PDA

View Full Version : Durran in Caithness et al

Durran
11-Apr-11, 20:45
Hi All,

I have a very comprehensive database on the name Durran in Scotland and in particular in Caithness. I have transcribed all births, marriages and deaths with the name Durran on them in Scotland. I have also noted every occasion the name appears in the census returns for Caithness from 1841 to 1901 (need to work on 1911 now it is available).

My problem is that a small group of members of my main family tree have disappeared and I am posting this thread in the hope that someone recognises any of the names.

As most of you have discovered not all children known to be born to families have their births/baptisms recorded. Donald Durran (c1777-1828) & Janet Sutherland were married 19 Nov 1801 in Olrig. Donald was a farm servant who was moved around and only recorded the baptisms of: -

John (1806) in Springpark, Thurso
James Smith (1814) in Netherside, Olrig
George (1817) in Olrick, Olrig.

I know that had a daughter Anne (1803) as she married Sinclair Manson in 1830 in Dunnet and died there in 1897, aged 94. Her brother John married Barbara Tait in 1832 in Dunnet. Between 1831 and 1840 every child born to Anne and her husband Sinclair and also to John and his wife Barbara had one witness with the surname Durran. As these were almost certainly their siblings, I have a list of names with estimated dates of birth for each of them as follows: -

Donald Durran, born c1802
Janet Durran, born c1808
Margaret Durran, born c1810
William Durran, born c1812

The last time the name Durran appeared as a witness to these baptisms was 19 April 1840. When the 1841 census appeared less than a year later, none of the four named above nor James Smith Durran (born 1814) appeared in it. I can only assume that they must have emigrated prior to the census.

I have so far been unable to find any reference to any of them after 1840, with one possible exception. Using the latest version of FamilySearch I found a William Dorren in the 1880 census in the United States, aged 67, born in Scotland. He is apparently in a care home of some sort for men and they are all roughly the same age. He is described as a widower but he is a possibility for my William. Perhaps I will be lucky at last after 35 years of search.

Hope to hear from someone.

John

sylviaj
12-Apr-11, 12:46
Hi John
I was interested in you post
My family name is Durrand
1 or 2 show up on certs as Durran (maybe just a spelling issue)
I was just wondering if there is a connection?
Sylviaj

Durran
12-Apr-11, 18:05
Hi Sylvia,

We have corresponded previously. You are the daughter of Alexander Lyall Durrand & Jean Mary Hunter.

I collected quite a lot of information on the name Durrand as I was not sure if there was a connection with my Durrans. I don't believe so as most of the Durrand families were based mainly in Wick and involved with the sea - fishermen, coopers, fish curers and merchant seaman. Those named Durran worked on the farm, then as their education improved became ministers, doctors and teachers and by 1927 the name in that form disappears from Caithness.

As you can see I am trying to locate a specific family group of five siblings, who couldn't all have died suddenly in 1840 and probably emigrated to Canada or the United States as their parents were dead and their three other siblings were all married and settled in Caithness, where they remained for the rest of their lives.

Regards,

John

Skifter
13-Apr-11, 09:25
In the Monumental Inscription book for Olrig there is a gravestone to Wm Durran, Ha' Durran d 15.1.1892 aged 86, sister Margaret d7.7.1890 aged 72, brother Don 29.11.1903 aged 87.

Skifter
13-Apr-11, 09:31
In the Monumental inscription book for Dunnet there is a gravestone for Thos Laurie d Jan 1875 wife Janet Durran d April 1885 daughters Annie, Ina.

Durran
13-Apr-11, 15:21
Thanks for your two replies re monumental inscriptions with the name Durran in Caithness. All those you mentioned were the children of James Durran and his wife Margaret Waters and I have photographs of all Durran stones. It is those who have left Caithness that I am pursuing.

John

sylviaj
26-Apr-11, 11:00
Hi John
I remember us corresponding before.
I wonder, in your research of Durran/Durrand would you have a death certificate for Elisabeth (Green)Durrand b1815 daughter of James Green and Isobel Oag
There is a date if 1869 floating about but I can't find anything.

Cheers

Sylvia

Durran
07-May-11, 18:22
Hi Sylvia,

My last sighting of Elizabeth was in the 1851 census in Glasgow, St George. She was living at 19 Oswald Street with her son John. Daughter Isabella had recently married (23 Feb 1851) in Glasgow.

John

sylviaj
08-May-11, 12:16
Hi John

I've got this as well
She seems to have disappeared after that.

I have tried everything I can think of to find her, but no joy

Thanks anyway

Sylvia

Peterd500
10-May-11, 00:42
fyi

part of my CORMACK tree connects to DURRAND. Henrietta FINLAYSON married James DURRAND in 1881, son of James DURRAND & Margaret OAG married 1856 Wick.

Henrietta FINLAYSON was the daughter of John Sandison FINLAYSON & Henrietta CORMACK married 1846 Wick, daughter of John CORMACK & Janet REOCH / REIACH / REACH / etc married 1815 Wick, John being the son of Alexander CORMACK & Isobel CALDER married 1781 Watten. I descend from John's sister Barbara CORMACK who married John SINCLAIR 1805 Wick and had 13 issue.

Peter

sylviaj
10-May-11, 15:35
Hi Peter

We have corresponded before. James Durrand and Margaret Oag were my G G Grandparents.
I was looking for info on Death of Elisabeth Green b1815 married to James Durrand b1810 at the time.

Thanks for your info

Sylvia