PDA

View Full Version : job advert

donnick
21-Apr-11, 19:36
I have noticed a job advertsed on the org am i right in think that its agest ???? I may be wrong whats your view
Full Time Office Junior required for busy bakery. Must be between 16 -18 years of age

Dadie
21-Apr-11, 19:39
Think its like a training scheme type thing.. where the employee gets a nominal wage and a "certificate" to show they have a svq at the end of it.

Tubthumper
21-Apr-11, 19:40
SVQ Level 7... That's worth having!

grumpyhippo
21-Apr-11, 19:45
'Full Time Office Junior Must be between 16 -18 years of age'

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I thought you were not allowed to discriminate on grounds of age.

donnick
21-Apr-11, 19:49
yeh thats what i though surly if your capable u can apply at any age ??

Red
21-Apr-11, 19:58
my nephew was in a similar job down south - they were paid £2.50 per hour and got a certificate of something terribly exciting at the end of 2 years slave labour. Lovely way of avoiding minimal wage payments...

starfish
21-Apr-11, 20:17
my nephew was in a similar job down south - they were paid £2.50 per hour and got a certificate of something terribly exciting at the end of 2 years slave labour. Lovely way of avoiding minimal wage payments...

thats it want a full day work for peanuts £3.45 for a 16 year old or £2.50 a appentice in their first year

Vistravi
21-Apr-11, 21:16
It's a practice all round. supermarkets have always been keen to take on under 18's so they have staff for less money. Supermarkets also know that it is under 18's who would have usually no family commitments to affect their availabilty to work. They also can do a high staff turnover as there are always more youngsters wanting a job when the ones they have leave.

Pure and simple hiring the younger staff ensures less money paid into wages for the company.

Spongeboab
21-Apr-11, 23:51
without wanting to sound like an old fud ...

there is more value to working at 16 than simply earning a wage

it provides experience (work and life), can improve confidence, provides references and teaches the young how to budget a minimal wage.

a vacancy asking for someone aged 16-18 is simply looking for a young person to give them an opportunity

it must be frustrating when you've lots of experience and see jobs asking for youngsters, but most of us needed a chance like this once upon a time ...

starfish
21-Apr-11, 23:54
without wanting to sound like an old fud ...

there is more value to working at 16 than simply earning a wage

it provides experience (work and life), can improve confidence, provides references and teaches the young how to budget a minimal wage.

a vacancy asking for someone aged 16-18 is simply looking for a young person to give them an opportunity

it must be frustrating when you've lots of experience and see jobs asking for youngsters, but most of us needed a chance like this once upon a time ...
i understand what you are saying but some companies only keep the youngster on while the get help from the goverment to take on a youngster . Then they lay them off i know this happens as it happen to me

Spongeboab
22-Apr-11, 00:28
i understand what you are saying but some companies only keep the youngster on while the get help from the goverment to take on a youngster . Then they lay them off i know this happens as it happen to me

there are laws against this, employers aren't in the habit of spending time and money to train somone to do a job only to lay them off with no reason ...

if you got laid off for no reason then you have a legitimate course of recompense. if however, your traineeship (get ready for work etc) came to an end, then use that experience and knowledge to look elsewhere for work.

my best advice would be to stop looking in Caithness for work, get into hospitality, live in jobs all over the uk and europe, get outta here !

starfish
22-Apr-11, 00:31
why should i move out of caithness i love it here its my home

Spongeboab
22-Apr-11, 00:45
quite right, you've got a choice, stay here and have your job options limited, or move, see the world, have a ball and live a life that Caithness will never be able to offer you ... (you can always come back)

starfish
22-Apr-11, 00:53
quite right, you've got a choice, stay here and have your job options limited, or move, see the world, have a ball and live a life that Caithness will never be able to offer you ... (you can always come back)

life is what you make it i am happy here in work and do live life to the full

Spongeboab
22-Apr-11, 01:08
good on you
sorry, but i mistakenly picked up a bit of bitterness re: employers from your earlier post

imho doing 'time' outside Caithness should be compulsory at the age of 20 if they haven't gone already

you wouldn't be allowed back until you ticked at least 20 out of my 30 stringent criteria (25 if you're orkneycadian)

donnick
22-Apr-11, 16:22
well thank god ur no the prime minister spongebob as i love caithness, not everyone wants to see the bright light big city i love the peace and quite of caithness the trust i have in my neighbors and the great friends i have .if i want to see the world i can take a holiday to see it .each to their own .we aint all the same thank god .
PS i am thanking god an awful lot what that all about :lol:
but yes i under stand givng the young kids a chance .but just thought it was illegal to advertise a job with age in it

theone
24-Apr-11, 09:51
I have noticed a job advertsed on the org am i right in think that its agest ???? I may be wrong whats your view
Full Time Office Junior required for busy bakery. Must be between 16 -18 years of age

I've no idea of the legalities, but my view is that age discrimination laws should not apply for training schemes and apprenticeships.

SVQ Level 7... That's worth having!

I'm pretty sure they mean an SCQF level 7, similar to advance highers at school or an HNC/SVQ level 3. If an SVQ level 5 is equivalent to a masters degree, a level 7 must be on a par with a nobel prize!

brandy
24-Apr-11, 10:47
one thing i dont agree with over here and i think the american system is better about.. (btw theres not many things i think america has better) is that every one no matter the age is on the same pay scale.
and raises are earned by seniority and job satisfaction. the longer you work and the harder you work the more you will be rewarded.
just because of your age you are not paid less or more. ever one starts at a base min, wage and then you can climb that ladder.

golach
24-Apr-11, 10:59

The £2.50 an hour rate is for first year apprentices, see the link for the other rates, I was paid £2.50 a week when I started work and thought I was lucky.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/TheNationalMinimumWage/DG_10027201