PDA

View Full Version : Just an archive at Dounreay?

John Little
18-Apr-11, 18:55
Parliamentary debates 5 April 2011

Paul Maynard (Blackpool North and Cleveleys) (Con): It is a pleasure to speak about the preservation of Britain’s built civil nuclear heritage, but I understand that the topic might at first seem rather obscure, if not obtuse, to many Members, and the timing peculiar. First, I must declare an interest as a member of the Twentieth Century Society, which campaigns to preserve examples of built heritage and modern architecture for future generations. I am not here to debate the merits or demerits of nuclear power—I am sure we will have plenty of debates on that in the months and years to come—but rather to draw the Government’s attention to the fact that as the decommissioning process for nuclear power stations begins, those buildings come to the end of their industrial usage and we have to consider whether we wish to preserve them for future generations.

There might be arguments about whether such buildings should be preserved. Those against nuclear power might wonder why anyone would wish to preserve a nuclear power station, but let me quote Tony Juniper of Friends of the Earth, who told The Sunday Times on 19 November 2006:

“We need to be reminded of the huge amounts of money they wasted and the radioactive legacy they left us. We should preserve these buildings as a monument to all that stupidity”.

Equally, those of us who are more positive about nuclear energy and think it still has a role to play might think that we should celebrate and protect examples of our world-leading role in developing civil nuclear power. It is often forgotten that we were at the forefront of developing the use of nuclear power for civil means. Just as Ironbridge and the Pontcysyllte aqueduct are examples of Britain’s greatness in the 17th and 18th centuries, Dounreay, Hinkley Point and Windscale, or Sellafield, are examples of our greatness in the 20th century. We need to retain that sense of heritage and it is vital that we debate what to do with them and understand their heritage value. They certainly have architectural value, but they also have a quite separate heritage value. As English Heritage’s 2006 report on our atomic age made clear:

“Nuclear installations due to their size have also created distinctive late 20th-century landscapes…The power station sites are overshadowed by the large rectangular architectural blocks of the reactor buildings and turbine halls which in turn dominate their usually low-lying coastal locations and often provide focal points in the landscape for many miles around”.

My experience, from living on the coast in Blackpool, is of walking out of my front door and being able to see the rectangular block of Heysham power station shining from 20 or 30 miles away across Morecambe bay. It is a major landmark in the local area. It does not quite compete with Blackpool tower, but it is certainly always on the horizon. We have to realise that in those communities the role of nuclear power has been not just one of environmental concern or energy production, but one of building communities. Places such as Sellafield and Dounreay have been major providers of jobs, and communities have sprung up out of nowhere. Just as many Opposition Members fiercely defend the interests of coalfield communities and the heritage of mining that has gone on for many years, we should not lose sight of the importance of the communities who have contributed to building our nuclear industry.

That is why it is vital to take notice of the current consultation process being carried out by the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority. In September 2010, it announced its initial intention that

“none of our facilities will be preserved for national heritage”.

On one level that is understandable, as one cannot divorce the heritage component of a nuclear power station for the obvious reason that it has a high degree of radiological risk associated with it. Take, for example, Trawsfynydd power station in north Wales, which was not listed, not because it had no architectural value—far from it, as it was designed by Sir Basil Spence, who designed Coventry cathedral—but because it was sitting on a toxic time bomb and the costs of preserving that toxic time bomb outweighed its architectural value. Conversely, Cadw, the Welsh heritage agency, has at least registered the equally notable garden by Dame Sylvia Crowe and the associated landscaping that surrounded the power station. That shows that we can preserve heritage not just by preserving something that is toxic or radiological but by understanding the wider heritage aspects.

That is why I welcome the fact that the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority has grudgingly conceded that a national nuclear archive will be established at Dounreay as part of its decommissioning process. I urge both Dounreay and the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority to consider fully what they mean by nuclear heritage and what they intend to retain in the archive. It must not merely hold photographs of the buildings, but provide an understanding of the lives of the people who built those power stations, made them a success and relied on them for their livelihoods. It is vital that the Department for Culture, Media and Sport has a coherent plan to protect them for future generations.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmdebate/20.htm

John Little
19-Apr-11, 15:07
Of course that a Member of the UK Parliament stood up in the House and said these things will be of absolutely no interest to the local paper in Caithness.

Now puppies trapped under fences - that's REAL news...

burstbucker
19-Apr-11, 15:17
The national archive is to be next to Wick Airport, not at Dounreay.

bekisman
19-Apr-11, 16:12
The national archive is to be next to Wick Airport, not at Dounreay.

Eh? So Paul Maynard was talking nonsense on the 5th April?

"That is why I welcome the fact that the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority has grudgingly conceded that a national nuclear archive will be established at Dounreay as part of its decommissioning process"

rich
19-Apr-11, 16:38
More and more this resembles an episode of YES MINISTER

John Little
19-Apr-11, 16:39
Well Rich.... Mr Maynard is a Tory...

bekisman
19-Apr-11, 16:42
More and more this resembles an episode of YES MINISTER

Ontario is not Japan, nuclear experts told a gathering at the Toronto Board of Trade on Wednesday.
"All Canadian nuclear power plants have been designed to withstand earthquakes, both the structures and safety systems are designed and built to seismic standards even though they are located in areas where major earthquakes and tsunami are not expected," said Denise Carpenter, president of the Canadian Nuclear Association.
"(Ontario) reactors are at sites where major earthquakes are not expected and the Great Lakes near which they are located are highly unlikely to produce a tsunami that would damage them. Even so, the reactors have been built to resist earthquakes stronger than those likely to occur in Ontario once in 1,000 years."

Phew! that's a relief

bekisman
19-Apr-11, 16:51
Well Rich.... Mr Maynard is a Tory...
Having cerebral palsy, and being diagnosed with epilepsy he's done blinking well AND (like me) he's tee-total, the blokes got to be respected..

John Little
19-Apr-11, 17:03
Well it's a statement in Parliament - I have been assuming that he's been briefed accurately. If he has not then somebody needs hauling over the coals.

On the other hand if what he says is accurate then it has interesting implications...

sids
19-Apr-11, 17:04
Having cerebral palsy, and being diagnosed with epilepsy he's done blinking well AND (like me) he's tee-total, the blokes got to be respected..

Is there a disability that makes you say Dounreay instead of Wick?

bekisman
19-Apr-11, 18:30
Well it's a statement in Parliament - I have been assuming that he's been briefed accurately. If he has not then somebody needs hauling over the coals.

On the other hand if what he says is accurate then it has interesting implications...

Hi john, could drop him an email; http://paulmaynard.co.uk/blog/our-new-office might know something new..?

bekisman
19-Apr-11, 18:33

I refer my honourable friend to the statement on #4

John Little
19-Apr-11, 18:39
Hi john, could drop him an email; http://paulmaynard.co.uk/blog/our-new-office might know something new..?

LOL! I already did - about 5 hours ago.

Torvaig
19-Apr-11, 18:43

Don't think so sids, but I presume that Paul Maynard would know better than any of us here as to where the archives are to be preserved. I'm sure I have read that there has been a change of plan in favour of Dounreay.

My apologies if Paul and I are proved to be wrong! ;)

bekisman
19-Apr-11, 18:46
LOL! I already did - about 5 hours ago.

forsoth sir, but not five minutes past I too!

John Little
19-Apr-11, 18:58
Well two is better than one Mr B so let's hope there's something in it. :)

bekisman
19-Apr-11, 19:16

Hmm, was in haste replying, but do you have a problem with 'disability'?

John Little
20-Apr-11, 19:06
http://dsg.navertechdns.co.uk/files/downloads/download1705.pdf

[url]http://dsg.navertechdns.co.uk/files/downloads/download1739.pdf

[/urlhttp://dsg.navertechdns.co.uk/files/downloads/download1738.pdf

orkneycadian
20-Apr-11, 19:18
I think they should make any archive available online, so its accessible to anyone, then there would be no reason not to bulldoze the site flat and put up more wind turbines on it!

John Little
20-Apr-11, 19:25
This is 4 months ago...

http://www.investcaithness.com/news/archive/nuclear-archive-for-wick-pledge

orkneycadian
20-Apr-11, 19:28
£15 million to build an archive? I hope the cost will be getting met by "private nuclear enthusiasts" and not from our collective public purse?

John Little
20-Apr-11, 19:29
Unless Mr Maynard has more up to date information, it would appear that he is mistaken in saying that the archives will be at Dounreay;

http://www.dounreaystakeholdergroup.org/files/downloads/download1723.pdf

John Little
20-Apr-11, 19:47
£15 million to build an archive? I hope the cost will be getting met by "private nuclear enthusiasts" and not from our collective public purse?

This is, of course, very understandable. Caithness is not worth spending the money on - it would be better spent in Orkney.

orkneycadian
20-Apr-11, 20:43
Nope - I would also baulk if I heard that £15m of public money was going to be spent on an archive of yesterdays technology in Orkney too.

Tough times, tough choices - No room for sentimentality in the current economic climate!

John Little
20-Apr-11, 20:46
That would rather depend on how many jobs it provided and how much money it put into the local economy. Infrastructure requires investment.

The big question is what return you get from it.

I take it you are not against archives per se?

Torvaig
21-Apr-11, 01:36
Unless Mr Maynard has more up to date information, it would appear that he is mistaken in saying that the archives will be at Dounreay;

http://www.dounreaystakeholdergroup.org/files/downloads/download1723.pdf

My apologies! Thanks for the most recent info John Little.

John Little
21-Apr-11, 07:35
My apologies! Thanks for the most recent info John Little.

Ah but Torvaig, if a week is a long time in Politics then a month is longer. The letter is 8 March but Mr Maynard was speaking on 5 April. This government hops about like a flea on a hot lid - it is entirely possible that circumstances have changed - which is what we would all, I think, like to know.

ducati
21-Apr-11, 21:16
This Government is way too busy stealing candy from babies and selling your grannys for candle wax to be bothered about all this. :mad: :lol:

John Little
21-Apr-11, 21:26
I say Duke! Be careful - they'll drum you out.

Bit bolshie that! :)