PDA

View Full Version : Warning of scam phone call

lulu87
21-Apr-11, 10:05
Everyone BEWARE of what sounds like a call centre phoning you saying that they are from Windows and that they have had error reports sent to them from your computer. They will try to talk you through clearing corrupt files but it is a HUGE SCAM and they are trying to get access to your computer remotely into all of your files and then will try to charge you for what they think they are giving as "Advice" over the phone.
They have obviously picked our dialling code now 01955 or 01847 and they will phone through all the numbers in the phone book so spread the word and dont fall for it.

Hoida
28-Apr-11, 11:41
Had them on the phone yesterday but OH answered and said just hang on a minute and I will get my wife as she is the one who uses the pc alas I was out for the afternoon so don't know how long he hung on for!

annemarie482
30-Apr-11, 19:41
i had same call today, i hung up on him before he finished his first sentance.
not falling for that crap, if theres something wrong with my computer, it'll be me that does the calling! lol

Rhandy
18-May-11, 03:30
I got the same thing here in Australia about 3 weeks ago. Didn't get me either.

SunnyChick
28-May-11, 12:45
I had a call like that yesterday - I swore at them, hopefully they won't call back.

toffee_pie
31-May-11, 15:11
lol
nice one sunny.. :p

bod1403
03-Jun-11, 11:49
Another one going around is someone pretending to be from BT offering cheap deals. They phoned my elderly friend 5 times the other day & each time got more abusive. Luckily she is of strong character & in the end left him to talk to himself - he hasn't phoned since but would have been very distressing for some elderly people. Please warn your "Oldys"

andrew.bowles30
09-Jun-11, 18:16
yes i was called this morning about my computer having a virus he was from another country shall we say so i don't sound racist i said my son deals with my computer problems

pat
11-Jun-11, 09:41
Had them on the phone yesterday morning, asked for me by name, I said I was not the computer user but will get her to speak to you - handed phone over to a pal whose first language is Gaelic, he soon hung up.
This one was a male who sounded very deep south American accent, they needed to update my Windows application.

weezer 316
13-Jun-11, 12:11
Beware thoguh you might get one from BT if you are with them. I used to work on their abuse team when it was based in Thurso and we used to phone hundreds of people a week about this. If you do and the person has a Brummie accent then its likely genuine, as they now operate in Walsall

chef4celebrations
22-Jun-11, 08:18
i asked the for their number just incase we got cut off, but they refused point blank to give me their number.....lol shame beause i am sure the police
would have loved it....lol

pat
24-Jun-11, 15:02
Just had another phone call from them - this time it was Windows and a female. Told them I did not have a computer, they then asked if anyone else in the family did so I said no other member of the family in this house had a computer - she very quickly cut me off.
My pal who was in last time was also visiting this time so we had a good laugh about it but anyone who does not know about these scams could be easily taken in as this lady came on sounding very breathless and rushing as if it was very very important to quickly get the computer switched on and repaired!!!

Sairheed
28-Jun-11, 20:26
Had a couple of these this week from, I think, MSI - know of someone caught by this lot so cut them off - the number that called is 02533639006 - you may wish to bar this number.

braalterr903
30-Jun-11, 11:22
had one off these today just put phone down on them.

pat
05-Jul-11, 12:10
Have had 7 of these calls today - yes 7 and it is only mid-day, all with very foreign sounding accents! - 2 for computers, 3 banks saying my account was suspended, 1 investment saying one of my investments was performing very poorly and telling me to sell shares and they would then pay money into my bank account! , one from a guy telling me I had won a car but they needed the money for shipment today or they could not ship it of course I had to supply my bank info!!!
What scams are coming next - really pee-d off with answering the phone to these idiots. Pal whose number comes up as International knew there was something wrong because I did not answer the phone in my usual manner - a little bit snappy was how she delicately put it! I was just getting ready to tell them where to go politely of course.

Wanted
22-Jul-11, 11:21
I had one of these yesterday , i also had some last year, all i do as soon as i hear the words of microsoft..i just tell them to GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY, and put the phone down ...simple.

Tinkerbell09
04-Oct-11, 16:21
Had a post of something similar to this!

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?100085-*Warning*-quot-Tech-Support-quot-Calls