PDA

View Full Version : ticks on ponies - help please

hilltopcattery
21-Apr-11, 21:18
Hi
We have recently found ticks on our Shetland ponies. We didn't have tick problems where we used to live so have no previous experience of this. Please can anyone help with suggestions on how to get rid of them/ avoid them or is there any way we can control them on the fields? Vet has suggested spot on for cattle and sheep which we will try but I'd really appreciate any advice or information anyone can give
Thanks

alison.c
21-Apr-11, 21:48
I found a tick on my Newforest pony a couple of weeks back. You can buy a thingy from the vets to pull it off with but i didn't have one at the time and didn't want to pull the tick incase i left it's head in. I covered the tick in thick vaseline to prevent it from breathing and it dropped of within a couple of hours. I use 10ml of spot on for my horses, not sure about shetlands though as they're small but i'm sure the vet would have said how much to use.

leodhas01
21-Apr-11, 22:08
I used switch which you can get for the vets, thats mainly for horses, you put it along the mane and base of the back with the bottle of if you have a syringe you can get deeper into the skin. It's quite good and would only need applied every 2 weeks or so. Surgical spirits is quite good aswell, if you put it on a cloth and wipe over where the tick is it suffocates the tick and they just fall out.

chaz
21-Apr-11, 22:14
nail varnish works also

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Apr-11, 11:54
Hey Hilltop Cattery - at Hilltop Horse & Country - we have Tick Lasso's in stock - I can drop one off to you in the morning - (ps was me with rugs before) cheers Mairi Anne

donnick
22-Apr-11, 16:31
I used spoton to

hilltopcattery
26-Apr-11, 14:11
Thank you to everyone for help. Spot on and Tick hook working really well