PDA

View Full Version : Tomtom Rider Help

hardcore superstar
11-Apr-11, 09:53
despite my best efforts, my tomtom rider V2 won't charge from the bike. the head unit is fine and charges from the mains like a trooper. the connections/wires/fuse from the bike battery have been checked and are fine also. this leads me to believe that the dock is the culprit. a bit of research on the web shows that a faulty dock is quite a common problem. however, before i shell out £50 for a replacement, would some kind soul out there be willing for me to pop over and have a shot of their dock for a few minutes just to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that my diagnosis is correct?

orkneycadian
11-Apr-11, 19:22
A "hardcore" superstar needing a Tomtom for their motorbike? [lol]

You're on the slippery slope to a Gold Wing! [lol]

hardcore superstar
11-Apr-11, 21:27
gold wing ... yuck! wash your mouth out with soap! ... although, you may have a point seeming as i have a deauville.

anyway, what's wrong with a sat nav? even the hardcore-est among us need a little navigational help from time to time.

orkneycadian
11-Apr-11, 21:34
A Dozeville? Man, you're more than 3/4s the way to a Gold Wing already!

Sat nav today? On board smoothie maker tomorrow!

hardcore superstar
11-Apr-11, 22:29
here, don't diss the dullsville!

it'll carry all my camping equipment aswell as full make-up bag, hair dryer and straighteners. apart from this and a working tomtom dock, what more does a girl need?

Leanne
12-Apr-11, 00:30
A "hardcore" superstar needing a Tomtom for their motorbike?

I read it as pedal cycle lol

orkneycadian
12-Apr-11, 18:42
Well, assuming you get the Tomtom working, I hope you have downloaded some decent alternative commands for it (do you get audio commands on one on a bike? - Patched through headphones??)

Anyway - Even if it only flashes commands up on the screen, the following would be appropriate as a minimum.....

Depart - Pop a wheelie and see how long you can keep it up for
Bear left ahead - Prepare left knee for contact
Turn around where possible - Stop travelling in this direction, pull half a donut and continue
Go straight on - Wind the gas up! - Don't be shy!
Join the motorway - Sorry, funs over for a while....
Take the exit - Yahoo! Thats the end of boring motorway driving! Twisties ahead with any luck!
Congestion Charge - Prepare 2 fingers to wave to all the car drivers as you scoot up between them!
You have reached your destination - Perform a stoppie - If on a Deauville, remember to take your panniers with you!

sids
13-Apr-11, 07:54
Can you stick a multimeter on the output from the dock and see if you're getting about 13V?

hardcore superstar
13-Apr-11, 11:11
i'm going to come clean and admit that i'm not very technical ... but an electrician friend kindly checked everything out which is how i know that the connections/wires/fuse are totally hunky dory (plus, somebody i trust fitted them). unfortunately though, he was unable to do the dock because the connections/pins (or whatever) were too small for his testing machine thing (which i'm guessing is the multimeter you mentioned).

sids
13-Apr-11, 12:22
Yes it is. If you can't get meter probes onto the outputs, you're not really testing the dock. Shouldn't be impossible to make contact somehow.

That 13V I said might be wrong. I was thinking about the voltage of the bike's battery. The dock might reduce that to something lower for the batteries in the Tomtom.