PDA

View Full Version : Import Duty

ducati
08-Apr-11, 18:32
Does anyone know, if I buy a small part from Germany that will be airmailed, value only about £20. Is it likely to attract import duty?

Yes orkneycadian, I know I could ask HM Customs & Rev. but as its Friday and I want to order it tomorrow, this is the way to go :lol:

NickInTheNorth
08-Apr-11, 18:40
should be fine, single market within europe :)

and look here for more details http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm

highland red
08-Apr-11, 18:46
As long as your part was manufactured in Germany (or another EU member state) then this is not classified as an "import". It goes under the heading of an acquisition from another EU member state and thus is outside the scope of UK import duty/ import VAT.

Anyone reading this please note that this DOES NOT apply to "excise goods": ie: cigarettes/tobacco products, alcohol etc.

If I can be of further help, either now or in the future please feel free to PM me.
All the best.
HR

ducati
08-Apr-11, 19:51
Thanks, I'll order it tomorrow with confidence :D

orkneycadian
08-Apr-11, 20:01
..... and thus is outside the scope of UK import duty/ import VAT.

Note however that without a UK / EU VAT number, the supplier in Germany will be obliged to charge you German VAT. So if the price you are looking at is German VAT free, expect to have their VAT applied on top!

highland red
09-Apr-11, 08:19
Note however that without a UK / EU VAT number, the supplier in Germany will be obliged to charge you German VAT. So if the price you are looking at is German VAT free, expect to have their VAT applied on top!

Correct: which is exactly the same that the buyer would have paid if he had bought it in (Thurso/Wick) The UK.

It is outside the scope of UK import VAT and duty, which is what he was asking originally.;)

highland red
09-Apr-11, 08:26

You are also assuming that the German vendor is German VAT registered. He may just be a member of the public or a small trader operating under the VAT threshold in which case he cannot charge German VAT.

ducati
09-Apr-11, 10:37
You are also assuming that the German vendor is German VAT registered. He may just be a member of the public or a small trader operating under the VAT threshold in which case he cannot charge German VAT.

It is a new part with an ebay buy it now price, so I assume VAT is included. It does look however, like it will be shipped from China, so I wonder if the German connection is to EUify it? Anyway, I've bought it now so lets see what happens.

It is a lot less than half the price I can buy it in the UK (for a cheap mass produced part that is made in China anyway) so it's probably worth the risk.

highland red
09-Apr-11, 14:27
It is a new part with an ebay buy it now price, so I assume VAT is included. It does look however, like it will be shipped from China, so I wonder if the German connection is to EUify it? Anyway, I've bought it now so lets see what happens.

It is a lot less than half the price I can buy it in the UK (for a cheap mass produced part that is made in China anyway) so it's probably worth the risk.

The status of the goods will depend on whether German import VAT has been paid upon its import from China. If this is the case then the goods are deemed to be in "free circulation" within the EU.

I really doubt that you are going to incur any problems with this: but if you do PM me and I'll be happy to help over the phone.
All the best. HR

ducati
09-Apr-11, 15:21
The status of the goods will depend on whether German import VAT has been paid upon its import from China. If this is the case then the goods are deemed to be in "free circulation" within the EU.

I really doubt that you are going to incur any problems with this: but if you do PM me and I'll be happy to help over the phone.
All the best. HR

Thanks HR :D

ducati
13-Apr-11, 11:37
The part arrived by post today! Despatched from China on Monday via Stanstead Airport. How good is that.