PDA

View Full Version : Domestic wind turbines

Stack Rock
07-Apr-11, 21:13
As I live in one of the most exposed parts of the county I'm interested in installing a domestic wind turbine with a capacity to generate a modest amount of electricity to lower my power costs. I'm on total control electric central heating so I'd welcome any input from org members currently generating their own power. Recommendations (and avoidance) of suppliers / installers, installation costs and any relevant info would be appreciated. Cheers

ducati
07-Apr-11, 21:28
I know a chap locally (I'm not sure he is an orger) that has ditched wind power in favour of solar. He recons it is much more efficient and cost effective.

Stack Rock
07-Apr-11, 21:35
I know a chap locally (I'm not sure he is an orger) that has ditched wind power in favour of solar. He recons it is much more efficient and cost effective.

Cheers but I don't think this is an option for me in an all electric house.

secrets in symmetry
07-Apr-11, 22:57
Dozy, saying that "electric dry central heating is a no brainer in the energy field be that grid or home generated" means that "electric dry central heating is obviously the right choice". I don't think that's what you mean.

Similarly, what exactly do you mean by "Renewable energy generated at home has to be wet electric /solar"? I imagine you are saying the central heating should be wet electric. I interpret that as radiators and a fair sized water tank, and I tend to agree. However, I don't see why the home generated electricity can't come from wind - unless your solar panels heat the water directly, bypassing the electricity generation step.

I don't know where you live Stack Rock, and I would guess you've done your homework, but there are very few places that are windy enough to make a domestic wind generator worthwhile. Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs.

Stack Rock
08-Apr-11, 07:55
[QUOTE= I don't know where you live Stack Rock, and I would guess you've done your homework, but there are very few places that are windy enough to make a domestic wind generator worthwhile. Apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs.

Thanks for your views SIS & D. Re the wind - I'm on a very exposed part of the coastal cliff a couple of miles north of Wick so no shortage of wind here. I know solar and air / ungerground sources of heat are available but I don't want to install radiators due to the upheaval involved.

northener
08-Apr-11, 08:07
In a little place called Scoraig on Little Loch Broom lives the UK's guru on home windpower generation. He's a chap called Hugh Piggott and has been instrumental in installing many domestic wind turbines.

He's written an excellent book called "It's a Breeze - A guide to choosing windpower" (ISBN: 1 89804 932 7). It's not a weighty tome, it's written in an easy to understand way and goes through all the pros and cons on windpower. He gives examoles of generating a small cottage and a primary school (with storage heaters;)).

I've been to the Scoraig community and there's a whole raft of domestic wind turbines in operation that were created and installed with help from HP.

His website is here: http://www.scoraigwind.com/

(edit) My copy was printed in 2001, so it may be OOP. If so, you may be able to order a copy through your local library.

HTH.

Commore
08-Apr-11, 11:30
Definately avoid the government incentive scheme, http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2011/03/11142409
whereas, the government may have cut the red tape with regard to planning issues,
however, the criteria, conditions and terms are or as nearly as bad if not worse than the average loan shark in my opinion anyway.

There is a reason they are targetting householders and not all householders fit the criteria, and they are stipulating for domestic use only and it does not take a genius to work out why.

Yet another red herring I am afraid.

We use renewable energy on our land and the turbine copes with most of our electrical needs, and if the battteries are charged as they should be, you can get up to 24 hrs electricity, which is good news for calm days.

Commore
08-Apr-11, 11:48
Definately avoid the government incentive scheme, http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2011/03/11142409
whereas, the government may have cut the red tape with regard to planning issues,
however, the criteria, conditions and terms are or as nearly as bad if not worse than the average loan shark in my opinion anyway.

There is a reason they are targetting householders and not all householders fit the criteria, and they are stipulating for domestic use only and it does not take a genius to work out why.

Yet another red herring I am afraid.

We use renewable energy on our land and the turbine copes with most of our electrical needs, and if the battteries are charged as they should be, you can get up to 24 hrs electricity, which is good news for calm days.

Just found this article in this morning's "Scotsman Online",
http://energyecosse.scotsman.com/viewnews.aspx?id=116
I think it is interesting that the government are apparently going all out to be seen to be embracing green energy with all new vigour, and
that they appear to be trying with all of their minority might to attract investment from all sources, however, at what cost to the general public and the taxpayers?
No one, (domestic users) in their right mind is going to invest in something which has little or no return for them.

Food as they say, for thought.

Stack Rock
08-Apr-11, 14:25
Thanks for the input so far - unfortunately its mostly negative. I'll look into northeners lead further which from first appearances also goes into self build stuff.
Is any-one else out there whos got a wind turbine willing to give a feedback about how its operating? Commore appears happy with his ones - but I'm not sure of their output.

Commore
08-Apr-11, 17:55
Well, sometimes it pays to build your own, certainly in our case it does/ AND FOR PARTS A GREAT SERVICE;http://www.navitron.org.uk/product.php?proID=69

Our original turbine came from China, http://shenzhougenerator.en.alibaba.com/ , it cost us £3,000 for turbine, batteries, inverter etc,
but it blew up after only two years,
China was very understanding and offered us a new generator for 200 USD, less than half price, however, it was the couriers who
decided to overcharge us with 770 USD for delivery, not to us, but just to the UK,

If you want to pm us, we can advise you, if you wish.

badger
08-Apr-11, 18:07
What tends to get forgotten in all this enthusiasm for domestic generation is that if you opt for the Feed In Tariff, which means you get paid not just for the surplus that goes into the Grid but also for what you use, your neighbours are paying for this via their electricity bills. I did wonder when they started that scheme how long it would be before they realised that if too many people get the FIT there are not enough others left to pay for it. Maybe they're beginning to think about that.

oldmarine
08-Apr-11, 18:40
Domestic wind turbines: They appear to be practical for power source, but the largest problem appears to be no one wants them in their neighborhood.