PDA

View Full Version : Partial Lunar Eclipse Tomorrow

Tugmistress
06-Sep-06, 10:56
On the evening of the 7th of September 2006, the full moon will rise partially eclipsed from the UK at about 7.55pm +/- depending how far east you are, the further east you are the earlier the moon will rise. Check your newspaper for moonrise times for you location

The northern limb of the moon will be in the umbral shadow of the Earth approx about 19% at max.

At about 8.37pm, the moon leaves the umbral shadow

At about 9.57pm, the moon leaves the penumbral shadow and the lunar eclipse will be over.

This full moon also occurs at perigee, so this full moon will be larger than the "average" full moon as it will be at its closest to Earth and as a consequence, it will be brighter than the "average" full moon.

Also Uranus will be close by to the ENE of the moon

Kingetter
07-Sep-06, 10:48
Thank you for keeping us updated on these events - maybe not everyone's particular interest, but it is all about 'our world' so to speak. Weather forecast?

Tugmistress
07-Sep-06, 11:35
for a change it may actually be visible, i am reckoning on 40 - 50% cloud cover as the moon rises tonight at just gone 8pm here, we may be lucky for a change and no it isn't going to be blowing a gale either :D

Kingetter
07-Sep-06, 11:44
That sounds hopeful then. Any use having a camera handy maybe?

Tugmistress
07-Sep-06, 14:49
i would say so yes, i am going to try for a shot anyway ;)

DrSzin
07-Sep-06, 20:16
I can see it right now. It's perfectly clear in Edinburgh and the moon looks huge.

I was waiting for a bit of cloud to clear at the edge of the moon - then I realised I was looking at the eclipsed part of it. Doh! :o

cuddlepop
07-Sep-06, 20:40
I think someone said the Ness river was the highest its been for 22 years.Clear Skye so hopefully we'll see it tonight.:D

DrSzin
07-Sep-06, 20:44
You're too late cuddlepop. The moon is full now.

Or are you talking about the River Ness?

Kenn
07-Sep-06, 22:10
Thanks Tugs, will have to check the times here as am a little further west than your location.
Shame it was n't tonight as there is a full Harvest Moon sailing across the sky as I write but I think there should be clear skies tomorrow as well.

"Slowly , silently now the moon walks the night in her silver shoon."

Moira
07-Sep-06, 22:18
Lizz - it was tonight - Tuggs posted this yesterday.

Saw it here when walking by the river tonight - Moon was immense - beautiful.

Tugmistress
08-Sep-06, 00:03
damn, i was busy elsewhere, and forgot to look, did anyone get pics of it?