PDA

View Full Version : The central

Big G
04-Sep-06, 20:33
I was in the central today with a friend having dinner at about 4.45pm. When we went in it was VERY quiet with only 1 table who were just leaving and a family round at the bouncy castle area who were also just leaving. There were 3 members of staff behind the bar chatting. When we went up to our table it was filthy so we decided to move to another table only to realise that all the tables around us were covered in crumbs and sticky coke spills that had dried up! I was quite angry at this point. The friend i was with said that several times she has been in with her family and the tables have been dirty and her aunty usually asks for a cloth. So i went to the bar and interupted their chat and asked for a cloth. They gave me one and watched me clean 2 tables and when i put it back to the bar they didn't even say thanks they just took the cloth and put it back! By this time i was getting mad! I mean it wasn't busy once the two tables that were in had left we were the only 2 in the place and we weren't in the way we were sitting in the corner up by the windows so they easily could of been round giving the tables a clean! anyway.
When we went to order our food everything was fine - i ordered chicken noodle soup and a panini. My friend ordered macaroni. When the food came i got my panini and my friend got her macaroni and i also got cauliflower soup not chicken noodle! Now last time we were in they got out order wrong as we asked for 2 macaroni's and 1 small chips with gravy - when the order came we got 2 macaroni's and 2 small chips with gravy! and we were charged for it!
after our meal we were still a bit hungry so we ordered some chips (The order was correct this time) but when i went to the bar - an underage member of staff was sitting at the bar not on duty speaking to the other bar staff! Is that not illegal? surely it cant be as some underaged staff get into skinandis... We had our chips and then we left!
Don't get me wrong the bar staff were very nice (apart from when i asked for a cloth) but i think Mr Cardosi needs to either employ some staff that can clean tables where people are going to eat their meal on or either buy some spray to clean the tables with!

Overall we had a GREAT meal out!! (i'm being sarcastic if anyone's wondering![lol] )

Bobinovich
04-Sep-06, 20:50
It sounds like you got them on an off day Big G. Everytime we've been in we've had good service and if the table hadn't been cleared or cleaned then it is pretty quickly. Orders (especially when they're busy) can occasionally be wrong but that's true of anywhere. However the food (both choice and quality) is great and there's no other place in Thurso with such facilities for kids.

Royster1911
04-Sep-06, 20:55
I agree, the staff probably had a bad day. They just seem to have too many bad days and not enough good ones. I raised this point on the forum a few month ago. So, no improvment yet Mr Cardosi. Must try harder, or even just try[disgust]

buggyracer
04-Sep-06, 21:13
hardly fair slating them on a public forum, would it not have been better to have a word with them at the time??

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 21:23
I was in the central one time. The waitress came over and took our order, i said i'd come over to the bar and order drinks. When I went over, she totally ignored me. I was pretty hacked off until a few minutes later I realised there were two waitresses who were twins and she wasn't ignoring me at all, it was the other one who had been serving me.:lol:
BTW We had a good meal and the service was good..

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 21:30
I was working today... in Top Joes. Very strange that the boys didn't tidy up. I'll pass the message on though.

Some people have off days, just like every other job. As for the soup, its quite possible that the bar staff were not quite aware that the soup had changed for the day(they sometimes do that in the afternoon).

Sorry that it wasn't up to standard though.

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 21:31
hardly fair slating them on a public forum, would it not have been better to have a word with them at the time??

Exactly... or even better, ask them to clean the table. I'm sure they wouldn't of had a problem with doing that.

Royster1911
04-Sep-06, 21:32

This may be true, but is it fair for the general public to be expected to pay these people for shoddy service?
Yes, of course you can complain to the manager / owner if you can find him on the premises but the horse has already bolted. Bit late to shut the gate.

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 21:42
Hrm... to a degree, I can understand that finding the manger can be a problem. Its hard enough for us to find him at times. However, there are other ways and means of getting your message across to management. A letter would work. It has in the past.

In all fairness though, moaning about it on a public forum isn't going to get the problem resolved. As I said to you about your original complaint all those months ago, go tell the boss. If nobody makes him aware of the problems that exist... he can hardly fix them.

buggyracer
04-Sep-06, 21:44
This may be true, but is it fair for the general public to be expected to pay these people for shoddy service?
Yes, of course you can complain to the manager / owner if you can find him on the premises but the horse has already bolted. Bit late to shut the gate.

well there should always be a manager there? and by reading the post it seems no complaint was made? if there was i appoligise, but my take on it was that none was made, which i think IS unfair not to say anything to the people who could have done something about it, but just plaster it over the internet.

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 21:49
well there should always be a manager there? and by reading the post it seems no complaint was made? if there was i appoligise, but my take on it was that none was made, which i think IS unfair not to say anything to the people who could have done something about it, but just plaster it over the internet.

Another very good point.

Royster1911
04-Sep-06, 21:57
Is it not the idea of the forum to inform and educate? I dont remember you speaking up for our councellors amidst their mistake re Asda. They were named and shamed on the forum. How many people suggested talking to them and get them to change their ways (which I did anyway).
If it looks fishy and it smells fishy,then it probably is fishy

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 21:59
Your opinion is your opinion. I don't totally agree with it, I don't have too. I think its fair enough to vent frustration, but choosing to do nothing about it stinks(of fish).

I think by signing the petition, people spoke in their own way.

Royster1911
04-Sep-06, 22:14
Your opinion is your opinion. I don't totally agree with it, I don't have too. I think its fair enough to vent frustration, but choosing to do nothing about it stinks(of fish).

I dont expect you to agree with me. Asyou rightly said, it is MY opinion. Just as it is my opinion that you have a vested interest defending your co-workers. Nothing at all wrong with that. Its what I would call The blinkered option. But, hey, thats my opinion.

I think by signing the petition, people spoke in their own way.

And do they not speak in their own way in the threads that were generated on the Asda debate? Faced, Being and Two spring to mind here[evil]

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 22:17
Yes, but the main point of that post was in fact, to get people to sign a petition, not whinge about something and not do anything about it.

Royster1911
04-Sep-06, 22:20
The poll was secondary to the posts. A spin off if you like

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 22:22
I think not. But we'll have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion, moaning about something, but not taking the steps to do anything about it is pretty pointless.

Royster1911
04-Sep-06, 22:29
Check back. You will find I am right

Will you give the same advice to everyone who starts a thread which turns out to be a moan about somthing or other? OR is it just ones involving your employer?

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 22:34
I kind of think the same about every person that moans about something. Why try and bring something down without actually trying to do anything about it. You've basically slagged off a local business to the public, but refused to do anything about it. What's the point in that?

Kids are taught from an early age to speak to someone if they are being bullied, it resolves the issue.

Think of the staff as the bully, the boss as the teacher and you as the person being bullied. Tell the teacher and the problems should go away. Just getting annoyed about it doesn't resolve the situation.

I only replied to this post as its my place of work, but my thoughts are spread across the board. Speak up(to the boss), or don't speak at all really... I just don't see the point.

buggyracer
04-Sep-06, 22:42
i personally just think it is wrong to oust or critisise someone on a public forum, royster if you didnt conduct yourself correctly at your place of work how would you feel about someone broadcasting it on a forum? i know i wouldnt like it and i hazzard a guess you wouldnt either? at the end of the day its the individuals choice to do so, but to me its a bit off?

i just feel it would have been a lot better to take action at the time.

Royster1911
04-Sep-06, 22:42
Surely the crux of the problem is the staff not being trained properly. I think your boss has been accused of this many times. If he had trained his staff properly, and they carried out their duties properly we would not be having this discussion, nice as it is. How can you defend the place when patrons had to clean the table to have their meal at and the staff encouraged it (by giving them a cloth) That beggars belief

Jeid
04-Sep-06, 22:50
i personally just think it is wrong to oust or critisise someone on a public forum, royster if you didnt conduct yourself correctly at your place of work how would you feel about someone broadcasting it on a forum? i know i wouldnt like it and i hazzard a guess you wouldnt either? at the end of the day its the individuals choice to do so, but to me its a bit off?

i just feel it would have been a lot better to take action at the time.

I agree with some of your post. I think its good to warn people of shoddy service. If someone said that somewhere in town had shoddy service, I doubt that it would bother me. I'd probably wanna see for myself actually.

I do agree that addressing the situation at the time would've been the best option.

Surely the crux of the problem is the staff not being trained properly. I think your boss has been accused of this many times. If he had trained his staff properly, and they carried out their duties properly we would not be having this discussion, nice as it is. How can you defend the place when patrons had to clean the table to have their meal at and the staff encouraged it (by giving them a cloth) That beggars belief

Out of interest, how would you deal with such a situation if you were boss and what do you think staff are missing? Just curious.

ice box
04-Sep-06, 23:06
Exactly... or even better, ask them to clean the table. I'm sure they wouldn't of had a problem with doing that.You shouldn't have to isn't that there job to do that anyway clean up after customers leave . what next will you have to cook your own meal .

ice box
04-Sep-06, 23:15
Out of interest, how would you deal with such a situation if you were boss and what do you think staff are missing? Just curious.Mmmm ... Manners would be a good start .

willowbankbear
04-Sep-06, 23:16
Ye just canna get the staff these days;) Seriously though the Central has always been tops for service when Ive ventured in there. As Jeid said , ye mustve got them on an off day(it happens mate)Its usually streets ahead of any place we have in Wick, maybe things are changing!!

ice box
04-Sep-06, 23:18
Ye just canna get the staff these days;) Seriously though the Central has always been tops for service when Ive ventured in there. As Jeid said , ye mustve got them on an off day(it happens mate)Its usually streets ahead of any place we have in Wick, maybe things are changing!!Seem to me there having to many bad days :lol:

moncur
05-Sep-06, 08:47
Im a regular at the central, I get on well with all the staff. If there is a problem with something I find that ALL the staff are very approachable and happy to help so long as u SPEAK TO THEM, not slating them off on a forum which they may not see. I think it was just an off day for whoever was behind the bar and face it, mistakes happen.

willowbankbear
05-Sep-06, 08:57
Im a regular at the central, I get on well with all the staff. If there is a problem with something I find that ALL the staff are very approachable and happy to help so long as u SPEAK TO THEM, not slating them off on a forum which they may not see. I think it was just an off day for whoever was behind the bar and face it, mistakes happen.

I think youve hit the nail on the head there Moncur

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 09:15
I think not. But we'll have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion, moaning about something, but not taking the steps to do anything about it is pretty pointless.

I disagree with you. When Big G took his/her seat and then asked for a cloth to wipe the table then the complaint 'My table is dirty, please clean it up' was implied in a typically British way rather than expressed. If the staff then failed to take the initiative and clean it up for him/her and so giving Big G complete customer satisfaction then I think his/her 'bleat' on the Org may be justified.

Naefearjustbeer
05-Sep-06, 09:31
I have always found the staff in the central to be fine, The service has always been good (apart from one soor faced beesum but I never saw her in the place again) and the food is good pub grub nothing fancy but you know what you are getting. I have gone in with my family and couldnt find a clean table, I have then gone and mentioned it at the bar that all the tables are minging and someone has come round and cleaned it up with no complaint as you would expect. However I have in the past I have spilled a drink or something and I have gone round and asked for a cloth and mopped it up myself. I am sure if you asked at the bar you would of got your table cleaned quick smart.

krieve
05-Sep-06, 09:50
Why should you have to ask staff to clean the table it's their job to do so once the customers have left . It's not the customers job to notify the staff that the table is needing cleaned. If the staff weren't to busy getting the crack with each other they would notice the tables were dirty and get on with their duties which they are paid to do.

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 09:55
I disagree with you. When Big G took his/her seat and then asked for a cloth to wipe the table then the complaint 'My table is dirty, please clean it up' was implied in a typically British way rather than expressed. If the staff then failed to take the initiative and clean it up for him/her and so giving Big G complete customer satisfaction then I think his/her 'bleat' on the Org may be justified.

Not 100% true. Big G just said that they had ask for a cloth, not a cloth to clean their table. They might've wanted a cloth for some other reason. I'm not on the defensive here, the boys weren't doing their job. No excuses. But Big G never mentioned asking for a cloth to clean their table. No need to make up fairytales here.

So i went to the bar and interupted their chat and asked for a cloth.

Lolabelle
05-Sep-06, 10:10
There is a sign that says "If you are happy with the service, tell your friends, if you're not, tell us."

I think if you are unhappy with something, you should complain to the person on duty.
Having said that, as a former restaurant owner and having worked in the hospitality industry for 20 odd years, (very odd at times), you expect that if service or food is not up to scratch, people will tell others.
It is the responsibility of the patrons to suppy a clean and healthy place to eat. If someone had asked one of my staff for a cloth and they had just handed it over and not found out why, they would have been in trouble. If the tables were left dirty and they were standing around talking, they would have been warned and if they did it again, they would be looking for a new job. This is a service industry and if the service is ordinary, soon a business will not have much of a business. Especially if there is any competition. The area we have operated restaurants in is a very busy tourist area and if we were not up to par, we would have gone broke. Our staff knew the standard, and if they were not keeping the standard up, well, it was goodbye.
Ofcourse, I do not know this business that is refered to, but I think that what I have said here applies to any business.

wannabe
05-Sep-06, 10:22
Not 100% true. Big G just said that they had ask for a cloth, not a cloth to clean their table. They might've wanted a cloth for some other reason. I'm not on the defensive here, the boys weren't doing their job. No excuses. But Big G never mentioned asking for a cloth to clean their table. No need to make up fairytales here.

If the customers had just walked in and sat down at the table, what else could they have wanted a cloth for???? I think with a bit of common sense the staff should have realised what the cloth was for, and if not then they should surely have made some comment when the cloth was returned and they had seen that the customer had used it to clean the table.

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 10:31
If the customers had just walked in and sat down at the table, what else could they have wanted a cloth for???? I think with a bit of common sense the staff should have realised what the cloth was for, and if not then they should surely have made some comment when the cloth was returned and they had seen that the customer had used it to clean the table.

Agree with this as well. I'm not here to defend my work place.

This thread should actually be in the recommendations section :roll:

I'll speak to the chaps at work and pass on the complaint.

golach
05-Sep-06, 10:41
There is a sign that says "If you are happy with the service, tell your friends, if you're not, tell us."
I think if you are unhappy with something, you should complain to the person on duty.
Having said that, as a former restaurant owner and having worked in the hospitality industry for 20 odd years, (very odd at times), you expect that if service or food is not up to scratch, people will tell others.
It is the responsibility of the patrons to suppy a clean and healthy place to eat. This is a service industry and if the service is ordinary, soon a business will not have much of a business. .
Well said Lolabelle, I too worked in the catering business, mainly as a Steward at sea, where I learnt my trade starting off as Cabin Boy aged 16, through the miriad of catering jobs that being at sea can throw up finally ending up on Passenger Liners. I then came ashore and I was also in a broad spectrum of jobs from Chef de Rang to Wine Butler and finally a Cocktail Barman. In all my Bar jobs, the emphasis on any bar staff, was to keep the bar clean and tidy, i.e. no empty glasses sitting around on tables, ash trays emptied on a regular basis, but that was in the 60's to 80's. Nowadays bar staff in many bars do not see the importantance of a clean tidy bar.
I agree all bars have their busy periods, but if there are at least two staff in a bar, at least one of the staff should be keeping an eye on the cleanliness of the bar.
And if I was Big G, I would not have asked for a cloth, I would have politely asked for a member of the staff to come and clean the table I wanted to sit at, if I got no joy then I would want to speak to the manager, if no joy there then I would find another bar far better to complain at the begining than after the fact.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 11:13
I too have Catering experience - at sea and ashore but where, really makes no difference. I was trained that the moment a table was cleared of dirty plates, glasses etc, it was cleaned, not 'if I felt like it', not 'when I felt like it', not 'because the boss is watching' and not 'cos the fussy darn customer asked for it', but straightaway. I've noticed so often in a range of 'eating places' how many times tables are cleared, not cleaned. Is this a reflection on how those self same staff are at home? I've also noticed that when tables are cleared and cleaned, its often very lethargically which simply means the operator really doesn't want to be doing that. Its probably 'boring' or 'not cool'!

I'm not making any judgements directly about any one establishment.

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 11:29
I shall quote a customer from yesterday, least I was doing something right haha...

"You're very tidy aren't you?"

I was well chuffed with myself.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 11:34
I shall quote a customer from yesterday, least I was doing something right haha...

"You're very tidy aren't you?"

I was well chuffed with myself.

That's ok perhaps but don't let that be the start of complacency.

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 11:39
I think it spurs me on to keep tidy. People are quick to criticise, but compliments are great too. Can make your day.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 11:42
I think it spurs me on to keep tidy. People are quick to criticise, but compliments are great too. Can make your day.

Having a 'feelgood factor' yourself, does that help you to 'inspire or encourage' others to take a pride in their work or 'don't you go there?

wannabe
05-Sep-06, 11:56
Have to agree with Jeid there, I've spent many years working with the public, and found that it is very difficult to keep smiling and giving it your all when you spend your days listening to people complaining! I had no idea how rude people can be, and often found myself getting shouted and sworn at purely because of the fact that I was the 1st face that they saw when they walked in the door! A kind word, where it is due, only takes a moment and can make the world of difference to someones day! :)

Lolabelle
05-Sep-06, 12:00
Have to agree with Jeid there, I've spent many years working with the public, and found that it is very difficult to keep smiling and giving it your all when you spend your days listening to people complaining! I had no idea how rude people can be, and often found myself getting shouted and sworn at purely because of the fact that I was the 1st face that they saw when they walked in the door! A kind word, where it is due, only takes a moment and can make the world of difference to someones day! :)

That's true, but you will still lose business if you don't have ALL the staff giving the same service and cleanliness.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 12:01

No argument with any of what you said, but, as the saying goes "If its too hot in the kitchen .." You know the rest of that. However, manners cost nothing and there have been times in the past when a compliment or kind word meant more to me than a tip.

changilass
05-Sep-06, 12:08
I have read, on this and other threads, people saying how hard it is to keep a smile on your face when serving miserable customers. At the end of the day, if you work in he service industry, that is part of what you are being paid for.

I worked in the service industry for years, a lot of the training was based around customer satisfaction.

Customers do not, and should not, expect to have to put up with your off days. I always found that when I started a shift, putting on a smile and being friendly was a way of escaping any personal problems for a while.

Dealing with akward customers is a challenge, why not try rising to it, instead of moaning.

wannabe
05-Sep-06, 12:16
sorry but dealing with people shouting and abusing me without good reason is not what I'd call a challenge, maybe thats just me! I have never let my 'off days' or personal problems reflect on the service I give to customers in the slightest, but why should we put with customers taking their problems out on us just because we happen to be there!!!

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 12:21
The theory is -
Don't take your problems from home to work with you and the reverse is also true, but, we are all subject at times to 'human failings', not that that is a reason for rudeness or impatience. However, we don't live in a perfect world and some amongst us can ride over things better than others.

Lolabelle
05-Sep-06, 12:24
sorry but dealing with people shouting and abusing me without good reason is not what I'd call a challenge, maybe thats just me! I have never let my 'off days' or personal problems reflect on the service I give to customers in the slightest, but why should we put with customers taking their problems out on us just because we happen to be there!!!

Gosh where do you work, to be yelled at and abused. We have asked customers to leave if they were rude to our employees.

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 12:25
There is always the waitress or proprietor who will listen to a polite and non-confrontational complainant and then still think that they were rude. Some people just can't take a criticism however small or polite.

wannabe
05-Sep-06, 12:36
Gosh where do you work, to be yelled at and abused. We have asked customers to leave if they were rude to our employees.

in a bank!!!!!!

katarina
05-Sep-06, 13:22
When we were in america the difference in the service in restaurants and cafes struck me immediately. All the staff were friendly, introducing themselves as soon as you sat down. We were never anywhere where the tables were dirty. Everywhere we went the response was the same.
'Hi there, my name is ....., I will be your server today. Now what can I do for you?' with a big smile. As soon as our coffee cups were empty, they were straight over with a free refill. And as you left it was the cheery, 'Have a nice day, now.'
Back in Scotland? We had difficulty finding a clean table. After half an hour (in an almost empty little chef) the waitress walked over, pen poised over pad and grunted.
After another long wait we were eventually served with out tea. By the time we got our meal the tea was cold (I like to wash it down)
What a difference.
As for posting this on a public forum - heat and kitchen spring to mind.

clash67
05-Sep-06, 16:40
When we were in america the difference in the service in restaurants and cafes struck me immediately. All the staff were friendly, introducing themselves as soon as you sat down. We were never anywhere where the tables were dirty. Everywhere we went the response was the same.
'Hi there, my name is ....., I will be your server today. Now what can I do for you?' with a big smile. As soon as our coffee cups were empty, they were straight over with a free refill. And as you left it was the cheery, 'Have a nice day, now.'
Back in Scotland? We had difficulty finding a clean table. After half an hour (in an almost empty little chef) the waitress walked over, pen poised over pad and grunted.
After another long wait we were eventually served with out tea. By the time we got our meal the tea was cold (I like to wash it down)
What a difference.

As for posting this on a public forum - heat and kitchen spring to mind.

I agree the quality of service we recieve over here is very poor in some establishments compared to the States where customer care is extemely good, i recall waiting to be served at the bar in Eves before it became Skinandis and after waiting at the bar for what seemed ages the barmaid sontered over to me and after taking my order she told me that she needed to change the barrels over before she could serve me the lagers I had requested, so patiently I waited and when she came back she went straight over to a group of girls that had just arrived and began serving them, patiently I waited on, she then began serving someone else at the other end of the bar so when I eventualy caught her attention I politely but firmly said "excuse me but you were in the middle of serving me and I have been waiting here the best part of an hour" her reply "if you can't wait tough" so I just left the premises in absolute disgust. I don't think I have had service that bad anywhere else in either in Uk and definately not in America.
What a poor show that kind of second class service for our tourists that come here to holiday, thankfully not all of our services are that bad but some places should pull their socks up me thinks.

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 17:33
In America, they have a very big 'tipping' culture in the bars and restaurants. I think it could work well here if adopted, it is amazing how friendly and helpful people can be if they think they're gonna get something.:D

Tristan
05-Sep-06, 18:22
In America, they have a very big 'tipping' culture in the bars and restaurants. I think it could work well here if adopted, it is amazing how friendly and helpful people can be if they think they're gonna get something.:D

I think you are correct tips can make a difference in the bars and restaurants especially when the staff need the tips to make a wage: bar and restaurant staff are paid less than minimum wage across the pond.
However, it does not explain why on average there is a comparatively higher level of service in ALL retail and service industries in North America.

Big G
05-Sep-06, 18:51
If i was working at a bar and someone asked me for a cloth to clean their own table i would be so embarrassed. I would ask them what they want it for and tell them i would come and clean what ever needed cleaned. and the sticky coke on the table had dried in - so i am guessing it was prob there from lunch time! The bar was DEAD with only about 6 customers when i went to ask for a cloth so they have no excuse 'it was busy, loads of people at the bar' to fall back on! Someone could of been round giving the tables a clean instead of speaking to the waitress from next door in the restaurant!

so what about the underaged off duty member of staff sitting at the bar speaking to the other bar staff? is it illegal - offcourse not speaking to the bar staff, but sitting at the bar??)

and also i also thought the staff were very nice - i didnt say there service was bad!

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 19:30
Not sure about the off duty member Big G. Its very possible that the member could've been a kitchen dishwasher. We try to not have them sitting at the bar.

Sorry it was a bad trip to the Central Big G. I passed on the message at work today.

Staff, just like customers have their off days. If only we could complain about customers. I know, its our job, but basic manners don't go amiss. Some people don't know their please and thanks you's. That's very deflating at times.

I fully agree that we are in this job to offer a service and getting paid to do so. However(there had to be one haha) some places are paid a lot better than others and this makes any job easier... customer service or not.

Glad the service was good though Big G... at least we're doing something right.

rockchick
05-Sep-06, 19:45
In North American waiters/waitresses/bar people get paid a pittance; their real salary is the tips that they make, so it pays them to give good service.

ice box
05-Sep-06, 20:20
Agree with this as well. I'm not here to defend my work place.
.So what have you been doing in the last two pages ?[lol]

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 20:52
Trying to get someone to see sense by complaining at the time instead of moaning about it in public. I expect them to do that, but, as I've said countless times, I don't see the point unless you address the situation at the time.

Unfortunately Big G didn't... but perhaps next time, they will.

ice box
05-Sep-06, 20:58
Trying to get someone to see sense by complaining at the time instead of moaning about it in public. I expect them to do that, but, as I've said countless times, I don't see the point unless you address the situation at the time.

Unfortunately Big G didn't... but perhaps next time, they will.In saying that people wouldn't moan if the staff did there job right in the first place but saying that what do you expect if you hire teenager .[disgust]

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 21:12
I think you should quite possibly get your facts straight. Both staff were in their 20's.

ice box
05-Sep-06, 21:22
I think you should quite possibly get your facts straight. Both staff were in their 20's.Thats even worse then they should of known there duties .

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 21:24
I don't think I've denied that. Excuse me if I have.

Yeah, they should've known their duties

ice box
05-Sep-06, 21:33
Staff retraining spring to mind .

Jeid
05-Sep-06, 21:55
Yeah... you can come in and do it :D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Sep-06, 22:00
Love the Central.No complaints at all.Treated the four of us like Royalty.Same as Spoons in Wick.No complaints,treated us like Royalty.Now thats what ye call customer service.:D

toodiemac
05-Sep-06, 23:53
The thing about the Central is that the food is always consistent - not necessarily good but you always know what your food will taste like. Childrens menu is awful (Jamie Oliver would be horrified at the junk). If we go with kids to sit in kids area I always take antiseptic wipes because tables are consistently filthy and sticky. Floor so yuk that we just throw away kiddies socks after every visit. We all enjoy the food though!!!

mareng
06-Sep-06, 08:15
There is always the waitress or proprietor who will listen to a polite and non-confrontational complainant and then still think that they were rude. Some people just can't take a criticism however small or polite.

Absolutely correct.

Back to the original post - perhaps it should have gone in the "Recommended" section? I see nothing wrong with the post, however - I'd be fuming if I had to ask for a cloth and the staff then watched me clean the tables - I would have left then and headed for the keyboard!

moncur
06-Sep-06, 08:37
The thing about the Central is that the food is always consistent - not necessarily good but you always know what your food will taste like. Childrens menu is awful (Jamie Oliver would be horrified at the junk). If we go with kids to sit in kids area I always take antiseptic wipes because tables are consistently filthy and sticky. Floor so yuk that we just throw away kiddies socks after every visit. We all enjoy the food though!!!

Why do u let your kids run around in just their socks? I've never understood this. Fair enough they have to take their shoes off for the bouncy castle but parents should make them put their shoes back on before running around. After all it is like any pub, where food/drinks get spilt and glasses get broken. I know that the staff do clean up messes like this immediately but people should err on the side of safety because you never know where a tiny bit of glass could be even after a breakage gets swept up.

Naefearjustbeer
06-Sep-06, 09:44

Why the hell do you keep going back if you think it is so bad??

DrSzin
06-Sep-06, 09:52
I think you are correct tips can make a difference in the bars and restaurants especially when the staff need the tips to make a wage: bar and restaurant staff are paid less than minimum wage across the pond.
However, it does not explain why on average there is a comparatively higher level of service in ALL retail and service industries in North America.Agreed. It's somehow built into the culture to give good polite service.

In North American waiters/waitresses/bar people get paid a pittance; their real salary is the tips that they make, so it pays them to give good service.Absolutely, but as you well know, the chatty good service is more prevalent than that. It's the same in shops, for example. Indeed, I experienced it this morning when I nipped into my local M&S Foodstore to buy something for lunch whilst I waited for the bank to open at 9. The woman on the till was American (I think), and she greeted me with the obligatory smile and a cheery "Hi, how are you today?" We went through the usual rigmarole of small talk, and she ended with a snappy "Have a nice day," (or something vaguely similar.)

I've heard many Brits in America dismiss this cheery friendliness as false, but I think they're wrong. It's built into the culture and that's surely a good thing. We on this side of the pond could also learn a few lessons in politeness from our transatlantic cousins. (I haven't spent much time in Canada and my last visit was in 1983, so I can't really venture a serious opinion there. But my recollections are that service is just as good as, and perhaps better than, in the States.)

As for the dirty tables at the Central. I would have informed the staff that there were no clean tables - in full expectation that they would have cleaned the lot. There is no way I would have done it myself.

j4bberw0ck
06-Sep-06, 10:08
I've heard many Brits in America dismiss this cheery friendliness as false, but I think they're wrong. It's built into the culture and that's surely a good thing. We on this side of the pond could also learn a few lessons in politeness from our transatlantic cousins.

Agreed. I used to travel to the US up to four times a year, and went all over the place. It's inbuilt, they don't confuse "service" with "servility" as we seem to do in the UK, customers (in my experience) treat servers with respect, and servers return it.

We could certainly learn about politeness and respect for others from them.

and if anyone mentions the US and Iraq I swear I will seek you out wherever you may hide and vomit in your lap :lol::lol: <--- this is a joke, OK?

golach
06-Sep-06, 10:28
Agreed. I used to travel to the US up to four times a year, and went all over the place. It's inbuilt, they don't confuse "service" with "servility" as we seem to do in the UK, customers (in my experience) treat servers with respect, and servers return it.
We could certainly learn about politeness and respect for others from them.

I am going to be the devils advocate on this one, I dissagree that our cousins over the pond are better at providing service than us. I was in my early years in the catering trade and as a Steward on passenger liners, I had to rely on graturities to earn a living wage ( and we were taxed on them whether you got them or not) , so I had to be polite or no gratuity.
Then the Catering industry intoduced "Service Charges" this effectively did away with the habit of giving a gratutity. So IMHO this meant service went downhill from then on.
In my recent life as a retired person, I have worked for both Asda and Sainsburys and the staff training make a very big thing in instructing their staff if you are at a till, to make eye contact, speak politlely, and be helpful, on the shop floor also, if stopped by a customer and asked a question, you were expected to give that customer your full attention, (they could be the mystery shopper) yes both stores employ such people to go around and assess customer service.
I am now providing another service type job as a Tour Guide, and this is one job you HAVE to be polite, but strangely we get very few tips on this job, and we are not allowed to tout for them either.
It cost nothing to smile and be polite, so why expect to get paid for it?

Jeid
06-Sep-06, 11:18
Why do u let your kids run around in just their socks?

Nevermind that.... why do they let their kids run around? The amount of times I've taken tea round to the bouncy castle area and almost spilled it on children is ridiculous. The play area is the bouncy castle... not the area around the tables.

mareng
06-Sep-06, 12:35
I am going to be the devils advocate on this one, I dissagree that our cousins over the pond are better at providing service than us. I was in my early years in the catering trade and as a Steward on passenger liners, I had to rely on graturities to earn a living wage ( and we were taxed on them whether you got them or not) , so I had to be polite or no gratuity.
Then the Catering industry intoduced "Service Charges" this effectively did away with the habit of giving a gratutity. So IMHO this meant service went downhill from then on.
In my recent life as a retired person, I have worked for both Asda and Sainsburys and the staff training make a very big thing in instructing their staff if you are at a till, to make eye contact, speak politlely, and be helpful, on the shop floor also, if stopped by a customer and asked a question, you were expected to give that customer your full attention, (they could be the mystery shopper) yes both stores employ such people to go around and assess customer service.
I am now providing another service type job as a Tour Guide, and this is one job you HAVE to be polite, but strangely we get very few tips on this job, and we are not allowed to tout for them either.
It cost nothing to smile and be polite, so why expect to get paid for it?

I think they do generally give better service, but that we are not used to it, find it strange and therefor are suspicious of it.

We find the "have a nice day" parting shot to be unusual and doubt its sincerity - but maybe it is sincere?

What really makes my knuckles itch is the replacement of the simple word "now" with .... "at this time".

"At this time, we will be boarding business class passengers"

"At this time, we ask all passengers................."

Aaaarrggghhh!

henry20
06-Sep-06, 16:00
I have to agree with Jeid on this discussion - if you want something done, you have to make an official complaint at the time - do you really think bad mouthing on the forum would make a blind bit of difference? unless that is, some member of staff sees the forum and takes the initiative to pass the complaint on - obviously there is some initiative within the staff :)

On the whole children getting dirty socks (good point Moncur about broken glass) it is shocking to see the state the tables are left in when customers leave - and not just ones with children. A little bit of respect is required from all angles!

connieb19
06-Sep-06, 18:42
Nevermind that.... why do they let their kids run around? The amount of times I've taken tea round to the bouncy castle area and almost spilled it on children is ridiculous. The play area is the bouncy castle... not the area around the tables.
Also why do people let their children run around with dirty hands and snottery noses, no wonder the tables are grubby and sticky. it only takes a minute to clean their hands and faces. YUK!! It's enough to put you off your dinner. [evil]

ice box
06-Sep-06, 18:42
Yeah... you can come in and do it :Dsorry mate i'm to busy doing my on duties in my own job to be training others [lol]

Jeid
06-Sep-06, 19:41
Also why do people let their children run around with dirty hands and snottery noses, no wonder the tables are grubby and sticky. it only takes a minute to clean their hands and faces. YUK!! It's enough to put you off your dinner. [evil]

Very good point. I could go on a rant about some of the things children get up to... not really worth the effort tbh.

mareng
06-Sep-06, 22:29
I have to agree with Jeid on this discussion - if you want something done, you have to make an official complaint at the time - do you really think bad mouthing on the forum would make a blind bit of difference? unless that is, some member of staff sees the forum and takes the initiative to pass the complaint on - obviously there is some initiative within the staff :)

Possibly correct, so I would advocate:

1) Complain there and then.

2) Leave and eat elsewhere in case they "modify" your meal.

3) Post on Caithness.org under the "recommended" section. Keep it factual.

4) Ignore all those that tell you "I had a wonderful meal there" - they make no difference to the bad experience you had.

Big G
06-Sep-06, 22:42

it only takes a minute to clean a table! the dirty tables are enough to put you off your dinner too!

connieb19
06-Sep-06, 22:56
it only takes a minute to clean a table! the dirty tables are enough to put you off your dinner too!Why do some people have to make such a mess when they're eating anyway. Surely it's not that difficult to get the food from the plate to their mouth without it going everywhere. [disgust]

Jeid
06-Sep-06, 23:07
This thread is really starting to bore me. No convincing some people that making a point of the problem at the time is actually the only way to deal with a problem.

I've apologised several times. What else do you expect me to do? I wasn't even working in the Central at the time.

Henry20, Buggyracer, connieb19 etc have all hit the nail on the head. The service industry is a two way thing. You ask we provide the service. There are some elements that we should be providing without asking(cleaning tables being one of them admittedly), but if you don't ask, you don't get. It's as simple as that.

This thread has veered waaay off the original point.

I passed the message on because the poster never bothered at the time. Some people do have initiative, I'm sorry the staff at the time of your meal never.

Apologies all round.

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Sep-06, 04:17
Just don't tempt them to visit bitter waitress dot com. Oops!

Sporran
07-Sep-06, 05:48

Yes, it is true that bar and restaurant staff are paid less than minimum wage in the USA. The Federal minimum wage is $5.15 an hour (about 2 pounds 73 pence), and has been since 1997. I think it's a disgrace that it has remained that low for 9 years! It certainly wasn't a living wage back then and it's even less of one now. The state that we live in goes by the Federal minimum wage of $5.15. My sons have a couple of friends who work as servers at restaurants, and they only make $2.50 an hour (about 1 pound 32 pence).

connieb19
07-Sep-06, 22:26
Well, I went to the Central tonight for dinner. My friend and I had the macaroni cheese and it was lovely, the service was excellent, and guess what? my socks are still clean!!
I rekon some of the negative comments on this thread are just a case of sour grapes. Brian Cardossi has worked hard over the years to have what he has now, it's just a fact of life theat some people are jealous when they see some-one do well for themseves.

angela5
07-Sep-06, 23:09
Well, I went to the Central tonight for dinner. My friend and I had the macaroni cheese and it was lovely, the service was excellent, and guess what? my socks are still clean!!
I rekon some of the negative comments on this thread are just a case of sour grapes. Brian Cardossi has worked hard over the years to have what he has now, it's just a fact of life theat some people are jealous when they see some-one do well for themseves.

You never went out with hair like that did ye?[lol]

connieb19
07-Sep-06, 23:17
You never went out with hair like that did ye?[lol]
Aye, but I kept my hat on..:eek:

saxovtr
07-Sep-06, 23:36
as if he is worried about dirty tables,never seen that man break a smile,customer service is next to none in that place,hence why i havnt been in that place for 3 years,wont be setting foot back in any of his property again clean rip off

connieb19
07-Sep-06, 23:40
as if he is worried about dirty tables,never seen that man break a smile,customer service is next to none in that place,hence why i havnt been in that place for 3 years,wont be setting foot back in any of his property again clean rip off
Has it really been as long as 3 years since they stopped the kiddies discos? My, how time flies.lol:roll:

saxovtr
07-Sep-06, 23:41
miss them do you

willowbankbear
07-Sep-06, 23:42
Has it really been as long as 3 years since they stopped the kiddies discos? My, how time flies.lol:roll:

Bouncy castles are still there for Saxo[lol]

saxovtr
07-Sep-06, 23:47
i would not set foot in that place if ya paid me

golach
08-Sep-06, 00:06
Ye were niver owld enough till get served there 3 years ago

Naefearjustbeer
08-Sep-06, 00:25
Meybe got thrown out for being underage ! and is still banned ;)

connieb19
08-Sep-06, 00:36
Meybe got thrown out for being underage ! and is still banned ;)
Maybe it was him wiping his bogies on the curtains..:(

bigjjuk
08-Sep-06, 12:45
man, now thats what i call a huge fuss about something tiny.
End result:

complain on a forum i think is acceptable because if someone from the central was reading (Jeid) something gets done about it.

Complain on here yes but surely a complaint in person to the manager is expected, how can they improve if no feedback is left????????

Everyone loves and hates different places, i think central is very good, other people (saxo) :) thinks not, freedom of choice. Lets leave it at that eh????

big spam about nothing