PDA

View Full Version : RAF Nimrod crash

Sandra
04-Sep-06, 20:08
I'm surprised this tradegy hasn't had a mention on here, especially as Steve Irwin's death has got a mention.

My thoughts are with the families.

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 20:10
So can you tell us more about it then?

Fran
04-Sep-06, 20:13
Yes it sure is a shame i bet these guys have been up flying round Wick a few times as the Nimrods always seem to come up and fly over Wick on their practice runs, my heart goes out to all their families

Sandra
04-Sep-06, 20:13
try this link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/5310040.stm

Big Jean
04-Sep-06, 20:31
Terribly sad news . Our sympathy to all the families .

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 20:35
Would it not be a good thing to send a message of condolence/sympathy from here to Kinloss esp if the planes used Caithness?

sam
04-Sep-06, 20:47
what a terrible tragedy, my heart goes out to the families:~(

percy toboggan
04-Sep-06, 20:58
I agree Sandra. It's strange how all manner of things get discussed here from launderettes & pot holes in the roads and yet fourteen of our finest perish in some God forsaken corner of a foreign country trying to help keep us safe it's barely covered. I'm as guilty as anyone.

These guys deserve our recognition and their families deserve the utmost sympathy.

pultneytooner
04-Sep-06, 21:41
Strange phenomenon how the death of steve irwin is getting more attention on these boards than the deaths of these 14 R.A.F lads.

golach
04-Sep-06, 22:20
Strange phenomenon how the death of steve irwin is getting more attention on these boards than the deaths of these 14 R.A.F lads.
I agree, but the 14 servicemen, were not on TV every day if you have Sky, as Steve Irwin was.
And what were they doing, just their job, not chasing after some Croc, as if they were Crocodile Dundee's.
I have nothing but sympathy for those guys and their familys, they died doing a thankless job.

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 22:20
It is strange, but I think a lot of people just dont know what to say in these circumstances, myself included. :( It's a tragedy and like someone else said, it would be good if we could send our sympathys from here.

pultneytooner
04-Sep-06, 22:38
I agree, but the 14 servicemen, were not on TV every day if you have Sky, as Steve Irwin was.
And what were they doing, just their job, not chasing after some Croc, as if they were Crocodile Dundee's.
I have nothing but sympathy for those guys and their familys, they died doing a thankless job.
I know what you mean, some people seem to feel a connection to celebrities that are on television the whole time. Very complicated things, human emotions.:confused

Whitewater
05-Sep-06, 09:25
It does seem strange that there was no mention. I think many people have difficulty dealing with a tragedy close to home, and perhaps out of respect they do not want to become involved in a discussion on here, I feel like that, all I can do is offer condolences to their families and friends. They were all heros.

doyle
17-Sep-06, 20:20
I am just back from my holidays and catching up on the forum. We were caravanning just outside RAF Kinloss when this tragedy happened. The site we were on was right at the end of the runway. Nimrods taking off and landing all day, testing their engines at 2.30am some mornings. It never bothered us at all coz we were there last year and knew what to expect noise wise. What was really strange was the two days they stopped flying as a mark of respect for these 14 men. I could not stop thinking about all the families/friends/colleagues affected by this tragedy and what they must all be going through. Although i never knew anyone in the community I felt I wanted to do something. So on the Sunday morning I drove into town and bought some flowers and laid them at the gates of the base. My sympathies are with them all.