PDA

View Full Version : sleep/wake

marksay
05-Sep-06, 19:29
I am not great with computers hence the stupid question.
When I hit the sleep button on my keyboard i can`t wake the dash thing back up. What am i doing wrong??

Tiger Jones
05-Sep-06, 23:26
I think you need to make sure your PC is set-up to awake from whatever device - keyboard or mouse.

I don't have a sleep button myself but for the keyboard settings it'll be something like;

Start > Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware > Properties > Power Management > Allow this device to bring computer out of standby

If that last bit is checked/enabled then I'm out of ideas.

blueivy
06-Sep-06, 10:00
I am not great with computers hence the stupid question.
When I hit the sleep button on my keyboard i can`t wake the dash thing back up. What am i doing wrong??

Hi Marksay,

How is it you're trying to bring the PC out of sleep mode? Are you actually using the keyboard to bring it out or just to make it sleep?

marksay
09-Sep-06, 20:57
thanks tiger jones for replying - tried this and couldn`t find the power management bit.

blue ivy thanks for replying also. Yes my keyboard has a sleep key and a wake up key, the kids have hit the sleep key a few times and all i get is a blank screen. No key wakes it up and i have to end up turning everything off for a few minutes.
I`m not computer literate so I would be grateful for any help.

blueivy
10-Sep-06, 14:06
Hi Marksay,

Does this happen every single time? I assumed it did but your last post sort of hinted that it may only do it sometimes.

Do you have drivers for your keyboard? If so, are they installed. If you have additional buttons on your keyboard it's no longer a bog standard Windows keyboard (it needs a driver to tell Windows about it's other buttons).

I have exactly the same problem with my laptop when it goes to sleep. It goes into Hibernation mode and 9 times out of ten when you switch it back on all I see is a black screen. It's something I've been meaning to look at for some time, but as it needs rebuilt anyway I've left it. I always put it down to drivers myself so I'd try that for your keyboard as the next step.

What is the make and model of your keyboard anyway?