PDA

View Full Version : Paypal phishing scam

Liz
07-Sep-06, 14:59
I received an email today which looked like it was from Paypal confirming payment received for a commando knife I had supposedly bought!

I was worried so checked my Paypal Account and thankfully the transaction wasn't there so knew then that it was a scam.

I checked a website www.millersmiles.co.uk (http://www.millersmiles.co.uk) which gives useful info on scams.

These phishing scams come in all guises so be very wary!

Naefearjustbeer
07-Sep-06, 15:06
I never respond to any emails that appear from ebay or paypal. I only ever login to my account from the proper website address. Also is is handy to forward any emails to spoof@paypal.com and spoof@ebay.co.uk . they will reply pretty quickly to confirm that the emails were fake.

Liz
07-Sep-06, 15:10
I haver received quite a few which were supposedly from Banks and Building Societies as well. Some I don't even have an account with which is a bit of a giveaway!

oldmarine
07-Sep-06, 15:22
I received an email today which looked like it was from Paypal confirming payment received for a commando knife I had supposedly bought!

I was worried so checked my Paypal Account and thankfully the transaction wasn't there so knew then that it was a scam.

I checked a website www.millersmiles.co.uk (http://www.millersmiles.co.uk) which gives useful info on scams.

Liz, thank you for the warning. I have used Paypal and it's good to know about the possibility of phishing scams.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Sep-06, 15:24
I get about 2 or 3 of these emails most weeks, All pretending to be from ebay or paypal. Blooming pest some of them look quite genuine. Be carefull folks remember no reputable email would be asking for you to confirm your login details. They already know your login details so they wouldnt ask for them would they.

oldmarine
07-Sep-06, 15:33
I get about 2 or 3 of these emails most weeks, All pretending to be from ebay or paypal. Blooming pest some of them look quite genuine. Be carefull folks remember no reputable email would be asking for you to confirm your login details. They already know your login details so they wouldnt ask for them would they.

Enjoyed viewing your website. In particular the photo of your children. They are cute and you can be proud.

sharon
07-Sep-06, 16:11
i had the same a few motns ago, do i contacted paypal and checked my account and there wasnt any details of this transaction, this is what payal had to say ( hope its ok to cut and paste this reply i got!)
Thank you for contacting PayPal about a fraudulent (spoof) email or Web
site. We appreciate you bringing this suspicious email to our attention.

We can confirm that the email you received was not sent by PayPal. Any
website which may be linked to this email is not authorized or used by
PayPal.

Our fraud prevention team is working to disable any website linked to
this email. In the meantime, please do not enter any information into
this website. If you have already done so, you should immediately log
into your PayPal account and change your password, as well as your
security questions and answers. We also recommend that you contact your
bank and credit card company immediately.

Please follow the instructions below to report an unauthorized
transaction associated with your PayPal account:

If you are able to log into your PayPal account:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com
2. Select the "Resolution Center" subtab.
3. Click "Open a dispute."
4. Select "Unauthorized transaction," then click "Continue."
5. Enter or select the transaction ID for the transaction you would like
to dispute, then click "Continue."
6. Complete the report for Unauthorized Use on a PayPal Account, then
click "Continue."
7. Confirm that the claim is correct, then click "Submit."

If you cannot log in to your account, follow the instructions below to
report an unauthorized transaction associated with your PayPal account:

1. Go to https://www.paypal.com/
2. Click on the "Security Center" link located at the bottom of any
page.
3. Under the "Report a Problem" column, click on "Unauthorized
Transaction."
4. Click "Continue" under "Unable to log in?"
5. Confirm that the transaction in question is unauthorized then click
"Continue."
6. Complete the report for Unauthorized Use on a PayPal Account, then
click "Preview."
7. Confirm that the claim is correct, then click "Submit."
8. Confirm your account ownership by entering the financial information
requested, then click "Continue."

Lastly, we recommend taking a few steps to protect yourself from
identity theft:

1. Download the SafetyBar, a toolbar for Outlook and Outlook Express,
which identifies known spoof emails.
2. Get eBay Toolbar with Account Guard which warns you when you're on a
potentially fraudulent (spoof) Web site.
3. Sign up for Equifax Credit Alerts for PayPal Users, a program that
provides an early warning detection system in the event of identity
theft. Find out more by visiting the PayPal Identity Protection Center
at www.paypal.com/idprotection.
4. Frequently monitor your PayPal account for suspicious activity.

For additional tips please visit the PayPal Security Center at
https://www.paypal.com/security.

teritoots
07-Sep-06, 16:54
I just tried your website and got instantly warned of a trojan trying to install from your website??

George Brims
07-Sep-06, 17:06
I always forward those things to the "spoof@" addresses. Embarassingly, one of them turned out to be a genuine notice from eBay!

Naefearjustbeer
07-Sep-06, 21:54
I always forward those things to the "spoof@" addresses. Embarassingly, one of them turned out to be a genuine notice from eBay!
I did the same with a paypal one. Better safe than sorry though.

engiebenjy
07-Sep-06, 22:26

I received the same email a couple of weeks ago - didn't open anything in it, but I reported it to paypal straight away, and they confirmed it was fraudulent. Also a good idea to change all your passwords when this happens.

Naefearjustbeer
07-Sep-06, 22:40
As long as you havent clicked on the links embedded in the email and tried to sign in I think your passwords will be safe. I used to get the ebay and paypal scam emails before I even used the sites. They send them out to loads of folk irrespective of the fact that you might not actually have ebay and paypal accounts.

newpark
08-Sep-06, 08:16
I never respond to any emails that appear from ebay or paypal. I only ever login to my account from the proper website address. Also is is handy to forward any emails to spoof@paypal.com and spoof@ebay.co.uk . they will reply pretty quickly to confirm that the emails were fake.

Totally agree any emails that come to my bt account are sent straight to spoof. I only ever reply to messages sent to my actual ebay in box.

badger
08-Sep-06, 10:29
Totally agree any emails that come to my bt account are sent straight to spoof. I only ever reply to messages sent to my actual ebay in box.

It's usually fairly obvious what are spoof emails because they are phishing. I use ebay and paypal a lot and therefore get genuine emails - payment receipts from paypal which I keep and emails from ebay sellers that I've contacted or notifications of favourite sellers etc. These are not spoofs so if you send everything to spoof you're probably sending them genuine ones as well.

Getting loads of phishing emails from banks just now, especially Bank of Scotland who tell me they don't send out the usual warning response that other banks do or like the paypal one quoted. Thought that was bad as there are still people who fall for these things and then might wonder what to do.