PDA

View Full Version : anyone visit the US recently?

brandy
13-Apr-11, 07:38
just wondering as we are going to go visit my family. .but not to sure about this new visa thing for hubby and the boys. do you just fill it out online and be done with it.. or do you need to print something out to show them..
they are always changing things *laughs* and i really dont want to stand in immigration for hours!!
thanks

nicnak
13-Apr-11, 10:06
hey Brandy, I was there last month, you fill in the online form then wait for the reply saying you have passed, it is normally immediate, then print it out and keep it with you, this does not guarantee entry though, it states if they find anything wrong they can turn you away but i have never heard of it happening so I wouldn't worry unneccercily, I had a fantastic time and everything was very straight forward but there were huge queues at schippol airpot, amsterdam for security though so make sure you allow plenty of time if travelling that way. Have a great time!

Phill
13-Apr-11, 10:07
You need an ESTA:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

You wont even get out of the UK without one. $14 a pop too.
You don't need to print it out as they check your passport before you checkin for your flight, but I would advise at least taking a note of the reference numbers just in case.

pmcd
13-Apr-11, 10:16
If you are going Stateside do your very best to avoid Miami International Airport. The staff there - unionised latino mafia - are rude to the point of deserving a good slap: you are either ritually ignored, or treated like a branded member of the Big Z cattle ranch: they turn the air conditioning to "smelly/warm/moist/hot dog onions", their arrival halls look like they were designed by a Nazi architect, and their transit system beats Dante's circles of hell. Once you've got through the various indignities that this branch of the Land of the Brave and the Free subject you to, the good news is that the US Customs then really confuses you by being very friendly and helpful (as indeed nearly all US airport staff are at all the other entry points I've encountered!)

But Miami is miasmic!

Phill
13-Apr-11, 11:03
If you are going Stateside do your very best to avoid Miami International Airport. The staff there - unionised latino mafia - are rude to the point of deserving a good slap: you are either ritually ignored, or treated like a branded member of the Big Z cattle ranch: they turn the air conditioning to "smelly/warm/moist/hot dog onions", their arrival halls look like they were designed by a Nazi architect, and their transit system beats Dante's circles of hell. Once you've got through the various indignities that this branch of the Land of the Brave and the Free subject you to, the good news is that the US Customs then really confuses you by being very friendly and helpful (as indeed nearly all US airport staff are at all the other entry points I've encountered!)

But Miami is miasmic!
LOL I've heard some horror stories but I went in through Atlanta, which was absolutely fine. No queues and very well organised and helpful. In fact the worse part of my trip was getting through the most arrogant, ignorant, rude fascist security gimp at Inverness! Definitely the worse security experience in all the places I have travelled in recent years.

brandy
13-Apr-11, 12:38
we are going to try to leave as much time as possible between flights and def. go early.. as we do not know how ben will cope with the security and queues..going to take his disabilaty paperwork.. and possibly ask for private screening depending on how things go. im a US citizen so not to worried about getting into the US.. will have to check and see if i have to do anything to get back in over here though as im just a lowly resident *grins*

oldmarine
14-Apr-11, 03:41
just wondering as we are going to go visit my family. .but not to sure about this new visa thing for hubby and the boys. do you just fill it out online and be done with it.. or do you need to print something out to show them..
they are always changing things *laughs* and i really dont want to stand in immigration for hours!!
thanks

My largest problem with air travel in the USA is airport security. It gets quite tiresome with all I have to do to get through the security check points.

Venture
14-Apr-11, 17:16
LOL I've heard some horror stories but I went in through Atlanta, which was absolutely fine. No queues and very well organised and helpful. In fact the worse part of my trip was getting through the most arrogant, ignorant, rude fascist security gimp at Inverness! Definitely the worse security experience in all the places I have travelled in recent years.

Myself and a good few others I have talked to agree 100% with you there Phill re Inverness.[disgust]

jm.mack
15-Apr-11, 04:01
We arrived in the US on Saturday, only the ESTA form is now required, no need to fill in the old green visa waiver forms. Immigration was no problem, they just scan your passport and all the ESTA details were there. We only had to fill in a customs form to declare any particular food etc.

ducati
15-Apr-11, 07:14
My largest problem with air travel in the USA is airport security. It gets quite tiresome with all I have to do to get through the security check points.

I'm not surprised oldmarine, you can't be too careful with dodgy looking characters like you! :lol:

oldmarine
16-Apr-11, 21:52
I'm not surprised oldmarine, you can't be too careful with dodgy looking characters like you! :lol:

Right on... One can't be too careful with whom one may associate...