PDA

View Full Version : identifying a thingy

STUDMUFFIN
12-Apr-11, 12:12
this came into my possession recently and wondering if it is for tea or drug use. please could someone identify it. it is perforated at the end

STUDMUFFIN
12-Apr-11, 12:13
ps, excuse my dirty fingers etc but i have been concreting

golach
12-Apr-11, 12:58
A Marrow bone spoon, maybe?

John Little
12-Apr-11, 13:01
Sort of thing you might suck wine up through without getting the lees in your mouth.

Spongeboab
12-Apr-11, 13:08
it's a bombilla, i saw a similiar one in an ethnic shop in edinburgh years back and had to ask what it was

Kodiak
12-Apr-11, 13:25
I had to look up what a "Bombilla" is and by the pictures I found, that is exactly what it is. Here is a Pic of a Bombilla that I found on Google. :-

http://i56.tinypic.com/hvt8r9.jpg

Dog-eared
12-Apr-11, 13:32
It's for drinking Mate, a kind of roughly chopped herbal tea.

golach
12-Apr-11, 13:34
The Org is fascinating, with it power to deliver answers

starfish
12-Apr-11, 14:38
but what is a bombilla used for

Kodiak
12-Apr-11, 14:47
but what is a bombilla used for

Simply a Bombilla is a Metal Straw with a filter at one end. This enables you to drink liquids, ie tea made from loose leaves, and not get a mouth full of tea leaves as they are filtered.

Phill
12-Apr-11, 16:14
If you found it in your neck of the woods I would definitely say summit to do with drugs, very dodgy characters where you are!

STUDMUFFIN
12-Apr-11, 17:23
thank you everbody and i found it in your garden phill lol

George Brims
13-Apr-11, 01:01
It's definitely for mate, S American tea. I have a colleague here whose mum is from Argentina and he drinks it all the time, though his preferred implement is a modern plastic insulated mug with a plastic straw. He had a great time once trying to bring loose leaves he bought in bulk through US Customs on his way back from visiting his cousins.

oldmarine
13-Apr-11, 06:17
This has been a very interesting thread. Now that I have read all the comments I'm not certain I know what it is. Guess I'm getting too old to know what it's all about.

George Brims
13-Apr-11, 19:44
What the thing does is filter your tea so you don't choke on bits of leafy stuff. Mate is made by putting about a tablespoon of what looks like dried oregano in a mug and adding hot (not boiling) water. You then sip the resulting tea through the bombilla. The tiny holes at the spoon-looking end do the filtering.

Bazeye
13-Apr-11, 20:33
What the thing does is filter your tea so you don't choke on bits of leafy stuff. Mate is made by putting about a tablespoon of what looks like dried oregano in a mug and adding hot (not boiling) water. You then sip the resulting tea through the bombilla. The tiny holes at the spoon-looking end do the filtering.

Thats not what I'd use it for.

John Little
13-Apr-11, 20:36
What would you use it for? :O

Bazeye
14-Apr-11, 20:43
What would you use it for? :O

Why, stirring my tea, of course.

_Ju_
15-Apr-11, 07:35
Others have already answered you. It's for Yerba Mate. Once I visited an agentinian teaching ship and they gave us some yerba mate to taste. It is very refreshing if quite strongly flavored ( no surprise, the glass was filled with 1/3 chopped vegetation!). They two ways of drinking the tea without chewing it: one was a straw incorporated to the side of the glass, which brought up liquid from the bottom and the other was one of these things you have aquired, studmuffin.