PDA

View Full Version : Lung worm

shazzap
06-Apr-11, 22:30
Just seen an advert for this. I had never heard of this.

http://www.lungworm.co.uk/scripts/pages/en/home.php

_Ju_
07-Apr-11, 08:00
In the UK it has tended to appear in southern England and Wales. It lives in the blood stream (heart and pulmonary arteries) and is similair to heart worm (Dirofilarioses) that there is alot of in the warmer areas of Europe (and USA). I don't know if the UK never had these diseases before animals could travel on their own passport, but with more animals traveling and with climates changing, it is inevitable that parasites will travel as well, along with their intermediate hosts.
A few times I would speak with people caravan holidaying in Portugal in areas where dirofilaria and Leishamaniosis was prevalent that had no idea of this. While little can be done to prevent some of these diseases, others have simple preventative measures, but people tended not to inform themselves before traveling.
I think that the risk of exposure up here for lungworm is extremely low. But then I haven't found any papers mapping this far up north, so your best bet about whether to use prevention would be to ask your local vet.

Hogfather
07-Apr-11, 13:21
Saw a fairly recent paper reporting A. vasorum in Glasgow, but also haven't seen anything published for further north.

Another good reason to worm your dogs properly, I think :Razz (AFAIK several of the 'normal' wormers (vet ones) are effective against A. vasorum, but don't have refs to hand)

shazzap
07-Apr-11, 14:20
In the UK it has tended to appear in southern England and Wales. It lives in the blood stream (heart and pulmonary arteries) and is similair to heart worm (Dirofilarioses) that there is alot of in the warmer areas of Europe (and USA). I don't know if the UK never had these diseases before animals could travel on their own passport, but with more animals traveling and with climates changing, it is inevitable that parasites will travel as well, along with their intermediate hosts.
A few times I would speak with people caravan holidaying in Portugal in areas where dirofilaria and Leishamaniosis was prevalent that had no idea of this. While little can be done to prevent some of these diseases, others have simple preventative measures, but people tended not to inform themselves before traveling.
I think that the risk of exposure up here for lungworm is extremely low. But then I haven't found any papers mapping this far up north, so your best bet about whether to use prevention would be to ask your local vet.

Saw a fairly recent paper reporting A. vasorum in Glasgow, but also haven't seen anything published for further north.

Another good reason to worm your dogs properly, I think :Razz (AFAIK several of the 'normal' wormers (vet ones) are effective against A. vasorum, but don't have refs to hand)

It was an ad, on TV last night. I presume there must be cases of it in the Uk, and in my region ( East Yorkshire ). Why would they bother, if not.

Hogfather
07-Apr-11, 14:47
Hehehe, not saying 'we don't get that in these parts' (and don't think Ju was either), although I don't know if it's been reported this far north, it's pretty much considered endemic these days 'down south' and has been spreading up the way over the past couple of decades.

I'm glad none of mine are partial to a sluggy snack, but they are wormed every 3 months anyway.

Good review of heart and lungworms in Europe for the science geeks - Traversa et al (2010). Parasites & Vectors 3, p62-84.

shazzap
07-Apr-11, 15:00
I am only going by what i have read, but you seem more knowledgeable. It states that you have to have a special wormer for this, do you know if that is correct.
My dog is a very fussy eater, so i don't think he will want to snack on slugs. But if there is a chance of this, i would rather be for armed.:)

Hogfather
07-Apr-11, 17:01
OK, from memory (so might be rubbish:Razz) fenbendazole and milbemycin are effective (so Panacur and Milbemax, and I 'think' one of the active's in Drontal is metabolised to fenbendazole so that as well), but because the jiggers are only present in the digestive tract for part of the life cycle it needs repeated treatments - logically this would suggest that adult worms already in the heart/blood vessels won't be touched by these drugs? Dunno?

However, one of the 'spot-on's' (Advocate? Advantage?) is supposed to be the 'daddy' for beasting A. vasorum:)

Can go and find papers (if you really want them;)), but your vet will keep you right, and his memory is bound to be loads better than mine!!!

(I've got a weeks holiday and I spend it reading papers about worms, hehehe - the party never stops in my house!)

_Ju_
07-Apr-11, 20:40
It was an ad, on TV last night. I presume there must be cases of it in the Uk, and in my region ( East Yorkshire ). Why would they bother, if not.
I did not say it did not exist in the UK (last time I checked Wales and Southern England were UK). This far north any case is only significant if infection occurred up here and not when the dogs "was on holiday" with his owners somewhere where the infection is prevalent. That is why, as I said in my first post, your local vet who knows the area and what is about is the best person to tell you if there is risk of exposure.
Why would Bayer pay good money to publicize their medication all over the UK (yes, because the add is on in Scotland as well)? Because it is great for business. Many owners will feel they
would rather be for armed

Not all de-wormers will prevent infestation. Intestinal de-wormers will have a very limited effect. What you want to do is use a wormer with a systemic effect that kills any developing larvae that might have been ingested. the one you use will depend on your dog and any potential breed sensitivities to certain medications. Again it is get advice from your regular vet.

shazzap
08-Apr-11, 17:52
I did not say it did not exist in the UK (last time I checked Wales and Southern England were UK). This far north any case is only significant if infection occurred up here and not when the dogs "was on holiday" with his owners somewhere where the infection is prevalent. That is why, as I said in my first post, your local vet who knows the area and what is about is the best person to tell you if there is risk of exposure.
Why would Bayer pay good money to publicize their medication all over the UK (yes, because the add is on in Scotland as well)? Because it is great for business. Many owners will feel they

Not all de-wormers will prevent infestation. Intestinal de-wormers will have a very limited effect. What you want to do is use a wormer with a systemic effect that kills any developing larvae that might have been ingested. the one you use will depend on your dog and any potential breed sensitivities to certain medications. Again it is get advice from your regular vet.

I didn't mean that you never said it was in the uk, i was just making a statement. Not being antagonistic, to wards any one . You are coming over very hostile, I am not thick, i know where Wales and Southern England are.