PDA

View Full Version : A Scary Statistic

Jeid
07-Sep-06, 17:48
" In January the Learning and Skills Council found that 16% of the teenagers it interviewed believed they would become famous, probably by appearing on a show like Big Brother. Many of them saw this as a better prospect than obtaining qualifications; 11% of them, it found, were "sitting around 'waiting to be discovered' ". The council claimed that the probability of being chosen by Big Brother and of becoming rich and famous as a result is 30 million to one. But the promise held out to us is that it can happen to anyone. The teenagers seemed to believe it can happen to everyone.

And this is surely how much of our economy now works. A vast industry is devoted to selling people images of themselves that bear no relation to reality. The most obvious of these (this is hardly an original point) is the celebration of extreme thinness just as childhood obesity becomes an epidemic."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1806790,00.html

Do you think we're all waiting to get famous? Would you like to be famous.. and why/why not?

pultneytooner
07-Sep-06, 18:04
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1806790,00.html

Do you think we're all waiting to get famous? Would you like to be famous.. and why/why not?
Most on these shows are a bunch of freaks albeit some become rich freaks at the end of it all.

percy toboggan
07-Sep-06, 18:11
I'd much rather be a moderately solvent nonentity than a 'rich freak'
I'm sure you would too pult.
16% of teenagers are obviously deluding themselves and are devoid of any grasp on reality. Nowt new for teens eh? I remember the period well 1964-70. No big brother then, just two big sisters who got married and upped sticks.

Ojibwa
07-Sep-06, 18:14
I agree that reality shows such as big brother, x factor, newlyweds, etc and so called celebrities like Paris Hilton do influence today's youth. On nearly all these audition shows when asked Why do you want to do this ? they reply because I want to be famous. I think the image and lifestyle of these celebs are very appealing to young people, however I do not think they are always positive role models.

orkneylass
07-Sep-06, 21:30
It seems to be human nature to distort the odds to suit you - like the people who say they won't stop smoking because they could be hit by a bus tomorrow....hmmm. Why not just stay indoors????

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Sep-06, 21:37
Fame is the new Ker Plunk

Ye could ask a kid in the 70's what dae ye want......Ker Plunk

Ye ask now.............fame!!!!

Although Dave fae Slades hairdresser might argue:lol:

To answer yer question Jeid.....I don't want fame I'm a Ker Plunk addict :lol: