PDA

View Full Version : New businesses herald Wick's economic rebirth

bagpuss
08-Apr-11, 20:37
On visit north today on Bridge Street I noticed that an ironmonger is about to open for business in Mowat/Victoria Wine - and a scoop shop is due to start in Dempster Street. A new trend by any chance?

starfish
08-Apr-11, 20:50
i wish them and the new clothes shop all the best wick needs new life

brandy
08-Apr-11, 21:02
fingers crossed all will go well !!! it will be a bit later in the year before we open.. as have other things we have to do first! but will be opening late summer!

Moira
08-Apr-11, 21:15
On visit north today on Bridge Street I noticed that an ironmonger is about to open for business in Mowat/Victoria Wine - and a scoop shop is due to start in Dempster Street. A new trend by any chance?

You did? The radar is obviously not working on the Ord of Caithness.
No idea about the new trend. You tell us. Us hicks will believe anything, remember? :D

John Little
13-Apr-11, 16:14
The BBC does not sound very positive though-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-13053514

pmcd
13-Apr-11, 16:35
I have just read that BBC article. The reporter is clearly blind, a half-wit, or simply malicious. Here is a quote from his story, verbatim

"It's 100 miles and more than two hours from Inverness to Scotland's most northerly east coast town - Wick.

There are only one or two tiny villages along the route, which hugs the north sea for almost the entire journey."

After that, he can tell me that Wick is the Las Vegas of the North, or home of a tribe of pygmies, or penguins,, and he'd be just about as believable.

I am SO hacked off with the BBC's patronising assumption that they can just make things up, and that Joe Public will swallow their guff because of the BBC name.

"Only one or two tiny villages"? Fool!

I remember how the BBC used to handle Forces' stories - "from the Kings Scottish Borders based in Filingborstal, Royal Sergeant Major McKechnie, and Lance Brigadier Mason of the Royal Artillery Regiment..........."

By gum, they showed attention to detail!

Rant aside, Wick is trying very hard to replace businesess, and make the town look more attractive, and well done for that - especially during a time when loot isn't exactly shlooshing around!!

Gronnuck
13-Apr-11, 16:37
Yeh.... but.... no..... but.... what about all those jobs in renewable energy - it's the future innit! Wee Fat Eck said so! There will be jobs a plenty preparing the sites, building roads, digging holes and mixing concrete to lay foundations. There will jobs a plenty with the design, manufacture and assembly of wind turbines........... Mmmmmm come to think of it the turbines will be built in Europe somewhere and the manufacturers will want their own engineers to install them. The groundworks will probably be done by the manufacturer's own labour too. Ah well..... I might get a job cutting the grass once they're done,:roll:.
I suppose it would be too much to ask for cheap electrikery? :confused.

weezer 316
13-Apr-11, 18:14
Well said Gronnuck!

I cant see the renewables industry being all that its cracked up to be. I can see some jobs in the short term with investment, but nothing anywhere near the scale of dounreay past that. And I must confess I am at a loss as to what caithness could do to replace dounreay

orkneycadian
13-Apr-11, 18:22
I cant see the renewables industry being all that its cracked up to be.

Exactly what it will be with a defeatist attitude, and there seems to be no shortage of that your side of the water.

Over here, theres an altogether more attainist attitude, and it shows. I have heard reported that there are over 200 jobs in renewables over here, and thats from about the same number of wind turbines as you have at Causeymire, and a few prototype marine energy devices!

If Caithness doesnt want renewables jobs, as seems to be the case, we'll happily have them over here!

Gronnuck
13-Apr-11, 18:40
Exactly what it will be with a defeatist attitude, and there seems to be no shortage of that your side of the water.

Over here, theres an altogether more attainist attitude, and it shows. I have heard reported that there are over 200 jobs in renewables over here, and thats from about the same number of wind turbines as you have at Causeymire, and a few prototype marine energy devices!

If Caithness doesnt want renewables jobs, as seems to be the case, we'll happily have them over here!

Whoo-hooo it's good to hear Orkney have got it all sussed. Now tell me who is manufactoring these turbines hereabouts? Who's manufacturing the blades? Perhaps more importantly who's assembling them when they arrive on site? Give us a name or two so we can keep abreast of any job opportunities.

orkneycadian
13-Apr-11, 19:28
Therin might appear to be the problem - Hanging around, waiting to be told when there might be a job going. By that time, you're too late!

Gronnuck
13-Apr-11, 22:22
Therin might appear to be the problem - Hanging around, waiting to be told when there might be a job going. By that time, you're too late!

The truth is that the turbine manufacturers are not in Orkney or Caithness, the blade manufacturers are not in Orkney or Caithness. There might be a view jobs in groundworks and there might be a view jobs in assembly but after that it'll be down to cutting the grass. And still no cheap electrickery,:confused ;).

orkneycadian
13-Apr-11, 22:42
You just focus on the grass cutting then. We'll take care of the rest of it for you!

sweetpea
14-Apr-11, 07:40
It's great to see new businesses opening in Wick and I hope they do well. Whilst that is good news I do have to agree with Orkneycadian on his views on renewables especially the developments in marine energy in Orkney. Now I don't know too much about it all so don't want to get into a scientific debate but I do know that Orkney have been the go getters in all of this and have graciously let our side of the water tag along in the developments. I hear too many people saying 'what's all this renewables about then?' and the college have put up that massive building supposedly to help offset skills from nuclear to renewables and for the ERI so I take it that things are happening to try and get people into jobs but for the ordinary joe like me trying to navigate your way around finding out about them is pretty hard. Also I'd like to know what the agencies involved are doing to promote all this to our young people. Recently I've seen jobs advertised for Chamber of Commerce, North Highland Partnership, whatever that is and the like all aimed at 'regeneration', moving skills from Dounreay etc but what do they actually do for the person on the street.

ducati
14-Apr-11, 07:51
The old way to regenerate towns was to put buying power into the pockets of the people. You do this by generating new and better jobs. All good so far, when we're all earning £50k cutting grass on windfarms or whatever. But....in this day and age buying power is spent all over, not just in your local shops and businesses.

I have recently experienced several occasions when local business's could not compete by a massive margin.
So, local shops and business's, if other people many miles away can undercut you by a massive margin and deliver to Caithness, you have to ask yourselves, how badly do you want our business?

Gronnuck
14-Apr-11, 08:49
Call me an auld cynic but I though regeneration was about creating sustainable jobs by encouraging industry into the area. I'm waiting to see if the 'renewables' industry will base any of their manufacturing or managment in this area.
Orkneycadian says they've done so in Orkney but he can't say who they are or where they're based.
Regeneration isn't going to do Thurso or Wick any good if the renewable industry is going to be run at arms length from an office in London.

therealducati
14-Apr-11, 10:01
Correct me if I'm wrong (although I know orgers are a reticient bunch!) but wasn't the huge eyesore of a shed (I can see it from my back garden, does that make me a NIMBG rather than a NIMBY?!) at NES supposed to be for building renewable related machinery etc? Precious little sign of it so far, although they do seem to be filling the area behind the aircraft hanger with miscellaneous stuff (apparently if I write the word I want to instead of "stuff" the moderators will slap my wrist!). Perhaps that will move into the smaller shed that is currently being built so that the place at least looks tidy!
As I have just more or less given away where I live, Ducati has just remarked that we might get disgruntled NES employees on the doorstep (possibly with pitchforks and torches or does that only happen in Portgower?)

ducati
14-Apr-11, 11:00
:eek::eek::eek:

John Little
14-Apr-11, 12:52
Does this mean there are two of you? :O

ducati
14-Apr-11, 13:32

It had to happen one day John...........you've finally cracked up!

John Little
14-Apr-11, 14:47
It had to happen one day John...........you've finally cracked up!

I reckon your missus is making a takeover bid for the Org Ducati franchise...you are clearly in a titanic domestic power struggle.

pmcd
14-Apr-11, 15:40
Reminds me of that one when Mike & Bernie Winters topped the bill at the Glasgow Empire for the first time. First, Mike stepped into the limelight to receive the usual warm and friendly Glasgow welcome. When the hissing and booing stopped, on trotted brother Bernie.

"F&*$ Me!" shouted a voice from the gods "There's TAE o' them!"

Never mind, Real/Plastic Ducatis - we'll be much more friendly!

therealducati
14-Apr-11, 20:08

Just think of the scene in the Kirk Douglas "Spartacus" movie

"I am the real Ducati"

Himself stole the user name that I use for all my other internet forums (?fora) when he registered on t'org. After all, I am the one who owns the Ducati in question, he has a VFR750, which doesn't sound nearly as good!

John Little
14-Apr-11, 20:32
Just think of the scene in the Kirk Douglas "Spartacus" movie

"I am the real Ducati"

Himself stole the user name that I use for all my other internet forums (?fora) when he registered on t'org. After all, I am the one who owns the Ducati in question, he has a VFR750, which doesn't sound nearly as good!

But ... this means you are Duke. And he is Honda!

The Org will never be the same again!

pmcd
14-Apr-11, 20:45
Oooh I can just see it - new Channel Four Sitcom - Ducati playing "Sparky" Truss, a gladiator fallen on hard times, and his wife playing the Mona Lisa (La GiacHONDA) who journeys through time to comfort him before battle.

You know, this Buckfast really ishn't bad.............

ducati
14-Apr-11, 20:49
But ... this means you are Duke. And he is Honda!

The Org will never be the same again!

Calm down calm down it's only a little project ;)

See above

John Little
14-Apr-11, 21:01
Calm down calm down it's only a little project ;)

The Org, the wife or your bike? :eek:

orkneycadian
14-Apr-11, 21:06
I'm waiting to see if the 'renewables' industry will base any of their manufacturing or managment in this area.
Orkneycadian says they've done so in Orkney but he can't say who they are or where they're based.

I'm afraid Gronnuck that if you are sitting back waiting for a modern industry to come along and build a huge facility complete with social club, then you are stuck in the 70's.

You want names? OK, heres some that have significant bases in Orkney

Open Hydro
Aquamarine Power
Tidal Generation
Atlantis Resources
European Marine Energy Centre
Scotrenewables

If you are looking for facilities where machines are being smelted out of raw iron ore, mined 500 yards down the road, using coal dug up 500 yards the other way, then you'll be sadly disappointed.

But they still might need their grass cut!

As I say, if you are going to "wait and see" over there, then you'll wait a long time. Early birds and worms!

ducati
15-Apr-11, 20:56
Open Hydro............................................. ..................................no vacancies
Aquamarine Power............................................. ............................
Current vacancies

Commercial Manager, (http://www.aquamarinepower.com/work-with-us/vacancies/commercial-manager/)Edinburgh
Project Engineer, (http://www.aquamarinepower.com/work-with-us/vacancies/project-engineer/)Edinburgh
Research Engineer, (http://www.aquamarinepower.com/work-with-us/vacancies/research-engineer-belfast/)Belfast
Graduate Training Programme, (http://www.aquamarinepower.com/work-with-us/vacancies/graduate-training-programme/)Edinburgh
Wave energy research opportunity, (http://www.aquamarinepower.com/work-with-us/vacancies/wave-energy-research-opportunity/)Ireland

Tidal Generation........................................ ....................................We currently have no vacancies

Atlantis Resources......................................... ................................0 results found
European Marine Energy Centre......................Can't find any information about vacancies but it looks set up like a quango
Scotrenewables...Due to expansion, we are currently rebranding and a new website is under development.
Please visit again soon.

These organisations may well develop into big employers but they ain't now. What they primarily are, are vehicles to attract taxpayer funding for research and development.

orkneycadian
15-Apr-11, 21:06
Like I say Ducati, If your not fast, your last!

Maybe if you ask nicely, they'll let you cut the grass! [lol][lol][lol]

ducati
15-Apr-11, 21:44
I should hope so, it looks like I'm paying for it :roll:

orkneycadian
15-Apr-11, 22:43
Atlantis Resources......................................... ................................0 results found

Do Caithnessians learn at e school how not to use Google?

Again, here you go on a plate (http://www.atlantisresourcescorporation.com/projects/pentland-firth.html)

I would have thought you would have been on the ball with this one, given that it is the technology partner for one of the recent Crown Estate lease grants closest to Caithness!

You guys are going to have to get a finger on the pulse......

Its no wonder they all come to Orkney!

ducati
15-Apr-11, 22:59
Do Caithnessians learn at e school how not to use Google?

Again, here you go on a plate (http://www.atlantisresourcescorporation.com/projects/pentland-firth.html)

I would have thought you would have been on the ball with this one, given that it is the technology partner for one of the recent Crown Estate lease grants closest to Caithness!

You guys are going to have to get a finger on the pulse......

Its no wonder they all come to Orkney!

No results for vacancies, I know exactly who all these organisations are, where they are headquartered and what they do (Or not). You will find many of them share directors, or share directors with HIE for instance.

BTW I didn't need to google they are on my own Database.

sweetpea
15-Apr-11, 23:00
Hey orkneycadian, it's not that peope in Caithness are stupid, it's just they are 'fed' a different line from HIE Orkney. Here it's like mushrooms kept in the dark whereas Orkney tell their folk what's going on and people get the chance to respond.
I'm not clever by any means and have no interest in the whole renewables thing, not my bag, but I did realise the whole potential early on.

orkneycadian
15-Apr-11, 23:05
I despair, Ducati. Like Gronnuck, if you are sitting back waiting for jobs to be advertised for months on end, just waiting to be picked up on when you choose to look for them, then you'll wait forever and a day.....

orkneycadian
15-Apr-11, 23:08
Hey orkneycadian, it's not that peope in Caithness are stupid, it's just they are 'fed' a different line from HIE Orkney.

Dont be daft. Are you suggesting that only HIE Orkney have control on whats said in the media to the public? Of course not. The media are constantly talking about what goes on in things like marine renewables. Heck, we even broadcast BBC Radio Orkney to you over there complete with all the news and developments in renewables. If you choose to sit back and wait till someone knocks on your door asking if you want a job, then go ahead and wait. But it doesn't work like that nowadays!

ducati
15-Apr-11, 23:14
I was listening to Alex the fish on questiontime spouting about how Scotland will lead the world in renewable energy. How we will design the generation plant, build it, install it and maintain it creating 10,000 jobs.

I am an optimist, but he is in cloud cuckoo land. The noise is that the Pentland Firth would be a great place to generate tidal power, it would not however be viable without major industrial users close at hand. The same noise points at the data centre project. While we can invest taxpayers money helping with the upfront costs of generation, I seriously doubt we can afford to incentivise a good proportion of Scottish industry to relocate. I'd love to be wrong, but I rather fear that as the grants and funding inevitably dry up, all these businesses will evaporate or go back to Ireland or Singapore or wherever.

orkneycadian
15-Apr-11, 23:17
I'd love to be wrong, but I rather fear that as the grants and funding inevitably dry up, all these businesses will evaporate or go back to Ireland or Singapore or wherever.

If that were to happen, then it would indeed be a shame. For there would be an awful lot of lawnmowers sitting idle in Caithness, there owners sitting waiting for the next knock on the door! [lol]

ducati
15-Apr-11, 23:17
I despair, Ducati. Like Gronnuck, if you are sitting back waiting for jobs to be advertised for months on end, just waiting to be picked up on when you choose to look for them, then you'll wait forever and a day.....

I'm not waiting for a job, I have 3 :Razz

ducati
15-Apr-11, 23:20
If that were to happen, then it would indeed be a shame. For there would be an awful lot of lawnmowers sitting idle in Caithness, there owners sitting waiting for the next knock on the door! [lol]

I am thinking of forming an OAPs underwater Lawnmowing business.

orkneycadian
15-Apr-11, 23:22
I hope the OAP's are not too optimistic. If it takes this long to rebuild a bike, then they might be waiting an awful long time for their lawnmowers to be in action. By that time, the industry will have shifted the grass cutting contracts to Orkney too!

ducati
15-Apr-11, 23:25
I hope the OAP's are not too optimistic. If it takes this long to rebuild a bike, then they might be waiting an awful long time for their lawnmowers to be in action. By that time, the industry will have shifted the grass cutting contracts to Orkney too!

The last part arrived on Wednesday, from China in 3 days :cool:

Booked for its MOT next Friday.

orkneycadian
15-Apr-11, 23:28
So - to summarise.

Caithness's position on marine renewables is that they will never catch on, will never realise any economic benefit and there are no jobs to be had. Caithnessians are, however, willing to cut the grass around the offices, using highly polished lawnmowers, that only run from time to time, providing bits can be sourced from China.

Well, that should bring them all running to Caithness (to catch the boat from Gills.....)

ducati
15-Apr-11, 23:33
[lol][lol][lol]

Moira
15-Apr-11, 23:34
Dont be daft. Are you suggesting that only HIE Orkney have control on whats said in the media to the public? Of course not. The media are constantly talking about what goes on in things like marine renewables. Heck, we even broadcast BBC Radio Orkney to you over there complete with all the news and developments in renewables. If you choose to sit back and wait till someone knocks on your door asking if you want a job, then go ahead and wait. But it doesn't work like that nowadays!

If all of the above is true I'm surprised you're still around. :)

bekisman
16-Apr-11, 08:45
Hmmm wonder why 'marvellous' Orkney does not run such a trip over to Caithness?

Wick Retail Park Special!
Daily excursion from Orkney to the new Wick Retail Park

Homebase - Argos - New Look - Superdrug - Lidl
Edinburgh Woollen Mill - Pets at Home
( Also Tesco are now in Wick )

£20 Return ( Includes Ferry and Bus )
Any Day from 1st June to 2nd September 2010 !

Depart Kirkwall, Travel Centre at 9am
Depart Wick Retail Park at 4:40pm
No Need to Book
http://www.jogferry.co.uk/special.htm

orkneycadian
16-Apr-11, 09:08
Glad to see there is some enterprising spirit over there, and not everyone is sitting around waiting for a job to land at their feet!

Mr Z
16-Apr-11, 11:20
Just for your information, I am from Caithness currently working in Orkney and involved with Marine Renewables. I have given work to a couple of Caithness firms to supply and fabricate items for the renewables industry. So there is work out there just have to look in the right places.

ducati
16-Apr-11, 12:51
Thats brilliant news! How long would you say will it be to the first commercial generation coming on line?

orkneycadian
16-Apr-11, 15:24
Hmmmmm.....

When did Dounreay first achieve commercial generation. Oh yes, thats right - It never did, and never will. I understand that the cost of maintaining the facility since 2000 is several times the value of the energy it ever produced. :eek:

Things are indeed bad in the jobs market over there right enough then.

As an employer, Tesco must be a no hoper as typing "Tesco Jobs Caithness" into Google yields no results (in the 1st 10 pages at least - can't be a***d to look any deeper, since others on here haven't looked very hard for jobs in marine receivables!)

Dounreay must be a similar waste of space, not being commercial, having consumed more money (mine included) than the worth of its operation.

Roll on the Lyster police station massage parlour! Looks like the oldest profession might be the only money making profession over there!

ducati
16-Apr-11, 15:42
Hmmmmm.....

When did Dounreay first achieve commercial generation. Oh yes, thats right - It never did, and never will. I understand that the cost of maintaining the facility since 2000 is several times the value of the energy it ever produced. :eek:

As an employer, Tesco must be a no hoper as typing "Tesco Jobs Caithness" into Google yields no results (in the 1st 10 pages at least - can't be a***d to look any deeper, since others on here haven't looked very hard for jobs in marine receivables!)

Dounreay must be a similar waste of space, not being commercial, having consumed more money (mine included) than the worth of its operation.

Roll on the Lyster police station massage parlour! Looks like the oldest profession might be the only money making profession over there!

Ha Ha Mine's bigger than yours. The point if there is one, is that Alex the fish's eggs are all on one basket. The basket hasn't been woven yet and the eggs all have (salmon)ela.

rob murray
18-Apr-11, 16:31
Well said Gronnuck!

I cant see the renewables industry being all that its cracked up to be. I can see some jobs in the short term with investment, but nothing anywhere near the scale of dounreay past that. And I must confess I am at a loss as to what caithness could do to replace dounreay

Dunno if you noticed but over the past 18 months there has been significant job growth in renewables industries, dominated by multni national corporations, much trumpted by the SNP....however all jobs are mostly located in the Central belt...they cant be involved directly ie on the operational side of renewables, so the bulk have to be research jobs...so right now the "brain work...ie long term work" is not within the immediate locality leading me to conclude that the vast "majority" of jobs are operational /support, So why, if this is the future, given the Dounreay scenario and with the Pentland Firth on the doorstep are more "brain related jobs" not based in Caithness. Renewables is no white knight and wont replace lost Dounreay jobs : Post Dounreay scenario : a reduced population cutting each other throats to get at the handful of jobs on offer..and who can blame them !!!

Walter Ego
18-Apr-11, 16:47
Hmmmmm.....

Dounreay was a testbed, it was never really meant to be a full scale 'generator'.

If you've got the right skillsets, there's jobs to be had in Caithness.