PDA

View Full Version : random stone circle type stones ...

onecalledk
10-Apr-11, 18:48
was wondering if anyone who has any of these stones on their land and who no longer wishes them would consider donating them to me? I just need four in total, uplifting them is not a problem. So if any farmer or landowner has a rogue standing stone they have dug up or have left lying a field can help me can you PM please.

thanks
K

orkneycadian
10-Apr-11, 19:01
Theres quite a few here in Orkney, but I suspect Historic Scotland might be a bit miffed if you went off with them!

Over here as well, any farmers that have any inkling that there might be something historic on their land will either make it into a private "tourist attraction", or bury it! Finding something "historic" on your land is rarely beneficial, as before you know it, your'e not allowed to do anything with your own land anymore!

bekisman
10-Apr-11, 20:09
You're intending to carry out archaeology vandalism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Standing_Stones_of_Caithness

theone
10-Apr-11, 20:35
Can I ask what you need 4 megalithic monuments for?

You might want to consult the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 before disturbing them.

Kodiak
10-Apr-11, 20:43
I would click on the link below and read the content carefully before you do anything else.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/46

ducati
10-Apr-11, 20:46
I think with stone circles, you go to them, they don't come to you. ;)

Dog-eared
10-Apr-11, 20:57
That made me laugh !
As the replies above say, you can't do that. And if the stones have a significance in themselves, it is due to where they are placed in relation to the seasons and the sun appearing from behind hills at various times of the year along their alignment, etc.
Moving them to your back garden wil make them lose the reason for their existence.
Get some new stones in and build your own standing stone thing, with their own ( to you ) significance.

gleeber
10-Apr-11, 21:26
That made me laugh !
As the replies above say, you can't do that. And if the stones have a significance in themselves,
It made me smile too.
Whats the other bit mean. :lol:

onecalledk
10-Apr-11, 21:28
That made me laugh !
As the replies above say, you can't do that. And if the stones have a significance in themselves, it is due to where they are placed in relation to the seasons and the sun appearing from behind hills at various times of the year along their alignment, etc.
Moving them to your back garden wil make them lose the reason for their existence.
Get some new stones in and build your own standing stone thing, with their own ( to you ) significance.

sort of what I want to do, I appreciate people keeping me on the right side of the law, i am looking for stone circle type stones ie stones that look a bit like the ones you get in a stone circle but I am not for one minute expecting an actual stone from one of the circles!

There must somebody somewhere with big stones they are wanting shot off that can help me out?

thanks
K

canadagirl
10-Apr-11, 22:06
If you can't find any actual stones, you can use large pieces of styrofoam such as is used for building floats (for wharves etc), you carve it to the desired 'stone' shape and then use a render or polymer modified concrete coating on it, with a dark grey colour (it comes in a powder) to make lines and stuff. It's good to stick a couple pieces of good thick steel in the bottom so it can be bolted down. You can go really big by sticking multiple pieces of foam together. Any mason's supply or industrial coatings shop should be able to help you out. Sounds like an interesting project you've got, especially for someone looking at it a couple hundred years from now!

Aaldtimer
11-Apr-11, 02:51
If you can't find any actual stones, you can use large pieces of styrofoam such as is used for building floats (for wharves etc), you carve it to the desired 'stone' shape and then use a render or polymer modified concrete coating on it, with a dark grey colour (it comes in a powder) to make lines and stuff. It's good to stick a couple pieces of good thick steel in the bottom so it can be bolted down. You can go really big by sticking multiple pieces of foam together. Any mason's supply or industrial coatings shop should be able to help you out. Sounds like an interesting project you've got, especially for someone looking at it a couple hundred years from now!

Or, you can just go to a quarry!:roll:

Walter Ego
11-Apr-11, 08:42
I usually find stones lying around on the ground.

dafi
11-Apr-11, 09:37
Aaldtimer is quite right go to a local quarry, They will be only to willing to help you out!!! Thats what folks do over here. Quite a few new standing stones have appered over the years in gardens. Theres one garden in Kirkwall with a full blown circle in it!!

bekisman
11-Apr-11, 09:51
When we used to go to Quarries for sand, gravel, there was usually a big pile called 'rejects' - what you're after maybe?

Errogie
11-Apr-11, 10:23
Some years ago I created a stone circle on the croft and have added various standing stones whenever a JCB is passing by. We sometimes have barbecues over there in lieu of sacrificing a prim young lady and I often think about some archaeologist trying to work out the planetary alignment or where the blood was collected. Quarreyed stones are a bit raw, better to get something weathered or glacially rounded perhaps from the shore edge.

Beat Bug
11-Apr-11, 14:47
What sort of size stone are you looking for? Full size as per the original standing stones, or a bit smaller for today's garden?

Dog-eared
11-Apr-11, 17:30
Try A&D Sutherland's quarry. 841239
Remember, even gate end sized stones are very heavy.

onecalledk
11-Apr-11, 17:42
What sort of size stone are you looking for? Full size as per the original standing stones, or a bit smaller for today's garden?

a wee bit smaller is probably what i am after, thank you all for your responses, I am now armed with some info and the project will commence ......

cheers
K