Scottish origins?
The kilt being worn by people of non-Scottish origins?
Kilts of a plain/non-tartan fabric? (McAllans can do one in black or tweed)
Kilts of other than Scottish tartans such as Galicia in northern Spain who are of Celtic origins and also have a tradition of kilts?

Please note, this is for research puposes only and I have no connection with McAllans other than a customer.

canadagirl
23-Apr-11, 06:15
There isn't a little icon thingy for what my eyebrows are doing! I'm thinking if an overseas visitor of scottish origins turned up in caithness wearing a kilt they would no fit in with the locals.
I do see them worn in canada but mostly by young guys as a statement, and ladies of a certain age at funerals. Well, apart from the pipers and caber tossers!

Gronnuck
23-Apr-11, 08:12
The wearing of the kilt is now very popular in the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand among those with Scottish ancestry and many wear the kilt daily for work and play.

The kilt is more popular in those countries because they are relatively 'young' countries and many of their people feel the need for some romanticised affiliation to e' auld countree. It's a nonsense of course but don't tell them that because we want them to visit and spend their money here.
This reminds me of a conversation I overheard on the Castle esplanade in Edinburgh some thirty years ago. A group of North American tourists were standing looking over the wall at Princes Street and one lady said to the other, "Aww it's so nice that they built the castle next to such pretty gardens." :lol:

theone
23-Apr-11, 08:28

Only if they want to!

Only if they want to.

But I do remember seeing an American family visiting Germany where the parents had dressed up their boys in the lederhosen/waistcoats/hats and girls in dirndls. I overeheard more than one local saying they looked ridiculous.

Definately. But only if they want to. My English friend who now lives up here got married in a kilt last year.

I like the modern tartans and alternative material kilts. Tradition is all well and good, but there's no reason why we can't move with the times and fashions.

Kilts of other than Scottish tartans such as Galicia in northern Spain who are of Celtic origins and also have a tradition of kilts?

I'm quite indifferent to that. Each to their own, if you like it, wear it.

squidge
23-Apr-11, 09:29
My husband wears the kilt at every available opportunity. He loves his kilt and wears it with hose boots and a t shirt for going to the pub, with a beautiful White shirt which he bought in India for going out for dinner, with a ghillie shirt or jacket for weddings. Our friends are the same. If there are several of us going out then there are several guys in kilts and t shirts. They always always get complimented here in Inverness.
When we got married my husband, best man and the guy officiating wore plaids or filimores(sp?). It's been worn several times since. It's fun to watch them put it on. At the wedding my dad wore a kilt with a tweed jacket and looked
marvellous. He was 72 and had never worn one before. My brother in law and several guests from Lancashire wore kilts and loved the whole thing.

We are going again to France in a couple of years and the kilt will go with us. It raised a few eyebrows in Brittany last time we were there but it's fun, starts conversations off and has even raised a cheer. Fab

I think it's great to see the kilt worn for every day.

Beat Bug
23-Apr-11, 09:58
Try as I might, I can't get my husband to wear a kilt, even though he has strong Scottish ancestry. Says his legs are all wrong! I'd wear mine again if I could fit into it.

Walter Ego
23-Apr-11, 16:21
Wear what you want.

But try not to look like some of the awful parodies you see in foreign places........(see lederhosen comment above)....

chrisupyonder
23-Apr-11, 18:32
Thank you all, very interesting. Keep posting please.

oldmarine
23-Apr-11, 22:17
I wore my kilt all day on 6th April as it was international tartan day. I was out and about in Thurso but saw no one else wearing a kilt.
I am 65 and have lived in Caithness for 14 years and my grandchildren were born here but I have only recently taken to wearing a kilt with a tweed jacket, proper hose and flashes (not white, dark green or navy blue) and black brogues (not gillie brogues). I don't want to look like a highland shop manikin.
I am a member of the Clan MacLaren Society and have just ordered a new kilt in MacLaren ancient tartan from McAllans.
The MacLaren name was derived from Labhran (Laurin) of Ardveche, the hereditary Abbot of Achtus in Balquhidder in the 13th Century.
Major family groups include MacLaren, Law, Lowe, and Lowery, including
all variant spellings.
My surname is one of the names in this group.

I am also in the process of becoming a member of The Scottish Tartans Authority.
Who are a registered Scottish Charity with the major objective of promoting a deeper knowledge of Scottish Tartans, their origins, manufacture, use, history and development and we study, record and stimulate research on the subject.

But I rarely see a kilt in Caithness except on very special occasions. I know the wind in Caithness can be a problem but nothing a few bits of lead shot sewn into the hem won't cure and have been told by McAllans that their 16oz fabric from the Lockcarron mill will withstand the wind, which is what I have ordered.

I used to visit an old local farmer who was over 80 years old (who passed away a few years ago) who wore a kilt very often but had seen it very much in decline over the last 50 years to be replaced by the american gold miners aparrel which is now worn by over 90% of the population both male and female.

What do you good people on this forum think?

Please note, this is for research puposes only and I have no connection with McAllans other than a customer.

I remember a gentleman in Castletown who wore his kilt regularly. He wore it proudly and looked good in it. He was a hotel proprieter. Can't remember his name.

golach
23-Apr-11, 22:47
Many Caithnessians do not consider themselves as Highlanders, but more akin to the Norsemen and Vikings, maybe this is the reason for lack of kilts in the streets up there.
I have a kilt outfit, but I only wear it for dress occasions and I have worn it in Caithness, its second outing. I wear it with pride, my Clan has 3 different Tartans.
I live in Auld Reekie where every second shop on the Royal Mile is a Tartan Tat shop all owned by a Sikh mafia selling things they call kilts made in Taiwan and selling at approx. £40 a garment, where as my outfit cost over £600.00, but mine was woven in Peebles of Scottish Wool. I would never think of using it for everyday wear, but when I do wear it I feel 10 feet tall.

Torvaig
24-Apr-11, 00:57
I remember a gentleman in Castletown who wore his kilt regularly. He wore it proudly and looked good in it. He was a hotel proprieter. Can't remember his name.

That would be Sandy Ross; I was talking to him just a few weeks ago. He also has the beard which makes him look very much the authentic highlander!

chrisupyonder
24-Apr-11, 01:47
Thank you Golach.

I live in Auld Reekie where every second shop on the Royal Mile is a Tartan Tat shop all owned by a Sikh mafia selling things they call kilts made in Taiwan and selling at approx. £40 a garment, where as my outfit cost over £600.00, but mine was woven in Peebles of Scottish Wool. I would never think of using it for everyday wear, but when I do wear it I feel 10 feet tall.
End quote

My sentiments exactly. My clan also have 3 tartans, modern, ancient and weathered. I am going for the ancient first but over the next 2 years will get the other 2. I don't mind paying for good quality knowing it is made to measure and will fit correctly and from a Scottish mill will last a lifetime. I just hope the people buying these cheap kilts will realize after 6 months that they are rubbish but will be still be wanting a kilt, then go out and buy a proper one.

I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and looked in some of these shops, not impressed at all.

jock leith
24-Apr-11, 01:53
I now live in New Zealand and am really proud of the fact that my fellow NZ's are really into their Scottish roots.I have seen more Pipe Bands etc over here than all the years I lived in Wick and other parts of the UK.I love going to our annual A&P show as it reminds me of Wick Gala week,with highland dancing,Pipe Bands etc,Burns day is also celebrated in the Pubs with people encouraged to attend with Scottish dress the norm.
Lots of people that I speak to, would really love to visit Scotland to see where their families came from,but like lots of people money is an issue,I think its great to see so many locals who celebrate their Scottish heritage.