PDA

View Full Version : UKAEA Responds To Inaccurate And Misleading Report On Particles

NewsBot
05-Sep-06, 19:50
A number of inaccurate and misleading statements about radioactive particles in the marine environment around Dounreay have been published today in an article in the Daily Telegraph.UKAEA believes it is important the public has access to accurate and balanced information about . ...

Read full article here... (http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=313)

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 20:06
Some of the plutonium particles have a half-life of 300 years

FACT: The particles found on beaches are detected by their caesium-137
content, which has a half-life of 30 years.

I think Dounreay's reply is a wee bit misleading as well though I don't think there is much to worry about.

The fuel particles will have been detected using an instrument that is tuned to the gamma ray energy channels identifiable with Cs137. However, the fuel elements will definitely contain extra radioactivity which may be associated with longer lived isotopes (quite possibly plutonium albeit statistically at lower levels), so therefore, probably like the overall health risk, it can be considered to be very negligible.

robglysen
05-Sep-06, 20:58
The telegraph have got it incredibly wrong, wonder what idiot they're paying to write it.

Also I disagree with the quote in your sig.

I reckon its not a measure of how good our country is, its a measure of how rubbish all the others are.

EDIT: couldn't all the dounreay news be put in one post as the first page is half dounreay now, though I suppose its to be expected up here.