PDA

View Full Version : Smelly waxed coat

badger
12-Oct-04, 12:27
If I can't find an answer to this problem I'm going to give this coat to anyone willing to take it! I have a full length waxed coat bought nearly three years ago but hardly worn and in perfect condition, except .... it smells. It always has smelt a bit and at first I thought this would just wear off but it didn't and now I've decided I really don't want to keep it in the house any longer for the few occasions it gets worn as even wearing it outside I feel I have to keep away from other people. It's not a strong smell but it's just there. It doesn't need rewaxing (and I've been told that wouldn't cure it), you can't wash or clean it. I tried hanging it out in the wind and rain for two days and it was fine outside but as soon as it came in and got a bit warm it started again, so now it's hanging in the garage.

If anyone has an answer I'd be grateful. Or you can come and take it away. It says size S but that must be mansize as I'm a medium female (certainly not small!).

Naefearjustbeer
12-Oct-04, 23:39
You get used to the smell.
I dont think it will fade much I have had a wax jacket for a while and it still smells. It has been worn in the worst of weathers and has had quite a battering in the wind rain and snow and Yup its still smells

William
13-Oct-04, 00:07
My grandad has one of them and he wears it the whole time it is well worn but it still smells the way it did when he got it, but i don't mind the smell of it i think it has grown on me, just think it could be worse

badger
14-Oct-04, 11:15
Believe me I would persevere with it as the smell when it's cold is not that bad so long as I keep my distance but where to keep it? It's too cold and damp to wear after hanging in the garage and any room I keep it inside immediately starts to smell. Also it gets worse when it's warm and smells really horrible so can't be kept near anything else. I'd give it to a charity shop but don't think it would be very charitable.

Fran
15-Oct-04, 13:16
:D a wax jacket can be put in a tumble dryer LOW heat with a sachet of drycleaning, (its for tumble dryer use only can be purchased in a supermarket for dry cleaning). This works well and things are cleaned without water, and come out smelling fresh. Alternatively, go to the library and look at the book "home Remedies" and your answer will be in there.

badger
17-Oct-04, 17:50
Thanks Fran. Never would have thought of the tumble dryer but I'll try it. I did actually email the company I thought made it (it has no name) and they suggested spraying with one of those fabric sprays but that made no difference. Also spent some time searching web but found nothing helpful so will try library. I now have a smelly garage :~(