PDA

View Full Version : Allotments for Thurso NOW!

NickInTheNorth
20-Apr-11, 10:42
I know there was a post not too long ago from someone that claimed there was going to be allotments soon in Thurso - unfortunately that has come to nothing. So I have decided that as I would dearly love an allotment it was time to get off my backside and do soething about it.

As a preliminary step I have setup a new group on Facebook : Allotments for Thurso NOW (https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_198018800236305)

Please feel free to join the group.

I am planning an open meeting hopefully on the evening of 8th May, time and location to be arranged.

If we can get half a dozen people interested in an allotment then we should be able to get something sorted. I guess that realistically we are not going to get anything sorted for this growing season, but ought to be able to be up and running for next year.

I'll be getting information into the local papers, and would welcome people passing on details to anyone they know that does not use the internet.

I'll also get an address sorted that people can write to, and hopefully a phone number people can call to register their interest.

Anyone with any thoughts on land that may be available for use as allotments feel free to post on here or PM me.

NickInTheNorth
20-Apr-11, 17:18
Public meeting will be held at the Ormlie Centre on Sunday 8th May at 6.30pm for anyone interested in forming an allotment society with a view to getting the council to fulfil it's obligations to provide allotments if people show they want them

NickInTheNorth
27-Apr-11, 18:50
Would you like an
ALLOTMENT?

Currently there are no allotments in Thurso since the council allowed the previous allotment site to be built on. With the ever increasing cost of food largely due to the increasing cost of fuel more and more people see “growing their own” as an attractive proposition.

Allotments provide a whole host of benefits to society :

Promoting exercise and healthy lifestyles
Encouraging community interaction and participation
Providing educational opportunities
Creating green spaces
Encouraging biodiversity and habitats for wildlife
Utilising derelict and under utilised pieces of land
Helping to reduce ‘food miles’
Helping to reduce reliance on food grown with fertilizers / pesticides produced by the petro-chemical industry
Providing a destination for home produced compost – helping to further reduce landfill.

If enough people want to see allotments provided then the council “is obliged to acquire any suitable land which may be available- to be let as allotments to local residents.” (Allotments (Scotland) Act 1892)

So if you want to see allotments available to the people of Thurso please either:

Come to the meeting: at The Ormlie Centre, off Henderson Street, Thurso on Sunday 8th May starting at 6.30pm
Phone or text: with name and address to 07527053047

Or write to us :
Allotments for Thurso NOW!
c/o 81 Ironside Place
Thurso
KW14 7SN

email : allotments@thurso.org.uk

http://groups.to/thurso_allotments/