PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!!!

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 21:53
Can anyne give meany tips, I'm like to go crazy here. I'm trying to fit a spotlight in my kitchen. I have the light in one hand and trying to put the wires in with the other hand. When I get the wires in the hole I have to let the wire go so I have a hand free to tighten the screws, as soon as I let the wire go, it pops out of the hole and I'm back to square one. As I'm doing all this I have the screwdriver in my mouth because i cannot bend down to pick it up because I can't let the light go. How does an electrician manage? Ideally I could do with having 3 hands. There must be a knack to this what is it? :confused: :confused:

pultneytooner
04-Sep-06, 21:56
Can anyne give meany tips, I'm like to go crazy here. I'm trying to fit a spotlight in my kitchen. I have the light in one hand and trying to put the wires in with the other hand. When I get the wires in the hole I have to let the wire go so I have a hand free to tighten the screws, as soon as I let the wire go, it pops out of the hole and I'm back to square one. As I'm doing all this I have the screwdriver in my mouth because i cannot bend down to pick it up because I can't let the light go. How does an electrician manage? Ideally I could do with having 3 hands. There must be a knack to this what is it? :confused: :confused:
Try holding the wire in with the same hand you are holding the lightfitting in.

robbie_roost
04-Sep-06, 21:57
Hi there,

just a couple of suggestions....please make sure that the wires you are holding are not live!! also if you are having bother with this it may be advisable to have a professional in to do the job for you....

if you are still going ahead with this task....try to connect the longest wire first and tighten it well coz it will hold the lamp up and let you use both hands to connect the rest of the wires....if your still having problems..hmmmm

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 22:02
Hi there,

just a couple of suggestions....please make sure that the wires you are holding are not live!! also if you are having bother with this it may be advisable to have a professional in to do the job for you....

if you are still going ahead with this task....try to connect the longest wire first and tighten it well coz it will hold the lamp up and let you use both hands to connect the rest of the wires....if your still having problems..hmmmm
I did try connecting the longest wire first time, when I had to bend down for the screwdriver, the screw was as tight as I could get it but it still didn't hold.
That's why I put the screwdriver in my mouth.
I'm not having a problem attatching the thing or knowing where the wires go. It's just getting the wires to stay in place long enough to tighten the screws. I don't really see any point in paying an electrician to do it. If i goes wrong, I could do with a new hairstyle anyway lol.

pultneytooner.. I've only got wee hands, I'm not a man. ;)

Thanks for the advice though!!

willowbankbear
04-Sep-06, 22:06
Promise yer wee man a ps2 game & he`ll help.

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 22:09
Promise yer wee man a ps2 game & he`ll help.I've thought of that but I would like to be here for another Christmas..:lol:

willowbankbear
04-Sep-06, 22:12
Id soon help ye but theres tv which I havnt seen for 2 weeks,maybe wednesday if ye can wait that long

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 22:15
Id soon help ye but theres tv which I havnt seen for 2 weeks,maybe wednesday if ye can wait that long
I'm sure I can do without light until Wednesday..anything to save on the old lekky bill lol..:lol:

Ann
05-Sep-06, 01:10
How many orgers does it take to change a light bulb.......... :lol:

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 01:17
How many orgers does it take to change a light bulb.......... :lol:

Seventeen.

One to enquire

One to type an answer

And fifteen to moderate the forum.

Lolabelle
05-Sep-06, 04:07
Seventeen.

One to enquire

One to type an answer

Brilliant, lol [lol]

jambo
05-Sep-06, 07:42
u didnt get the fitting out of screwfix.

katarina
05-Sep-06, 09:21
Seventeen.

One to enquire

One to type an answer

LOL! I wanted to give you good rep for this one, but seems i have to 'spread it around' weird. I HAVEn't been spreading it around - honest!

jay
05-Sep-06, 13:25
tape the wire to the fitting leaving enough length to connect

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Sep-06, 14:57
Seventeen.

One to enquire

One to type an answer

:lol: :lol: .....hee-hee-hee.....got ma funny bone that post.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 15:55
Seventeen.

One to enquire

One to type an answer

Ohhhh social comment.........:lol:

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 16:09
How many orgers does it take to change a light bulb..........

One to post a thread announcing that they're planning to change the light bulb.

Two to reply that light bulbs are unappreciated in todays society.

Three to take a huff because candles and other alternative light sources haven't got their own threads.

Four to start other threads about the nature of light.

One to threaten to leave because of the whole "light bulb issue" as its now known.

Two who actually do leave.:(

and 259 to moderate.......

;)

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 16:12

One to post a thread announcing that they're planning to change the light bulb.

Two to reply that light bulbs are unappreciated in todays society.

Three to take a huff because candles and other alternative light sources haven't got their own threads.

Four to start other threads about the nature of light.

One to threaten to leave because of the whole "light bulb issue" as its now known.

Two who actually do leave.

and 259 to moderate.......

;)

Err, You've taken that too far!;) (from 'Chewin' the Fat')

connieb19
05-Sep-06, 17:21
Thanks for all the advice folks, you've been a great help!! :roll:

Tristan
05-Sep-06, 18:27
[QUOTE=Rheghead;130298]Seventeen.

One to enquire

One to type an answer

And fifteen to moderate the forum.[/QUOTE

You forgot the 'any extra' orgers who decide to use this tread to get e'crack or to take the thread off topic by discussing any manor of things intended or not (like how many does it take to screw in a lightbulb)

:lol:

katarina
06-Sep-06, 09:55
did you get your light fixed? Did you go to the orgers do last night?

connieb19
06-Sep-06, 18:34
did you get your light fixed? Did you go to the orgers do last night?No sucess with the light even with all the helpful advice lol. :roll: I was well fed up last night that I couldn't make the orgers do, but like you, I'm not missing the next one for anything.

Billy Boy
06-Sep-06, 18:39
No sucess with the light even with all the helpful advice lol. :roll: I was well fed up last night that I couldn't make the orgers do, but like you, I'm not missing the next one for anything.

lol you must be very frustrated by now :eek:

connieb19
06-Sep-06, 18:44
lol you must be very frustrated by now :eek:
Only when it gets dark lol.. Thanks for your advice, very helpful!! :lol:

Billy Boy
06-Sep-06, 18:47
Only when it gets dark lol.. Thanks for your advice, very helpful!! :lol:

lol try some chocolate it help's when your frustrated,i'am good wa advice me lol[lol]

Ricco
06-Sep-06, 21:13
Connie - tie a piece of string to the light fitting an the other end to a piece of wood - say, a wooden spurtle or spoon. Push the handle of the spoon or spurtle into the hole the wires come put and you should be able to let go of the fitting and leave it hanging - obviously the length of string needs to be short enough for you to attach the wires. Then you have both hands free to do up the wires.

connieb19
06-Sep-06, 21:22
Connie - tie a piece of string to the light fitting an the other end to a piece of wood - say, a wooden spurtle or spoon. Push the handle of the spoon or spurtle into the hole the wires come put and you should be able to let go of the fitting and leave it hanging - obviously the length of string needs to be short enough for you to attach the wires. Then you have both hands free to do up the wires.
Thanks Ricco, I'll give it a try. I'm going to get this light up one way or another..

Ricco
07-Sep-06, 20:47
Hey, Connie... you still alive? Did it work? Speak to me!:eek:

sam
07-Sep-06, 20:50
hey ricco what have you done to poor connie :eek:

connieb19
07-Sep-06, 22:30
Hey, Connie... you still alive? Did it work? Speak to me!I'll be ok, honest!! I'm just needing a good hairdresser now..:eek:

http://photobank.k12.sd.us/album/photos/492.jpg

Ricco
08-Sep-06, 21:11
WOW!! What a cutie! ;)

Billy Boy
24-Sep-06, 21:53
well a thought a would go and do ma good deed for the day and help out a fellow orger, connieb to get her light fitting fitted, and never have i laughed so much in all my life.
I nearly fell off the stool when i asked her to pass me the screwdriver and she passed me a screwdriver about 1inch long ( including the handle) apparently she got it out of a xmas cracker, i thought she was taking the mickey till mrs bb assured me she was being serious.:roll:
but i did manage to get it fitted but the screwdriver was that small i broke it when trying to tighted the screws, but low and behold she came oot wi another one said it came in a pack of three, so goes to show not all packs of 3 are safe[lol]

connie your priceless lol

connieb19
24-Sep-06, 22:04
well a thought a would go and do ma good deed for the day and help out a fellow orger, connieb to get her light fitting fitted, and never have i laughed so much in all my life.
I nearly fell off the stool when i asked her to pass me the screwdriver and she passed me a screwdriver about 1inch long ( including the handle) apparently she got it out of a xmas cracker, i thought she was taking the mickey till mrs bb assured me she was being serious.:roll:
but i did manage to get it fitted but the screwdriver was that small i broke it when trying to tighted the screws, but low and behold she came oot wi another one said it came in a pack of three, so goes to show not all packs of 3 are safe[lol]

connie your priceless lolLol, those crackers were brilliant, I canna wait till this year to see if i can get the toenail clippers.