PDA

View Full Version : wheelie bin confusion

elm136
14-Apr-11, 17:43
put my bins out today to find out they only take one bin per house hold..it was not that long ago we were told if we were to buy a extra bin from the council we could put it out and they would lift it !,now we have to recycle all were rubbish so the council can make money from it ,i think they should be paying us back money for all the wheelie bins which cant be used anymore now[evil]...this will only encourage fly tipping i think...

starfish
14-Apr-11, 18:05
i total agree with you and this council will only take some recycleable thing most plastic container can be recycle by other council they also collect glass bottles my recycle bin has only half a dozen things in it the rest has to go as normal rubbish what a joke half a job done by the council again

Walter Ego
14-Apr-11, 18:40
I think it's a good system.

Red
14-Apr-11, 20:48
I agree with Walter.

If you are filling your grey/black bin with rubbish you are obviously buying the wrong things, and not carefully chosing things which have minimal packaging, or packaging which can be recycled or reused. There was a great leaflet that came with the new blue recycling bins with all manner if ideas for reducing the amount of waste that is thrown away.

One of the reasons the council doesn't collect glass with the blue bins is that someone has to sort it by hand and the potential for being injured is quite high, the councils that do collect glass have separate receptacles for it.

Stack Rock
14-Apr-11, 21:20
It's always been council policy for 1 bin per household unless there are 6 residents whereby you get an extra bin. I'm convinced that the council don't make a profit on recycled waste when you take transport costs into consideration - probably costs us money. As far as I know they have to reduce the amount going into landfill otherwise they will get fined by the government - in other words we the tax payer will pay the penalty. So re-cycling will help reduce landfill.
If the council were making a profit on re-cycling I think we would hear as they would blow their own trumphet.
Why do you need 2 bins?

annemarie482
14-Apr-11, 21:31
I agree with Walter.

If you are filling your grey/black bin with rubbish you are obviously buying the wrong things, and not carefully chosing things which have minimal packaging, or packaging which can be recycled or reused. There was a great leaflet that came with the new blue recycling bins with all manner if ideas for reducing the amount of waste that is thrown away.

One of the reasons the council doesn't collect glass with the blue bins is that someone has to sort it by hand and the potential for being injured is quite high, the councils that do collect glass have separate receptacles for it.

i agree it is a good system just takes time to learn to adjust the way you deal with your waste.
my only wish would be that we could have glass bins too instead of having to drive them to keiss or wick to recycle.

NickInTheNorth
14-Apr-11, 21:34
also a shame that they don't collect the typical fruit juice carton which they collect at the recycling centres :(

balto
14-Apr-11, 22:07
put my bins out today to find out they only take one bin per house hold..it was not that long ago we were told if we were to buy a extra bin from the council we could put it out and they would lift it !,now we have to recycle all were rubbish so the council can make money from it ,i think they should be paying us back money for all the wheelie bins which cant be used anymore now[evil]...this will only encourage fly tipping i think...
when they issued the new blue bins, thye issued the book along with it, and it stated if you have 2 ordinary rubbish bins, then the 2nd on had to have a green authorized second bin sticker on it, i phoned and told them about our, and they sent out a form asking how many people were in our house and if we were entitled to the 2nd bin, thankfully as there are 6 of us in our house the issued me with this green sticker for my second bin, mayby it would be worth phoning the council and asking about this sticker if there are 6 of you in your house and you need the 2nd bin.

balto
14-Apr-11, 22:09
I think it's a good system.
totally agree with you, since i started recycling everything that can go in the bin, i now use 1 bin a week, used to be 2 before(i have 6 in my house), such a difference, was delighted with myself when they took it which ment i had but the correct items in it.

starfish
14-Apr-11, 22:34
what i meant about the rest of the plastic going in normal rubbish bin is the plastic like yorgut pots and the plastic trays i very rarely use tins and try to use loose fruit and veg your butter tray all these are not being re cycled i do not use many of what the council want but know plenty of people that do

ducati
15-Apr-11, 09:27
its a CONSPIRACY :eek:

By sorting your own rubbish it makes it easier for the men in black to analyze your lifestyle to better market consumer goods and implant you with a chip. The men in black work for TESCO :cool:

elm136
15-Apr-11, 09:58
has anyone know were the garden waste goes after is collected from your brown bin? it goes to seater landfill site i guess ..weres the compost ...its a joke

annemarie482
15-Apr-11, 10:02
has anyone know were the garden waste goes after is collected from your brown bin? it goes to seater landfill site i guess ..weres the compost ...its a joke

i live in country, therefore according to the council "i am not entitled to have a brown bin" and when asked where i was to put garden waste as we can not put it in the green bin the reply was "...........................................im sure you'll think of something" [disgust]

brandy
15-Apr-11, 10:02
ive been told that they are actually looking thru the recyclables to make sure you've put the right stuff in.. are they fining up here?
my recycling bin is full today! i keep putting a child in to it and letting them jump up and down to flatten it down *Laughs*
ive been putting my glass into the blue box just to take up to the center.. mines extra full this week as i had a clear out..and all the papers and magazines that i tossed was scary!!
its really cool with the kids as well.. as they have started looking for 1s and 2s on the bottoms of things now.. my house is a family of 4 with a dog a cat a bird and fish (the fish dont mess that much) but i find that we only use a bag or two of rubbish a week now.. where it use to be overflowing at the end of the week..
its just to bad the big dog food bags cant be recycled. or cat food sachets!

pmcd
15-Apr-11, 10:30
It's all quite easy. I am organising a system called "Wastenet Wantnet" whereby if, say, someone in Thurso has a heap of plastic milk bottles, but no room in their bin, they can look out on the Org for someone from, say, Lybster who has available milk bottle bin space, and then just hop into the 4 x 4 and drop them off. At the same time, say that another person in Thrumster has a collection of "Mens' Health" magazines they want to get rid of, but again, have no room in their blue bin, then they can ferry them in the 4 x 4 over to Thurso, where an advertised magazine capacity vacancy has occurred. So simple!

Even kiddies could be encouraged to "walk" unfittable waste from one village to the next. Thus, what has heretofore been nothing more than "chucking something in the bin" can now become a socially aware activity.

Who knows, in times to come, we could celebrate an annual "Wastenet Wantnet Day", whereby we could build a huge bonfire of all the waste which doesn't fit the present parameters (depleted uranium, toxic chemicals, prune juice bottles, antimacassars, voles, daffodil stems, etc.) and place some of the eejuts who think up these schemes on top.

The ashes, of course, would have to go in the brown bin......er....unless its Ramadan, or the moon's in the fifth quarter, or it's a bank holiday, when 50% of the ashes can be transferred to the blue bin. Clear now?

Swannie
15-Apr-11, 10:34
We have always recycled and taken it to Janetstown. However we discovered this week when our blue bin was emptied for the first time that some items were returned i.e. trays from inside biscuit and chocolate boxes - both of which at the PET1 symbol meaning it is recyclable!! However on contact HC regarding this I have been informed that they are required to go in the rubbish bin! We used to always put the clear trays (if they had the proper symbol) that fruit/veg comes in as well but presumably that goes as rubbish too.

elm136
15-Apr-11, 11:04
instead of cutting back from the council like every council in this united kingdom ..this lot hires bin policemen to check that your doing it write..and not putting say glass in with plastic or putting too many bins out at one house? it makes you laugh nether wonder this countrys broke

gerry4
15-Apr-11, 11:43
instead of cutting back from the council like every council in this united kingdom ..this lot hires bin policemen to check that your doing it write..and not putting say glass in with plastic or putting too many bins out at one house? it makes you laugh nether wonder this countrys broke

Ever been contacted by the "Bin police"? Is this just one of those urban myths. Does Highland Council employ such people? Would love to know how much they earn. What type of uniform do they have?

Kodiak
15-Apr-11, 11:53
The week before they started the collection of the New Blue Bins we had an offical from the council who came around and inspected all the Bins.

When he came to my house he saw that I had in my garden, 1 Blue Bin supplied by the council , 1 Grey Bin supplied by the council & 1 Green Bin which I had bought.

So he stuck a sticker on the lid of the Green bin. When I asked him what it was for he said that, "As of next week you can only get one Bin emptied once every two weeks and you have two Bins. So this bin here, the green bin, will be removed from your property."

I just stood there leaning on my walking stick and looked at him. I eventually said that that the green bin was my own which I had bought.

He repeated everything he had just said and that the green bin had to be taken away as I was not allowed to get two bins emptied.

So I pointed out that the new rules of the Council was that they would only empty one Bin once every two weeks. The rules say nothing about the number of bins that a person could own and the council could not take away a bin which I had bought.

He stood still and thought and after a bit he took off the sticker on the Green bin and put it on the Grey bin. He then said, "Ok since that is your bin I have just put this sticker on the grey bin and that will be removed."

I then pointed out that the Council is and was obliged to supply each and every household with a Grey bin for General Rubbish and if it was removed I would put in a request for a new one. Also just because I had a Green bin of my it did not mean I was using it to put rubbish in and I could own as many as I like as long as I only put one bin out to be emptied once every two weeks.

He ripped off the sticker on the greay bin and stomped away and as he left he yelled back at me, "I'll be watching you"

I must have spoilt his whole day by not letting him take away a bin that I owned.

starfish
15-Apr-11, 11:58
The week before they started the collection of the New Blue Bins we had an offical from the council who came around and inspected all the Bins.

When he came to my house he saw that I had in my garden, 1 Blue Bin supplied by the council , 1 Grey Bin supplied by the council & 1 Green Bin which I had bought.

So he stuck a sticker on the lid of the Green bin. When I asked him what it was for he said that, "As of next week you can only get one Bin emptied once every two weeks and you have two Bins. So this bin here, the green bin, will be removed from your property."

I just stood there leaning on my walking stick and looked at him. I eventually said that that the green bin was my own which I had bought.

He repeated everything he had just said and that the green bin had to be taken away as I was not allowed to get two bins emptied.

So I pointed out that the new rules of the Council was that they would only empty one Bin once every two weeks. The rules say nothing about the number of bins that a person could own and the council could not take away a bin which I had bought.

He stood still and thought and after a bit he took off the sticker on the Green bin and put it on the Grey bin. He then said, "Ok since that is your bin I have just put this sticker on the grey bin and that will be removed."

I then pointed out that the Council is and was obliged to supply each and every household with a Grey bin for General Rubbish and if it was removed I would put in a request for a new one. Also just because I had a Green bin of my it did not mean I was using it to put rubbish in and I could own as many as I like as long as I only put one bin out to be emptied once every two weeks.

He ripped off the sticker on the greay bin and stomped away and as he left he yelled back at me, "I'll be watching you"

I must have spoilt his whole day by not letting him take away a bin that I owned.

he will have a field day at mine i have 4 green bins all puchased by me which i keep animal feed in and yes they do inspected bin a freind had not washed out one tin on the top of her bin and a sticker was but on it saying it was not up lifted due to dirty tins the rest of the rubbish had been washed a pure oversight on this one can

brandy
15-Apr-11, 12:19
*laughs* i think i may start a bin blog! and everyone can put in their experiences with the council bin police!

sids
15-Apr-11, 12:23
you are obviously buying the wrong things, and not carefully chosing things which have minimal packaging, or packaging which can be recycled or reused.

Normal people buy the things they want.

Weirdos might base their choice of food on how much cardboard comes with it.

brandy
15-Apr-11, 12:30
ok.. have made a group on face book *laughs* if anyone wants to add their 2 pence.. could be interesting! the group is called The Recycling Bin Debate...caithness
if its right the url is http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_191666867545365

elm136
15-Apr-11, 12:48
has anyone considered how much all this bins is costing the country..better if they had left it as before you could put out your bin plus up to 20 black bags aswell and get it lifted.. now i have to get a bigger garden to store the bins,i was told you could end up with at least 12 bins in the future ...with three lorrys out on the same street..on the same day ..honestly

Spongeboab
15-Apr-11, 14:12
i was told you could end up with at least 12 bins in the future ...with three lorrys out on the same street..on the same day ..honestly

http://www.spectator.co.uk/article_images/articledir_10877/5438748/1_fullsize.jpg

Red
15-Apr-11, 15:20
Normal people buy the things they want.

Weirdos might base their choice of food on how much cardboard comes with it.

Yup I am what you would class as a wierdo and exceptionally proud of it - I recycle what I can, I don't buy fruit and veg in excess packaging unless I can help it, I try to grow as much fruit and veg as I can and buy local produce where possible, I have used cloth nappies on my son so I can't even be accused of filling up landfill with dreadful disposables, I want to ensure that he and any subsequent generations have a decent world to live in, and if that means choosing carefully what I buy and spending an extra few moments to dispose of it carefully or considerately then so be it, it's a small price to pay.

Take me back 50 years and I would have been considered normal. It just goes to show how selfish people have become that they only think about themselves and their own convenience...