PDA

View Full Version : Wick by election

sweetpea
08-Apr-11, 16:44
Out of curiosity anyone heard who got in? or where can I find out?

Venture
08-Apr-11, 16:57
The SNP candidate, Gail Ross has been elected to serve on HRC. Congratulations and well done to her.:)

sweetpea
08-Apr-11, 17:00
Thanks for that Venture, perhaps one of the better choices after all then.

Moira
08-Apr-11, 17:04
Full report is here :-

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=2215

Congratulations to Gail and good luck!

pmcd
08-Apr-11, 17:21
A clean campaign, well fought, for a person and a party who have displayed consistency, probity, and progress throughout.

The rest, sadly, lumbered behind, dragging their leaden baggage of cracked ideas, broken promises, and tacky compromises.

Wick, you have chosen well!

Venture
08-Apr-11, 18:23
Thanks for that Venture, perhaps one of the better choices after all then.

Yes I agree sweetpea and did you notice, even Laurel beat the Tories.

Douglas Cowie
08-Apr-11, 18:50
Yes I agree sweetpea and did you notice, even Laurel beat the Tories.

Says it all about the Tories really beaten into last place by the village idiot.

zappster
08-Apr-11, 19:08
Hooray for Gail!!

gollach
09-Apr-11, 02:00
Congratulations, Gail!

Aaldtimer
09-Apr-11, 02:05
The troubling thing is that 75 people actually voted for the village idiot!:eek:

Skifter
09-Apr-11, 08:33
The worrying thing is, only 38.2% people actually bothered to vote.

Hoida
09-Apr-11, 09:34
Well done to Gail

ducati
09-Apr-11, 10:42
The SNP will probably leave again soon, driven crackers by their damn windmills :lol:

Corrie 3
09-Apr-11, 11:54
Well done Gail, nice to see the Tories and LibDems well and truly stuffed...;)

Hope you enjoy your time in office!!!!

C3.....:)

picturegifts
09-Apr-11, 14:32
The troubling thing is that 75 people actually voted for the village idiot!:eek:

And even more troubling is that 33 people voted Conservative

Crackeday
09-Apr-11, 17:31
The turnout says it all really, people just aren't interested and don't trust any politician!!!

Corrie 3
09-Apr-11, 17:57
And even more troubling is that 33 people voted Conservative
Mmmmm!!! Now that is worrying.....I didnt realise that there were so many people in Wick with sadistic tendancies!!!

C3......:roll::)

Papigoe Chiel
09-Apr-11, 19:17
Well done to Gail she was by far the best candidate, miles ahead of the rest but the scale of her victory was truly amazing - over twice as many votes as her nearest rival - Labour were a very poor second (rather like the race to be First Minister - Alex Salmond is miles ahead of that Labour chiel). And what about the Lib Dems? Their vote has disappeared like snow off a dyke, they must be in complete turmoil at the thought of what is going to happen to them at the Scottish elections next month. However, at least 75 people had a sense of humour or did they really think Mr Bush could be a cooncillor?

Moira
09-Apr-11, 23:48
I'm not sure about Gail's victory reflecting the true party political views in the far north of Scotland. The more real result of that will be reported next week.

I've often heard it said that folk in remote communities vote for the person rather than the party. From personal experience I would tend to agree with that.

Fisherbigin
10-Apr-11, 10:25
aahh,, thought you lot in Week would have given poor Geor oh sorry Laurel Bush a few more votes.

weezer 316
10-Apr-11, 21:50
Another SNP in. Great. That was all we needed. How anyone votes SNP is beyond me. The fact they have scottish in their name counts for what exactly??

Corrie 3
10-Apr-11, 21:55
Another SNP in. Great. That was all we needed. How anyone votes SNP is beyond me. The fact they have scottish in their name counts for what exactly??
Well I am beyond you then Weezer !!! Go on then, tell us who you vote for and then we can all rip you to bits!!!

C3....:roll:;)

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 08:10
I live in Thurso so I didnt vote in this clearly, but Anyone bar SNP, and probably labour too. SNP are a bunch of wind up merchants that preach stuff which patently isnt reality, like the amount of oil we got, and who used to preach an economic model like Irelands, in other words a small country with massive debts. Now look at Ireland!

And when the credit crunch hit, they were extremely quiet on the fat of RBS and HBOS. After moaning that these companies should pay tax to the scottish govt instead of the UK, once we had to bail them out and it was pointed out that the cost of the bailout was about 8x Scotlands entire GDP they soon shut their mouths. If they had their way we would be another iceland, infact probably worse cause we are run at a loss.

We are far stronger as part of the UK. We have fought bloody wars together for god sake.

Walter Ego
11-Apr-11, 08:40
I live in Thurso so I didnt vote in this clearly, but Anyone bar SNP, and probably labour too. SNP are a bunch of wind up merchants that preach stuff which patently isnt reality, like the amount of oil we got, and who used to preach an economic model like Irelands, in other words a small country with massive debts. Now look at Ireland!

And when the credit crunch hit, they were extremely quiet on the fat of RBS and HBOS. After moaning that these companies should pay tax to the scottish govt instead of the UK, once we had to bail them out and it was pointed out that the cost of the bailout was about 8x Scotlands entire GDP they soon shut their mouths. If they had their way we would be another iceland, infact probably worse cause we are run at a loss.

We are far stronger as part of the UK. We have fought bloody wars together for god sake.

You can't go round posting stuff based on reality instead of wishy washy 'Braveheart' tripe.

No good will come of it, I tell ye.....

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 12:17
Its nonsense Walter. And ill tell you another thing, people, and this message board is exactly the same, treat politics like its a football team. They follow a party and stick with it. Totally absurd. You choose based on what is the best for the coutry at that point in time, and at this point in time the tories are exactly whats needed as we clearly spend far to much money and have been for years.

Can an SNP supporter please shed light on why they think their policies are the way forward for a country thats hemoragghing cash?

And some of the collosal wastes of money that have come in under the SNP (Home insullation scheme thats about 5 times as expensive as the one they quoted In kirklees and will take 200 YEARS TO COMPLETE). And are we ever going to get an independence referendum ever?? Ever??

I wouldnt trust salmond to look after my cat never mind my country

annemarie482
11-Apr-11, 12:48
I'm not sure about Gail's victory reflecting the true party political views in the far north of Scotland. The more real result of that will be reported next week.

I've often heard it said that folk in remote communities vote for the person rather than the party. From personal experience I would tend to agree with that.

totally agree.
infact, it has not been unkown for people to decide a vote on wether they "like the look of someone" or "because they are younger and will bring fresh ideas"

ducati
11-Apr-11, 12:49
Its nonsense Walter. And ill tell you another thing, people, and this message board is exactly the same, treat politics like its a football team. They follow a party and stick with it. Totally absurd. You choose based on what is the best for the coutry at that point in time, and at this point in time the tories are exactly whats needed as we clearly spend far to much money and have been for years.

Can an SNP supporter please shed light on why they think their policies are the way forward for a country thats hemoragghing cash?

And some of the collosal wastes of money that have come in under the SNP (Home insullation scheme thats about 5 times as expensive as the one they quoted In kirklees and will take 200 YEARS TO COMPLETE). And are we ever going to get an independence referendum ever?? Ever??

I wouldnt trust salmond to look after my cat never mind my country

Couldn't agree more. That's why it is so hard to start a new party (well, that and all the new recent ones are nutters). That said I was born a Tory ...........:lol:

Corrie 3
11-Apr-11, 12:51
follow a party and stick with it. Totally absurd.
You are wrong Weezer, I was a very staunch LibDem Man, always voted for John Thurso and Co but once they jumped into bed with the Tories and went back on their policies then it was time to dump them which I am sure a lot of their followers will do!
As for the Tories...well!!!! "We are all in this together"...Remember those famous words from Cameron?, what a load of twaddle. I see that the taxpayer pays everytime when the Chanceller Osborne fills his car up, he isnt in it with us, these cuts will not affect anyone earning more than £100,000 per annum, it will be the ordinary working Guys and Gals who pay for this mess. The Tories are for the rich, always have been, always will be!!!
At least the SNP cares about Scotland, do you think the Tories do???

C3.....[disgust]:roll:

ducati
11-Apr-11, 13:04
You are wrong Weezer, I was a very staunch LibDem Man, always voted for John Thurso and Co but once they jumped into bed with the Tories and went back on their policies then it was time to dump them which I am sure a lot of their followers will do!
As for the Tories...well!!!! "We are all in this together"...Remember those famous words from Cameron?, what a load of twaddle. I see that the taxpayer pays everytime when the Chanceller Osborne fills his car up, he isnt in it with us, these cuts will not affect anyone earning more than £100,000 per annum, it will be the ordinary working Guys and Gals who pay for this mess. The Tories are for the rich, always have been, always will be!!!

I agree about the Lib Dems. Although I never understood until now why anyone would vote for them. (Unless you didn't want your party in power for some bizarre reason). And now look, they've been and gone and got in, so all their staunch supporters are leaving them in droves. :roll:

You are a very strange person C3. You would think that after I don't know how many years of no hope, they are finally in a position to influence the policys of today you would be happy. I can understand the disapointment about the state the country is in and what they (Lib Dems) have to tackle. But blame the last lot of incompetent vandals for that.

Did you honestly believe the LDs would be in government in 'normal' circumstances?

Alice in Blunderland
11-Apr-11, 13:29
these cuts will not affect anyone earning more than £100,000 per annum, it will be the ordinary working Guys and Gals who pay for this mess.

Just curious but what makes you think this ?

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 13:31

Lmao!! And thats why this country is in the bother it is in. In one paragraph you have shown what probably about 80% of the electorate are truly like!

Of course cuts wont affect anyone earning oer 100k, they can afford to absorb the hit!

It would be a great day indeed for people like yourselves if the people who comsume the serveces that we cant afford to run (like you and me) were to actaully pay our way for these things. Know what would happen, you wouldnt be able to stay in hospital more than half an hour or send your child to school for more than a month a year. So id suggest you stop greeting about the rich and worry about what you can do to sort the mess out.

Bare in mind, we have a monumental deficit not because of the rich or because of Osborne but because you, me and jimmy smith next door have had services and levels of public expenditure that have been supplied on the never never for 10 years!

So what do you suggest we do, keep living on the never never until we end up like greece x Ireland x 10, or do you suggest we reduce our expenditure?

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 13:33
Just curious but what makes you think this ?

Yeah actually what does make you think this?

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 13:35
totally agree.
infact, it has not been unkown for people to decide a vote on wether they "like the look of someone" or "because they are younger and will bring fresh ideas"

Id vote for her in a Beauty contest but not in an election!

Im sure though she is a hard working and diligent as anyone else. I just totally disagree with nationalist policies. They appeal to "scottish" people and almost make the accusation your not "for scotland" if you dont vote for them.

Corrie 3
11-Apr-11, 14:22
You are a very strange person C3.
I so glad you have sussed that one out Ducati..;)

What the LibDems should have done is side with Labour and stop the Tories bringing out draconion measures against the people of Britain. I agree cuts and savings must be made due to Labour living on the never never but the cuts the Tories have proposed are hitting the poorest in society. I think you and me could make a far better job in saving money for the country!! Anyway, I think the SNP have done a decent job for Scotland in the last 4 years so they are getting my vote this year, just because you vote for them it doesnt have to mean you want to break away from Britain does it?
And in answer to the other question, if you were earning £100,000 a year would you be so worried about the cuts? If you were a Disabled Pensioner on £6000 a year would you be worried about the cuts? I think I know what your answers will be !!!

C3......[disgust][disgust]

golach
11-Apr-11, 14:48
. I just totally disagree with nationalist policies. They appeal to "scottish" people and almost make the accusation your not "for scotland" if you dont vote for them.

I could not have put that better, well done. If we Scots choose the Independance route, we will end up like Iceland is at the moment, broke.

Alice in Blunderland
11-Apr-11, 15:11
if you were earning £100,000 a year would you be so worried about the cuts?

If you were a Disabled Pensioner on £6000 a year would you be worried about the cuts? I think I know what your answers will be !!!

I believe you will find that some people earning over £100k a year will indeed be concerned over the cuts and the hikes in charges.

Your making assumptions that they wont be bothered. And who's to say that some of the folk who are earning over £100k a year are not also ordinary guys and gals slogging hard.

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 15:24

What the LibDems should have done is side with Labour and stop the Tories bringing out draconion measures against the people of Britain. I agree cuts and savings must be made due to Labour living on the never never but the cuts the Tories have proposed are hitting the poorest in society. I think you and me could make a far better job in saving money for the country!! Anyway, I think the SNP have done a decent job for Scotland in the last 4 years so they are getting my vote this year, just because you vote for them it doesnt have to mean you want to break away from Britain does it?
And in answer to the other question, if you were earning £100,000 a year would you be so worried about the cuts? If you were a Disabled Pensioner on £6000 a year would you be worried about the cuts? I think I know what your answers will be !!!

Yes but here is the issue, what exactly is hitting pensioners on 6k a year that are disabled? What policy or cut or combination of the two?

The rich pay enough for this country. Too much actually. Your a top rate tax payer you already work more for the govt than yourself as they take 50% plus a massive national insurance contribution, and that's wrong as you should never work for the govt more than yourself.

You and I are the ones that eat up billions we dont pay in. SO here is what I would do to bridge the gap:

VAT on everything, with it set at 10% for items like kids clothes and food.
Penny in the pound on income tax for all basic earners and the next band up too.
Means test higher rate benefits, with entitlement being review every 5 years (bit like they propose just now)
Slightly cut business rates to try and encourage start ups.
Centralize admin and services particularly in rural areas (like here) and ensure this is done for every area across the country. Prime example being the dunbar dental clinic. Instead of the millions spent on it, run a free bus 3 times a day through to the half empty lochshell. Save a fortune.
Re-instate prescription charges, at least partially, but still free with an exemption card.
Close underused schools and do it quickly. They are a monumental drain on finances and if someone has to get a bus for 15 minutes in the morning then so be it.

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 15:27
I could not have put that better, well done. If we Scots choose the Independance route, we will end up like Iceland is at the moment, broke.

Turkeys voting for xmas. It would be a financial debacle of the highest order. If we also took out share of the national debt, it would be somewhere in the region of £70bn! Thats about 14k for every man woman and child in scotland. This of course would be westministers fault!

Walter Ego
11-Apr-11, 15:47

What the LibDems should have done is side with Labour and stop the Tories bringing out draconion measures against the people of Britain. I agree cuts and savings must be made due to Labour living on the never never ............

C3.....

So your answer is that LibDem should have gone into partnership with the very people who caused the Godawful mess in the first place?:eek:

Anyone who believes giving that horrendous apology of a Government another crack of the whip after abysmally squandering our wealth for so many years is a sensible option needs their head examining!
Unfortunately, we are still living in a landscape populated by gullible people who hold some idiotic outdated notion of 'Tories for Toffs' and 'Labour for the salt of the earth hard working types'. The proof is in the pudding, numpties leaving LibDem in droves because they had the audacity to get themselves in a position where they might actually be able to influence policy instead of tut-tutting on the sidelines.

Their crime? Daring to go against the Labour Party and side with the perceived 'old enemy'. Ridiculous attitude. Next some idiot will be wailing on about Maggie. That was thirty years ago, get over it.

What would Labour do? Take the soft option, blame some 'Fat Cats' for all their problems and pish even more money up the wall. We live in tough times, this is no place for weak-willed faux Carebear politics. Broon and Blair had their chance - they screwed it up for ALL of us.

Move forward.

joxville
11-Apr-11, 15:51

The fact they have Scottish in their name means they have Scottish interests at heart, not English; it's up to you as a voter to decide whether you agree/disagree with them. :roll:

totally agree.

Or because they know them.

Actually, Gail is friend of mine, and though I don't agree with her choice of party whilst they have a tumshie leading them, and I wouldn't have voted for her had I been able to, I admire her for having the gumption to stand up for what she believes in; I also congratulated her on her win, maybe she will make a difference.

It's easy to come on a forum and whinge about the state of the country or political parties, I've done it myself, but if you feel so strongly about it then put yourself forward as a candidate at the next election.

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 15:57
The fact they have Scottish in their name means they have Scottish interests at heart, not English; it's up to you as a voter to decide whether you agree/disagree with them.

I see they got to you!

Amazingly I am scottish and they dont have my interests at heart. And perhaps you could remind me what the scottish interests are that we dont share with the rest of britain and that only the SNP can appreciate?

And would you agree the BNP have britains interests at heart?

joxville
11-Apr-11, 16:07

I see they got to you!

Amazingly I am scottish and they dont have my interests at heart. And perhaps you could remind me what the scottish interests are that we dont share with the rest of britain and that only the SNP can appreciate?

And would you agree the BNP have britains interests at heart?

Nah, they ain't got to me yet mate, I've never voted SNP in my life, though I may do it someday. I've voted for various parties in the past depending on where I lived at the time, I voted for the candidate, not the party.

Okay, I shall alter my statement slightly. The SNP claim to have Scottish interests at heart, what they are I don't know. :D

As for the BNP, you don't need to have a PhD to know what they really stand for.

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 16:56
No, fair point. They claim indeed.

Its in scotlands interests to have the worlds largest financial market doing some of its heave ho in their behalf, or to have money borrowed at the rates the UK govt can get it at (ireland were paying about double the interest we were even in the boom years) or even to have access to the massive english market seeing as so much of what leaves scotland goes there. Very un-scottish

Corrie 3
11-Apr-11, 17:11
So your answer is that LibDem should have gone into partnership with the very people who caused the Godawful mess in the first place?:eek:

Anyone who believes giving that horrendous apology of a Government another crack of the whip after abysmally squandering our wealth for so many years is a sensible option needs their head examining!
Unfortunately, we are still living in a landscape populated by gullible people who hold some idiotic outdated notion of 'Tories for Toffs' and 'Labour for the salt of the earth hard working types'. The proof is in the pudding, numpties leaving LibDem in droves because they had the audacity to get themselves in a position where they might actually be able to influence policy instead of tut-tutting on the sidelines.

Their crime? Daring to go against the Labour Party and side with the perceived 'old enemy'. Ridiculous attitude. Next some idiot will be wailing on about Maggie. That was thirty years ago, get over it.

What would Labour do? Take the soft option, blame some 'Fat Cats' for all their problems and pish even more money up the wall. We live in tough times, this is no place for weak-willed faux Carebear politics. Broon and Blair had their chance - they screwed it up for ALL of us.

Move forward.
I take it you will be voting Tory then Walter?
Never mind!!!!!

C3......[disgust]:roll:

peter macdonald
11-Apr-11, 18:48
"I could not have put that better, well done. If we Scots choose the Independance route, we will end up like Iceland is at the moment, broke"

Oh why Iceland?? Why not Finland Denmark Norway or Sweden who are far from broke??

ps..here is one benefit of being railroaded by a Westminster Govt not giving a jot for Scotland.
http://www.alastairmcintosh.com/Articles/1998_herald_fishing.htm
The piece was written 13 years ago...Nothing has changed for the better..In fact I witnessed around 30% of the UK seine net fleet at work a few weeks ago As I looked from my living room window I saw the Boy Andrew and the Opportune fishing in the distance..Aye do the maths ..its not pretty!!

annemarie482
11-Apr-11, 18:49

Move forward.

good post.
and i do believe it is an "outdated notion of 'Tories for Toffs' and 'Labour for the salt of the earth hard working types" along with a younger generation brainwashed by parents with the above notions.
a time for change was a long time coming, and lets face it, it was never going to be a walk in the park whoever had got in. someone has to tighten the belts to put us back on track and they were never going to be loved for doing it.

Corrie 3
11-Apr-11, 19:20
good post.
and i do believe it is an "outdated notion of 'Tories for Toffs'
If you believe that the Tories are for anybody other than people with money you have indeed been brainwashed annemarie. Why have all the cuts so far only affected ordinary working men and women? I didnt see a supertax put on Rolls Royce's, Jaguars, Luxury yachts, million pound mansions etc, etc. Why didnt they start at the top and work their way down instead of starting at the bottom and working their way up to the richest.?
But dont forget......"We are all in this together" says Cameron, and if you believe that then you will believe anything!!

C3....[disgust]:roll:

ducati
11-Apr-11, 19:33
If you believe that the Tories are for anybody other than people with money you have indeed been brainwashed annemarie. Why have all the cuts so far only affected ordinary working men and women? I didnt see a supertax put on Rolls Royce's, Jaguars, Luxury yachts, million pound mansions etc, etc. Why didnt they start at the top and work their way down instead of starting at the bottom and working their way up to the richest.?
But dont forget......"We are all in this together" says Cameron, and if you believe that then you will believe anything!!

Just for clarity, what cuts precisely are you talking about?

I am only asking because I am an ordinary working person and I haven't been affected by any cuts that I am aware of so far. In fact because of the lift in Tax threshold, I think I am probably considerably better off.

Walter Ego
11-Apr-11, 20:31
I take it you will be voting Tory then Walter?
Never mind!!!!!

C3......[disgust]:roll:

You'd have lost money if you'd bet on it. I'm not interested in dinosaur politics, I'm interested in moving Scotland forward. And you don't move forward by giving control to the very people who got you into the mess in the first place.

Labour are sacked. And with good reason. Only a company of clowns would side with an outfit that has screwed up so gloriously.

Walter Ego
11-Apr-11, 20:34
"I could not have put that better, well done. If we Scots choose the Independance route, we will end up like Iceland is at the moment, broke"

Oh why Iceland?? Why not Finland Denmark Norway or Sweden who are far from broke??

ps..here is one benefit of being railroaded by a Westminster Govt not giving a jot for Scotland.
The piece was written 13 years ago...Nothing has changed for the better..In fact I witnessed around 30% of the UK seine net fleet at work a few weeks ago As I looked from my living room window I saw the Boy Andrew and the Opportune fishing in the distance..Aye do the maths ..its not pretty!!

Ah, Norway.

The fallback setting when Shangrila is being discussed........how wonderful it could be if we were like Norway....

Has anyone mentioned Oil yet?;)

Walter Ego
11-Apr-11, 20:41

Laughable rubbish. You appear to have a problem with anyone who has more wealth than you?

Inverted snobbery is an ugly thing.....

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 21:12

Well incase you havent figured it out, its quite simply because we are run at a loss, these countries arent. Plus Norway has monumental levels of oil to fall back on, where as we dont. And thirdly, Sweden and Denmark pay way mroe tax than us. Ever hear the phrase "American taxes, scandinavian services"....i'll let you figure out what that means.

And as for iceland, here is why. The bail out of the banks, with shares buys, insurance schemes and liquidity pumped into the system cost about £500bn. The vast majority of that was for HBOS and RBS, scottish banks. Thats 8x our GDP. had scotland been independent we would have been forced to go cap in hand to the english government and ask for half a trillion quid, to be paid back over the next 1000 years. Thats the situation Iceland is in.

But dont let reality get in the way of nationalism!

weezer 316
11-Apr-11, 21:14

So you would cost the people that make jaguar cars and yachts, normal working class people, their jobs as people wouldnt buy them. They in turn wouldn pay income tax, and the tax you levied on the jag wouldnt be paid as they wouldnt be bought.........do you see now?

Enough of the we the little man, any ideas bar tax the rich more and more despite the fact they pay for the services you consume?

Corrie 3
11-Apr-11, 21:44
despite the fact they pay for the services you consume?
What are these services that I consume Weezer?.. I have paid tax and NI for almost 50 years and have had very little back in what you describe as services !
There will always be people who have money who will buy the luxury goods rather than pay their taxes, have you never heard of the Company Jet, the Company Yacht or the Company Jag? Only yesterday I read that a sitting MP tried to get expenses for a DVD, thankfully this time he was blocked, please dont tell me that this Guy pays for the services that I consume, it sounds like the other way round to me!!

Corrie 3
11-Apr-11, 21:48
You appear to have a problem with anyone who has more wealth than you?

It depends on how the wealth was come about Walter....and.......whether they pay their correct taxes or not!!

C3....[disgust][disgust]

ducati
11-Apr-11, 22:25
Just for clarity, what cuts precisely are you talking about?

I am only asking because I am an ordinary working person and I haven't been affected by any cuts that I am aware of so far. In fact because of the lift in Tax threshold, I think I am probably considerably better off.

Question too difficult?

I am quite cross with you C3. There are a lot of people talking like you at the moment. It is creating a sense of outrage in the nation. When you question what people are outraged about, there is an uncomfortable silence. (or an incoherent rant). [disgust]

gleeber
11-Apr-11, 22:31
From where I'm sitting I don't think the cuts have set in yet. Its all the doom and gloom. Its worse than cuts. :lol:

ducati
11-Apr-11, 22:40
What are these services that I consume Weezer?.. I have paid tax and NI for almost 50 years and have had very little back in what you describe as services !
There will always be people who have money who will buy the luxury goods rather than pay their taxes, have you never heard of the Company Jet, the Company Yacht or the Company Jag? Only yesterday I read that a sitting MP tried to get expenses for a DVD, thankfully this time he was blocked, please dont tell me that this Guy pays for the services that I consume, it sounds like the other way round to me!!

If you have a company Jag you pay a disproportionate amount of tax. It became more cost effective for me to give up the company car and buy my own.

gleeber
11-Apr-11, 23:06
If you have a company Jag you pay a disproportionate amount of tax. It became more cost effective for me to give up the company car and buy my own.
Oh aye, tax avoidance. :roll:

ducati
11-Apr-11, 23:14

'fraid so :lol:

golach
11-Apr-11, 23:17

its no illegal, just immoral

gleeber
11-Apr-11, 23:47
Cheepers golach I widna call Ducati immoral. Its no right though. :lol:

ducati
12-Apr-11, 07:50
Er...hands up everyone who goes out of their way, to pay as much tax as possible?:Razz

they'll only go and give it to illegal immigrants anyway mutter mutter mutter.....

weezer 316
12-Apr-11, 08:53

Nothing in return!?! Ever spent mroe than a day in hospital? Or even visit a doctor What about attended school? Driven on the roads? How about called the police? Or perhaps been lifted?

If you had done any reasonable combination of the above your in debt to these rich people who can afford jags and yachts. If you have even spent a week in hospital Id guarantee you entire national insurance contribution has been wiped out and probably exceeed.

The top 1% pay nearly 30% of the tax in this country my friend.

Now fancy answering Walters or even my questions? Or just more tubthumping?

Corrie 3
12-Apr-11, 08:56
Question too difficult?

I am quite cross with you C3. There are a lot of people talking like you at the moment. It is creating a sense of outrage in the nation. When you question what people are outraged about, there is an uncomfortable silence. (or an incoherent rant). [disgust]
Sorry Ducati, pleased dont be cross with me but woudnt it have been easier for you to read the news than for me to type everything down that the Tories have savaged?
Ok, lets start with not a cut but an increase, VAT up to 20%...has that not affected you at all? I think its affected just about every man,woman and child in Britain so far so if you have escaped it you are very lucky indeed. Are you happy to pay £120 for something only valued at £100?
Winter fuel payments for the elderly, probably doesnt affect you yet but for millions its a lifeline in keeping warm. Instead of cutting it for everyone it should have been means tested. Thousands of people losing their jobs, again probably doesnt affect you yet but it will because people will not have the money to splash out on services like yours and my Daughters who is struggling because people are hanging onto their money!
I could go on, Tuiton fee's, health care for the elderly, increase in NI contributions, I will stop there because I dont have all day. Its strange though isnt it?...If we pulled out of Afghanistan, Libya and cut the oversea's aid I am sure the deficit would be made good much sooner than hitting all of the people in Britain who can least afford it!!

Corrie 3
12-Apr-11, 09:05
Nothing in return!?! Ever spent mroe than a day in hospital? Or even visit a doctor What about attended school? Driven on the roads? How about called the police? Or perhaps been lifted?

If you had done any reasonable combination of the above your in debt to these rich people who can afford jags and yachts. If you have even spent a week in hospital Id guarantee you entire national insurance contribution has been wiped out and probably exceeed.

The top 1% pay nearly 30% of the tax in this country my friend.

Now fancy answering Walters or even my questions? Or just more tubthumping?
Yes I went to school many, many years ago but my Parents were paying their taxes at that time to contribute to my schooling. Never been in hospital and very rarely visit the Doc's but have paid 50 years of NI. Never had to call the police but paid 45 years of rates/polltax/council tax. Never been lifted! Drove all my life but lost count of the Road tax/fuel duty/vat on fuel I have paid over 45 years. Have also lost count of how much I have paid in tobacco and alcohol duty!!!

ducati
12-Apr-11, 09:14
Sorry Ducati, pleased dont be cross with me but woudnt it have been easier for you to read the news than for me to type everything down that the Tories have savaged?
Ok, lets start with not a cut but an increase, VAT up to 20%...has that not affected you at all? I think its affected just about every man,woman and child in Britain so far so if you have escaped it you are very lucky indeed. Are you happy to pay £120 for something only valued at £100?
Winter fuel payments for the elderly, probably doesnt affect you yet but for millions its a lifeline in keeping warm. Instead of cutting it for everyone it should have been means tested. Thousands of people losing their jobs, again probably doesnt affect you yet but it will because people will not have the money to splash out on services like yours and my Daughters who is struggling because people are hanging onto their money!
I could go on, Tuiton fee's, health care for the elderly, increase in NI contributions, I will stop there because I dont have all day. Its strange though isnt it?...If we pulled out of Afghanistan, Libya and cut the oversea's aid I am sure the deficit would be made good much sooner than hitting all of the people in Britain who can least afford it!!

You mean £120 for something valued at £117? Don't really notice. I didn't notice when it was reduced either. And you are right, none of the rest effect me, as an ordinary working person.

Fuel costs are very high, and would be higher still if the Gov were not protecting us in a number of ways.

I agree about all the wars, but not overseas aid. :)

golach
12-Apr-11, 09:19
. Have also lost count of how much I have paid in tobacco and alcohol duty!!!C3....

Thank you for paying so much, now I know who is paying me my massive pension from HMC&E [lol]

Corrie 3
12-Apr-11, 09:21
Thank you for paying so much, now I know who is paying me my massive pension from HMC&E [lol]

You are welcome Gollach, I am glad its gone to some good and not been spent on some MP's duckhouse!!!!!!

C3......:roll:[lol]

Corrie 3
12-Apr-11, 09:24
You mean £120 for something valued at £117? Don't really notice. I didn't notice when it was reduced either. And you are right, none of the rest effect me, as an ordinary working person.

Fuel costs are very high, and would be higher still if the Gov were not protecting us in a number of ways.

I agree about all the wars, but not overseas aid. :)
I hope you carry on being an ordinary working person Ducati and dont end up having to rely on benefits. I hope you are saving for your old age as well because boy are you going to need it!!

C3....:roll:

pmcd
12-Apr-11, 09:28
I feel nothing but sadness for the people at the bottom of the financial pile through no fault of their own: they should - indeed MUST be supported by society in the form of social and governmental intervention to provide a life of continuing hope and dignity. Without getting into "Four Yorkshiremen" territory, I did spend a few months sharing an airing cupboard in a cellar with a Canadian hippie, living off bread, butter and marmalade with the odd tin of beans.....(cue violins!) and it very quickly became wretched.

As to the rest: we - yes WE got ourselves into this mess by "needing" more and more "stuff" - even that which we couldn't afford. We took out silly mortgages, daft loans, and risible credit card debts just to big ourselves up in front of the world, and make up for the spiritual deficit within ourselves. The instant gratification was nice for as long as it lasted, but the formula "new flatscreen TV £800.00, happy for a few weeks - payments to Capital Nazi every month for 5 long, debilitating years (and total payments with credit of £1200.00" is not one which offers much lasting joy.....

We even invented something called "comparative poverty". At one stage, when the Memsahib and I were what might be called comparative "big earners", she came home from her job in the Department of Stealth and Total Obscurity, and laughingly protested that according to the new DHSS (DWP) guidelines, we, as a family existed in "poverty" because

a) Neither of us had a car
b) We didn't take foreign holidays
c) We didn't have a dishwasher
d) We had four children in a home which was only a semi with three bedrooms

Apparently, we were deemed to be "in poverty".......!

This stays with me, and informs my thinking on the subject.

Corrie 3 - some good points, but can I just pick up the VAT point? You say " Are you happy to pay £120 for something only valued at £100?". There are a couple of answers to that one:

1. The "value" of the item lies with me and what I am prepared to pay for it - the "cost". If the cost becomes too expensive I use the magic formula "I can't afford it", or I drop something else off the list.

2. If it used to cost £117.50, and now it costs £120.00, this is a marginal rise of 2.5%, not a sudden impost of 20%. The strap line is "20%" in BIG BLOCK CAPITALS. The truth is the lesser figure of 2.5% - not so attractive to the Daily Mail Headline Jockey!

Standing at the bus stop, and watching the gaz-guzzling, shiny great motorised tanks shrieking down the A9 at silly mph convinces me that the "cuts" haven't really bit yet. (I'm sure you can get a nice car at much lower cost which does the job!) Folks, we got ourselves into billions of debt. Yes, us. We failed to deal with the governments of the world, our own country, the banks, and our own cupidity.It's all got to be paid for. Or our kids, and their kids get to pay off our debts. And THAT is obscene.

ducati
12-Apr-11, 12:27
I hope you carry on being an ordinary working person Ducati and dont end up having to rely on benefits. I hope you are saving for your old age as well because boy are you going to need it!!

C3....:roll:

I learned a long time ago (redundancies etc) not to rely on anyone else to make my living. Also not to overly rely on any one
means of earning a living. Hence I now enjoy a portfolio working life. Anyone can do it, I strongly recommend it, you never get bored, you can concentrate at any one time on the most profitable revenue stream, and most importantly, you benefit from being self employed without the worry or expense of having to employ anyone else.

weezer 316
12-Apr-11, 12:48
Yes I went to school many, many years ago but my Parents were paying their taxes at that time to contribute to my schooling. Never been in hospital and very rarely visit the Doc's but have paid 50 years of NI. Never had to call the police but paid 45 years of rates/polltax/council tax. Never been lifted! Drove all my life but lost count of the Road tax/fuel duty/vat on fuel I have paid over 45 years. Have also lost count of how much I have paid in tobacco and alcohol duty!!!

Yes and there is the point, your taxes dont cover this things! Your parent paid taxes, but it costs about 12k a year to educate a child! I would bet my house, adjusted for inflation, without taking into account any other services you have used, that all your NI, tax, VAT and road tax whatever else combined doesnt even cover your schooling!

And less we forget your parent taxes had to cover the the service they consumed as well!

You dont pay enough, and neither do I. Less of the "its the rich fault" we have been living in a dream for 10 years and you just refuse to accept it, and the ones who have been living that dream are you and me so stop blaming rich people and being bitter.

And to underwrite all this, you dont have a right to healthcare, or education, or anything else. If you want it, you need to pay for it. The belief that people have a god given right to anything is as bad as the deficit itself and produces people like you

Corrie 3
12-Apr-11, 13:13
And to underwrite all this, you dont have a right to healthcare, or education, or anything else. If you want it, you need to pay for it. The belief that people have a god given right to anything is as bad as the deficit itself and produces people like you
Excuse me Weezer, after all the taxes that the Govt's over the years have placed upon me, I have paid every penny over the last 50 years, I know I dont have a given right to anything at all but I do expect to be warm and fed in my old age.
Btw, how much have you paid in over the years?....Not as much as I have I bet!!!

C3.....:roll:;)

weezer 316
12-Apr-11, 13:25
Private pension no?

Mate not close to paying it and you know it. Plus in old age you are far more likely to visit the hospital. What then? More services you havent paid for! Yet you believe you haven!

Id bet you have paid in way more than me seeing as I am only 27 although I have 10 years of working constantly behind me. The point is we need to pay more. Wayne Rooneys gf had her baby, hes ppaid 1000x over for the cost of that....so why should he pay more seeing as he actually pays for what he uses?

And you never answered the point about taxing jaguars and yachts and the impact on jobs. But then thats a hard neetle to grasp eh? Why bother when you can live on the never never like you are suggesting!

Im delighted my generation is far more informed than yours. We will be bankrupt within 10 years if we held your beliefs.

Corrie 3
12-Apr-11, 13:31
Im delighted my generation is far more informed than yours. We will be bankrupt within 10 years if we held your beliefs.
You carry on voting Tory Weezer, its your choice but just remember what happened last time, how many people lost their jobs and their homes!!!!!
I am going with the SNP in the hope that they dont want me to die in my 60's like the Tories do!!!
I am outta here now as I have no internet for a few days but just ask yourself one question Weezer..."Am I right in everything I say?".....cos thats how you come over to me, typical Tory attitude!!!

C3......:roll:;)

RecQuery
12-Apr-11, 13:34
The Conservative guy, Michael Carr even if I didn't disagree with the party ideologically. The guy had an Inverness address and I don't see how someone living in Inverness could be the Wick councilor.

I actually think that candidates who haven't lived in an area for 6 months (ideally 1 year) shouldn't be allowed on the ballot.

weezer 316
12-Apr-11, 13:45
You carry on voting Tory Weezer, its your choice but just remember what happened last time, how many people lost their jobs and their homes!!!!!
I am going with the SNP in the hope that they dont want me to die in my 60's like the Tories do!!!
I am outta here know as I have no internet for a few days but just ask yourself one question Weezer..."Am I right in everything I say?".....cos thats how you come over to me, typical Tory attitude!!!

C3......:roll:;)

haha! Your mad! The probelm aint the tories, its you. You and people like you. Take care of yourself and pay your way. You want these things, pay more for them. And I noticed you never answered the point about wayne rooney!?! Typical nationalist. Live on the never never and expect others to pay for it.

And remember SNP or tory or whatever, it aint a football team sunshine. You pick who can do what needs to be done. The SNP clearly cant and definetly dont want to, they just want to offer freebies we cant afford so gullible old people like you vote for them

RecQuery
12-Apr-11, 14:03
haha! Your mad! The probelm aint the tories, its you. You and people like you. Take care of yourself and pay your way. You want these things, pay more for them. And I noticed you never answered the point about wayne rooney!?! Typical nationalist. Live on the never never and expect others to pay for it.

I agree with this in theory, I'm all about fairness provided it applies to all and that includes corporations, people being paid obscene amounts of money and tax cheats. I find myself agreeing with the Tories on the odd policy in principle every so often. I'm not anti-wealth I just don't see why people who game the system should get off with it and then call it personal success. I don't see why anyone needs to make more than 10 times the salary of their lowest paid employee or why some professions seem to need bonuses but others don't, I don't see why everyone in the country should fund the lifestyles of an over-privileged few.

I understand and agree with efficiency savings, cracking down on people who game the benefits system and all that, it just seems to disproportionally affect the lower end of the socio-economic scale. We should also require MPs to be frugal with government expenses, go after tax cheats, regulate government contracts and PFRs, close tax loopholes etc. I would introduce all of these by implementing whichever made the most money first.

peter macdonald
12-Apr-11, 16:39
Ah, Norway.

The fallback setting when Shangrila is being discussed........how wonderful it could be if we were like Norway....

Has anyone mentioned Oil yet?;)

I also mentioned non Norwegian countries such as Finland Sweden and Denmark.......As for oil if you find any in Sweden or Finland please let the inhabitants know...They would be glad to hear from you

weezer 316
12-Apr-11, 16:45
I agree with this in theory, I'm all about fairness provided it applies to all and that includes corporations, people being paid obscene amounts of money and tax cheats. I find myself agreeing with the Tories on the odd policy in principle every so often. I'm not anti-wealth I just don't see why people who game the system should get off with it and then call it personal success. I don't see why anyone needs to make more than 10 times the salary of their lowest paid employee or why some professions seem to need bonuses but others don't, I don't see why everyone in the country should fund the lifestyles of an over-privileged few.

I understand and agree with efficiency savings, cracking down on people who game the benefits system and all that, it just seems to disproportionally affect the lower end of the socio-economic scale. We should also require MPs to be frugal with government expenses, go after tax cheats, regulate government contracts and PFRs, close tax loopholes etc. I would introduce all of these by implementing whichever made the most money first.

Well im sorry but the market is the market. It literally puts a shirt on your back and enables the life we lead today in the west to continue. And I seriously doubt you, or anyone else on here, would turn down an "obscene" wage and cite my feelings as the reason.

And asking why they majority of the country should fun the over-privelaged few, the same case could easily be made for those truly at the bottom of the supply line, like the miners in open shafts in the congo digging out minerals for an absolute pittance. Now are you going to voluntarily ship your wages to them seeing as you are as far ahead of them in the payscale as Richard branson is you?

RecQuery
12-Apr-11, 20:43
Well im sorry but the market is the market. It literally puts a shirt on your back and enables the life we lead today in the west to continue. And I seriously doubt you, or anyone else on here, would turn down an "obscene" wage and cite my feelings as the reason.

And asking why they majority of the country should fun the over-privelaged few, the same case could easily be made for those truly at the bottom of the supply line, like the miners in open shafts in the congo digging out minerals for an absolute pittance. Now are you going to voluntarily ship your wages to them seeing as you are as far ahead of them in the payscale as Richard branson is you?

I like how you deride logical fallacies and dodgy debate tactics in one thread yet embrace and wield them in another. I thought I was rather relaxed and non-confrontational, evidently not. Apologies if I have stepped on your dogma (I use that word advisedly). You must believe in psychics as you're obviously able to read my mind and work out what I'd do in certain situations. Also according to the market we should have let a lot of things fail, strange how the market is quoted as a reason when the majority get screwed but it's never allowed to happen to the privileged minority.

EDIT: BTW, in theory the market should encourage the hardest workers and smartest people (and actual did at one point, near the start), in practice it does not, it encourages friends and drinking buddies and a de facto oligarchy. Unabashed market capitalism is kind of like unabashed communism, good in theory if everyone involved is fair and altruistic.

This is just in general: I don't care if people disagree with me, I kind of prefer it in a way, it allows me to test out and refine my arguments and means I'm not surrounded by sycophants or embracing groupthink. I do care if people use dodgy debate tactics, fallacies and insults though.

Walter Ego
12-Apr-11, 21:54
Nick Clegg got cornered by that annoying Labour idiot Gillian Duffy at a factory tour recently.

The transcript of the interview is rather amusing......

Mrs Duffy: Are you happy with the coalition's policies?
Mr Clegg: Overall yes I am Mrs Duffy. Of course there are things I wished we didn't have to do to cut the UK's deficit but we are where we are, and please don't forget who put us there.

Mrs Duffy: That's just the same speech you gave an hour ago.
Mr Clegg: Well nothings changed in the last hour, so it would be wouldn't it?

Mrs Duffy: Why did you choose to go into coalition with the Conservatives rather than Labour.
Mr Clegg: Well frankly Mrs Duffy, it was Labour that got us in this mess in the first place. I don't think we'd have much in common, and anyway Gordon Brown and I talked about it, but there was no way that the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats would have had enough MPs to run a government anyway.

Mrs Duffy: Let's face it, it's all gone wrong.
Mr Clegg: Look Mrs Duffy, it all started turning to a about 11 yrs ago. Can you see that the party you voted in had overspent for a decade? You're not alone, millions of others voted for Blair & Brown too, but surely even you can see it couldn't carry on like that.

Mrs Duffy: Can you look me in the eye and say you are happy with the coalition's policy decisions?
Mr Clegg: I'm as happy as I can be under the circumstances. I tell you what, whoever was in power now, any government now, would have to take difficult decisions. "If anyone's telling you from the Labour Party that somehow there's a magic wand solution, that you can do this without any controversy, they're frankly fibbing to you. Future generations would suffer if savings were not made now.

Mrs Duffy: I've just been listening to you on the television, and I've listened to you on the radio, and that's just the same speech you gave an hour ago.
Mr Clegg: As I said earlier Mrs Duffy, nothings changed in the last hour so it will be the same speech. And quite frankly it will probably be the same speech in a few months as well. I still think it's really important though.

Mrs Duffy: You've failed to convince me that the coalition was making the right decisions. It's gone wrong, Let's face it, it's all gone wrong.
Mr Clegg: Look, it's been going wrong for years, but you're a "lifelong Labour supporter" Mrs Duffy, so you'll never accept it. We're never going to agree on this and you're never going to vote for anyone unless they're wearing a red rosette, so there's no point me asking for your vote. Have a good one, I've got things to do.

[lol]

ducati
12-Apr-11, 22:00
Love it. Nick is pretty good at the old subtle put downs too.

Some one else suggested earlier the Lib Dems should have joined Labour. Then we could have had the parties that came second and third in the election governing us. A situation very likely if AV was ever adopted BTW.

Moira
12-Apr-11, 22:42
Full report is here :-

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=2215

Congratulations to Gail and good luck!

This is the reality.

Whether or not you're with the reality or the Candidate, the result is the same.

Gail has been elected. I wish her all the best. :)

weezer 316
13-Apr-11, 08:57
I like how you deride logical fallacies and dodgy debate tactics in one thread yet embrace and wield them in another. I thought I was rather relaxed and non-confrontational, evidently not. Apologies if I have stepped on your dogma (I use that word advisedly). You must believe in psychics as you're obviously able to read my mind and work out what I'd do in certain situations. Also according to the market we should have let a lot of things fail, strange how the market is quoted as a reason when the majority get screwed but it's never allowed to happen to the privileged minority.

EDIT: BTW, in theory the market should encourage the hardest workers and smartest people (and actual did at one point, near the start), in practice it does not, it encourages friends and drinking buddies and a de facto oligarchy. Unabashed market capitalism is kind of like unabashed communism, good in theory if everyone involved is fair and altruistic.

This is just in general: I don't care if people disagree with me, I kind of prefer it in a way, it allows me to test out and refine my arguments and means I'm not surrounded by sycophants or embracing groupthink. I do care if people use dodgy debate tactics, fallacies and insults though.

Im not having a go at you mate, I'm just pointing out the logical conclusion to the market serves the privelaged few argument is to show you are one of the privileged few seeing as you are on of the top 10% earners on earth and at the top of the supply chain.

And honestly, would you turn down say 5k a week on the count of me moaning about it? Ill say now I wouldnt!

I certainly agree with you on the points that a totally free market will ruin everyone in it. Its needs regulation, strong in some areas, weak in others. However to assume that the market cant turn against the ones driving or financing it it ludicrous. Lehmann brothers had the market value of a decent sized country and it went to the wall, almost joined by our two biggest banks and plenty of well to do entrepreneurs lost everything (John murray anyone?)

weezer 316
13-Apr-11, 13:13
Nick Clegg got cornered by that annoying Labour idiot Gillian Duffy at a factory tour recently.

The transcript of the interview is rather amusing......

Mrs Duffy: Are you happy with the coalition's policies?
Mr Clegg: Overall yes I am Mrs Duffy. Of course there are things I wished we didn't have to do to cut the UK's deficit but we are where we are, and please don't forget who put us there.

Mrs Duffy: That's just the same speech you gave an hour ago.
Mr Clegg: Well nothings changed in the last hour, so it would be wouldn't it?

Mrs Duffy: Why did you choose to go into coalition with the Conservatives rather than Labour.
Mr Clegg: Well frankly Mrs Duffy, it was Labour that got us in this mess in the first place. I don't think we'd have much in common, and anyway Gordon Brown and I talked about it, but there was no way that the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats would have had enough MPs to run a government anyway.

Mrs Duffy: Let's face it, it's all gone wrong.
Mr Clegg: Look Mrs Duffy, it all started turning to a about 11 yrs ago. Can you see that the party you voted in had overspent for a decade? You're not alone, millions of others voted for Blair & Brown too, but surely even you can see it couldn't carry on like that.

Mrs Duffy: Can you look me in the eye and say you are happy with the coalition's policy decisions?
Mr Clegg: I'm as happy as I can be under the circumstances. I tell you what, whoever was in power now, any government now, would have to take difficult decisions. "If anyone's telling you from the Labour Party that somehow there's a magic wand solution, that you can do this without any controversy, they're frankly fibbing to you. Future generations would suffer if savings were not made now.

Mrs Duffy: I've just been listening to you on the television, and I've listened to you on the radio, and that's just the same speech you gave an hour ago.
Mr Clegg: As I said earlier Mrs Duffy, nothings changed in the last hour so it will be the same speech. And quite frankly it will probably be the same speech in a few months as well. I still think it's really important though.

Mrs Duffy: You've failed to convince me that the coalition was making the right decisions. It's gone wrong, Let's face it, it's all gone wrong.
Mr Clegg: Look, it's been going wrong for years, but you're a "lifelong Labour supporter" Mrs Duffy, so you'll never accept it. We're never going to agree on this and you're never going to vote for anyone unless they're wearing a red rosette, so there's no point me asking for your vote. Have a good one, I've got things to do.

[lol]

Quality! She asked the same questions twice depite chiding him for saying the same thing he said an hour ago!

Walter Ego
13-Apr-11, 13:57
Quality! She asked the same questions twice depite chiding him for saying the same thing he said an hour ago!

And that is whats really sad. Clueless people parroting a certain line because "that's what they've always done/thats what my father done/thats what his father done".

Mindless parrots that will sing the praises of their party even though they've screwed us up for the past 11 years.

Orwells sheep are alive and bleating.

annemarie482
13-Apr-11, 18:13
spot on walter ego!!

(canna rep you as i have to spread it around a bit lol)